[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey, I recently got the urge to finally try the N64 Zelda games.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: majora.jpg (194KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
majora.jpg
194KB, 1200x800px
Hey, I recently got the urge to finally try the N64 Zelda games.

I want to start with Majora's Mask but I have heard that it's a direct sequel to Ocarina Of Time.

So should I start with OoT instead?
>>
>>4131389
Majora's Mask used a lot of textures from Ocarina of Time because it was made in a short time frame (less than a year compared to OoT that was in development for almost 5 years) and gameplay wise it uses the same basic controls but story wise you won't exactly miss out on it. There's very little that's referred directly and a lot of people even prefer MM because of the sidequests and the characters, although OoT might be more interesting to start with if you never played a 3D Zelda before.

I think they're both amazing and both are worth checking out but again, it's not like you have to play OoT to understand MM but it's not as terrible as some contrarians/hipsters make it sound like. I'd say, look up some gameplay footage and see for yourself.

PS Go for the 3DS versions, they run on a higher framerate and got some other small fixes that can make your first playthrough a lot less annoying.
>>
>>4131389
The stories have almost nothing to do with each other so play whichever you like first.
>>
Ocarina of Time happened, Link returned the Master Sword to its pedestal so he returned to being a kid. Then he and his horse fucked off into the wilderness and that's when Majora's Mask starts. There, you're caught up on OoT's story.
>>
>>4131389
Not necessarily.

OoT would familiarize you with the basics of the combat and other various mechanics, but their stories don't really tie together after the first 5 minutes.

MM is more complicated with a more interesting story while OoT is a more straightforward Zelda experience.

I think MM is better overall but I find myself replaying OoT more often.
>>
>>4131389
Storywise you can play either. Majoras Mask is a more experimental game than OoT, and was pretty divisive when it came out (though time has been very kind to it's reputation). They're both great but you should really play Ocarina first since it set the gold standard for 3d zelda. MM objectively has a lot of filler and feels more "cheap"/rushed, but it's got a really strong and unique atmosphere - genuinely creepy, unsettling and dreadful.
>>
>>4131389
You don't "need" to start with OoT. The beginning of Majora's Mask directly lies to you by pretending to have anything to do with OoT, but it doesn't. It recycles just about every asset though. Starting with Majora's Mask might also prevent you from being disappointed by how short it is in comparison.
>>
>>4131389

they're not really related story wise but Majora's Mask was designed assuming you had basically mastered OoT's systems. I think it would be kind of a harsh introduction.
>>
>>4131453
>t's an official rom hack of OoT
By this logic Uncharted 2 is a ROM hack of Uncharted 1
>>
>>4131487
What brings you to this conclusion?
>>
>>4131453
This post is false, because Majora's Mask is actually Nintendo's masterpiece and no part of it could be described as "bland".
>>
>>4131389
I don't think it matters a whole lot. I started with MM first (second Zelda game I ever played, after LA) and then I played OoT a couple years later. You won't miss anything in terms of story and you won't have any trouble with the mechanics if you play MM first.

For a while I liked OoT better than MM, but now I'm pretty sure I like MM better. If anything, I guess I would recommend playing OoT first, since MM reuses many of the same characters from OoT, but in a distorted dreamlike fashion, and the deja vu effect won't be as powerful if you didn't play OoT first.
>>
>>4131647
>Majora's Mask
>Nintendo's masterpiece
Pick one.
>>
>>4131487
>>4131647
>replying to bait instead of ignoring it
INB4 "nice try samefag"
INB4 triggered or some other buzzword
>>
OOT is the base, MM is its subversion.

OOT is miles better, but Majora is interesting
>>
Majora's Mask is basically Ocarina of Time on drugs.

MM builds on OoT's gameplay by adding some new mechanics. Or, I wouldn't say build, but rather change.

Majora's Mask has better gameplay, sidequests and SLIGHTLY improved graphics, but is matched or outperformed in every other department.
>>
>>4131389

I'd say that, if you're going to play Majora's Mask, beware that the introduction of that game might not be what you'd expect since Link is turned into a Deku Scrub right away.

The consensus seems to be that OoT is the favorite of the two. Majora's Mask expands upon certain things such as side quests, introduces a 3 day timeline system and is loved for it's oddball-qualities.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.