[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright /vr/ if you could buy a handheld to your own specifications

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 7

File: handheld-console.jpg (36KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
handheld-console.jpg
36KB, 600x338px
Alright /vr/ if you could buy a handheld to your own specifications what are your must have features?
>>
60 inch 1080p flat screen display.
>>
I'd be happy with basically a New 3DS that was backward compatible all the way back to the Game Boy.
>>
Cast Iron casing with egg resistant screens.
>>
>>4130220
something like the vita but the size of the gameboy micro with an sd card slot. basically something small that i can play retro shit and indie shit on.
>>
>>4130225
And has link cable functionality, either through a physical port or through emulating it on the wireless connection.
>>
All I want is my phone but with integrated snes-layout buttons.
>>
small CRT with RGB
>>
>>4130220
something the size of a large modern smartphone but that slides open so you have buttons and a display with no bezels. so basically a better psp go with two analog sticks.
It should run Android so it can function as a phone as well. no way I'm carrying two devices.
>>
>>4130220
>>4130224
HDMI out.
Controller support.
>>
>>4130220
Thats a cool looking gameboy. Concept art or fanmade fantasy rendition.
>>
neo geo pocket stick, gba buttons, emulation
>>
>>4130220
Six New3DS buttons on front, with SNES like bumpers on back, with a 720p screen, FPGA for everything 4th gen and under including handhelds and gba, 64 GiB internal and up to 1TB external for games and media. Preferably in a GBA like case.
>>
>>4130337
Forgot to mention, TV HDMI, RCA, Component out with support for external controllers.
>>
>>4130220
Softmodded psp but with genesis dpad and 6 buttons. Also more memory for roms.
>>
>>4130220
Genesis style d pad thumb bowl
Clicky buttons
Nice OLED screen
SD support for memory
Fits in a pocket without looking like a boner
Headphone jack
Volume wheel
Plastic that isn't the kind that get loaded with fingerprints
720p is plenty for a tiny screen, I'd even be ok with 480p
>>
>>4130337
>handheld
>FPGA for everything 4th gen and under'
>in a gba like case
>>
DS lite bottom screen, can play GBA. GBC and GB carts, SD slot and wifi for downloadable games. SNES, NES store
>>
>>4130464
I don't understand what you're saying
>>
>>4130225
so literally just a new3ds with custom firmware?
>>
>>4130481
https://forum.digilentinc.com/gallery/image/15-fpga-nes/
this is a snes only fpga

and you want one for every console 4th gen and under in a handheld device
that would be the biggest handheld device in existance. just thought that was funny.
>>
>>4130220
>PS Vita style form factor with flip top to accomodate two screens
>lid screen is 16:9, displays up to 720p@85hz and can be rotated for verticle view games
>on-board screen is 4:3, display up to 480p@85hz
>SCPH-1080 sized buttons, NeoGeo Portable style D-pad
>PS Vita sized but Xbox style analog sticks
>Linux based frontend, fully open source, supports every free/open source runtime and SDK available on Linux

here are the button layouts to avoid lawsuits
https://pastebin.com/nwmgMX1N
>>
>>4130489
>my own specs
did it say it had to be feasible?

and by gba style case I was meaning having the screen in the middle with buttons on right and dpad on left.
>>
>>4130483
No. Literally just an official New 3DS that also has a slot for GB/A games.
>>
File: 0887.jpg (146KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
0887.jpg
146KB, 1024x768px
>>4130220
GPD Win with a Intel M3 and backlight keyboard, clicky thumbsticks. A bigger eMMC out of the box would be cool too.
>>
>>4130489
No that's a development board. The FPGA is the "big" chip in the middle. It's an older low end model that has about 1/20 the LCEs of a current high end part. But you wouldn't need such an expensive part because FPGAs can be reconfigured or partially reconfigured, hence the "P" in their name. So you can use the same FPGA for each system. You'll need flash and RAM and supporting components. The total size could easily approach that of two sticks of gum.
>>
>>4130220
>PSP Go / Xperia Play slide design
>"Vita Go"
>HDMI out from device
>HDMI out from optional dock cradle
>pair multiple Dualshock 3 + 4 (multitap for PS1)
>better PS1 components instead of relying on PSP Pops
>find a way to get PS2 components to do 50/50 hardware-emulation
>built in optional overclock
>better wifi parts for improved remote play
>L2/R2 L3/R3
>microSD storage
>MP3/AAC/WMA/Vorbis/Opus/internet radio player
>H254/Livestream/Video player
>>
File: Bandai_swancrystal_rose.jpg (50KB, 500x354px) Image search: [Google]
Bandai_swancrystal_rose.jpg
50KB, 500x354px
32 bit wonderswan backlit with rechargeable battery. Library of plenty of rpgs and space ship shooters.
>>
>>4130464
What do you mean? FPGAs are tiny
>>
>>4130489
>this is a snes only fpga and you want one for every console 4th gen and under in a handheld device

The FPGA is just the Xilinx Spartan in the middle of the PCB. Also I don't think you quite grasp what a field-programmable gate array does.
>>
>>4130220
CRT screen or barring that an FED/SED screen. That's it, that's all.
>>
>>4131347
Is that even technologically possible?
>>
Pretty much just the n3DSXL with better support for 16-bit systems. That native 240p makes games look crisp as fuck but 16-bit emulation is pretty much limited to what's already officially there.
>>
>>4130261
>>4130225
/thread

But seriously, I think a handheld designed like that Motorola phone where you can swap out modules would be awesome. Release the base product including one module of your choice for, say, $200, and sell each new module for an appropriate price based on it's functionality. Make a module for each console, and have retro gaming everywhere
>>
File: pyrared.png (351KB, 814x822px) Image search: [Google]
pyrared.png
351KB, 814x822px
>>4130220
Basically pic-related but with beefier specs and adaptive sync-capable screen for low-latency and those arcade games with funky nonstandard refresh rates. That's all I want honestly.
>>
>>4130849
I'd want to change the material of the shell personally. They look like cheap childrens toys.
>>
>>4130220
Surround sound speakers , HDMI video out, and 100 built-in CRT filters to trigger the autists.
>>
>>4131634
>beefier specs and adaptive sync-capable screen
By the time they design another one, china would have made something better at half the cost. You've been kekstarted.
>>
>>4130849
>Library of plenty of rpgs and space ship shooters.
The NGPC looks better to me.
>>
>>4131668
>You've been kekstarted
I don't think they even plan on crowdfunding with Pyra
>By the time they design another one, china would have made something better at half the cost.
I want to believe you, but I've always been massively disappointed with these chinky handhelds we've been getting. New ones shat out every year or so with very little effort and resources put into them and it's very frustrating when they can make something amazing if they weren't so fucking jewish with production & design.
>>
>>4131695
>New ones shat out every year or so with very little effort and resources put into them and it's very frustrating when they can make something amazing if they weren't so fucking jewish with production & design.

That's just racist and the usual fallacy of cost=muh quality.

Having more competition and fast production to meet demand is good. That means they're more in touch with what the market want. NOT what autistic anti-semites want.
>>
File: 1475766282111.jpg (109KB, 570x487px) Image search: [Google]
1475766282111.jpg
109KB, 570x487px
>>4130220
Capable of playing everything from the sixth generation and down
>>
File: Untitled.png (15KB, 397x468px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
15KB, 397x468px
Posting in the hopes someone sees this and makes it. I have been looking for something just like this for ages but to no avail.
>>
>>4131797
https://static.webshopapp.com/shops/028705/files/080933036/8bitdo-xtander-smartphone-en-tablet-houder-voor-ne.jpg

but if you're interested I'd suggest you wait for this baby
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/lYMfKFhiHfX9sOCi3BHbFOZ6w4I=/0x0:1500x1131/1200x800/filters:focal(630x446:870x686)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/55276669/1_SNES30_Pro.0.jpg

https://tctechcrunch2011.files.wordpress.com/2017/06/sfc30-pro-back.jpg?w=1&h=1
>>
>>4131816
Close brother but no dice. Mes needs that tactical keyboard
>>
like a vita but then theres a slide-up screen and it emulates 3ds, ds and everything else the vita can do +ps2
>>
File: FEDSED1B.jpg (16KB, 278x245px) Image search: [Google]
FEDSED1B.jpg
16KB, 278x245px
>>4131383
the technology for FED and SED are there, they made prototypes. it just never entered mass production due to patent trolling. for a crt it would be bulky but idc
>>
>>4132489
Could light guns work on such a display? Real light guns, not the NES one.
>>
>>4132536
absolutely, it's basically a ton of small crts. the response time would be nil
>>
FUCKING RUN WELL

IM SICK OF 10 FPS
>>
>>4130220
Perfect ps2 emulation
>>
>>4132536
Anything that can turn on and of individual pixels fast enough in the right order can work with a light gun. An LCD with a refresh rate of 4mhz could handle it at 240p.
>>
>>4130257
if it's a nintendo system basically a new 3DS with a GB/GBA slot & dual analog sticks

if it's a sony system basically a vita with a UMD drive
>>
>>4130220
Quad Core ARM CPU
4GB RAM
64GB Storage Built In
Dual Micro SD Card Slots that can support 256GB+ per slot
Touch Screen
Slide out keyboard with built in game pad using the same controller as a PS VITA
2 USB 3.0 Ports
>>
>>4132536
>Real light guns, not the NES one.
what did he mean by this?
>>
>>4130849
how the fuck are you supposed to hold that thing?
>>
>>4130220
x86 processor, Windows

>>4130573
This, but not overpriced compared to a standard laptop
>>
Considering how high-end phone are powerful and have a decent autonomy despite how slim they are, it could be possible to have a really good handheld.
But the only real feature I'd want would be a blue colored Sega on it
>>
>>4133747
Either horizontally or vertically you don't use all the buttons at the same time
>>
>>4131797
http://www.gpdwin.com/

Here you go.
>>
a decent dual core cpu
4 gb ram
1 gb video ram
32-bit
4:3 ratio
640x480
Backlight
Micro SD card slot of storing games+saves
(Game file sizes of a handheld with these specs would not be very large so you'd be able to install full games on the SD cards.)
Rechargeable and interchangable battery packs
1 D-Pad (left) 1 analog stick (right), 2 shoulder buttons, 2 or 4 face buttons.
WiFi compatible for firmware updates and game patching.
Indie game support. Primarily, Steam indie games.

Am I missing anything?
>>
>>4135463
>4x3, 640x480
>steam indies
Choose one.
>>
>>4135556
I know that 4:3 ratio is supported in many games though 640x480 may be a longshot. 800x600 may be a better chance.
>>
>>4130558
The only reason they removed that from the DSi on was for space reasons, even the 3DS is binary compatible back to the GBA.
>>
I noticed a lot of people seem to like the neogeo analog stick was it actually good? I never used one.
>>
>>4130225
I have that! It's my CFW new3DS XL. Absolutely no complaints. Playing Majora's Mask on it was amazing, too.

>He hasn't CFW'd his new3DS XL to be the ultimate emulation station
>>
So the main reason I made this topic is the company I work for is extremely ahead on our major product as well as finishing up development on something new. Which will be leaving everything we use for prototyping open for quite a while.

I have all the equipment to produce pcbs and mass machine housing or make injection molds. So I'm considering making something as a side project and I've been tossing around the idea of a handheld for a while even if it's on a small scale.
>>
>>4136745
It's pretty useless for anything beyond 4th gen. Battery life is pretty shit too.
>>
I just want an OLED PS Vita with hdmi out, controller support, emulators and remote play for most modern consoles, not too much to ask.
>>
>>4136797
Replicate the fuck out of the OPs picture. I would buy that in a heartbeat.
>>
>>4135448
>http://www.gpdwin.com/
ITS SO CLOSE. I want it to be an attachment for my phone that opens all the way around.
>>
>>4138142
I think that's a 3DS modified to have only 1 screen, which is shit.
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.