[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who the fuck says this game is any good? It's a fucking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (69KB, 250x342px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
69KB, 250x342px
Who the fuck says this game is any good? It's a fucking disaster and that's coming from someone who loves the NES and its library. People who like this don't know vidya.
>>
>>4134483

you should have one of your hands surgically removed as penalty for having such absolute shit taste in video games.
>>
>>4134483
git gud
>>
Please explain why instead of calling it shit without reasoning.
>>
>>4134483
Can I please play some of the games you like? They must be all absolute, shining masterpieces that will literally make me shit myself if you tihnk Bucky O'Hare is a 'fucking disaster'.

...Or you're just shit at it.
>>
Jesus Christ, there is a character limit on this board? This SERIOUSLY is for people with ADHD. So I need to split my reply, no one will read, into parts...
--------------

The NES is my favourite system with an amazing catalog. There are too many great games I like so I will just name a few in no particular order. Feel free to complain because those titles aren't weird obscure games no one has ever heard of. Also with so many great titles I feel like I am allowed to dislike Bucky O'Hare.

Duck Tales 1 and 2,
Kirby's Adventure
Kickle Cubicle
Conquest of the Crystal Palace
Kid Dracula
River City Ransom
Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu
StarTropics
Wai Wai World 2
Panic Restaurant

So now that I've got your attention (people tend to ignore long OPs. Might be a case of ADHD) I will tell you what's wrong with Bucky O'Hare. Also I am NOT HERE to get your absolution. I don't need to hear
>You are totally right, OP! I couldn't agree more.
I like it if people convince me that I am wrong and if we just get a discussion and conversation about this game started. We are all here because we share a passion for retro games. I notice how people really like Bucky O'Hare and I simply can not understand this passion.
>>
First of all I am already disappointed how lame the names of the planets are. Blue planet, red planet and a green planet that isn't even green but brown and a yellow planet that's brown as well...oh well...

So here are the good things: You can shoot up and down. Now that's a plus. The first part of the green planet just stretches out and is very unimaginative and poor level design at it's finest. After that long horizontal stretch it certainly gets way more interesting and we get treated with a vertical scrolling part. A real treat after that long stretched horizontal bore. So now we are on those tree branches. You stand on one too long it will fall down and you die. This game has a lot of unfair moments where you just die and you have to learn it the hard way.
>Games used to be like this. Little kids these days won't know our struggle
Yadda yadda, I'm a kid of the 80s. Anyways You then have those swinging platforms, you see it swing away, stand on a branch and hope for the platform to swing to your way but before it does yoru branch will drop down which means DEATH. You can leave the screen, reenter it but once again the platform will swing away. After ages I figured out you can jump like a maniac on a branch which will reset the counter for how long you can stand on it. Fucking logical. Jumping up and down on a branch that's about to drop...I thought the first time you would step on a branch you will trigger this event which kicks off after time X instead of counting for how long you stand on a branch.
While we are at it the controls are kinda weird as well. You have a JUMP button and a button for shooting. Now if you hold down the SHOOTING button he will charge a super jump. Why they didn't do holding down the JUMP button in order to charge a super jump is beyond me. Now you have got a shitload of lifes. That's really nice but a lot of things are perma death. Hey ride on this log. You step into water - perma death...
>>
File: 08-14.png (645KB, 758x504px) Image search: [Google]
08-14.png
645KB, 758x504px
So the game makes it look as if you could just play ANY level you like. Free choice just like DuckTales or Mega Man...nope. You HAVE to start with the green planet. If you play the blue planet - the ice level you will face a wall of ice cubes which you can't pass. You will try to slide under those and anything but you won't be able to progress. Great so it's a dead end. What do I do? Can I go back to the world map? Nope. You are fucking stuck and have to commit suicide. You could also restart the game but then you need to watch the annoying intro AGAIN which takes way too fucking long and you can't skip it. Fuck you, Bucky!

So how do you pass that ice cube wall? You need to beat the green planet first in order to unlock one of your team members, a robot which can destroy those ice cubes. So how the fuck are you supposed to know this? You can't. That's the thing. It's piss poor game design at it's finest. They give you the impression that you have a free choice of any level and then you take a level but you are stuck and you can't progress any further and suicide is your only way out. What a shitty game.
>>
So having to do levels in a certain order without warning is a deal breaker, but Ducktales is your favorite game?
>>
>>4134483
Well, if you go in looking for a totally unique experience yah, you may be disappointed. It plays and handles like a lot of platformers of its era.

However, if you want to play 5 characters while similar have unique talents through a fairly long chunk of stages that have the snakes from BattleToads, lava from Gradius, the lasers from Quick-Man without the drawbacks of their cheap live systems? Have you played all the classics but want a sort of remixed repainted and oft more challenging rendition of some of your favorite shit from those games?

That is when you pull out Bucky O'Hare.

Also, it is a damn good looking NES game and it would say it's quick lasers are far more challenging than Mega-Mans and it's BWOOP blocks are straight dicks.

You'll notice those who sing this games praises are the types who've beaten the Mega-Mans and the Marios. They wanted similar gameplay but to up the difficulty a bit.

Bucky O' Hare delivers and its soundtrack is pretty bitchin' too. But maybe emulate it, I got this puppy when it was $50 I think it's stupid expensive now.
>>
>>4135783

You don't seem to understand it. I can play ANY level I want in Ducktales. I can beat those levels. In Bucky you simply are STUCK. You can not progress any further because there is a wall in your way and the only way out is SUICIDE. There is no Launchpad who will take you back. Nope suicide or reset the game...

Ducktales adds a replay value as well. You gain an item in one level which you can later use in another level to unlock something which you couldn't get before. So that's something totally different. Also having to play levels in a certain order isn't a problem but don't make it look as if I had a choice in the first place then. Being stuck in a game and making it unbeatable is just a dickmove.

Do you see the difference here and why this sucks?
DuckTales is never unfair.
>>
File: Ducktales widescreen edition.jpg (400KB, 1873x485px) Image search: [Google]
Ducktales widescreen edition.jpg
400KB, 1873x485px
>>4135835
>Also having to play levels in a certain order isn't a problem but don't make it look as if I had a choice in the first place then
>>
>>4135729
>river city ransom
Stop playing shitty localizations and I'll take you seriously.
>>
>>4135731
you sound bad and your shit's all retarded
>>
There was already a Bucky O'Hare thread >>4123126

maybe you think your opinion deserves its own thread
>>
>>4135731
> The first part of the green planet just stretches out and is very unimaginative and poor level design at it's finest. After that long horizontal stretch it certainly gets way more interesting and we get treated with a vertical scrolling part. A real treat after that long stretched horizontal bore.

That's just ridiculous. There is a lot more to it to the first scroll of the green planet. You have to aim carefully, jump, avoid the bullets, you have the choice between going on the lower path or the upper path, collect the power up...

Also, that part is OBVIOUSLY designed to be first part of the game, to teach the player the basic controls, aiming, jumping distances, etc it does it jump perfectly at that

I say obviously because you're missing two things with your obsession over level selection: the green planet is by default the first on the stage select screen, and it also is the one with the smallest size and the most friendly colour, indicating it should be the easiest/first to play.

Also, the fact that you can choose another stage, only to realize you have to backtrack to find something to unlock the path, adds an "adventure" element to it. Like you're really exploring and overcoming an alien world.

I can't believe I'm the one defending Bucky O'Hare, but honestly your description sounds like you play for a few mins and just laid down some superficial thoughts.
>>
>>4135907

I have to debunk your "adventure" part because IF I could go back in the ice level , back to the planet selection, it would be okay but seriously
SUICIDE IS THE ONLY WAY OUT.

Why won't nobody address this even? In DuckTales I can always find Launchpad and travel back while here I am just STUCK. That's it. No indicator what to do.
>>
>>4135928
>Why won't nobody address this even?
Because suiciding in Bucky is faster than finding Launchpad in DT. It's not like you lose anything except your life bar upgrades from having a game over anyway.
>>
>>4135907
>I can't believe I'm the one defending Bucky O'Hare
What's that supposed to mean u fat frog? U don't usually like the game or what?
>>
>>4134483
I hate it too
>>
>>4135907
>I am agreeing with NESfag
Congrats I'm proud of you. We'll go back to disagreeing next thread
>>
Is this one of those games that are OK to hate because they are expensive and everyone want them?

I emulated it, thought it was good. Standard Konami quality from these days.
Gyatto gyuddo, Oppu.
>>
It's like jazz: ypu gotta think of the problems it DOESN'T have.
Mainly, it was a liscensed game that DIDN'T suck bsolute pixel pole.
If you DO vidya as you say you did/do, then you should KNOW the struggle of waiting alllllll fuggin week to rent a game and being disillusioned by back to the future
willow
talespin
darkwing duck
lord of the rings(snes)
MOST of th xmen games
MOST of the spider man games
superman
conan
and so many more....so many...
So yes, considering alllll that, it IS a great game and now I wish I had it so I coupd finally beat that fucker.
>>
that quickman wannabe stage on the red planet is garbage (just like quickman's stage)
the game was really good until that part
>>
>>4140391
Agreed
>>
>>4137942
is it really expensive?
I have a copy, since I was young not sure where I got it, maybe from the flea market
It is a great game
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.