[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Games that literally only you liked. I liked this game

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 119
Thread images: 32

ITT: Games that literally only you liked.

I liked this game more than any other JRPG ever. I wish there was a JRPG like this but better, but none of the Final Fantasies can compete.
>>
File: Gubble.jpg (107KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Gubble.jpg
107KB, 600x600px
>>
File: Trickstyle.jpg (58KB, 300x280px) Image search: [Google]
Trickstyle.jpg
58KB, 300x280px
>>4116025
>>
>>4116025
Batman Dark Tomorrow on the Xbox.
>>
>>4116125
Not retro, you philistine.
>>
>>4116025
bought it for the shogo, stayed for the septerra core
>>
>>4116218
They sold it with Shogo?
>>
File: Arc_the_Lad_2_cover[1].jpg (23KB, 256x255px) Image search: [Google]
Arc_the_Lad_2_cover[1].jpg
23KB, 256x255px
>>4116025
I remember liking Septerra Cora but also having a really hard time progressing as a kid, not even sure if I finished it. Silver was another PC RPG I really enjoyed.

Pic related was my favorite SRPG back in the day, and this was a time where SRPGs were plenty on the PS1.
Before the internet I never met anyone who knew of it's existence.
>>
>>4116267
I too played it as a kid first but got stuck forever on the part where you need sonic dampeners to fight the lava boss.
>>
>>4116074
Holy shit, I remember that game when I was a kid.
Good taste
>>
>>4116025
Never heard of this before, looks really cool anon. Thanks, I'm interested in checking it out. Big fan of both wrpg and jrpgs so this mix of the two seems really unique.
>>
>>4116349
I mean it's not really a mix, it's just a JRPG with a better interface. A true mixture of WRPG and JPRG is Planescape: Torment
>>
>>4116025
This brings me back.
I remember my party consisting of the Robot-Dog and the Mohawk-bro at the beginning and later using the Paladin and the Mage-chick because they were both so OP (?).
>>
File: shogo septerra.jpg (29KB, 426x320px) Image search: [Google]
shogo septerra.jpg
29KB, 426x320px
>>4116229
Got it at Target in like 2004
>>
>>4116025
Dawg you are not nearly the only person who liked Septerra Core, as this thread amply demonstrates. I've still got my copy somewhere.
>>
>>4116508
Runner, Grubb, Corgan and Selina respectively
>>
>>4116025
I had a crush on the mechanic girl Led
>>
>>4116907
I didn't like her as a kid, she was annoying
>>
Abomination: The Nemesis Project

It used to give me nightmares
>>
>>4116025
Muscle wrestling for new. That was my childhood.
>>
File: gameskqftitle.gif (4KB, 192x202px) Image search: [Google]
gameskqftitle.gif
4KB, 192x202px
Kabuki Quantum Fighter on NES.

I LOVED this game as a kid. I played through it dozens of times and hoped for a sequel. It was a really fun game with good combat and a cool system where you could trade health for weapons or vice-versa. Great music and graphics.

Also I'm the only person alive that loved Tag Team Wrestling on NES. I played it all the time.
>>
File: 28131201[1].jpg (299KB, 850x1194px) Image search: [Google]
28131201[1].jpg
299KB, 850x1194px
The intricacies of this game's scoring system and power-up/level distribution truly are an enigma.

Plus, it's just trippy as all get out so that's a big plus in terms of entertainment for me.
>>
Gorky 17
>>
>>4117023
Wow that's a real spoopy game
>>
GRUNTZ
>>
>>4118163
Ah I tried playing that recently but I couldn't get it to work in any way shape or form
>>
I know one real time strategy game that no one else on Earth played.

It was top down like Warcraft but had better graphics.

The enemies were some bug like creatures. I remember some worm like or brain like structures.

But it wasn't KKND2. I never knew the name of the game.
>>
>>4116521
not OP but no one is gonna actually be the only person to play a mass produced game. Septerra Core does seem to be largely forgotten or unplayed.
>>
I'm the only one on /vr/ who played Polda 1-3

Polda 4 is not retro
>>
>>4118342
Warwind?
>>
>>4118965
Looks somewhat similar but I'm not sure, the graphics looked a bit more modern.
>>
>>4116025
Jrpg is not a genre.
>>
>>4119047
Yes it is.
>>
File: Myth_III_box_art.jpg (125KB, 256x311px) Image search: [Google]
Myth_III_box_art.jpg
125KB, 256x311px
>>
>>4119051
No it's not, as it does not to describe the gameplay.
By your definition Fire Emblem, Persona, Tales of and Dark souls are the same genre.
>>
>>4119053
>No it's not, as it does not to describe the gameplay.
Yes it is because that's precisely what it does.

Dark Souls is not a JRPG, Fire Emblem is a tactical JRPG and Persona is a pure JRPG
>>
>>4119057
>Turn based combat makes a game a JRPG
I know you are now this retard.
What about all the Western RPGs with turned based combat?
>Dark Souls is not a JRPG
It's not, because Jrpg means nothing, it's an action RPG made it Japan.
>>
>>4119063
>>4119057
>>4119053
Three can play at this game. "Survival horror" isn't a real genre. Its just an adventure game with horror elements.
>>
>>4119063
>>Turn based combat makes a game a JRPG
No it doesn't. JPRGs have a very different approach to turn based combat
>>
>>4119072
Please elaborate...

Pls don't even both with that garbage extra credits video.
>>
>>4119098
Turn based combat is complex and filled with various options that include more than just selecting an attack type

JRPG turn based combat is (99% of the time) some sort of bastardization of Wizardry menu attack picking, since that's what the Japs copied it from in the first place

There's just a painstakingly obvious difference between turn based RPGs (I can't think of even one that Japan made) such as Fallout, Jagged Alliance, Underrail, Age of Decadence, Temple of Elemental Evil etc
versus
the bastardized turn based combat in JPRGs (Western made JRPGs included in examples:) such as Purse Owner, Final Fantasies, Earthbound, Undertale, Septerra Core.

Even the tactical JRPGs can't compete with the tactical turn based RPGs/strategies (i.e. when you compare the options you have in JA2 and Tactics Ogre.
>>
Fragile Allegiance

You never heard the title before
>>
It was a top down shooter game where enemies ran at you as you walked through streets filled with destroyed buildings and stuff
>>
>>
File: img_0329.jpg (227KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
img_0329.jpg
227KB, 960x640px
best sonic honestly
>>
SUBMARINE TITANS
>>
>>4119128
Ok, lets break this down.

>turnbased combat is complex and filled with various options that include more than just selecting an attack type

Ok, thank you. Clearly you haven’t played many turn-based rpgs from Japan if you think they are all like DQ or FF. I’m not going to spoon feed you some of the more complex turnbased systems.

>Jrpg combat is 99% of the wizadry menu attack picking

Obviously Wizadry is a big inspiration for many devs, wester and Japanese. But again man, how many turn based rpgs from japan have you played? Cleary not many, if you think they are all Wizadry clones….

>Painstakingly obvious difference between turn based rpgs vs the bastardized turn based combat in jrpgs

Fallout, JA, Underrail, Aage of Decadence, etc are all isometric rpgs, which are their own category all together.

Fuck man, you are hat-on-ass-retarded. But you are right, the japs don’t make any isometric rpgs.

But they are really in their own category, and things like age JA are more akin to strategy rpgs anyway. Have you ever played any Japanese strategy/tactics rpgs??? Serious question. If you had you could easy see the similarities, Besides the POV.

>western made jrpgs

You got me, top quality bait or you the dumbest nigger on 4chan

Tldr

Play more games my man. You have a very limited knowledge of Japanese games.
>>
>>4120273
>Ok, thank you. Clearly you haven’t played many turn-based rpgs from Japan if you think they are all like DQ or FF. I’m not going to spoon feed you some of the more complex turnbased systems.
I don't need to be spoonfed. You literally cannot name something that's as complex as Jagged Alliance 2 or even X-COM.

>Obviously Wizadry is a big inspiration for many devs, wester and Japanese. But again man, how many turn based rpgs from japan have you played? Cleary not many, if you think they are all Wizadry clones….
Every single big franchise JRPG is a clone of the same combat system.Of course to a weaboo like you tiny differences look huge.

>>4120273
>Fallout, JA, Underrail, Aage of Decadence, etc are all isometric rpgs, which are their own category all together.
>Fuck man, you are hat-on-ass-retarded. But you are right, the japs don’t make any isometric rpgs.
More like you're utterly braindead:
>"Isometric = changes camera perspective = DIFFERENT GENRE!!"
Infinity Engine games and clones are also isometric, so they're the same by your standards, even though the gameplay is completely different.

>You got me, top quality bait or you the dumbest nigger on 4chan

Typical crossie weaboo /v/ermin argumentation.

Your tiny brainlet brain cannot comprehend that JRPG is a specific genre of games, which is why it's the only [nation]RPG ever used on the Internet. There are no GRPG, UKRPG, USARPG, ZRPG or RURPGs. Why? Because they're not a fucking genre of games. Only JRPGs are. Why? Because it's referring to a fucking cookie cutter gameplay clone.

Every single fucking RPG made with the RPG Maker XYZ thing is also automatically a JRPG. It doesn't matter what nationality makes it.

Dumb fucking /v/ermin.
>>
>>4116267
I breezed through Arc the Lad and Arc the Lad 2, but then I decided to try out Arc Arena real quick before going to Arc the Lad 3.

I never ended up playing the third one.
>>
>>4119838
I hate all sdoni
>>
I was obsessed with anything Robin Hood as a kid. I actually even managed to beat this game multiple times at age 6 or 7.

I'll always have a soft spot for this even though it's terrible in almost every category you can imagine.
>>
>>4116109
Is it actually good? I really want a good arcade racer for dreamcast, Daytona and Hydro thunder are ok is this better?
>>
>>4120405
>slav using 'weeaboo'
lmao, we have a fellow westerner Rawhide Ivanovich here, fan of superior Western PC games and American memes.

>crossie weaboo
Do you realize on what board are you posting?
>>
File: 250px-Summonercover.jpg (32KB, 250x300px) Image search: [Google]
250px-Summonercover.jpg
32KB, 250x300px
I thought this was great, although I never got past the forced stealth section.

It has aged kind of annoyingly and is too slow to replay.
>>
Gates of Skeldal
>>
>>4116025
I liked the setting and the characters, but the isometric view and how they made areas made doors a real pain to navigate, plus the combat system had a real habit of messing up any tactics or rhythm because there's always an enemy activating a millisecond before you're ready to click on a character...
>>
Future Cop LAPD
>>
>>4120632

If you don't think Western RPGs are superior to JRPG dogshit then you are utterly delusional.

No, they're not "to each their own" or "both have good points and bad points".

There's no JRPG with a story better than PS:T and there's no JRPG with a better combat than half a dozen of best Western RPG combats.
>>
>>4122003
When i want good stories i read books. Western rpgs try too hard. With jrpgs you know the story is part of the game, part of the mechanics. They are 'videogame tier' stories, as with graphics, music, etc.
>>
>>4122020
>When i want good stories i read books.
And muted.
>>
>>4120670
This game is a classic. Hard to find anyone who didn't like it when it came out. The devs just couldn't improve on its few quirks enough in the sequel and it got left behind because too big and too clunky. It's still a must-play WRPG. Even the PS2 version is nice.
>>
>>4122003
Like I'm going to arguing with mentally ill who posts Fallout as example of a game with good combat. Fuck off.
>>
>>4122030
Better than all of Final Fantasy combat.
>>
File: 6lOMawg.png (46KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
6lOMawg.png
46KB, 640x400px
>>4122003
Which WRPG has good combat? If you're going to say any IE game i'm going to laugh.
The "story" problem is completely cultural. What passes as a good story in Japan doesn't necessarily in the west. Japanese society is childish by nature so the stories are childish, however the Japanese try very hard to make actual FANTASY. So if you're a FANTASY fan you're going to look at every WRPG game and see a fucking medieval village with some deformed pig-bears and dirty peasants over and over again. A JRPG will almost always be infinitely more interesting than any tolkien look-alike.
>>
>>4122039
>Which WRPG has good combat
AGE OF DECADENCE
UNDERRAIL
TEMPLE OF ELEMENTAL EVIL
JAGGED ALLIANCE 2
(lots of dungeon crawlers that aren't wizardry)
(lots of action RPGs be it hack and slash FPS hybrid)

>If you're going to say any IE game i'm going to laugh.
They still have better combat than all your favorite JRPGs.
>>
>>4122046
Are you picking the most niche titles on purpose hoping i haven't played them? Tough luck, troll.

Age of Decadence combat is notoriously shit. Not only it does nothing new compared to the typical ancient strategy rpg combat, but it's there just to aggravate the player. FF tactics blows it out of the water a thousand times over for fun and strategic variety. So does every old Fire Emblem game (and i hate FE).

Underrail is a basically tired, repetitive Fallout. Which is little different from IE games combat, which just have the usual repurposed and borked D&D system. Any of these games are better than Underrail.

The other games are literally copy pasted with the same type of battle system, which is clearly the only thing you like, and while they're not the only battle system WRPGs have, they're a redundant style all those old autists like you who simply cannot adapt to anything new, creative, or interesting gobble down over and over again.

Actual good combat systems in WRPGS:
Dragon Age Origins
DD: Original Sin
Summoner
Witcher 3
Dungeon Siege

These are still BTFO by well-thought and custom designed japanese rpgs:
FF XI
Dark Souls
FF Tactics
Grandia 3
Legend of Legaia
The Last Remnant
Xenoblade
Valkyrie Profile
Even fucking disgusting "Tales of" games
>>
>>4122075
>Dragon Age Origins
All I needed to see.

I cringed.
I laughed.
I disregarded the rest of your post.

Vermin Biodrone + vermin Weaboo = The Alpha Vermin.
>>
>>4122075
>combat that's too hard for me is bad!
>>
>>4122076
I knew you'd say that, that's why i put it in first.
You just banally outed yourself as an autist who hates brands and cultures rather than actual games, innovation or creativity. Keep playing your 1 flavor forever and feeling smart, but stop bothering others online just because you have no friends.
>>
>>4122081
>strawman
>>
>>4122085
>guy who loves JRPGs more than anything in the world
>"Keep playing your 1 flavor forever"

What an elaborate troll.
>>
>>4120415
the third game is decent but not as good as 1 and 2 imo
>>
File: IMG_6420.jpg (23KB, 251x201px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6420.jpg
23KB, 251x201px
so fucking hard though
>>
Undertale is a JPRG too
>>
File: download (11).jpg (22KB, 188x267px) Image search: [Google]
download (11).jpg
22KB, 188x267px
>>
File: download (12).jpg (11KB, 197x144px) Image search: [Google]
download (12).jpg
11KB, 197x144px
>>
File: download (8).jpg (7KB, 117x144px) Image search: [Google]
download (8).jpg
7KB, 117x144px
>>
File: act2.jpg (139KB, 640x1164px) Image search: [Google]
act2.jpg
139KB, 640x1164px
The japanese version is more merciful than the western releases, though.
>>
>>4122609

NOT RETRO!!!!!
I played it too
>>
>>4116025
>>
>>4122978
This reminds me of one of our university lecturers who said that he pretty much did the same thing when he was in Florida.
>>
>>4122978
Was he a biologist?
>>
>>4123004
Meant for
>>4122980
>>
>>4120509
It's pretty great, yeah. It doesn't really feel like a racer though. Feels more Tony Haw + future.
>>
>>4119750
I loved the demo. Never played the full version.
>>
File: ED-HttK.png (132KB, 256x257px) Image search: [Google]
ED-HttK.png
132KB, 256x257px
I wouldn't really brag about it...

> missions suck
> controls suck
> camera sucks
> combat sucks

The one saving factor is the game's story and the visually terrible, even for the time, voice acted cutscenes with Bruce Campbell.

I guess I'm just a fanboy as I know of nobody that can admit liking this game even a tad as much as I do.
>>
>>4123004
No, he was a crisis coordinator and project manager. He went there on vacation and got assaulted by gators.
>>
File: 250px-BattleHunter_cover.jpg (20KB, 250x251px) Image search: [Google]
250px-BattleHunter_cover.jpg
20KB, 250x251px
I loved this game
>>
>>4123108
This is strangely familiar
>>
WWF Royal Rumble on the Sega Dreamcast
>>
I'm pretty sure I'm the only person on Earth who played Nightlong [ghosttown%] from start to finish
>>
File: bh10.png (239KB, 802x598px) Image search: [Google]
bh10.png
239KB, 802x598px
>>4123108
I see you are a gentleman as well.

Sweet jesus this game is/was fucking fun. Should be bullshit shovelware, and it is in some ways. Crap translation, bugs, poor art, but it's all wrapped around a lovely core of randomly generated board game and raw, naked violence.

Still play this shit often even to this day. The howls of anger over theft, the shitbag who invests everything in move, the motherfucker who camps on an exit and black bags whoever has the target...joy. Someone needs to take the core gameplay, boost up some of the story, enhance the rpg aspects, and then boost it back on some kind of gaming service.

If you haven't seen it, same company made a game called "top shop", it is basically monopoly but in a mall, with fucking insane bullshit chance cards. Play it, seriously.
>>
>>4118342
Dark Colony? The enemies are aliens like, literally the Greys while the allies are space marines?
>>
>>4123739
That might be it. The perspective fits and the terrain looks familiar but it seems like they don't have a lot of buildings/structures
>>
RAST BRONX
>>
File: milagro-1.jpg (5KB, 180x135px) Image search: [Google]
milagro-1.jpg
5KB, 180x135px
M e t a l

F a t i g u e

/thread
>>
>>4125287
Rise of the Robots was a better robot fighting game
>>
>>4122003
there's no wrpg with waifus cuter than any jrpg
>>
File: septerra core2.jpg (102KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
septerra core2.jpg
102KB, 640x480px
>>4116025
Playing that right now, slow combat really drags it down. There are some nice ideas there, especially with the fate card combos, but you only get any freedom with them in the second half after you're already sick to death of fighting. Dungeons are a pain too, not just due to the constant shitty encounters but the fact that puzzles there are usually just levers at the end of a corridor opening a door at the start. It's pure padding and lazy design

Thankfully, everything else about it is fantastic. Don't think I've seen a setting like this in vidya before, and there's lore tucked away everywhere. Why is Lobo so brobo?
>>
>>4116338
That was a cheeky puzzle, it just made too much sense to try at first. They were even thrown in with the other element damage resist items so they wouldn't stand out, and only available at a couple of shops
>>
File: images (23).jpg (29KB, 363x405px) Image search: [Google]
images (23).jpg
29KB, 363x405px
>>4116025
Clunky as fuck but with a ton of practice and move tweaking you could be a walking dismemberment machine. Plus, there is something inherently satisfying about cutting someones arm off and beating them to death with it.
>>
>>4126718
Is it better than Mount and Blade swordfighting?
>>
>>4116074
Gotta admit I was more a fan of Gubble 2
>>
File: 1414132011077.gif (998KB, 200x233px) Image search: [Google]
1414132011077.gif
998KB, 200x233px
>>4116025

OH MY GOD DUDE

I've been trying to think of this game for like 10 years (yeah yeah granted I didn't go insane with my sleuthing).

I played it on a friend's comp when I was in like middle school and never beat it, then kept trying to figure out what that game was. Nigga you just made my day
>>
Captain CLAW

It didn't even make me a furry.
>>
>>4116025
>Plays a weeb game
>Ayyy all JRPGS suck! USA USA!
>Comprain on a chinese cartoon board!

This must be b8
>>
>>4127834
>Mount and Blade swordfighting?
Probably not. It doesn't have horses or merc hiring or other stuff. Also not retro.
>>
File: file.png (871KB, 685x685px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
871KB, 685x685px
>>
File: Alundra NTSC-U.jpg (667KB, 904x859px) Image search: [Google]
Alundra NTSC-U.jpg
667KB, 904x859px
Never met anyone who has played it, most haven't even heard of it. Which makes it a bit more special
>>
>>4127892
Feb 28, 1998 to be exact. Rules say pre 99, like this shithole has any authority on the topic of retro games in the first place.
>>4127834
Its.. different. Much more complicated, turning your body lends weight to your swings, so if you are just mouse waggling you dont do much damage. It was a brilliant concept executed poorly, but still great fun after a shitload of practice.
>>
I loved this game so much.
>>
>>4127924
I played the hell out of that game.

Never did finish it, but I got a bit emotional when your childhood friend gave up the part on his custom robo thing so you could finally use your ultimates/meter moves.

Hell, I even had a weird dream where the final boss was this "Wonder-woman" like bot and it was the final round of some tournament against this girl genius who built that new WW model to beat all models.
>>
>>4128561
Chamaleons are supposed to be green
>>
File: O87X8XX.gif (241KB, 200x193px) Image search: [Google]
O87X8XX.gif
241KB, 200x193px
>>4128981
>>
>>4128981
check your squamata privilege
>>
>>4128986
>>4128981
fuck forgot pic
>>
>>4127836
There was a 2?
>>
File: battle-bugs_1.gif (49KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
battle-bugs_1.gif
49KB, 640x480px
>>
Tomba 2!

Ever notice how pigs are always villains in video games?
Thread posts: 119
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.