[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did SNK think the NEO GEO CD loading times were acceptable?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: Neo-Geo-CD-TL-FL---.jpg (2MB, 4590x3060px) Image search: [Google]
Neo-Geo-CD-TL-FL---.jpg
2MB, 4590x3060px
Why did SNK think the NEO GEO CD loading times were acceptable?

I mean sure ok Magician Lord,ViewPoint,Mutation Nation etc have a huge initial load then after that it is completely fine. But KoF 94 which was released one month after the japanese launch already showed that even in the short term this simply would not hold up.
>>
File: Neo-Geo-CD-Power-Supply-JP.jpg (103KB, 1280x771px) Image search: [Google]
Neo-Geo-CD-Power-Supply-JP.jpg
103KB, 1280x771px
Also fuck them for choosing a proprietary power supply plug.
>>
>>4110997
maybe they wanted to save on the license fee? using a sony plug probably would add a dollar per unit
>>
File: 1392188820939.gif (1MB, 478x360px) Image search: [Google]
1392188820939.gif
1MB, 478x360px
>>4110997
>100V
>>
I wonder if somebody played the NEO GEO CD so much that somehow that stupid monkey got burned in on the screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u-tp2f_Pt8
>>
>>4110994
Wasn't it simply the case that only single speed CD drives were available at the time? It's hardly SNK's fault.

Fuck me, you guys have short memories. ZX Spectrum and C64 games would take 5 to 10 fucking minutes to load, then you'd have to separately load levels as you beat them. Only to have to reload the game when you died and went back to lv1.

Instant console loading got you all over entitled.
>>
>>4111227
>would take 5 to 10 fucking minutes to load

If you were lucky and it didn't decide to just not work because the volume was too high, the tape was faulty, the Moon was in the sixth house of Jupiter or you were trying to load the tape on a day of the week that had the letter D in it.
>>
NGCD was intended as the "budget" alternative to a regular AES, the combination of a cheap CD drive and a paltry amount of RAM (still a lot more expensive then than now) left them without much choice when it came to handling load times

The regular NeoGeo also has not that much RAM but was able to deal because the cartridge read times were very fast for the time (fast enough that it was acceptable to load an asset, use it once, throw it away then load it again almost immediately), no such luxury with a CD drive
>>
File: 1354-2.jpg (233KB, 996x737px) Image search: [Google]
1354-2.jpg
233KB, 996x737px
Would a NEO GEO CD version even be possible?
>>
>>4111227
Why were the CD games so large? A Neo Geo game was like 8-64 MB which shouldn't take too long to load even at 150 KB/sec.
>>
>not getting a CDX for NGCD games
>>
>>4110994
Same reason they thought $500 for a cart was acceptable

>>4111282
>i can't into math
>>
>>4110994
It just played neogeo games, I don't know if it even has exclusives.

I believe the samurai showdown RPG it's for that console.
>>
>>4112646
That, Ironclad and Crossed Swords 2 are exclusive to NGCD
>>
>>4113841
Not anymore though somebody uncovered the MVS prototypes.
>>
>>4113841
They were hacked to work on Neo Geo and are now supported on Mame, unfortunately Crossed Swords 2 uses the music from the first game since the sequenced midi data was lost forever.
>>
>>4113841
I fucking love those two games so much, it's among the best Arcade titles ever. Their only flaw is being a bit too long for an arcade game. Such a crime they remained slow NGCD exclusive for so long.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA-Iu1ebCG0
https://youtu.be/c7lfZowlD_A
>>
>>4111282
You don't load the whole game into memory all at once, anon. Let's say the Neo Geo had 4MB of video memory (I don't remember the actual number). You could only load 4MB of sprites/backgrounds at once. Because all sprites/backgrounds are bigger than 4MB, you had to choose which ones you loaded (which is invariably only the one you're going to use).
>>
>>4113923
>Because all sprites/backgrounds are bigger than 4MB
I meant all the sprites of the game together.
>>
That weird sound the optical drive does when it starts loading a new stage and the screen just abruptly goes black until that stupid grenade juggling monkey shows up. Scared the shit out of me the first time
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.