[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>play this game for months like a motherfucker in my childhood

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

>play this game for months like a motherfucker in my childhood with my sister and mother taking turns and still being unable to finish it
>one day nes breaks and i stop playing console games never to return to playing them
>grow up thinking it is the best game i have ever played since it was absolutely challenging and fun
>post it on the internet for nerds to see it
>they casually inform me that it is a ripoff of mario adventure island
>my whole life was a lie
>>
Is that an Adventure Island hack with Mario sprites?
>>
>>4124776
OP, are you Russian or from a former Bloc country? There's a good video on this experience which I will link for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kne6AKyYUuM
>>
>>4124791
I am Turkish. Elaborate please?
>>
>>4124798
You guys were sold bootleg games under the lie that they were Authentic Mario games. You played Adventure Island II with a Mario Sprite.
>>
>>4124776
Yeah I had it too, it is no big fucking deal.

It is a great game, it isn't a "rip off", its just an unofficial modified version with a Mario sprite, but the rest of the game is identical.

Very common in Asia and Latin america.

Other cases I had:

Super Mario 6: Tiny Toons Adventures
Super Mario 7: The Flintstones: The Rescue of Dino and Hoppy
Super Mario 16: Jurassic Park (awful)
Super Mario 14: Kaiketsu Yanchamaru 3
Super Mario 10: Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu
>>
>>4124798
What >>4124849 said.

Chinese pirates and other such groups used to make hacks of real, not-Mario Japanese Famicom games, where they would replace the character sprites in some way with Mario, and then sell it as a Mario game, because they knew that Mario would sell better on the name alone.

I'm not familiar with Turkish game history, but it sounds like you were in a similar situation as the Russians. That video I linked is a good insight into what it was like in Russia, though you might have difficulty understanding it depending on your grasp of language (it is Russian audio, but with English subtitles).

I don't actually know much about the Turkish gaming scene. OP, can you talk about your experience? What kinds of systems you had, what kinds of game stores there were (and what they sold), if there were games on TV, etc.? I for one would be curious to know more.
>>
OP got rused Kojima style

Maybe even higher than that because it went on for seemingly decades.
>>
>>4124776
Adventure island 2 is the best game ever and dont let anyone tell you otherwise

Also look for the level select cheat for when you feel like playing a specific island
>>
File: micro-genius.jpg (63KB, 793x532px) Image search: [Google]
micro-genius.jpg
63KB, 793x532px
>>4124902
Not OP, but also Turkish. I had a really similar experience, playing with my mother and sister, and not-AI2 was one of our favorites (my favorite game was AI4; I have no idea how I had its cartridge).
Our situation at Turkey was pretty similar to Russia, except with Micro Genius instead of Dendy. Everyone called the systems "Atari", which became hilarious once I learned what Atari actually was.
You can still find them in stores, but good luck finding cartridges.
My memories are fuzzy unfortunately, but if you want to ask more, I'll do my best to answer.
>>
File: SegaGenesis.jpg (20KB, 640x409px) Image search: [Google]
SegaGenesis.jpg
20KB, 640x409px
>>4124902
I would never have thought 'Super Mario 9' was not an original game. I juat felt like an orphan when I learnt that fact.
About the Turkish gaming scene, I wish I could help but I honestly don't know or remember much. My first NES console, as we call it 'Atari' here, was something like the SEGA Genesis in the picture. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a replica. At least, I am pretty sure the controllers were identical. My mom could only afford to buy for me a couple of games like Dr. Mario, Tetris, Contra, Lode Runner and Mario 9, and I only played them.
Dad never took me seriously when it came to games, so I skipped SNES completely. It was probably too expensive as well.
I don't know if you guys count PS 1 as retro, but I got a PS 1 around 99 though. It was the same case with the games but I was aware of the piracy. I had games in Japanese language on illegally written CDs.
I don't remember having a big Gamestop-like game shop franchise here. I have never even bought a playstation game from a store that may have sold them myself. My sister must have if she did. We had internet cafes that started selling their copies of pirated games like Winning Eleven and VIVA soccer afterwards, (we were big fans of these two with a couple of my friends) and I played a lot of those games.
It was the same with PS 2 but I never had one.
You can say that big stores in Turkey started genuine games with PS 3. I guess we never had dedicated game stores though, they are still sold at big bookstores like D&R and gamestores like Mediamarkt.
That's pretty much all I can say.
>>
>>4124883
I like how you specified that 16 in particular is awful as if they weren't all shit.
>>
>>4124776
what's up with all these disgusting tripfags
>>
>>4124849
>>4124883
>>4124902
Kek this is great. I would like to see the Jurassic Park one.
>>
>>4125234
Watch the video I linked above about the Russian experience. That guy does a great overview of what Russia got, which appears to match up well with experiences in other parts of the world where unofficial Nintendo stuff was the norm.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.