[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1J UbCoLKxs LCD btfo

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

File: maxresdefault.jpg (88KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
88KB, 1280x720px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1JUbCoLKxs

LCD btfo
>>
I can't tell the difference?
>>
File: 1.jpg (46KB, 642x365px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
46KB, 642x365px
>>4108793
pause it and you'll notice that hdtv lags behind
>>
>>4108814
Seems very miniscule.
>>
>>4108669 (OP)
HDTVs vary quite a bit in response time. 2ms to 20ms+. One needs to do research before buying so they don't get a slow monitor.
>>
>>4108848

The video doesn't really do playing a game like Parappa justice, as the miniscule difference you see is the difference between missing and hitting a note. OP's monitor is actually performing better than most though, I've seen worse - even the PSP version has the same thing because they didn't bother to adapt the timing.

Retro rhythm games and CRT's are an essential combo though, I don't think there's any genre that needs one more. Bust a Groove suffers even worse than Parappa because it has no scrolling bar.
>>
>>4108669
>>4108814
With a decent LCD and a Framemeister (or even better, the completely lagless OSSC) the lag would be completely unnoticeable. Part of the issue is that most modern LCDTVs initially convert a 240p source to 480i and most TVs aren't efficient in then upscaling the interlaced image to 1080p.

The Framemeister does the work far more efficiently but still gives 1.5 frames (0.025s) of lag. My Sony TV has 0.014s of lag so in combination with the Framemeister this is 0.039s of lag which is fine for all but the most timing-sensitive games and completely unnoticeable unless you are superhuman. For example in Super Mario World you can press the jump button and the pause button at the same time and whilst paused Mario has already started his jump animation.
>>
>>4108669
didnt you already post this LAST week?
Make a different thread you fag.
>>
>>4108865
>For example in Super Mario World you can press the jump button and the pause button at the same time and whilst paused Mario has already started his jump animation.

This would happen on any tv, it's not an indicator of latency
>>
>>4108968
Good point, I'm an idiot.
>>
>>4108848
It is and easy to adapt to unless you're a huge autist which is unfortunately what /vr/ is filled of.
>>
>>4108848
>Parappa

That game is unforgiving when it comes to timing. LCD is no good for that game.

Generally I'm okay with LCD otherwise, whatever.

Though guy in OP video should just set that LCD to 4:3 dipshit.
>>
We've been over this before.
>4:3 image stretched to 16:9 display
Opinion Discarded. Stop shilling your video
>>
playing classic games on an HDTV isnt just ugly, it FUCKING lags. The TV has to upscale and therefore lags like shit in the process. Even playing games in native res on HDTV lags because HDTV's fucking lag. Add your out of the box playstation lag feature and you are all set. HDTV's werent made for gaming, they were made for watching TV. Same as playstations werent made for gaming, they were made to make sony richer.
>>
>>4109551
>Damage controlling inferior technology
I fucking hate you millennials
You're the reason we can't have nice things
>>
>>4108865
>My Sony TV has 0.014s
Let me guess? Bravia KDL-42W705?
>>
>>4110675
Even for watching TV modern TV's suck

>Horrible motion blur due to sample-and-hold because people complain about "muh flicker"
>Terrible blacks(unless you're rich and can afford an OLED but then you're stuck with burn-in)
>Depending on the TV it takes time to turn on/switch channel(CRT's were practically instantaneous)
>Shit sound so you have to buy external speakers
>Most channels are in SD and the ones that are in HD are mostly 720p/1080i and not 1080p definitely not 4K so you're getting a sub-optimal piece of shit image quality

Fixed-pixel display technology is truly the greatest technological scam of the 21st century
>>
>>4108669
>stretched to 16:9
If you have the opportunity, you should kill yourself.
>>
>>4110819
>Terrible blacks
Aw, come on. The Wire was pretty good.
>>
>>4110815
they are the CANCERRRRR that kills this board
>>
>>4110817
Most 2010+ Sony 1080p tvs have that low in game mode. As do Samsung UHD from 2014+.
>>
>>4108669

Now is probably the last opportunity and of us will have to grab some late-model EDTV CRTs before they're all gone.

If you're looking for a more general purpose display, Samsung 720p Plasma displays from 2013 and 2014 (especially the F4500) are super low latency, and have pretty decent scalers, owing to the fact that they recognize 240p as a non-interlaced mode.

But both technologies are dead now. No new CRT, no new Plasmas. All we're left with are horrible LCDs, and the hope that OLED TVs will have fixed their shitty motion in a few years.
>>
>>4108848
See what I mean dude? Just look at this autist getting super hostile over the mere idea of quickly adapting to something slightly different >>4110815
>>
File: 1499701914806.gif (449KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1499701914806.gif
449KB, 500x281px
>>4111676
>he thinks we can "quickly adapt" to the point of accurately predicting the future

How often do you win the lotto anon?
>>
>>4111631
hah.
I saw this coming years ago and I got my 2002 manufactured PVM in 2008, and got a nice Panasonic plasma with only 2ms of lag that recognizes 240p (and can take scart via VGA!)
>>
File: IMAG0504.jpg (2MB, 2048x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0504.jpg
2MB, 2048x1520px
>>4111703
>scart
You mean RGBS right?

My 2008 Kuro takes SCART directly and does a very nice job of displaying it too (~1.5 frames of lag)
>>
>>4109551
>calling people with standards autistic
Conforming to shit for the sake of convenience is why video games are dying. Make technology work for you, not the other way around.
>>
>>4110819
>Most channels are in SD and the ones that are in HD are mostly 720p/1080i and not 1080p
Properly deinterlaced 1080i is virtually indistinguishable from 1080p.
>>
just use game mode
>>
>>4110819

Plasmas were amazing in their day. Fixed pixel isn't a problem outside of the retro gaming space; the problem is that LCD is a shitty technology for anything involving motion.

The death of CRTs was understandable, since they were heavy and power hungry. The death of plasma is a tragedy, especially since the displays Samsung was releasing in 2013/14 were almost as light as LCDs, and way cheaper.
>>
>>4109551
>It is and easy to adapt to
It's actually probably the reason rhythm games died out. I remember even as a kid wondering why Rock Band felt laggy, I had to calibrate it for it to be playable on an LCD.
>>
why are these videos always with shitty hd screens.

I'm sure a proper setup with something like a benq 144hz monitor would fare a lot better.

It's why old quake pros hung onto their CRT's basically until 120hz+ monitors became commonplace.

I'd argue that aside from brightness as strobed 144hz looks clearer and feels more responsive than 95% of all CRTs.
>>
File: 1499024063937.jpg (1MB, 4272x2856px) Image search: [Google]
1499024063937.jpg
1MB, 4272x2856px
>>4112606
144hz strobing works well with analogue inputs @240p/60hz these days?

Brb junking my crts.
>>
>>4108669

Regardless of screen, he sucks at that game.

CRT isn't going to save you from being a sloth.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.