[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone have experience resurfacing or repairing old disc based

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: FQ42F2UFUVSG6LC.MEDIUM.jpg (18KB, 620x465px) Image search: [Google]
FQ42F2UFUVSG6LC.MEDIUM.jpg
18KB, 620x465px
Anyone have experience resurfacing or repairing old disc based games ? I've got a copy of crash 3 warped that won't work. I have one of those hand cranked repair thingies but I heard they are crap.
>>
>>4126040
They dont work. Take it to youre local game store(not gamestop) and they will resurface it for a couple bucks, most likely.
>>
>>4126040
Find some place that has a professional resurfacer. Like a gamestop. Its really the only way that works. No toothpaste does not work.
>>
File: 0.jpg (17KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
17KB, 480x360px
ITT memes dead since 2014
>(2014 was 15 years ago, damn im old, etc...)
>>
>>4126063
what a scam those things are. They just scratch your disc even more.
>>
>>4126040
http://azuradisc.com/Mail-in-Disc-Repair-Service/Send-us-your-Scratched-CDs.html
PS1 discs have worse error correction than most other CDs since they use the mode 2 format for some reason.
>>
>>4126048
Only, they have a company policy to refuse resurfacing to customers, because they'd rather you sell them a broken game, resurface it, and sell it back to you at 20 bucks profit.
And local movie stores are dead.
And rental stores are dead.
>>
>>4126085
That's what resurfacing is.
>>
>>4126156
didnt know that. fucking gamestop is the worst
>>
What i do is the best method, all you need is some toothpaste, hawaiian punch (any fruit punch will work), some iso. alcohol, salt, and a piece of sliced bread.

First you have make two rings on the cd with toothpaste, one the edge of the spindle hole, and one on the edge of the CD. Make sure it's a good amount since it's a moat we're going for. Once you have your toothpaste moat you have to place a solution of hawain punch/iso. alcohol/salt into the moat. the solution is as followed;
>2 parts hawaiian punch
>3 parts iso. alcohol
>1 parts salt

Once you have made the solution, pour it in the moat and allow it to sit for at least 15 minutes. After that take a slice of bread and push the toothpaste into the solution, do this in circular waxing motions. the bread should absorb most of the mess but if there's still a lot left use another slice. DO NOT use a towel for this, the bread acts as a cushion for the abrasive (the salt) and towels will drag the abrasive instead of absorbing it.

Then once all of the toothpaste/solution is off of it, you can use a cloth to dry it.
>>
File: 10.png (7KB, 248x165px) Image search: [Google]
10.png
7KB, 248x165px
>>4126419
sounds legit
>>
>>4126040
Hold it up to the light (label towards the light) if you can see any little dots of light coming through you are fucked. Data was very shallow on the label side with early discs, and if you got label side damage you were shit out of luck. I did manage to salvage a diablo 2 disc by coloring in a label scratch with black sharpie, but thats the only disc it ever worked on.
>>
>>4126040
Yes. There are various ways to do it depending on the damage. It's not worth the time and effort for that disc.
>>
>>4126040
OP, ps1 games are notoriously difficult to resurface. Just get a modchip and verbatim CDs, not the shitty ones
>>
>>4126040
I took my Smackdown 2 ps1 disc at Family Video, cost me $5 to resurface & repair. There's also another game store I can take it in at, which is The Gaming Warehouse & Play N Trade.
>>
>>4126156
That doesn't surprise me.
>>
>>4126047
Sorry, don't live in Europe.In the U.S your choices are gamestop or the other gamestop down the block.
>>
Get a soft sock and some Brasso polish or even some gritty toothpaste.

Buff the disc in small circles concentrating on the most scratched parts with some steady pressure.
Rinse off with dish soap and water. Windex the cleaned-off disc.

I've fixed many many games like this
>>
>>4129828
This is just blatantly false.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.