[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's pay homage to one of the grandaddies of the STG genre:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: xevious.png (2MB, 850x1206px) Image search: [Google]
xevious.png
2MB, 850x1206px
Let's pay homage to one of the grandaddies of the STG genre: Xevious.
This game seems to have a lukewarm reception with western players, but it's a classic in Japan.
What about you? Do you like Xevious?
>>
I prefer Argus but yeah I like it. I like those simple old no-frills shmups
>>
>>4121873
Gets redundant really fast but it not offensive or anything. Just a real quaint game that doesn't have a lot to talk about
>>
I like the rank system it has so the game can start throwing everything at you fairly quickly.
>>
>>4121873
Really need to get to it and finish this sucker,I was too casual for it as a kid.
>>
>>4121917
It doesn't really have an end, it's one of those games that loop, you play for score.
Unless you mean you can't get through all 9 stages of the 1st loop without getting a game over, which in that case I sympathize, I got there but lost, should get back to it too.
>>
>>4121924
Could not even get close to a 3 stages completed bud.
>>
i was weirdly obsessed with xevious as a kid on some namco arcade collection

where do i go from it? r-type? gradius?
>>
File: 797144.jpg (499KB, 800x1064px) Image search: [Google]
797144.jpg
499KB, 800x1064px
>>4123172

RayForce. To see how fucking crazy one can get with the lock-on mechanic when you push the idea as far as the technology of the time can go..
>>
>>4121873

The play action is fine.
The music induces suicide.
>>
>>4121873
Dragon Spirit/Saber > Ray* > Twinbee > Xevious
>>
File: tmp_5597-xeviouspce-4477933075.png (8KB, 256x228px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_5597-xeviouspce-4477933075.png
8KB, 256x228px
Fardraut Mode on the PC Engine port is best Xevious.
>>
Not much, influential but not very exciting to play nowadays imo

>>4121875
Argus is masochism.
>>
>>4123430

Fardraut on MSX 2 is not to be missed either (different game, same name. The PC Engine one is the sequel to the MSX 2 game)
PC Engine definitely has the most accurate port of the arcade game in arcade mode.

Was the Arcade version of Super Xevious ever ported (Famicom game with same name is a completely different game)?
>>
The 3D classic version on 3DS is also pretty nice. The 3DS' circle pad is actually pretty good for shooters, a shame developers didn't take advantage of it by releasing more shooters on the system.
>>
Gotta say, it's one of my least favorites of classic games. Screechy music and sound effects, slow as hell, looks like a MS Paint drawing made by a colorblind kid. Would much rather play Galaga or Galaxian, or TwinBee for that matter.
>>
File: argus.png (1MB, 850x1201px) Image search: [Google]
argus.png
1MB, 850x1201px
>>4123448
>Argus is masochism.

That's why I love it
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.