[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I went into Brandish 2 expecting a disorienting mess, and I ended

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6

File: 381snes_-_brandish_2.jpg (187KB, 985x1291px) Image search: [Google]
381snes_-_brandish_2.jpg
187KB, 985x1291px
I went into Brandish 2 expecting a disorienting mess, and I ended up getting a fantastic dungeon crawler that I can't put down, the camera shifting isn't nearly as bad as I expected it to be. Just got into the first town, I'm playing the snes version and I'm playing 2 first for the on-screen automap.

Brandish/classic Falcom thread?
>>
Ys is great.
>>
>>4104428
Yeah, I absolutely loved the first one after a bit of trial and error figuring things out. I started the sequel, but got sidetracked by some real life shit. It's at the top of my to-do list though.

Does anyone have a link to that one guy's youtube channel with all the PC-98 versions of the music tracks? As much as I love the SNES OST, the PC-98 ones were way better. I can't seem to find it though... I think his name was J-something..?
>>
>>4104578
The classic Ys games are the definition of a polished turd.
>>
>>4105760
Just wondering but what is considerd classic Ys?
>>
For a few years they thought to be lost forever, but someone actually found the translation-patch team's trailers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN82Z6R1huw&index=3&list=FL_J0HFp7gNMidiQpaZ_Axrg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5GTKe1FZ5I

...jesus christ, they're even more obnoxious than I remembered.
>>
>>4105797
Haha, nfb is too good. It still cracks me up, but the other one is bleh.
>>
>>4105021
>Does anyone have a link to that one guy's youtube channel with all the PC-98 versions of the music tracks?
Here you go.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIXlqAcyTbg
>>
>>4105797
That first one is kino desu
>>
still waiting for a decensored hack
>>
>>4104428
Is Brandish Dark Revenant is a classic Falcom? Because it's just Brandish 1, but in 3D, with smoother movement. You can even switch to original PC-98 music, just like in Ys Chronicles.
>>
>>4105760
Fuck off. It's good for what it is, and the bump system is fun.
>>
>>4106763
It can be discussed here thanks to that loophole that allow ports and remakes.
>>
>>4106658
>Falcom Music Channel
Is it official? Or is it an extremely dedicated fan? He has everything on his channel, literally every rendition of every Falcom song.
>>
File: Screenshot_1.jpg (10KB, 816x49px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_1.jpg
10KB, 816x49px
>>4106658
>>4106772
Disregard this, I'm a fucking idiot.
>>
>>4106772
Wait a sec, I'm reporting the songs for copyright infringement to check if he's official.
>>
>>4106775
Falcom actually has a free use policy for their music. As long as you aren't selling it/making it part of a paid game, you can use their music as freely as you want. Because Falcom are cool guys like that.
http://andriasang.com/com8an/falcom_free_music/
So if you actually did that they wouldn't get flagged for copyright anyway.
>>
>>4106802
Let's check that out.
>>
>>4104428
>prices scale with your level
>monsters don't respawn after certain number of them killed
Just why? Who thought this was a good idea? Xanadu may've been a 9/10 dungeon crawler if not for those retarded features. It's sure fun to be irrevertably stuck if you levelled up in the wrong time.
>>
File: 64321659.jpg (112KB, 573x572px) Image search: [Google]
64321659.jpg
112KB, 573x572px
>>4106831
God forbid an Jerperguer has actual resource management! Every game must hold me by the hand and prevent my poor decisions from fucking myself in the ass!
>>
Hi guys, I can't seem to find a translated rom to play it? I was reading on the wikipedia page that the SNES USA version has a lot of edits/censors.

Also, is the PC-98 version of 1 and 2 the versions to play? or is SNES (JA) version the de-facto superior version
>>
>>4106868
>Also, is the PC-98 version of 1 and 2 the versions to play
If you can deal with really confusing turning, then you should play those.
>>
>>4106872
Thanks.

Also found out how to apply translation patch.

Jun Suemi is a great artist
>>
>>4104428
How does 2 compare to 1? I was 'meh' about 1.
>>
File: Br4.jpg (316KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Br4.jpg
316KB, 800x600px
Sooooo.....

....how many dead translation projects does this have under it's belt now? 4? 5?

>>4106967

2 is better than 1 in almost every aspect (just not by a large margin).
>>
>>4105760
Didn't think Felghanafags browse /vr/
>>
>>4106658
Awesome, thank you!

Also, in as much as I can tell, the PC-98 versions of these tracks seem identical to the FM Towns versions. Or am I misunderstanding?
>>
>>4107431
I don't recall Brandish 2 being on FM Towns, butin the case of Brandish 1 there's a lot more going on in the PC-98 music than in the FM Towns music, simply because the YM2612 is pretty much the 2608 without all the extras.
>>
>>4107431
>>4107484
Here's a good example
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diWq4Kd-3DA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKua3HGw77s

Though if you really want to examine the differences get Hoot and play the Brandish Renewal ost on it.
>>
>>4107484
Why didn't they use CDs?
>>
>>4107492
Playing music through the sound chip takes up a lot less space than recordings. I'm guessing that was the reason.
>>
>>4107484
>>4107490
Ah, now I understand. It was the Renewal version I was searching for, but it was in the same playlist as the FM Towns, but further down the list. The Renewal versions of Bleak Horizon and Within the Mighty Dragon are amazing! Thanks again.
>>
>>4107494
But a CD would be cheaper and more convenient to use than 3 floppies.
I don't really see a reason to go floppy on the Towns unless you're a tiny studio with no access to CD presses.
>>
>>4107504
No idea, only Falcom themselves can answer that.
>>4107501
No problem, also
>Bleak Horizon
>Within the Mighty Dragon
Who named these? I've always known them as Cave and Fortress.
>>
>>4107504
Brandish 1 and 2 were 1991 and 1993, I don't know how ubiquitous CD drives were in the Japanese home computer market at the time, but perhaps they were using floppy discs because the majority of people were still primarily using those.
>>
>>4107983
The FM Towns had a CD drive by default. It was possibly the first system to do so.
>>
>>4108435
It was also a PC-98 release so maybe they just decided to split the difference rather than potentially lose a bunch of customers.

I could ask the question of whether or not it would've made sense to have both a CD and floppy release, but I know jack shit about the PC market of the time.
>>
File: 1394909873267.jpg (159KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1394909873267.jpg
159KB, 720x960px
>>4108464
I've seen CD games with binaries for FM Towns and PC-9821 (and DOS/V) but never on floppy games.
If you look at the box you'll see it's clearly marked as FM Towns specific.
>>
File: Brandish_02.jpg (547KB, 2960x2000px) Image search: [Google]
Brandish_02.jpg
547KB, 2960x2000px
>>4108474
>>
I never played brandish 3 or 4, am I missing out on anything? I assume PC-98 is the way to go for 3?

And for that matter, can brandish 4 really be considered a brandish game? I mean it's isometric and doesn't seem to tie in with any of the previous games. I mean, do Ares and Dela make a cameo appearance? Are there references to the planet buster? Is there something I'm missing, or is 4 brandish in name only?

...but then again, I'm going from bits and pieces I've learned. Like I said, I haven't played 4 yet. If I'm wrong, by all means I'd like someone to tell me.
>>
Anyone try out the psp ports? I was curious to try it out before trying out the snes one
>>
>>4107089
That game art is very pretty
>>
>>4108519
Brandish 1 is mostly the same game but in 3d plus some extra content, which makes it a bit more accessible since the camera movement is now smooth. Other than that the gameplay is pretty much the same so it's up to preference.

Don't play the SNES version of 1, the lack of on-screen automap will drive you crazy. Play the PC-98 version or just play Brandish 2 if you want a SNES version.
>>
So is there any way to legitimately get past the 4 Headless in the Tower without having found the Warp spell early in Ruins? I recall jumping in place for a while, but that obviously didn't go well... I guess the Dark Helm (Shield? I don't remember now.) is something you're supposed to return for later?
>>
>>4108989
They're supposed to all punch you at the exact same time, so a well-timed jump in place is (supposedly) able to negate them. Thing is, the punches almost always get de-synced, so it's practically impossible to pull off.
>>
Honestly if you weren't able to kill a headless by the 4th jump and skedaddle out of there, you were probably a bit under-leveled. That being said, it is a fight worth using a good breakable sword....at least to kill the first one.

But yeah, that fight is prettymuch bullshit. There's a reason why about a decade ago the Headless theme (or a DDR remix of it anyways) was basically the trolling themesong for Japan. It was basically their rickroll.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.