[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I get an NES or a Famicom? Does one have any major advantages

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 2

File: NES-VS-Famicom[1].jpg (69KB, 2048x663px) Image search: [Google]
NES-VS-Famicom[1].jpg
69KB, 2048x663px
Should I get an NES or a Famicom? Does one have any major advantages over the other? Game selections don't matter to me because I'll probably get an Everdrive. The only differences I know is that the Famicom is RF-only, the sound is different for some games, it has a built-in mic, and it uses a top loader (I don't know if this has any advantages either).
>>
>>4121762
AV famicom, rgb mod (non destructive on av fami), everdrive, and a decent power adapter.

If you're going the HDMI route you may as well stick with a NES. Cheaper and it just works with NTSC NES accessories and power adapter.
>>
>>4121771
I should add I've only ever owned RGB modded NESes/Famicoms. I speak about the HDMI mod from reading forums.
>>
I'd say get an AV Famicom, but those are expensive as shit now.

Trust me, you don't want the RF-only Famicom. If you're just getting an Everdrive I suggest the NES. The only notable advantage the Famicom offers is it allows games to have enhanced audio via soundchips in the cartridge (many of which the Everdrive can emulate by the way). In a stock NES you won't hear the enhanced sound, but you can do a very easy mod to enable it:
http://www.retrofixes.com/2014/05/open-hidden-sound-channels-in-nes.html

Aside from that, you pretty much aren't missing anything by getting an NES over a Famicom, since it's more or less the same console in a different shell.
>>
>>4121762
Famicom has super short cords, most of the good games are on the disc system, and they're in Japanese. But, those sound chips are rockin.

My advice is to get both.
>>
>>4121787
>you don't want the RF-only Famicom

I'm pretty sure you can mod composite into it. At least you can with the Sega Master System 2.
>>
>>4121762
Neither. You should get some shitty clone and leave the real hardware to the grownups.
>>
>>4121762
Get an AV Famicom, everything else is retarded.
>>
Perfect setup:

>Famicom 2
>Everdrive N8
>original NES pad (don't like the dogbones personally)
>PAL NES for PAL games

There, you can play everything.
>>
>>4121762
Get a frontloader NES
Cords are longer and supports composite
>>
>>4122340
>original NES pad
It sucks though, I suggest you try to track down a Micro Genius pad, or get Hyperkin's Cadet controller.
>PAL NES for PAL games
Not really worth having around, how many good PAL-exclusive/better in PAL games are there for the Famicom?
>>
>>4121775
Why would you go with the NES for HDMI?

I've done a couple of HiDef Installs and it's less of a hassle and easier to install on toploader's/av fami's.

The boards are made to fit onto the screw posts of the Toploader and AV Fami shells so contrary to the Frontloader you don't have to drill the case to fixate the HiDef board. It's also a lot easier to cut the HDMI hole since for the Toploader and AV Fami you have to cut it where the top and bottom shell comes together. On the Frontloader you have to cut it completely into the bottom shell meaning you'll first have to drill into it to even be able to get in there with a file and it often doesn't come out as nicely as for the others.

On top of that the better reliability of the top loading systems is always gonna be an advantage regardless of which mod you choose.
>>
Get the patrician twin Famicom
>>
>>4122118
But you still have to deal with hardwired controllers and short leads. Not fun.
>>
File: 02kWxF5.jpg (42KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
02kWxF5.jpg
42KB, 800x600px
>>4122490
Why does no one seem to be aware of these?
>>
>>4122539
Are you sure this won't cause input lag for days.
>>
>>4121762
The only thing you really gain with a Famicom over an NES is the expansion audio channels that are supported by a few Famicom games, but this can be worked around with a very simple mod. Even someone with literally zero modding experience could do it.
>>
>>4122785
you don't understand what causes input lag, do you?
>>
>>4122410
>Why would you go with the NES for HDMI?
Cheap
>>
>>4123191
Eh, dunno about america but here in europe you can from time to time get lucky and find some fairly cheap AV Fami's on ebay.
If I'd already shell out the money for an NESRGB or HiDef Kit i'd at least want to install it into a good console and if needed save up a little more first.
>>
>>4122873
No anon understands it perfectly. Cables causing input lag is totally not a bullshit meme and these cables will literally cause 50-60 hours of lag. Should be ok for playing RPGs though.
>>
>>4123191
You know what's even cheaper? Just leaving the console as it is.
>>
>>4123201
AV Fami in America is generally $100+ in nice shape.
NES are generally cheaper and you get long controllers.
>>
>>4123220
People loves mods, it makes them feel like nerd knights.

One of the best nerd feelings.
>>
>>4123225
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
>>
>>4123224
Ok then. At least you can generally get a Toploader NES cheaper over there.
Got myself a mint condition AV Fami with complete packaging and all for 70$ but had to shell out quite a bit more to get a toploader.
>>
Alright, different anon, but... which Famicom should I mod for RGB? I want to have full functionality, so obviously I'd use the FDD as well, but is the original Famicom the ONLY one that has a microphone?
>>
>>4123937
Have you ever seen the microphone anywhere else?
>>
>>4123950
If I was familiar with other versions then I wouldn't be asking.

So seriously? Not even as an add-on? What about the Twin Famicom?
>>
>>4123218
It's not a meme because the average retard isnt stupid enough to think its a problem that exists.

Port multipliers dont cause input lag, its like the one thing having a purpose build system like a console allows the designers to control for. You fucking nigger.
>>
>>4123967
Well, looking it up, it seems the Twin Famicom has a mic controller too.
>>
>>4122785
>passive converter
>input lag
well, any length of cable technically adds input lag, but it has to be absurdly long to matter, we're talking like 1 nanosecond of delay for every 6 inches of wire
>>
>>4123976
Well alright, looks like I'll get a Twin Famicom then. Turns out you don't even need to modify the shell, you can just repurpose the port for external RF modulators. And besides, they give natural composite anyway, so why use RF? Sounds perfect to me, thanks!
I'll probably get an unmodded original Famicom for novelty's sake anyway tho
>>
>>4123972
Welcome to /vr/ summer. You might want to lurk moar before before telling anyone how things are.
>Port multipliers
What a cute little baby

>>4124032
u 8 the b8 summer
>>
>>4123191
>>4123231
Miyamoto-san made NES composite color graded only just like God intended
>>
>>4121762
An original Famicom, an AV Composite mod and a decent power adapter if you care about the microphone.
If not, then get an AV Famicom with a Hyperkin Cadet controller or an original NES controller if you don't like the dogbone shape controller or the short wires..
>>
>>4124273
RGB and HDMI mods are memes, Composite is the best video option for the Famicom and the NES.
The colors just look unnatural when playing in RGB and/or the Hi-Def NES mod kit.
>>
>>4124390
>what are alternate color palettes?
>>
AV Famicom with the output mod of your choice is great. While I personally never found a compelling reason to buy a Disc System, the Famicom allows it while supporting extra hardware on cartridges.
>>
>>4125296
The Everdrive supports most FDS games out of the box anyway, so there's very little reason to get an FDS if you just want to play the games. The problem is that the Everdrive emulates the extra sound channel very poorly, and any game that uses it for music will sound like shit. The only reason to get an FDS is if you really like those chiptunes.
>>
>>4124390
>please put shit on my eyes developer-san! I trust you give me the best experience!
>>
>>4125209
>>4125503
Emulator alternate color palettes are inaccurate to me, though.
Not even FirebrandX's color palettes are accurate.
Also, Composite is the best-looking option for the Famicom, especially if you're playing on a CRT, even if it's a PVM/BVM.

Also, I have an Analogue NT Mini and I do love plugging it to my BVM in RGB with emulator color palettes.
But I still love my original Famicom better, though.
>>
Is there a way to get my fightstick working on my nes so I can pretend I'm on the playchoice?
>>
>>4126437
Yes
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.