[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When exactly did you realize Saturn did lose against PS1, with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6

File: sega-saturn-3d-controller.jpg (2MB, 1940x2220px) Image search: [Google]
sega-saturn-3d-controller.jpg
2MB, 1940x2220px
When exactly did you realize Saturn did lose against PS1, with no hopes of coming back?
>>
>>4098479
E3 1995
>>
E3 95
>>
>>4098479
A dinner plate for a controller. Noice.
>>
>>4098491
compared to the n64 joystick that dies after 5 minutes of play, the analog parts on the saturn 3D controller use a hall effect sensor which means less moving parts and maximum durability.
>>
>>4098494
Was this the only pad to use such technology?
>>
At launch.
>>
>>4098504
yeah, dual shock just uses normal potentiometers.
>>
When I got into jrpgs. then I grew out of jrpgs and went back to Saturn.
>>
>>4098525
But Saturn had a lot of jrpg's, though admittedly most were in Japanese.
>>
>>4098529
Yeah, some really good ones too. I'd kill for a patched Grandia, even though it's pointless as fuck
>>
With normies that actually liked all the shovelware PS1 was offering? Right away. For me? Never. Saturn was so much better than PS1.
>>
I still have my Saturn; I ditched my PS1 as soon as the PS2 game out.

Holy shit, imagine a world where the Dreamcast was backwards compatible. (Are we in the Darkest Timeline?)
>>
>>4098479
nogaems
No Crash Bandicoot, Metal Gear Solid, Silent Hill, Gran Turismo or Spyro the Dragon. No real senic game.
>>
On release, when Saturn was fucking $400 in the 90s.

What the fuck was ANYONE thinking?
PS1 was $100 less.
How could they NOT win?
>>
File: Crash.jpg (53KB, 793x354px) Image search: [Google]
Crash.jpg
53KB, 793x354px
>>4098628
>No Crash Bandicoot
Bwahahahahahahaha!

>>4098479
I loved the Saturn but I knew it was doomed from the start.

Sony is a shit company with no real creative talent of their own. They've always prospered only when their competition screwed up. And boy, did both Nintendo and Sega screw up badly in that generation.
>>
>>4098638
>Bwahahahahahahaha!
Sweet arguments, lass. It was an insanely popular series.
>>
>>4098479
>When
1997 when they were selling it for 30 dollars and I didn't want one.
>>
File: chester.jpg (13KB, 232x250px) Image search: [Google]
chester.jpg
13KB, 232x250px
>>4098638
>the Simpsons invented radical animal characters
>muh pants
did you just forget that the 90s happened or something
>>
When I saw that the saturn has no games
>>
>>4098494
>>4098504
>>4098508
N64 joystick still has fewer deadzones than any any other console. The hall effect sensor and potentiometers can't match the accuracy of optical encoding disks.
>>
>>4098479
When it was announced. kek
>>
>>4098479
By the time I was even aware the Saturn existed it was already dead and the Dreamcast was coming out. Everyone I knew had the N64 and PS1, never met a soul who had a Saturn.

Saw way more Genesis systems than SNES, though.
>>
>>4098504
Dreamcast as well.
>>
>>4098479
>Final Fantasy VII

When it came out, I finally bought a 5th-gen console. I didn't get either a N64 or a Saturn until years later, but I also finally had to get the N64 when Ocarina of Time came out. Got the Saturn with an AR some years later to play some imports, but it hardly got used.
>>
>>4098679
Will you stop saying this shit every time someone mentions analog sticks? It isn't even true.
>>
>>4099319
It is true though. It's more accurate because the stick physically touches the sensor. Also the reason for its low durability.

Also the reason why Sin and Punishment controls like garbage on anything but the real N64 stick.
>>
>>4098479
when I realized it had NO GAMES
>>
>>4098657
>did you just forget that the 90s happened or something

Did you forget that the Simpsons started in the 80s or something?
>>
>>4098479
>When exactly did you realize Saturn did lose against PS1, with no hopes of coming back?

It lost?
>>
>>4098494
>>4098508
>>4098679
The N64 and all the Dual Shocks also had, you know, actual games that used the analog stick. The N64 stick didn't fell out after a game because it was worse quality, it broke because it had so many popular games that worked exclusively with the stick only, and it also had some titles that required you to waggle the stick like an epileptic. Meanwhile the Saturn barely even had games that used analog.

Saturn had maybe half dozen games where the analog controls actually helped (not counting racing games), and I'm being generous. Nights, Burning Rangers, Quake and Duke3d could use it to optionally do a modern control scheme (analog lookspring, buttons to move and strafe). Panzer Dragoon Saga could use the analog for walking in towns but it made zero difference gameplay wise. I don't recall much anything else. Soukygurentai used the analog for some reason but it actually made it worse.

Also, some games flat out refused to work with the analog pad plugged in, even if it was switched to digital mode.
>>
How many 5th gen shitposting threads are we going to have?
I guess it's a nice break from the usual SNES vs MD shitposting, but still.
>>
File: petergriffin.jpg (47KB, 650x400px) Image search: [Google]
petergriffin.jpg
47KB, 650x400px
>>4098479
2nd grade, childhood ruined, everyone had Mario 64, Pokemon stadium, I knew very few people with sony nigger trash consoles back then, i had a copy of Bug 2, and Impact Racing
>>
File: 057.png (879KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
057.png
879KB, 800x800px
>>4098638
>>4099840
>Crash Bandicoot
>September 9, 1996
>"The Itchy and Scratchy and Poochie Show" Episode
>February 9, 1997
Piss off back to /v/
>>
Unfortunately, the Saturn was NEVER outperforming the PS1, it's rather sad.
>>
i remember Saturn was hanging on in early 1997 and I was saving up money to buy one then one day all of a sudden the shops reduced the software to clearance prices and got rid of everything. Never has a chance to get one at the time.
>>
>>4098479
I never had such an epiphany because I never cared about the Saturn, nor gave it a second of thought.
>>
>>4098679
Okay now that's just pure bullshit.
>>
>>4098689
This. I think I saw an article about Nights in EGM but other than that I never knew anything about the Saturn or knew anybody with one.

I got the tiger handheld of nights and stuck with my snes until I got a ps1 in ~2000
>>
>>4099335
>It is true though. It's more accurate because the stick physically touches the sensor. Also the reason for its low durability.

No

The n64 uses the same sensors and shudder wheels used in old ball mice. The stick doesn't touch them directly, just the gears and a bowl at the bottom. It actually has good durability, they just didn't grease the sticks in manufacturing outside japan so those parts grind away. The sensors and the shudder wheels last forever.

I don't know if they are more accurate than potentiometers or hall whatever, but if they were good enough for ball mice no one can shit on them. It's also technically a digital stick and not an analog stick. Even if the resolution were low, it would be more honest and less fuzzy than analog technology.
>>
>>4098479
Playing Wipeout on Saturn, then the PS1 version and seeing for myself how much smoother PS1 was.
>>
>>4098479
didn't know it existed at the time
one of my brothers ended up getting an N64, other brother bought a PSone when that came out
it wasn't until like 1999 that I knew that the Saturn existed (mostly because of the oncoming Dreamcast actually), I lived in bum fuck nowhere and didn't get or read game mags

>>4102121
Wipeout on Saturn is worth playing, if only for the better handling and collisions, making it a much less annoying game.
...but the port honestly should have been a little better, they locked it at 20fps instead of 30.
>>
>>4098632
Except PS1 didn't come with a game or memory card, which at the time cost you about 100 bucks together anyway. Consumers are just fucking morons
>>
>>4098638
I wonder, if n64 wasn't delayed by 2 years how different that gen would have been
>>
when they stopped carrying any of the games at blockbuster
>>
>>4099862
pretty badly
like, for an English speaking player, there's about 90-100 or so releases of note (a little more or so if you include sports games), including imports (Gungriffon II, Bulk Slash, Keio 2 but that got a PAL release), and I'm including some relatively junk stuff in the list like Hang On GP, Ninpen Manmaru, and Cyber Speedway to boost it a bit, along with stuff that's better on PS1 anyway (like Croc, RayStorm, Tomb Raider, and Wipeout)
this is out of the around 1000 or so released Saturn titles (an absurd portion of which are like VNs and dating sims, and then there's like a dozen or so RPGs that probably should have been released in the west)

a hundred games of worth isn't terrible (heck, it's kind of hard for me to think of that many worthwhile games for some other machines, although that might just be sheer inexperience with the machine's library, like I couldn't give you 100 SNES or Genesis games)
but the PS1 has well over a hundred games of interest for someone who doesn't know how to read nip, and you don't need to scrape the bottom at all to reach that number (and man, is the bottom of the barrel of the PS1's library a fucking cesspool of shovelware), you're spoiled for choice on it

Saturn got bodied for having no games and costing more, and a decent handful of what was released in the west ended up being better on PS1 anyway.

>>4102230
fairly standard marketing tactic that Sony was able to capitalize on
>>
File: award_winning_rad.jpg (88KB, 620x880px) Image search: [Google]
award_winning_rad.jpg
88KB, 620x880px
>>4102230
>>4104234
>tfw beat rented Megaman 8 without a memory card
>>
>>4104368
had to do that with Ape Escape
>>
>>4104234
>pretty badly
If it lost then how come my Saturn sees more action than my PSX?

checkmate, atheists.
>>
Switching the US release months ahead of the schedule, screwing over customers, developers, and stores like Toys R' Us, and their E3 conference.
>>
>>4105009
depends on which games you feel like playing really, their libraries are fairly different
saturn is a lot more specialized in certain areas, while PS1 has a little of everything (except beat-em-ups)

at the moment, I'm playing Wipeout more on Saturn than PS1 entirely because the handling is better on Saturn despite the game looking and running a bit worse
probably should have got Megaman 8 on Saturn but oh well, I'm playing it on PS1
and Megaman X4 looks consistently nicer on PS1 despite the missing raster effects in a few spots

if you want anything approaching a 3D platformer, your options suck miserably on Saturn too (Bug? The fucking ninja penguin game? Croc, which is way better on PS1 anyway?)
if you like shmups... well, PS1 has better horis like G-Darius, Gradius Gaiden, and R-Type Delta but Saturn kills it for verts (DoDonPachi isn't great on either machine if you care about it)
2D fighting is better on Saturn, but 3D fighting is much better on PS1 unless you really, really, really like games modeled after Virtua Fighter.
Apart from Sega Rally, racing is painfully better on PS1. Daytona is okay here, but didn't get a great Saturn version.
Wing Arms sucks compared to the dozen or so 3D arcade flight games on PS1.
Bulk Slash is amazing, and the most comparable thing is like Omega Boost (which feels really different -- Armored Core is good too, but much less pick up and play, that plays more like Gungriffon).

>>4100646
It should have lost gracefully instead of being a literally fucking who.
Ordinary people from that time don't even remember that the PS1 even had a competitor until the N64 where I live and thought that Sega went from Genesis and then to the Dreamcast. It was that fucking bad.

Sega was coming with a strong position with solid western success (and trailing in Japan, but not to the point where people were like "what the fuck is a Mega Drive") and basically lost a leg at the starting line for no reason.
>>
>>4098504
Lots of modern flight sticks use hall effect joysticks.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.