[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

holy shit, I just tried MAME and I can't believe how fucking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

File: logo-mame.png (112KB, 760x262px) Image search: [Google]
logo-mame.png
112KB, 760x262px
holy shit, I just tried MAME and I can't believe how fucking terrible the UX is.
they've been working so long on this piece of software and it's absolutely terrible to use.
garbage.
>>
>>4108404
>he doesn't still use mame32
you deserve it
>>
I like it, keeps millennials out.
>>
File: mamesite.png (383KB, 1600x758px) Image search: [Google]
mamesite.png
383KB, 1600x758px
>>4108404
they put more work into their site than into their product.
>>
File: 349978-mameui.png (189KB, 1337x1034px) Image search: [Google]
349978-mameui.png
189KB, 1337x1034px
>>4108416
ui wise*
>>
>>4108404
It's perfectly functional. You're a rube.
>>
>>4108537
lol, you're calling me a rube while your comment is fucking retarded.
yes, it's functional but I never said otherwise.
look up the meaning of UX and functional and you'll realize how stupid your comment is.
>>
>>4108404
>mame looks shit
This complaint is so old it's literally /vr/ appropriate
>>
>emulating games
>not collecting arcade cabinets to game on original circuit board hardware

Fuckin blebs
>>
>>4108545
it's so painfully obvious that you're still at college.
>>
>>4108643
well 4chan does mostly consist of 20-something people so that's a really easy guess to make sherlock.
it's so painfully obvious you feel incredibly smug.
too bad everything you have said has been either dumb or empty.
>>
>emulating games
>Not collecting 500LB original arcade cabinets
>Not filling your entire house with arcade units
>Not having an electric bill so high you bankrupt yourself by leaving everything plugged in all the time
>Not starting a massive fire in your neighborhood solely because of your affinity for gaming

Why even live?
>>
File: MAMEUI.png (101KB, 1440x876px) Image search: [Google]
MAMEUI.png
101KB, 1440x876px
>>4108404
http://www.mameui.info/
>>
Plebeian detected
>>
MAME is still command line, right?
>>
>>4108659
you could lurk forever and we'd never let you in the secret club
>>
>>4109759
>we
>>
>>4109629
that reminds me that I need to convert their INI file to the new format so it retains all my play stats.

I'm still back on 0.141 because of that.

But from what I heard they never really improved on anything interesting, other than dumping some more old "lost" games. STV still broken ("working" but with most video effects missing), Zeus still broken, NG64 still broken, model 2 still broken (and so is model 1 to a degree)...
>>
>>4109658
fuck you
>>
>>4108406
basically this -- for the vast majority of people, there's no reason to download MAME right from the site, get a fork with a file browser

but yeah, the internal MAME game browser is trash
it's gotten better than it used to be although it still complains about missing files for a lot of sets... even though the game boots and doesn't complain at all if you ran it directly from the command line, no "the game might not run correctly" message or whatever shows up
I ended up just making batch files for every game I played and copy/pasting them. I don't do the whole "download every game" thing because fuck that noise, disk is cheap but a mame fullset is still pretty damn big and full of shit I'm not going to play/runs like shit.
too lazy to update romsets regularly too, so I just have like five different versions of MAME

editing shit like inputs and the lot is tolerable though, no real issues there
>>
>>4109785
the only reason to bother with MAME's ST-V emulation is if you really, really, really want to play Radiant Silvergun on a toaster (0.128 had it at almost playable speed on a PIII laptop from 2001 and playable with a fair bit of frameskip on a P4 laptop from 2003, had no frameskip on a 2009 laptop), 0.129 made everything extremely slow, probably because something important got emulated

IIRC, HNG64 actually did get some major updates, but it's still broken.
it's still retarded that Model 2 doesn't work to this day
people stopped caring because of that dedicated Model 2 emulator though

there are some pretty hilarious things that work and shouldn't
like, there are several NAOMI games that are playable... at like 10-20fps at best
had the awful idea to try it out on a netbook for kicks, it took like an hour to play through the first stage of Ikaruga, game ran at like 1-2fps
>>
> Deliberately create commandline based emulator so that unimportant fluff like the UI can be farmed out to easily developed front ends
> Concentrate on creating unprecedented list of supported games
> Idiot users still just use dogshit like NeoRageX because they are too stupid to set up a front end and don't value accurate emulation anyway
>>
>>4109908
>the only reason to bother with MAME's ST-V emulation is if you really, really, really want to play Radiant Silvergun
Doesn't work either, MAME running Radiant Silvergun crashes at stage 3.
>>
>>4110080
did you not read the post, specifically where I mention version 0.128
is there a reason people on /vr/ seem incapable of reading posts and just start typing shit before they've reached the end

I've played it to completion (admittedly, feeding credits, did both the stage 2 and stage 4 paths) several times before in it.
Only crash I've had was it acting up after entering the operator menu.
Later MAME versions have speed issues and probable regressions.

all that being said, this day and age, there's no real reason to bother with it (0.128 is ancient as hell, I did this nearly a decade ago), just use SSF (which ran too badly on my machine back then)
>>
>all these people can't handle the UI
>all these people can't get their ROMs properly compliant with the version of MAME they are using, despite multiple programs designed to do just that
>all these people with BIOS files and barcade shit in their ROM lists
Jesus christ how horrifying.
>>
>>4110434
I totally misread that, thought you were only talking about the speed. Sorry.
>>
>mfw trying out the latest mame after they switched to the new UI
>after exiting the program it shoved all my desktop icons onto my secondary monitor
Guess I'll stick with third party frontends for now on.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.