[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Someone made a hard mode hack of Paper Mario. https://www.y

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 7

File: 1471844782996.jpg (733KB, 900x741px) Image search: [Google]
1471844782996.jpg
733KB, 900x741px
Someone made a hard mode hack of Paper Mario.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxr5B0qZ8i0

Anyone else tried this? So far I'm enjoying it. Just beat Koopa Bros Fortress and I've actually had three game overs so far. Those were mostly from enemies that took me by surprise, but still, it's really nice to have a challenging version of the game to play.

The trailer showed some new architecture but I think it's just a bonus area in shooting star summit, so far the geography everywhere else is all the same.

This rom hack has also given me a new appreciation for badges I don't normally use. Hammer toss is basically mandatory, and Flower Finder has helped a shitload since I'm aiming for a mostly fp/bp build.

This can be a Paper Mario thread or an N64 ROMhacks thread. Or both, whichever way the conversation swings.
>>
>>4133291
Looks cool, thanks for posting. I tried doing an earlier hack and didn't work, hopefully this one does and it looks a lot more interesting.

Just wish they could have added greater partner autonomy like in Thousand year door, I realize that would be a tall order.
>>
Has anyone figured out a way to speed up the slow start menu (pj64)? Got the game to run by disabling register caching but now at Goomba Village it's taking 7 seconds to open the menu and it feels like a deal killer right now. I pressed start for the first time right before the first save block and thought I froze the game it was so sluggish.

Quickly skimming for menu transitions trying to avoid spoilers on youtube I clocked one guy in at 3 seconds and another at 7.
>>
File: pmdesert.png (263KB, 620x450px) Image search: [Google]
pmdesert.png
263KB, 620x450px
There's some altered geography after all. Almost the whole desert is different, it's not possible to stay on the path and just go straight to the town.

>>4134368
For me it's about a 3 second delay. Annoying when I want to switch out badges but not too bad. Remember that there are hotkeys for partner and item menus, that saves a lot of time.

>avoid spoilers
Have you actually not played Paper Mario before?
>>
The red clubbas in chapter 3 are bullshit.
>>
>>4134778
Woah that's cool. K-keep is posted.
>>
>>4135396
>K-keep is posted.
I don't know what you're trying to say here. If you mean keep us posted then I can do that, and let you guys know about any other significant changes I find. But the stutter thing is something people usually only do here when they're mocking someone, so if this is coming across as blog-y or something then I can fuck off.
>>
>>4135524
No I'm legitmately interested in other changes, pls post screenshots thx.
>>
File: jrtroopa3.png (214KB, 598x416px) Image search: [Google]
jrtroopa3.png
214KB, 598x416px
>>4136129
Alright, I'll let you know about the changes I've come across so far.

Starting with general stuff, all enemies do twice as much damage as normal. Blocking lowers damage by 2 instead of 1, and the badge that normally adds 1 to your block's effect adds 2 instead. So with that badge you can block for up to 4 damage. This badge is basically required. Blocking is much harder to do.

Enemy attacks are at a different speed than the normal game. While some are MUCH faster than normal, not all of them are. Goombas jump slower and lower than normal and clubbas stall before hitting you, for example. This actually makes blocking them more difficult than if it was fast imo.

Enemy formations are almost all different, you're much more likely to have a bunch of spiked enemies behind normal ones where you can't reach them. Certain enemies show up earlier than normal, there were two clubbas in Koopa Bros fortress and lava bubbles wandering around dry dry desert. They aren't weakened to compensate for this, these later game enemies still do twice as much damage as in normal Paper Mario. It's actually in your best interest to run away from certain battles.

There's a few new enemies and badges. Boos in the sewers and bigger, red clubbas in chapter 3. The red fuckers can outrun you and hit for 10 damage per attack. 12 damage if they use a special attack that can also shrink you, but it's less common.

This fucker has 40 health in this fight and can summon dry bones. He has backup in almost all his fights, in the fight after chapter 1 he had a pair of spy guys helping him. If you don't defeat the normal enemies soon enough after beating him, he'll get back up with partial health. Same thing happened with the chapter 2 boss and his chomp, which he'll re-summon if you don't beat him quickly enough after.

Just started chapter 4.
>>
File: quiz.png (192KB, 599x406px) Image search: [Google]
quiz.png
192KB, 599x406px
Also you can keep answering quiz questions until you get one wrong. They're all a lot more difficult than normal. What did the red koopa bros says his name was when disguised as a toad? Which of these species was absent from Peach's party? Stuff like that.
>>
File: wall.png (316KB, 599x408px) Image search: [Google]
wall.png
316KB, 599x408px
And this has nothing to do with the hack but Paper Mario has some stupid invisible walls. There's no reason I shouldn't be able to jump over this.

Still love the game though.
>>
File: boos.png (260KB, 603x415px) Image search: [Google]
boos.png
260KB, 603x415px
>>4137538
Here are the boo enemies.
>>
>>4134778
I want to keep the Pro Mode changes a surprise.
>>
remember to answer every question wrong on the second door at bowsers castle
>>
Does this work on an actual Nintendo 64?
>>
thanks for posting your impressions! hack seems very thorough.
>>
File: hammerbro.png (762KB, 1191x808px) Image search: [Google]
hammerbro.png
762KB, 1191x808px
Koopa Bros. really stepped up their pleasant path patrol troops.
>>
>>4138172
Then don't read the thread nerd.
>>
>>4133291
I played it and my casual ass got rekt hard
>>
One of the badge descriptions is kind of misleading, and it helps a shitload to know that. I'm gonna spoiler it anyway for any anons who want to figure strategies out on their own, as it isn't TOTALLY bullshit or anything, the description just doesn't tell you all the effects the badge really has. And at a certain point you basically need to figure out the extra bonuses this badge provides, unless you're godly at blocking.

Feelin Fine protects against ALL status ailments, not just poison/dizziness.

There was a boss fight that almost made me quit playing because I didn't know this. I think the fight would be borderline impossible or just luck based without the badge. But I eventually figured it out via experimentation since I kept losing, and I had enough reason to think this badge might work here so I can't totally fault the game for being misleading. It gave me what I needed to eventually figure out a working strategy myself. I'll just think of it as another part of the challenge to overcome I guess.

>>4141086
How far did you get before giving up?
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.