[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Neo Geo Pocket Color has the best library of cancelled

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 17

File: ngpc.jpg (388KB, 735x1171px) Image search: [Google]
ngpc.jpg
388KB, 735x1171px
The Neo Geo Pocket Color has the best library of cancelled games of all time.
>>
>>4100540
>metal slug 3rd
FUCK

why did sega and snk have to crash?
>>
File: magician-lord-2-ngp-000004[1].jpg (63KB, 768x509px) Image search: [Google]
magician-lord-2-ngp-000004[1].jpg
63KB, 768x509px
>>4100556
Chu Chu Rocket, Windjammers, Popolocrois, Sakura Taisen, IQ, Arc the Lad, and Magician Lord hurt so much. And so many of them sound interesting but have no information online whatsoever.

One step further, this list doesn't even include all of the cancelled English localizations as SNK sunk. We were supposed to get all sorts of stuff.

I just got into this system recently, but I think it might already be my favorite handheld of all time. It's really perfect. The buttons and the stick feel so good, the screen is just beautiful, it's extremely powerful, and it seems like everything on it is super high quality.

Hell, the strip mahjong game on it has higher production values than most GBA games.
>>
File: Quality_Seal_of_Approval.jpg (3MB, 2304x1728px) Image search: [Google]
Quality_Seal_of_Approval.jpg
3MB, 2304x1728px
I do love this system. In those days, all my friends got the system and everyone loved it. It was a shame I couldn't afford to get one myself, but I am thankful one gave me this last year. It was a wonderful time for games, we'd gather every 2 weeks, show off our newest stuff from SFC, PS, SS, N64, DC, and PC while those who were not on the multiplayer games on the TVs were either playing the NGPC or Magic: The Gathering. Shame once SNK got bought by Aruze they cancelled all NGPC projects. I guess it was too much to hope for a long life like the NeoGeo AES.

I wish I can afford the games for this system. I missed out on that flash cart everyone else got for the NGPC. I still think even though I signed up for the e-mails, I have a suspicion my one ticket for the flash cart probably got ignored from someone else to get it.
>>
>>4100561
I forgot to mention that the battery lasts FORTY HOURS.
>>
>>4100568
>Super Real Mahjong
This game is awesome.
>>
The hardware is brilliant. The library is big enough to play seriously and you know everybody else is playing the same games (haven't picked up Neo Pocket-Kun yet though)

This is the first I'm hearing there was a Magician Lord in the chute and it makes me a little sick we missed it tbqhpham
>>
>>4100579
A prototype of it exists.

http://www.retrocollect.com/News/unreleased-magician-lord-2-neo-geo-pocket-color-prototype-discovered.html
>>
It's definitely in the top 5 handhelds of all time, along with the Game Gear, GBA, PSP, and Lynx.
>>
>>4100584
I'm having trouble finding a link to the ROM, though. If anybody can help me find it, I would be extremely grateful.
>>
>>4100579
Ganbare Neo Poke Kun is awesome. As a game developer it is strangely relatable and touching.
>>
>>4100574
I kinda had to get it because it is cheap and it's like a tradition. I am still trying to hunt down the P's Club mail order only editions of the Saturn games.

>>4100584
>>4100587
Me too, I want. Loved the original AES/MVS game. Now I really need the NGPC flash cart.
>>
File: nigeronpa-03[1].gif (5KB, 160x152px) Image search: [Google]
nigeronpa-03[1].gif
5KB, 160x152px
Also, has anyone here played Nigeronpa?

I bought a copy kind of on a whim, but it sounds super fascinating. On the back of the box it labels itself a "逃げられるRPG."
>>
>>4100629
>cheap
Was it cheap when you bought it? I can't find it below $70.
>>
>>4100568
Is the Ogre Battle gud?
>>
>>4100629
Is this the only strip mahjong game on the system?
>>
File: Warsong_Gulch_was_a_nice_CTF_map.jpg (820KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
Warsong_Gulch_was_a_nice_CTF_map.jpg
820KB, 2592x1944px
>>4100724
As you can see, it is cart only, so it was not expensive in Japan. I think it cost me under 1000 JPY. I also cannot find my PV for Saturn (non- P's Club version). I see there was a 3D0 release of the series too, but I do not have a 3D0.

>>4100749
I will be honest, as I only played the Saturn release of that series. I have not gotten to the N64 nor NGPC release yet. Remember, I only got the system last year (with only the SVC Millennium and Card games).

>>4100908
For pure mahjong games, I think there's Wherever Mahjong and Koi Koi Mahjong. The Super Real Mahjong on NGPC is closer to a yellow label game on Saturn, not quite red label, so you only get them to their skivvies unlike the earlier console and PC releases.
>>
File: SNK_love.jpg (747KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
SNK_love.jpg
747KB, 2592x1944px
I just checked the site to see I missed the initial shipments of the NeoGeo Pocket Flash cart but relieved to see that I didn't miss the e-mail or accidentally deleted it from the spam box. So I am glad there is a field to fill out to see where you stand in line for it.

It looks great!
https://youtu.be/XiMYWctK7LM
>>
>>4100540
If it hadn't been cancelled and had actually gotten all of those games, this could have been the best system ever made.
>>
>>4101297
>have not gotten to the N64 nor NGPC release yet.
You are missing out.
>The Super Real Mahjong on NGPC is closer to a yellow label game on Saturn, not quite red label, so you only get them to their skivvies unlike the earlier console and PC releases.
This is a rumor that seems to be floating around the internet. Perhaps these people don't know how to play Mahjong.

I haven't even beaten the game yet, and I've already seen bare breasts. Will the panties come off by the end? I've yet to find out.
>>
Has anyone ever had to replace the screen on their NGPC? How hard is it?
>>
>>4101394
In terms of design alone, I'm already convinced it's the greatest handheld ever made. And sure, the number of games may be small, but the quality of the games is amazing.
>>
Is Densha De Go 2 a good entry to the series?
>>
>>4100540
it also has arguably the best ratio of good to shit released games so I don't cry too much about it at night. It had intercourse with the DC. No wonder it failed.
>>
should I play the dreamcast version of Evolution or the NGPC ver?

And how are the other rpgs on the system?
>>
>>4102884
Yes. Either of the first two are like the "fundamental" games in the series. You might have a hard time figuring out how to play it though.
>>
File: check your keys.jpg (206KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
check your keys.jpg
206KB, 768x1024px
WHY DO YOU KEEP REMINDING ME ABOUT THIS? does my pain amuse you?

https://youtu.be/XEYkWjsIQ3k
>>
>>4104249
>somebody actually used it
As for the game, it's a shame it'll never get dumped. But what's there isn't exactly playable, either.
>>
>Playing NGP fighting games
>They feel like the real thing

How did they do it man.
>>
Serious question.

Is it within the realm of possibility to have a custom order of backlit LCD screens made specifically for the NGPC? All I really want is one, but I don't think anybody would custom manufacture a single LCD.

So as much as I hate the medium, maybe kickstarter would be the only way to reasonably get a large batch of these things made?

I just legitimately think a backlit NGPC would be the perfect handheld gaming system.

Alternatively maybe we could start a petition and get SNK to make some new backlit ones for the 20th anniversary in 2019.
>>
File: IMG_0041.jpg (46KB, 480x292px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0041.jpg
46KB, 480x292px
What's the coolest color of the ngpc? I really want this thing.
>>
>>4106027

You already posted it. Either clear, or carbon fiber.
>>
>>4100568
I'm #114 on that list. It'll be a while for all of us.
>>
>>4106027
I have this one. It's so comfortable
>>
File: hagrid.jpg (9KB, 70x78px) Image search: [Google]
hagrid.jpg
9KB, 70x78px
>Chu Chu Rocket
>NFL Blitz

Unironically kms
>>
Here's some more fun information. There was also a third-party game boy emulator in development for the ngpc that would allow you to actually plug gb/gbc games into an adaptor. This was also cancelled with SNK getting bought out.
>>
>>4106438
I could see Nintendo suing them like Sony did in the Bleem case. Even though Sony technically lost, they still bankrupted the Bleem devs to the ground by pushing constant lawsuits.
>>
File: IMG_0048.jpg (122KB, 500x316px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0048.jpg
122KB, 500x316px
Anybody pick this up yet? How is it?

http://skullgirls.com/2012/04/skullgals-coming-to-handheldgaming-systems-in-early-2013/
>>
>>4100540
>best library of cancelled games of all time

Devs probably only half heartedly agreed to develop for the NGP so they wouldn't be frozen out of the arcade market.
>>
>>4106736
>april first
Hurr
>>
What's the best emulator? I've tried NeoPop but I'm having music issues.
>>
>>4106806
I emulate it on mess out of habit. I don't know if it's the best, I don't care.
>>
>>4106741
Nah, everything got canceled at once after an evil company bought out snk and then refused to give them any money
>>
>>4106806
As far as I'm aware there still aren't any good emus for it. Everything I've tried sucks for sound emu.
>>
>>4106741
To be fair it also has one of the best libraries of released games on a handheld ever.
>>
File: 1517-2[1].jpg (423KB, 1000x657px) Image search: [Google]
1517-2[1].jpg
423KB, 1000x657px
What are the differences between Tsunagete Pon 1 and 2? Any reason to play the first one? How cute are the girls?
>>
>>4106741
nobody was really developing for the Neo Geo at that point
>>
>>4108317
If you like playing fighters by yourself, sure.
>>
>>4108457
Oh come on anon, if you just had an ngpc, maybe you could make some friends to play with, too.
>>
i have two NGPC, about 7 games but also i have a flash cart so i can flash any game rom i want and play it. fuckin awesome
>>
Best portable ever.
>>
File: 90785-Cool_Cool_Jam-1[1].png (8KB, 333x316px) Image search: [Google]
90785-Cool_Cool_Jam-1[1].png
8KB, 333x316px
Any thoughts on cool cool jam?

I'm curious about some of the japanese-only games on the system.
>>
>>4100540
mortal kombat for an SNK platform, thats obscene in unconscionable ways
>>
File: psp_ngpc.jpg (65KB, 400x471px) Image search: [Google]
psp_ngpc.jpg
65KB, 400x471px
>>4106054
Wro~ng. Japan had absolutely kickass choice of transparent colors.
>>
File: IMG_0080.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0080.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Holy shit, this really is the best system ever
>>
>>4111115
Translation: "I command you to look at my breasts!"
>>
>>4100712
>Nigeronpa
Niggeuropa? pol would love this
>>
>>4111337
>Assumed you were joking
>used my limited knowledge of Japanese to translate this
>Really is what she's saying.

My next question is...what breasts?
>>
>>4110839

We would have this in english right now if SNK didn't die. Here's the english E3 demo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8ObK8BE2JY
>>
>>4108324
The first one was designed for the original NGP so it likely looks better on that system than its sequel, but mechanically, it has different set of puzzles for the Clear game mode. The cards are used more in the sequel since you can gamble them, but the whole card system isn't worth much. Pick it up only if you love Puzzle Link's Clear mode or want more NGP games. I just got the NGP version complete for almost nothing.

>>4111479
At least this demo is included in most romsets so you get a little bit of the game in English.
>>
>>4104378
IIRC, there's a company that does custom hardware mods for gaming portables.
>>
how many people would be interested in a backlit system?
>>
>>4114703
Count me as one.
>>
>>4114703
A backlit version of this would be perfect.
>>
>>4100712
What is this about? Seems interesting but I can't find a single review or a decent description.
>>
>>4118238
It's a fucking JRPG. They're virtually all the same.
>>
File: IMG_0112.jpg (63KB, 520x292px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0112.jpg
63KB, 520x292px
>>4118238
It's actually really cool. The premise is that there's a huge number of collectable characters, both human/humanish and demon. However, they all have their own personality and their own little story, and if they get fed up with you, they just up and leave you forever. Your characters are generally overpowered, and fleeing from combat is an essential part of the game, hence "nigeronpa" (nigeru means to run away). There's also a calendar and a day and night system, and at certain times of day the world changes in various ways (coupled with some chill nighttime tunes).

It also has a really bizarre sense of humor that reminds me of something like Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure. The main characters tend to be super laid back, and very very girly about most things. I'm still not too far in, but so far there have been scenes like fighting a gang of literal street sharks, taking advantage of a principle who wants to quit his job, and getting to be the star model for an erotic manga.

It's a very unique game, and I'm interested in seeing how it progresses from here on out as well. It's had me laughing out loud on more than a few occasions.

Also I cannot find a single piece of fanart for this game, and that kills me.
>>
>>4120543
Not that guy, but thanks for the info and the pic.
>>
>>4120543
You're right, the game sounds cool as fuck. I hope it is not expensive ... but I am sure eBay would show otherwise.
>>
>>4122168
>>4122182
No prob! I'n really enjoying it so far, but I should also mention that this game is futile without a solid understanding of Japanese. There's lots of slang and weird accents about, so if you're still just beginning to learn, I'd unfortunatey have to recommend something else. It also tends to be quite expensive. The average price in Akiba is like 16000 yen/$160. So, I think you might have a hard time getting it for less than $100 on the internet.
>>
>>4122432
>$160

FFS.

Are NGPC games started to get expensive? Back in the day they were pretty cheap.
>>
>>4120543
This sounds incredible.
>>
>>4124260
I don't know when exactly it happened, but NGPC games seem to be getting really expensive lately, especially Japanese releases. Faseleil used to be like $70 for an english copy just back in 2010, and it's already up to $300 territory.

Lesser-known games aren't as bad just quite yet, and games that require even a little bit of japanese knowledge are thankfully still on the safer side.

But as time has proven again and again, collectors ruin everything.
>>
>>4126234
>Japanese releases
>english copy
ru confuse?
>>
>>4127012
Sorry, I changed the subject rather quicky from sentence one to sentence 2. Faselei is indeed expensive for an ENGLISH copy. Games like Metal Slug are more expensive in Japanese.
>>
>>4127025
Is MS really more expensive? Prices on ebay seem to be allover the place. I haven't checked the price anywhere else recently because I got all my NGPC shit long ago. I saw it CIB for ¥800 about a year go.
>>
>>4128315
You sure that wasn't 8,000 JPY? Because that's what it goes for now.
>>
I'll never get why people would want to play big, lush arcade games on a shitty little handheld with a cruddy little thumbstick.
>>
>>4128524
>8,000 JPY
Still not sure how you come up with your prices. One aspie overpays on ebay and that's what it "goes for" despite other BINs being a fraction of that?

>>4128528
>i have no knowledge and i must post
Cool story kid. Most of the "arcade games" only share a name with their arcade namesake. The thumbstick is fucking God tier.
>>
>>4128846
These prices are just what I see at the game stores in japan, CIB. I've done minimal research on YAJ and Amazon JP and the prices match up.
>>
>>4111115
What game is this?
>>
>>4100585
Lynx had a terrible library.
>>
>>4129117
Super Real Mahjong. I was pretty surprised to have a straight up ero game with nudity on the system. Great music and hilarious story, too. Legit 10/10
>>
>>4100585
>>4129120
Lynx was and still is garbage.
>>
>>4100585
Top 5 portable consoles ever are GB, GBC, GBA, DS, and NGPC, in whichever order you prefer.
>>
>>4120543
Now I really need to play this, thank you.
>>
>>4129140
>nudity on a handheld
Damn, younger me would have been blown away
>>
>>4128528
Most of the games are original entries with unique content, not simply ports that have been scaled down. They're all made from the ground up to work on the system, and that's why they turn out to so well in spite of the handheld format putting them at a disadvantage.

The Metal Slug games, for example are their own distinct thing with gameplay mechanics, levels and characters never seen in the arcade titles.
>>
>>4131604
Honestly I'm still blown away, and I just found the game last week. Something like this is far more impressive than the bullshit you get in say, God of War on the PSP.

I think the Japanese just understand something about eroticism the west doesn't.
>>
>>4124260
You can buy brand new copies of most NGPC games if you're not picky about having the box/manual (they were liquidated late in the system's life and sold in 4-packs, and sellers have either gotten a hold of tons of those 4-packs and split up the carts, or just tons of the carts unpackaged), but the ones that weren't liquidated can go for more money, and obscure Japanese games might fall into that category.
Thread posts: 90
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.