[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>go to gog.com >look up multiplayer games up pre-2000

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

File: blogcivilizationscreen.jpg (63KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
blogcivilizationscreen.jpg
63KB, 640x400px
>go to gog.com

>look up multiplayer games up pre-2000

>80% strategy and management sim games, 10% Doom / Build / Quake engine-based shooters, 5% flying combat sims

Was PC gaming really that bad back then?
>>
PCs weren't better than consoles for gaming pre-2000, they were only ideal for management games because of keyboards and mice allowing for complex UIs. There were still good games in other genres but they all really paled in comparison to console equivalents.

All you need is Diablo anyway. Earlier multiplayer RPGs like Neverwinter Nights and stuff were good too, though dated by modern standards.
>>
>>4124458
sounds great desu
>>
>>4124474
/thread
>>
>>4124458
>gog.com
>>
>>4124458
>back then
It's shit even now.
>>
>>4124458
>Was PC gaming really that bad back then?
>PC focused on games I don't care about so it was bad.

Yes anon. Everything you don't like is objectively bad. Jesus christ this place is painful sometimes.
>>
>>4124458
There are some great games not featured by GOG, like Jazz Jackrabbit 2 which is still a good multiplayer game even today.

To be fair, pre-2000 gaming was shit on every console. Every year brings only 5-20 games worth playing, 20th century is not an exception.
>>
There was also Diablo, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, and countless Quake / Half-Life mods (including major ones like Team Fortress, Threewave CTF, and Counter-Strike).
>>
>>4124628
Whoops, IWD was actually out in 2000.

In its place, I offer Unreal Tournament (even though it came out in the last month of 1999).
>>
Also consider that, at least for shooters and RTSs, you needed either a LAN setup or a decent internet connection (during a time when most people were on dialup), and every player needed his own decently-specced machine to play on. Hot seat multiplayer was only for turn-based games.

With a console, all someone needed was a controller and, for more than two people on a console other than N64, a multitap adapter (for games that supported it).
>>
>>4124458

Except that's great. Also, please tell me about that all that pre-2000 online gaming you did on console.
>>
>>4124830
Online multiplayer mostly sucked in the 90s before most people had broadband connections with low pings.
>>
>>4124458
No, those game authors are more accepting of the license agreements that GOG wants to make. Big name publishers have treated GOG like shit. Often some authors don't even own their own IP's anymore and it gets absorbed into giant game publisher mergers.
>>
>>4125019
What major non-Blizzard / non-Valve pre-2000 PC games are missing from GOG (other than the aforementioned Jazz Jackrabbit)?
>>
>>4125048
lucasarts adventures
>>
>>4125048

Mechwarrior.
>>
>>4124458
I'll take game types that are actually manageable over dialup for 200, Alex.
>>
>>4124458
It's still like that except ASSFAGGOTS have killed the strategy gender.
>>
>>4126424
what?
https://www.gog.com/games?devpub=lucasfilm&sort=bestselling&page=1
>>
>>4126710
if only this was posted in /v/
>>
>>4124578
All video games are shit now though
>>
>>4126753
i mean the good ones
>>
>>4124839
Quite the opposite.
By the time most people had broadband multiplayer games were overwhelmingly shit and most modern games post-2000 had shitty netcode to boot.
There was no era where multiplayer was perfect though because fairly high pings were a problem but as soon as it largely wasn't (well not that it still isn't to this day depending on regional demographics for server/players anyway) games went to shit anyhow. You could still play older games but most of them died out relatively quickly over time.

So that's the sum of multiplayer there, decent games with networks or shitty games with decent networks.

>>4124578
PC gaming is even shittier today since it's shifted to being a second rate console heap due to steam making the barrier to entry for console gamers effectively negligible. Not that it was that high to begin with, which is to say it helped keep out a good portion of people who couldn't even deal with basic shit.
>>
>yet another thinly-veiled "everything I don't like is shit" thread

Take it to /v/. They love these sort of threads.
>>
>>4124458
>80% strategy and management sim games,
>I hates it.
Sounds like you need to go back to >>>/v/
>>
>>4126710

ASSFAGGOTS is a great genre though, as long as you actually pick a good game from it (Awesomenauts). I mean yeah League of Legends is kind of bland and clunky, but that's not the genre's fault. The core concept of the genre is just excellent.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.