[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>hydro-city >hi-der-ossity >hi-drossity How is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6

File: hydrocity.png (10KB, 320x224px) Image search: [Google]
hydrocity.png
10KB, 320x224px
>hydro-city
>hi-der-ossity
>hi-drossity

How is it pronounced, /vr/?
>>
Hee-ae-draw-saw-tay
>>
>>4130125

correctly
>>
>>4130125
it's a pun on velocity, so...
>>
>>4130125
Any one who says anything other than Hydro-city was never trying to pronounce it right.

Saging for shit thread
>>
>>4130130

It's not a city though.
>>
>>4130125
WRONG its actually pronounced snagg~aly~tyoth~schnetson~zwei-bratwuerschen~bitte~ity
>>
>>4130129
NO it's not
Its a City...in the water
Hydro-City

There is no reason to think it's a play on "velocity". None of the other zones are puns, so why suddenly this one?

Water---HYDRO
Ruins ---CITY

>>4130137
It's clearly some kind of sprawling ancient city, what are you on?
>>
It's one word, if it was supposed to be "Hydro City", it would be "Hydro City". To me that makes it fairly obviously it was supposed to be pronounced more like "velocity". Also, you know. Must go fast etc.
>>
sanics a faget lel
>>
>>4130149
None of the other Zones have two word names that aren't separated. The game would show "HYDRO CITY ZONE" if it was meant to be two words.
>Greenhill Zone
>>
File: springyard.jpg (51KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
springyard.jpg
51KB, 640x480px
>you will never visit the comfy city behind spring yard or starlight zone

Why even live?
>>
>>4130183
I know that feeling, man, I know that feel.
>>
>>4130183
I always wondered who lived in all the buildings in Sonic 1.
>>
File: maxresdefault (2).jpg (75KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (2).jpg
75KB, 1280x720px
it IS a pun but one that only works in Japanese.

The game DOES use シティ for Hydro City... and so does the word Velocity in Japanese, so it doesn't say anything.

"ヴェロシチー" isn't a thing, only ヴェロシティ or even ベロシティ... either way, シティ. Google will show 53 vs 300k vs 2.5m results for them respectively.

"Hydro City" and "HydroCity" would both be pronounced the same in Japanese... hence it being a pun.

ヴェロシティ = Velocity
ハイドロシティ = (ハイドロ + シティ) = Hydro + City

In English, it doesn't work as a pun on both levels. You have to choose which meaning makes the most sense for you.
Personally, the "velocity" thing doesn't work because Sonic being "all about speed" wasn't a meme yet and it being literally a Hydro City feels better in my brain.
The zones being names of places and types of locations, not...speed puns.. Hills, Caves, Islands, Gardens, Cities, Plants,

Also: Image
>>
>>4130203
The idea that Sonic existed on some furry planet that Robotnik was the only human on is an invention of Archie. Sonic even had a human girlfriend during the development of the first game.
>>
>>4130239

I still have a soft spot for satam/early archieverse, even if the sonic fandom is pure autism.
>>
>>4130125
SUMMERFAG GO HOME
>>
>>4130236
>Personally, the "velocity" thing doesn't work because Sonic being "all about speed" wasn't a meme yet
It started being a meme with MD Sonic 2, with the casualization of platforming and the overuse of automated speed segments.
>>
>>4130272
>automated speed segments.
which would dump you out at some more platforming that could easily kill you if you got in too much of a damn hurry.
>>
File: sonic spaghetti.jpg (12KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
sonic spaghetti.jpg
12KB, 480x360px
>>4130125
best music in the game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz8p2PT4wNo
>>
>>4130180
Pronounced
> Grey - Enhill Zone
>>
Hydrocity is all one word, so it's pronounced "Hi-drah-sit-ee." Studiopolis is one word, so the Sonic Mania zone with a similar name as Hydrocity is pronounced "Stu-dee-awp-oh-lis."
>>
https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%82%BD%E3%83%8B%E3%83%83%E3%82%AF%E3%83%BB%E3%82%B6%E3%83%BB%E3%83%98%E3%83%83%E3%82%B8%E3%83%9B%E3%83%83%E3%82%B03

That looks like a bunch of gibberish in the comment box so I hope it links alright but anyway

It's Hydro City.
>>
This is the song that made people think Micheal Jackson wrote the soundtrack right? I can kind of hear it.
>>
>>4130404
more like hydro shitty
>>
>>4130410
For me it was the mini-boss theme in Sonic 3, you could hear Michael's "wooo!" in it.
But actually the songs that most closely resemble MJ songs are Carnival Night (Jam) and the ending theme (stranger in moscow)
>>
>>4130410
yep https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzmG0Q9Dg_s
>>
>>4130412
Well, yes. Moon is a strange and terrible language. But still, it's not a pun on velocity.
>>
File: DSC_0563.jpg (274KB, 742x797px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0563.jpg
274KB, 742x797px
>>4130410
MJ did not compose hydrocity see >>4130290
He actually didnt work on that many songs. He did carnival night, knuckle's theme, launch base and sonic 3 credits. His co-composer Brad Buxer even recycled a previous song for Ice Cap zone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2OWC5Hosv8
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yU04mQu6_64

sonic and mj go together like pb and j
>>
>>4130376
*opolis is an actual suffix though
>>
>>4130432
so does Janet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY5R1ExxMAk
>>
Don't give shit how its pronounced, I just enjoy the music.
Even ended up dredging that up old remix compilation since hydrocity was one of the decent ones.

https://youtu.be/qKDYXjwNpqI?list=PLC12C740709FD9F0B

pic unrelated, had nothing sonic related
>>
>>4130427
Huh. I never would have pegged any of those for the ones he worked on.
>>
>>4130508
Those tracks have his voice samples.
>>
>>4130125
>>hi-drossity
It's this. Anyone that calls it Hydro City is wrong.
>>
highdrawcity
>>
>>4131118
>>4131136
you have been demonstrably proven wrong several times in this very thread.
>>4130404
>>4130236
especially show you the error of your ways. repent
>>
>>4130125
I asked my non gaming fiancee, she said Hydro-City zone
>>
>>4130125
atrocity
>>
>>4130125
>>hi-drossity
That one but without the pause that your hyphen implies. Because I like how it sounds.

And Sando Polis because I like how it sounds, cunt.
>>
>>4130125

>Metro-Polis
>>
Hydro City makes sense but Hy-drocity rolls off better on the tongue
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.