[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

People are complaining about old games being hard now even though

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 16

Here's something I am starting to see around the internet. To anyone who has played the Sega Master System before, help me out here.

Although people complain about older games in general being hard, a common game I see hated on is Alex Kidd in Miracle World.
What is so difficult about that game? Okay, sure it has it's hard points. Most commonly the screen in the final castle with spikes everywhere. But, its still beatable. Very beatable.
People call this game horrible because of it's "extremely hard difficulty" and "for being unforgiving."
I watched James and Mike (mostly Mike) play this game. They were ratting on the game for being hard and not telling you on screen what to do, which explains that exactly in the manual. Also they didn't like it because of so.
What's with this nonsense? These people haven't played a difficult video game until they have played Fantasy Zone.
>>
Most people don't even know you can equip a ring in Alex Kidd to give you an infinite projectile attack. People are just silly, OP.
>>
>>4121112
Wait, really?
>>
>>4121116
>>4121112
Then they'll have a hack of a time trying the solve the puzzle at the end of the game.
>>
Alex Kidd in Miracle World was hard back then and it is a little easier now but still hard.
>>
It's people being bitches, OP. Remember we cleared those games back when we were kids. Hell, my brother cleared Miracle World when he was 5. The only part he needed help with was the final puzzle (we bought a magazine that had the answer).

People nowadays just want instant gratification. They don't want to work for their ending. That's why "casuals" hate fighting games. They don't understand you'll lose tons of times before you win consistently. They want to win from the get-go.

However, one thing I never understood. What does that pink block in the cave do? The manual says it gives you 70 coins, but it never explains what triggers it. You probably don't remember this block, I'll try to find an image online.
>>
>>4121112
can confirm, i beat miracle world without going into the inventory menu cuz i assumed pause just paused the game and i never needed to pause the game
>>
>>4121159
Did you think you just bought items from the shop for the fun of it?
>>
>>4121092
>Most commonly the screen in the final castle with spikes everywhere.

I managed to get through this only once. The other times I've played through the game I used the cane.
>>
>>4121179
I am actually able to do that flawlessly, but it took a long time because of no continue mode (unless you know that secret) I used the cane on the part where the frog blocks your path after the castle.
>>
>>4121179
Do you mean the underwater spikes? IIRC, if you don't push up when touching the top spikes (just let Alex float up to them), Alex won't be hurt by them. I discovered this by accident.
>>
>>4121170
He was probably six years old like the rest of us were when we played the game.

I remember when I found out that I could connect the rf cable directly to the television without using our faulty switch box. Man, I think that was the time in my life I felt the smartest.
>>
>>4121183
>Do you mean the underwater spikes?

Yeah. I don't remember exactly, it's about fifteen to twenty years since I last played the game.
>>
>>4121170
I finished the game at least 15 times before realizing what most of the items did. I used the Telepathy Stone right after getting it, so I thought seeing the enemies' thoughts (in jankenpo) was an ability given to you after you passed the cave, not an item you needed to use.

Incidentally, the B item is sorta useless, since the teleport powder makes you invincible for far longer.

Maybe I'm not remembering this right, but can you crash the motorcycle onto the bear boss in the forest? I remember my brother doing it, and that it hits the boss a few times, but maybe it's another game, and my memory is failing me.
>>
File: DSCN3516.jpg (412KB, 1196x918px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN3516.jpg
412KB, 1196x918px
>>4121183
It's kind of hard to not to press up or down on the controller because of the way they made the controller.
>>
>>4121196
You can but it usually goes though him into the wall and the boss usually turns around and kills you unless you're fast about it.
>>
File: image.jpg (43KB, 630x306px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43KB, 630x306px
>>4121183
>>4121179
Are you guys talking about this screen? If it is, then indeed you can just let Alex float up to the top spikes, and they won't hurt him. If however, you press up while touching them, he dies.
>>
>>4121210
Nice. I was pretty sure I saw my brother doing this once.
>>
>>4121136
Yeah I remember it, I don't know how to trigger it either.
>>
>>4121212

.. that's pants on head retarded. If I die during my next replay, imma gonna cry.

I never knew about the continue function on the game. I think I died here probably a tenfold of times.

Man was I tenacious as a kid.
>>
>>4121212
Yeah that screen,
>>
>>4121225
Same, I got so many gameovers here.
>>
>>4121092
People see fun as this instant bake thing that is supposed to be easy. People want "HOLY SHIT THIS IS SO FUN HOLY FUCK" kind of fun instead of "That was a good time" kind of fun. Basically what this >>4121136 guy said, casuals being casuals.
>>
File: block.jpg (32KB, 586x317px) Image search: [Google]
block.jpg
32KB, 586x317px
>>4121219
>>4121136
For anyone wondering, we're talking about this block. The manual says it reveals a secret, and I remember reading somewhere that it gives you 70 money, but I don't know how to trigger it.
>>
>>4121234
Yeah, I exactly what you mean, I tried punching the crap out of it, and nothing happened.
>>
>>4121092
Know why they're hard?

Because you were a fucking TODDLER and they were designed LIKE SHIT. Fire up any old game and make a list of all questionable design decisions in terms of interface, pacing, level design, and you'll have a dozen pages within an hour.
>>
>>4121234
That block just makes the rock below that platform disappear (it's originally blocking your path). It seems weird because it appears on its own in one of the first stages, and then only appears again near the end. They're switch boxes, like the pisces, star, waves, and so on.
>>
>>4121234
It's a switch box. You're supposed to punch or walk over them to do something. They have a whole set of them in the final puzzle. I guess the mystery is because it just appears out of the blue, and then never again until the last 2 stages or so.
>>
>>4121241
Jontron (if you know that guy) couldn't beat Monster Party, and that was easy as hell.
>>
File: trashgame.jpg (82KB, 640x910px) Image search: [Google]
trashgame.jpg
82KB, 640x910px
Did you guy ever like the original art style of Alex Kidd? In the Lost Stars American release he looks really lame.
>>
>>4121254
AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH
>>
File: AKTLS_skullass.jpg (144KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
AKTLS_skullass.jpg
144KB, 1280x960px
>>4121254
I always wondered what the hell was up with this guy shooting skulls out of his butt.
>>
>>4121254
I think its nice that it says "for 1 player" on the front of the box. It always peeved me that i had to look on the back of the box to see if the game has multiplayer or not
>>
File: bow_wow.jpg (112KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
bow_wow.jpg
112KB, 1280x960px
>>4121254
B O W
W O W
>>
File: youweresaying.jpg (590KB, 1283x800px) Image search: [Google]
youweresaying.jpg
590KB, 1283x800px
>>4121254

The Japanese covers are different iirc, they westernized them.

I played Alex Kidd in Shinobi world today, and man that game was a bit harder than I remembered. I lost at the beginning of the last chapter, and ragequit.
>>
>>4121136
>They don't want to work for their ending. That's why "casuals" hate fighting games
Don't delude yourself
>>
File: skulls.gif (185KB, 250x150px) Image search: [Google]
skulls.gif
185KB, 250x150px
>>4121265
>>
File: AlexKiddInShinobiWorld.jpg (36KB, 342x475px) Image search: [Google]
AlexKiddInShinobiWorld.jpg
36KB, 342x475px
>>4121265
Japan.

Also apperently Alex Kidd got better artwork with Shinobi World. But, that sun is really unsettling
>>
File: why.jpg (91KB, 511x344px) Image search: [Google]
why.jpg
91KB, 511x344px
>>4121272
They did it to Wonderboy too.
>>
The pink star blocks remove the block beneath them
>>
>>4121279
No, I think he's onto something
>>
File: you-must-be-new-here.jpg (25KB, 311x311px) Image search: [Google]
you-must-be-new-here.jpg
25KB, 311x311px
>>4121092
>implying underage casuals are people
>>
The gaming audience of today is not the same as the audience of yesteryear. Game reviewers today think Crash Bandicoot is hard because you can die with one mistake and don't get infinite continues.
>>
>>4122137
Crash Bandicoot was always considered hard.
>>
>>4121136
instant gratification is why games marketed towards esports fail hard: people get instantly gratified and then get bored real fast, because they didn't have to work for their gratification, so things burnout fast.
>>
>>4121092
i find this game very hard because you have to know it by heart and be extremely rigorous to beat it. maybe you're just special and very talented OP (that was the point of that thread wasn't it)
>>
File: disappointment.jpg (122KB, 800x557px) Image search: [Google]
disappointment.jpg
122KB, 800x557px
>>4121092
BREAKING NEWS!

People on the internet will complain about literally anything. Even I complained that Fantasy Zone's last level is just a bossrush followed by an easy and underwhemling final battle. BLAH

That's not the point though. Point is. Don't waste your precious life minutes on the useless complaints of strangers online.
>>
>>4121092
>I watched James and Mike (mostly Mike) play this game.

Here is your problem. Both are very clueless about games in general, how they work, how they play...
>>
File: image.jpg (54KB, 230x319px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54KB, 230x319px
I wonder how they would cope with contra/probotector these days?
>>
>>4122468
I never beat the boss rush in Super Fantasy Zone
>>
>>4122529
You didn't miss much. Bosses are the boring part of the Fantasy Zones.
>>
>comfy Alex Kidd thread

I only ever played Miracle World. The other games worth playing as well?
>>
>>4122606
Shinobi World is OK
Lost Stars is AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH
High Tech World is meh
BMX Trial is meh
Enchanted Castle is shit

Just play Shinobi World, forget about the rest.
>>
>>4122624
>High Tech World is meh

High Tech World is evil.
>>
>>4122141
Is this serious? I find them pretty easy and I was a N64 kid
>>
>>4122624
Miracle World is better than Shinobi Kid, more variety in the level design and gameplay and isn't as short, just sucks that the bosses are bad (but that's excusable, for an '86 game).
>>
>>4122768
>if you don't wait until 12:00 at this unspecified place, you lose your only chance to finish the game
FUCK

>>4122820
I don't know what people are smoking, I don't remember Crash being considered hard ever. It was hard to 100% it, but not to just clear the stages. The owner of the game center I played at (a guy in his mid-40s) finished all three Crash games when they came out, and he didn't even play other games. I remember the only things he asked us (the people who played at the game center) for help was how to find the secret stages in Crash 3, and that red gem in Crash 2. The rest he did all on his own.
>>
>>4122624
Hmm, I grew up with a mega drive so only played enchanted castle (outside of visiting a friend with a master system and playing that pack in briefly).
I should go back and properly play the ms games.

Why is Enchanted Castle considered bad?
>>
>>4121092
If they think Alex Kidd if frustrating, obviously they never played level 8 on Super Mario Brothers.
>>
>>4121092
>But, its still beatable. Very beatable.

Not without a guide. I don't think the solution to the final stage is hinted at anywhere in the game. Trial-and-error would be incredibly fucking difficult here, given the length of the puzzle. You'd Game Over long before you could decode it.

But if you happened to consult a guide, yeah, the game was very beatable. I even went out of my way to get all the trophies in the PSN version.
>>
File: 1498307808846.jpg (169KB, 640x876px) Image search: [Google]
1498307808846.jpg
169KB, 640x876px
>"This shit is harder than Dark Souls!"

It's always funny to watch Gen Z kiddies try to play games from the third and fourth generations.
>>
File: alex322.jpg (54KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
alex322.jpg
54KB, 400x300px
>>4123404
Play Miracle World. Enchanted Castle tried to be a sequel, but failed horribly.

>>4123837
Actually, the solution is in the game itself, however you would only understand if you knew japanese. Not the language, but the order in which stuff is read. The Hirotta Stone (pic related) must be read top to bottom, right to left. It tells the order of the switches.

So yeah, you would need a guide, but for a different reason. Not because it isn't anywhere, but because it doesn't make sense for a Westerner.
>>
>>4123885
still no need for a guide. the crown at the end is a hint at the order. everyone dies a few times here but it's not difficult to solve
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.