[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how tf did they fit NES games on a playing card and why didnt

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

File: Reader.jpg (56KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
Reader.jpg
56KB, 500x375px
how tf did they fit NES games on a playing card and why didnt they use this tech more?
>>
File: Z0048586.jpg (78KB, 1024x611px) Image search: [Google]
Z0048586.jpg
78KB, 1024x611px
>>
>>4108348
your image alone is the size of an NES game. that being said, notice that all the games are really simple, no SMB3. That means they were prolly pushing the memory density of the magnetic tape.

shit was gimmicky as hell
>>
>>4108354
Not to mention barely fucking worked half the time
>>
Could be the card just held enough to say "load this game from the cartridge".
>>
>>4108348
>how tf did they fit NES games on a playing card
Because early NES games like that used very little memory - perhaps just a megabyte or so. It was chump change by the time the GBA came around.
>>
>>4108354
It wasn't magnetic tape. It was a dot pattern read by a light.
>>
>>4108364
>>4108357
>>4108354
>>4108358

You fucking people have no idea what you're talking about. Each card had multiple strips of a dot pattern made up of black and white, representing 1s and 0s in binary. You were literally loading the code into it by scanning the cards. And all of these games are 25KB each, not a fucking megabyte, you idiot.
>>
>>4108374
Whoa, you showed us you can use Wikipedia. Congrats, nerd.
>>
File: dot-code block.jpg (175KB, 994x865px) Image search: [Google]
dot-code block.jpg
175KB, 994x865px
Like this. There would be about 50 on these per card, with up to 5 cards required to play. Even then, all the games released for it were tiny in terms of file size - you would have needed an entire deck to play Kirby's Adventure.
>>
>>4108374
I'm >>4108358 and I don't think my guess ("could be") makes me an idiot. It makes sense, have the actual games on the cartridge and then all the card reader has to see is a header of some sort saying which game to load.
>>
>>4108378
No, I just actually owned one and all the games. I also have the games on my computer (as well as know the general size of an NES game isn't a fucking megabyte).
>>
>>4108374
oh, so it was a shitty QR reader
>>
>>4108383
What happens when you want to make more games?
>>
>>4108385
>56kB = 1MB
ok
>>
>>4108387
Fair point, though I'd assume Nintendo would have thought ahead and put the ROMs for unreleased cards on there had they done it that way. If they want to add another one later, welp.
>>
File: 1251912564860.jpg (89KB, 502x514px) Image search: [Google]
1251912564860.jpg
89KB, 502x514px
>>4108390
>>
1.) You needed two GBA's for it to be useful
2.) They could only really do the EARLY early NES games because it would take quite a few cards to do something like Zelda or Mario 3, since it took 5 cards for something like Donkey Kong and Ice Climbers.
>>
>>4108348
>how tf did they fit NES games on a playing card and why didnt they use this tech more?
If you ever used this, you would know why they don't use this tech that much. Donkey Kong Junior was on many cards, and you had to scan both sides of each card just to play the damn game, that should tell you why this wasn't used that much.

That said, Mario Advance 4: SMB3 was the shit with this technology and I have a bunch of cards for it, even had the Feather until I some how missplaced it.
>>
>>4108374
>implying summerfags are people
>>
File: 1274011951367.jpg (89KB, 600x677px) Image search: [Google]
1274011951367.jpg
89KB, 600x677px
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.