[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This may be a stupid question but I recently discovered Waku

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: Fernandez_idle.gif (59KB, 170x182px) Image search: [Google]
Fernandez_idle.gif
59KB, 170x182px
This may be a stupid question but I recently discovered Waku Waku 7 and I really love it.
But there was something that caught my attention. In the vid you can see Slash fighting Fernandez and I want to know how they did the flashing color effects. Like Fernandez' outline and Slash's sword. I found their sprites on the snk wiki but is it really just a bunch of sprites with different colors or is it some fx going on here?
If it's some effect I would like to know the technical term so I can look up more about it as atm I'm not too familiar with computer graphics jargon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZewUM5cV94
>>
File: quest-for-glory_waterfall.gif (621KB, 640x380px) Image search: [Google]
quest-for-glory_waterfall.gif
621KB, 640x380px
>>4111574
> I found their sprites on the snk wiki but is it really just a bunch of sprites with different colors or is it some fx going on here?

Nah, it's just they wanted to keep the effect in the "rip" most likely. The actual in-game effect is palete shifting, one of the oldest tricks there is:

Basically, games gave each graphic resource a limited color palette with a certain number of "entries" (usually way more restrictive for sprites) and while the number of entries was limited, each one could represent any color from a large master palette while still being applied to the same part of the image. Therefore, you could create several versions of the same image using very inexpensive numerical data instead of a full blown new bitmap (like with enemy variants in classic jRPG's) or create a function that would modify the color cyclically on the fly to create cool effects like halos, waterfalls, metallic reflections, etc.

It's a neat technique, and it's mostly gone in modern game development because most engines have no color limitations at all and just use true color bitmaps
>>
>>4111606
thanks, I'm gonna look into that.
>>
>>4111574
You might also want to check out Galaxy Fight and Astra Super Stars.
>>
>>4111736
I have, sunsoft made amazing games but Waku Waku 7 had the best example of what I wanted to talk about.
>>
It's a fighting game, there's nothing to talk about that hasn't already been covered by the shouryuken wiki. Find some friends and have fun or get on fightcade.
>>
>>4111746
protip: read the OP first before commenting.
>>
>>4111751
I was replying to >>4111741
>>
fighting games are trash
>>
>>4111762
that still doesn't make any sense.
>what I wanted to talk about
>It's a fighting game, there's nothing to talk about
read the OP and you'll know what I wanted to talk about. I wasn't talking about fighting games, I was talking about a graphical effect as seen in a particular fighting game.
>>4111775
same for you

>>4111606
this is definitely what I needed to know. at least one person gave me a relevant answer, thanks. people like you make this site sufferable.
>>
all those good graphics wasted on a shitty fighting game engine without any competitive merit
>>
>>4111775
Git gud.
>>
>>4112046
what's the point? waku waku 7 has no competitive merit
>>
>>4112051
how's living with retardation?
>>
>>4112062
how's dealing with the fact you play a weeb game with no community? enjoying your no people?
>>
>>4112067
I'm not even talking about you not liking waku waku 7 (who the fuck even cares)
you don't even know why you're being retarded right now.
>>
>>4112070
Git gud.
>>
>>4112051
>fighting games are trash
Git.
Gud.
>>
>>4112067
and just out of curiosity: why are you so invested in derailling a thread with stupid comments about fighting games and waku waku 7 when that was never even the subject of discussion?
>>
>>4112078
Keep playing you are homersexual weeb games, weeb.
>>
>>4112085
you do realize there's multiple people commenting right
>>
>>4112087
I wouldn't mess with that guy if I were you, it's the EPIC 4CHAN TROLLER
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.