[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What would /vr/ think of a 2D overhead Zelda game with a map

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: Triforce.png (36KB, 200x173px) Image search: [Google]
Triforce.png
36KB, 200x173px
What would /vr/ think of a 2D overhead Zelda game with a map akin to Breath of the Wild's that would still take a good hour of real time to cross?
>>
I dunno.
All I know is I like top-down zelda, and I hope it doesn't die.
>>
File: tumblr_ojadg1cmo61voe4e4o1_540.jpg (55KB, 540x608px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ojadg1cmo61voe4e4o1_540.jpg
55KB, 540x608px
I feel like 2D Zelda needs to have a reasonable cap on how big the map is.

It works great for 3D because you can see the horizon. But I feel like it'd just be a chore to get around in a fuckin'huge map in a 2D Zelda setting, even with warp points.

Anyway not retro
>>
Surely there's someone insane enough out there to have already started on a LttP style demake of BotW.
>>
>>4125831
I'm sure there's tons, but they're either going to be shit and miss the point of both games like that Zelda 1 demake of BOTW, or they'll abandon the project.
>>
>>4125838
>that Zelda 1 demake of BOTW
Tell me more.
>>
File: LjrsjT.0.png (122KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
LjrsjT.0.png
122KB, 1600x900px
It's nothing special.

When designing Breath of the Wild, Nintendo tested ideas on a 2D engine using the original Legend of Zelda as a base, same graphics and everything.

Someone cashed in on how badly people wanted that to be released as an official game and made a really shitty "Breath of the Wild 2D" game. It looked like Zelda but just watching gameplay videos you could tell it played like shit, and it also seemed to be very linear... again, missing the point of both games.
>>
File: 2d-breath-of-the-wild.png (680KB, 970x545px) Image search: [Google]
2d-breath-of-the-wild.png
680KB, 970x545px
>>4125849
Here's the actual BOTW Prototype.
The enemies actually moved around closer to how they did in the NES game, as opposed to the fan game where stalfos can be mad sprinters.
>>
>>4125860
>everything has shadows
Fuck these idiots.
>>
>>4125827
>It works great for 3D because you can see the horizon
This is a good point.

Still though, I hope 2D Zelda doesn't die.ALBW was great
>>
>>4125907
I don't think it's going to die, 2D Zelda and 3D Zelda are really different beasts, and I think we'll always get new ones to tide us over in between 3D releases.

The only real concern I have is how long it's going to be before we get a traditional 2D game, because they're still not done milking remakes or doing dumb experimental multiplayer shit.

Still, I'm thankful we'll likely never go back to the god awful controls from the DS titles. I'm also banking on an eventual Zelda maker.
>>
>>4125939
The reason I'm concerned about 2D dying is because handhelds are arguably dead

They kept it on handhelds, because the major 3D franchise would be on consoles.
Why do a game like ALBW when you can do something like BOTW?

Only time well tell though. This is nintendo anyways, they still do 2D Yoshi and Donkey Kongs
>>
>>4125961

Because a game like BOTW will take forever to make, so they'd probably have the B team working on the smaller scale game to tide Zelda fans over until the next 3D game. It's no different than the approach they've taken up until now.

And handhelds aren't dead, the Switch is a handheld, and Nintendo seems pretty set about keeping the 3DS line alive and going as well.

Besides, it's not like 2D can't exist on home consoles, Mario does it, Donkey Kong does it, Yoshi does it, Kirby's even getting a new 2D game this year.

If anything I'm really hype that the next traditional 2D Zelda will probably be able to be on my TV screen for the first time since A Link to the Past.
>>
>>4125961
>handhelds are dead
The 3DS is still getting games isn't it? It's possible that Nintendo will let the 3DS die and not replace it with anything, though.
>>
>>4126124
No, it's not. The handheld gaming market is the one pocket of the industry where Nintendo still dominates. Before the Switch, when the Wii U was doing so badly, some were saying Nintendo would become a handheld-exclusive company.
>>
>>4125821
It took me 18 minutes to run and glide from the eastern most edge to the west at the widest point on the map that I could find. I did this after I heard a kid in the game shop crapping on about the map. 'Have you played zelda!? I heard it takes 15 hours to cross the map!' Please kid. 18 minutes. Could probably do it faster if I could be bothered doing it again.
>>
>>4126714
To be fair, gliding is kinda cheating. How long would it take to cross exclusively on foot?
>>
>>4126714
Took me 35 hours to beat the game, obviously not 18 hours to cross the map.

But using should you get later in the game to measure how long it takes to cross isn't fair, should be based on a horse
>>
>>4127218
Sir, he said 18 minutes, not hours.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.