[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What game invented wall jumping? What game invented charge shots?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7

File: Batman_-_The_Video_Game_NES_07.png (3KB, 512x480px) Image search: [Google]
Batman_-_The_Video_Game_NES_07.png
3KB, 512x480px
What game invented wall jumping?
What game invented charge shots?
What game invented sliding?

Talk about iconic mechanics and what games you think invented them.
>>
I don't care which invented it but Megaman X implemented it the best
>>
Wall jumping is trash. If you fuck up and fall down a pit, you shouldn't be able to recover from it. Take your punishment.
>>
>>4111772
Depends how the game is designed. If a wall jump is hard to pull off and allows skillfull players one last chance, why not implement it to up the skill ceiling? And if a wall jump allows for other interesting level design, what is the harm in allowing players to avoid pits?
>>
>>4111771
Absolutely, MMX2 was my very first video game, and I remember the wall jumping just blew my 7 year old mind at the time.
>>
File: ColbertDispleased.png (220KB, 629x329px) Image search: [Google]
ColbertDispleased.png
220KB, 629x329px
>>4111769

Ninja Gaiden
MM2
TMNT Arcade
>>
Tell you what tho, I have a hard-on for those timed hits in SMRPG
>>
>>4111909
MM2 did not have a charge shot.
>>
File: smb_walljump2.gif (19KB, 200x149px) Image search: [Google]
smb_walljump2.gif
19KB, 200x149px
Did you know? SMB and SMB3 have frame-perfect walljumps.
>>
>>4111772
t. hardcuck gamur
>>
>>4111920
Yes, though it is debatable how well known that was back in the day when games like Ninja Gaiden and Batman on NES were made.
>>
>>4111917
Atomic Fire.
>>
>>4111960
Oh. Right. I keep forgetting that weapon because it was so fucking bad (like most weapons in MM2, why is that title so revered?)
>>
>>4111967
t. only spammed metal blades in mm2 like a scrub

mm2 weapons have the highest interaction amount with the level designs of any classic megaman game
>>
>>4111971
>t. only spammed metal blades in mm2 like a scrub
I beat that game once a months, mostly buster only because classic Megaman is the most fun like that. I usually restrain myself from using metal blade even if I use robot master weapons.

MM2's weapons are also designed to
>be used at one moment and one moment only (flash stopper)
>drain too much energy (charged atomic fire)
>be marginally better versions of your normal buster (quick boomerang, non-charged atomic fire)
>have wonky hit detection (air shooter)
>have very few parts where they are useful (lead bubble)
>utterly break the game completely (metal blade)

Crash Man and Wood Man are okay, but Crash Bomber has a straight upgrade in utility in Drill Bomber, and Leaf Shield is kinda weird as a shield since you cannot move while using it, effectively turning it into a large projectile unless you are on a moving platform.

Anyway, almost all of those weapons have better versions in later games
>lead bubble -> search snakes
>atomic fire -> pharaoh shot
>metal blade -> shadow blade (balanced much better)
>MM2 Flash Stopper -> MM4 Flash Stopper

Megaman 2 is a relict, I would much rather play any of its sequels today.
>>
>>4111920
My childhood is a lie...
>>
>>4111769
>What game invented charge shots?

Dragon NInja had its "fire punch" a year before Megaman 2 came out. Not sure if you'd count that, but the basic premise was you held the punch button down to build up a stronger attack.
>>
>>4111909
>>4112160
R-Type has the first iconic charge shot plebs
>>
>>4112170

Oh yeah, R-Type. I was sure there was a shoot-em-up that had it before Dragon Ninja, but I kept thinking it was Gradius for some reason, and I checked that and nope.
Then I figured it was my brain playing tricks on me for a minute.

Hang on, I have to go yell at some kids on my lawn.
>>
Most of these "inventions" are really intuitive shit that would be discovered sooner or later
>>
File: mad laughter.gif (2MB, 350x300px) Image search: [Google]
mad laughter.gif
2MB, 350x300px
>>4112196

That's amazing, Captain Obvious! Any other useless observations you want to make in lieu of contributing to the discussion?
>>
>>4111928
Any kid who played the hell out of SMB1 has walljumped by accident, and done far weirder stuff

Did Contra invent down+A to go through a platform?
>>
>>4111928
Probably well known given how it was how floors worked back then where every sprite block had a "surface"
>>
>>4111772
Nah, i think it should be limited to 1 walljump at least.

Double jump is shit tho, nobody can jump hard enough to gain air traction
>>
Answer to all three is Donkey Kong
>>
What game invented grappling hook mechanics?
>>
>>4112368

Bionic Commando, obviously.
>>
>>4111769
Considering those are all things that existed in various media prior to video games, the answer would be "none".
>>
File: castlewolfenstein_appleii.gif (5KB, 560x384px) Image search: [Google]
castlewolfenstein_appleii.gif
5KB, 560x384px
Basically every stealth game is patterned after the original Castle Wolfenstein. As rudimentary as it was, it totally defined the core gameplay of the genre for decades to come. It even invented mechanics as seemingly advanced as hold-ups and disguises.
>>
What game invented grab and throw mechanics? First one I can think is SMB2USA
>>
>>4112196
Well, yeah
the same can be said for most inventions in real life
Do you really think nobody would think of the airplane if it weren't for the Wright brothers?
>>
File: MegaMan4Inline_1272047571.jpg (199KB, 480x268px) Image search: [Google]
MegaMan4Inline_1272047571.jpg
199KB, 480x268px
MM4 was thefirst MM to implement charge shot. But not the first game.

>>4111771 Hell yeah.
>>
>>4112565

Oh yeah, I played that on my C64. I was a bit disappointed when I found out that all you could do was shoot people in Wolfenstein 3D.
>>
>>4111920

I've only ever done this by accident.
>>
>>4111912

That was my first RPG and I still instinctively time button presses when attacks connect in RPGs because of that.
>>
>>4112767

Same here, beat Mario 1, 2, and 3 on the NES, too.
>>
>>4112008
You can't bitch about Metal Blade and then talk up MM4's Time Stopper. That thing is just as much of a broken piece of shit.
>>
>>4112797
I agree that Megaman 4's time stopper is pretty op, but it does not break the game the same way metal blade does. It does not let you easily dispatch enemies above you, and if you use it for everything it will quickly run out of energy. On top of that, only one boss in the game is weak to it (or even effected by it), while every other boss in MM2 is weak to metal blade - not necessarily in the sense that they take more damage, but mechanically they are easier to hit with it.
>>
>>4112742
MM4 came out in 1991
Metroid came out in 1986

What was that, Fag?
>>
>>4113746
My bad anon, reading comprehension didn't kick in til after I hit send.>>4112742
>>
>>4112170
Metroid came out in 1986. R-type came out in 1987.
>>
>>4112210
This. I just replayed Super Mario Bros. and Lost Levels from the Super Mario All-Stars version and I've managed to walljump several times, even if they were all accidental and useless because I fell down in a pit anyway.
Never managed to do it on an emulator but that has more to do with me not putting in much effort playing on emulators than input latency.
>>
>>4113746
>>4113751
Wait, there was a charge shot in Metroid?
>>
File: Super_Mario_Bros_cover.jpg (76KB, 350x507px) Image search: [Google]
Super_Mario_Bros_cover.jpg
76KB, 350x507px
The walljump in SMB is the reason why Mario isn't actually dying on the black label cover. They even added some lines to symbolize momentum
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.