[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I beat Actraiser a few days ago. It wasn't the best Sim

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: ActRaiser-Cover[1].jpg (320KB, 1048x811px) Image search: [Google]
ActRaiser-Cover[1].jpg
320KB, 1048x811px
I beat Actraiser a few days ago. It wasn't the best Sim game, and it wasn't the best sidescroller action game either, but the combo of them was unique, as was the setting/story. Neat also seeing the combination of Greek and Christian mythology with a bit of Eastern Reincarnation as well.

Should I tackle the rest of the Quintet games?

>Soul Blazer
>ActRaiser 2
>Illusion of Gaia
>Robotrek
>Terranigma
>>
>>4125517
Terranigma is ok, the rest are trash.
>>
File: Dark_Cloud_PS2_Game_cover.jpg (26KB, 250x354px) Image search: [Google]
Dark_Cloud_PS2_Game_cover.jpg
26KB, 250x354px
Play this.
>>
>>4125538
what a completely garbage opinion from an absolute pleb

Soul Blazer is great, consider it an action puzzle game like Zelda
ActRaiser 2 is pure action sidescrolling all the way through, it's better than the first game in that regard, but lacking something without the sim elements
IoG is the weakest blazer game and is kind of bizarre with strange choices for locales and story events, but it's pretty intriguing if only because of what kind of stuff they actually put in the game, kids die, man
Robotrek is a fun game about building a team of robots and wrecking shit with them
Terranigma is the swan song of Quintet, and it's in no way underwhelming. It's not as good as say, Chrono Trigger, but the content of it somehow seems more important, like it was trying to say something instead of just being entertaining and fantastic.
>>
>>4125517
If you liked it, sure. Although fans claim that Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma are a trilogy, the devs themselves have claimed that they see these games as a "series" of spiritual sequels beginning with ActRaiser. Play the rest of the Quintet games if you liked the story and mechanics of this one, you'll probably enjoy the rest too. The only one which doesn't have the same "essence" is Robotrek, which is nonetheless a really good game and the inventor of pokeballs.

And ActRaiser 2 is a great action game, screw the haters.
>>
>>4125617

shit gaem
>>
File: 1389717707480.png (88KB, 5000x5000px) Image search: [Google]
1389717707480.png
88KB, 5000x5000px
>>4127352
>>
>>4125627
>Terranigma is the swan song
Terranigma is just OK. It starts off really fucking good, but forced grinding, and a lackluster second half just fucking kills it.
>>
>>4128051
The second half is great, you get to explore the whole world and discover some really good and crazy twists, what are you on about. Way better than the five towers.

Grinding is an issue however, all Hashimoto RPGs have shitty level/stats scaling.

Only other issue I can think of is gameplay becoming repetitive since you never learn new skills, but the spear combat is so fluid and varied from the start that it's not really an issue that bogs down the game imo
>>
>>4128051
I remember it being pretty enjoyable when I emulated it way back when, although not a lot of details stuck with me.
>>
>>4128080
>towers
>first half

Quality significantly drops after Chapter 2, which is after the Snowy Mountain (can't remember name) and resurrecting humanity.

>Gameplay becomes repetitive
Yeah, it does. It gets really repetitive since you spam the running stab attack to kill every single enemy.

Terranigma isn't bad. It's just not great because it has some serious flaws that drag it down.
>>
>>4125517
I have the Actraiser 2 cartridge since childhood. Play it if you want to hate your life, it's one of the hardest games ever.
>>
>>4129529
How does quality drop? You get to trigger and witness the French Revolution, free Columbus and then travel the whole world looking for secrets and stuff. The plot takes a backseat when you get the ship and the game becomes more about figuring out how to make humanity progress, but after getting the plane the plot twists begin to drop, the entire game makes sense and everything is really cool.

I seldom used the running stab attack, I relied way more on the jump downwards dash thing, and that alone proves two things: combat is varied and you're just generalizing your style. It's viable to use all techniques, a few, only one (with some exceptions) or even none for the entire game. That's good.
>>
>>4125517

Soul Blazer / Illusion of Gaia/ Terranigma form a sort of trilogy. The final game, Terranigma, is a must play, one of the best action RPGs ever made and one of the best games on the SNES. Soul Blazer and Illusion of Gaia are both only ok. Try them out and see what you think but I've personally never beaten them. I know Illusion of Gaia has a lot of fans but I'm not one of them, despite it being a good game.

Act Raiser 2 is very different from Act Raiser 1 which is why people generally don't like it. It's a pure action game, and a highly technical one at that. Unlike Act Raiser 1 which was fairly straight forward in that you just ran around and slashed guys, Act Raiser 2 is slow and deliberate that feels clunky until you start to learn the nuances to its controls. It's rewarding if you master the controls but I personally could never get into it. I think the design of Master's body always put me off. Not a fan of the roided out nude angel look. Looks like he belongs in Chou Aniki.

Robotrek is interesting as far as JRPGs go but isn't a must play unless you really like JRPGs.
>>
>>4127352
no u
>>
>>4125517
>Should I tackle the rest of the Quintet games?
Absolutely. Except for Actraiser 2.
Also ignore people who say SB/IoT/Terra are a trilogy. They aren't.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.