[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What were they thinking of making HEAL the only healing consumable

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 7

File: 99 heals.png (73KB, 880x719px) Image search: [Google]
99 heals.png
73KB, 880x719px
What were they thinking of making HEAL the only healing consumable in-game? If only we could use cabins inside the dungeons...
>>
>>4095317
You want to make a piss easy game even easier? Jesus christ this place sometimes.
>>
>>4095324
This is not about making the game easy but faster. You have to agree NES version is as slow as you can ask for.
>>
learn to pick your fights inside dungeons you cock smoking mongoloid
>>
>>4095354
>What is monsters strike first
The game is rolling the dice against me, getting mages and hydras debilitating party members all the time before i can even act.
>>
>>4095351
If that's your attitude why would you play the game in the first place? Just so you can say you breezed through a bunch of dungeons and random encounters and it was better because it was faster?
>>
>>4095374
>why would you play the game in the first place?
because I've never played it before

>Just so you can say you breezed through a bunch of dungeons and random encounters and it was better because it was faster?
At least you're not disagreeing on the slow pace.
>>
>>4095414
I hate to break it to you but you're never going to play every game there is, even if you really dedicate yourself. It's your life, but I'd recommend not wasting your limited life minutes on ones you aren't enjoying enough that you want to rush through them.
>>
>>4095374
There's nothing wrong with wanting to streamline games. DQ used to make you open a menu and select stairs every time you wanted to go up or down a floor. That's just unnecessary tedium. Just like having to buy heals one at a time.
>>
>>4095430
there's a difference between streamlining and letting you use cabins in dungeons and negating the resource management aspect of the game
>>
>>4095434
I mentioned using cabin inside dungeons because theres not an alternative healing source to HEAL (ok, theres the spells but are very limited).

OP here anyway, just got that flying shit, explored a little and now I upgraded my classes. Game is super easy now.
>>
>>4095429
You're special. Don't believe what everyone else says.
>>
>What is resource management
>>
>>4095724
Resource management on FF1:

Spend 6k on Heals and spend it accordingly to economize on healing spells

Did you had a different experience? Did you actually got through without having to stock your inventory for every dungeon you had to dwelve into? Share it asshole.
>>
>>4095797
Use your spells, figure out different strategies, if you feel a constant need to grind there's probably something you should be doing better. I haven't played FF1 in ages but I managed to play through the "infamously masochistic" FF2 just fine, and most of the time when people have trouble with one of these games, it's because they're taking the most mouth breathing fucktarded approach possible.
>>
You know what, your attitude pisses me off so much I think i'm gonna pick it up and breeze through it just to spite you
>>
The only problem with heal potions is that you can only buy 1 at a time.

That's what's annoying.
>>
>>4095831
That makes sense. I literally grind to buy spells I barely use (occasionaly aoe spells were the shit but now I just leave the warrior and black belt do the job)

>>4095858
This so much

>>4095847
Do it I am gonna KILL YOU HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
>>
I'll just ask here I guess.

Fan of jrpgs but never liked the FF series. I thought of starting up FFI since I'm more of a third/fourth gen jrpg fan and thought maybe this one would be for me. What is the best version of FFI?
>>
>>4095990
the OG.
>>
>>4095990
There's two ways you can go:

-The Origins (PS1) or Wonderswan versions have the classic mechanics (Vancian magic/limited spell charges, optional re-targeting of dead targets), updated interface and are a decent challenge.

-The PSP version has the modern mechanics (MP instead of charges, forced re-targeting) and extra content but a noticeable lack of challenge.

You can also simply try the original NES version, but it's riddled with bugs and things that just plain don't work properly and the interface could be much better.
>>
>>4095990
I usually try not to play remakes but the PSX version of FF1 is so good i'm comfortable calling it the definitive version of the game. Tons of quality of life improvements without dumbing anything down. Steer clear from anything that changes the original casting system to traditional MP.
>>
>>4096025
This
Although I wouldn't recommend the WSC / GBA versions because the smaller screen makes dungeon navigation obnoxious
>>
File: Anime.300-1000.Between.0363.jpg (435KB, 2500x1838px) Image search: [Google]
Anime.300-1000.Between.0363.jpg
435KB, 2500x1838px
>>4095324
> literally have to grind out the ass to beat it
> slowest combat of any JRPG
> calls it easy
t. modern gamer
>>
File: Moebius Crystal.jpg (449KB, 736x1040px) Image search: [Google]
Moebius Crystal.jpg
449KB, 736x1040px
>>4096024
>>4096025
>>4096031
Thanks guys, I think I'll try the ps1 version. I have tried IV, VI, and VII and liked parts and aspects of them but couldn't finish any of them. Hopefully this more classic style will be the thing to finally make me a fan.
>>4096150
>moebius
A man of taste I see.
>>
File: 1423105304167.jpg (345KB, 1126x939px) Image search: [Google]
1423105304167.jpg
345KB, 1126x939px
>>4095429
>tfw mortal
>>
>>4096150
> literally have to grind out the ass to beat it
This has never been true in any game i've played that was described as grindy. You can almost always do just fine playing the game normally
>>
>>4096150
>> slowest combat of any JRPG
Oh wow. You don't even have to go out of the Final Fantasy franchise to disprove this. FF9 is slow. FF1 is fairly quick, unless you set the battle speed on low, in which case you have only yourself to blame.
>>
>>4095797
>Did you actually got through without having to stock your inventory for every dungeon you had to dwelve into?

How is this a bad thing? How is this something to complain about
>>
>>4095429
I'm 23 and I'm beginning to realize that it is extremely likely I will play and beat most if not all of the retro games people might recommend on here. 8 and 16 bit titles for sure.
>>
>>4096702

Are they not tomorrow's Elder Eddas, their Odyssey's of Homer, their Epic of Gilgamesh's, as it were?

I can imagine worse fates.
>>
>>4096702
Give it 2 or 3 years and you'll lose a lot of interest in playing games.

Sitting through 40 hours of Xenogears was easy when I was 16. Not so much now that I'm 28.
>>
>>4096769
Try playing a game that doesnt have to hide behind pompous bullshit to cover how bad it is
>>
>>4096769

Why would you ever do that, even at 16?
>>
>>4096568
Because the game is super fucking slow for pretty much everything.

>>4096774
Video games are fun, r-right?
>>
>>4096794
>Because the game is super fucking slow for pretty much everything.
You're asking for the game to hold your hand through it. You actually believe you have to sit down and buy 99 potions at a time to have a decent chance of making it through a dungeon. Putting yourself up against the risk of mismanaging your resources or having your party be wiped out makes you piss your pants. You want all challenge to be trivialized because you simply don't have the patience to actually play the game, to learn how to play by its rules, to learn from your mistakes. Next time you see someone bring up FF1 it's likely you'll brush it off as "grindy" and "archaic" because you didn't have the insight to learn how to actually take it on.

You're wasting your time and you're wasting everybody else's. Do this board a service and find another game to whine about.
>>
>>4096798
That's a lot of excuses for poor game design.
>>
Then again, this IS Final Fantasy 1, the game were people think the lack of auto target upon enemy death is a feature that makes fights more "strategical".
>>
>>4096798
There's nothing challenging about buying 99 potions one at a time instead of all 99 at once. You get more than enough money to buy a ton of potions, so why wouldn't you buy them?

Stop pretending this is about challenge so you can feel good about yourself.
>>
>>4096807
Get a white mage on the party if you want convenient healing or man up and buy 99 potions 1 at a time.
>>
>>4096810
Or better yet, play the Origins remake.
>>
>>4096807
What is it that i'm doing that's so different? Why is it that I don't feel the need to spend literal hours grinding with frameskip on until I have 100x the amount of money and experience I should have at a given point in the game? Was FF1 really designed so that I should have 100,000G before I take on the marsh cave? Have the patron saints of RNG graced me with their blessing? I must be the ultimate gamer and I don't even know it.
>>
Besides 99 potions won't help you avoid the ohko spells or crippling status ailments later in the game.
>>
>>4096804
>It's not me, it's the game that sucks
>>
>>4096817
Depending on your party setup potions are absolutely necessary, mang.
>>
>>4096824
Ionno, maybe it's both.
>>
fun fact about final fantasy 1, half the stats are fucking useless because no attack ever references them
>>
File: 1488400981688.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
1488400981688.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>4096798
>You actually believe you have to sit down and buy 99 potions at a time to have a decent chance of making it through a dungeon.
Tell me your FF1 experience. Perfect resource management? Did your cure 2 and ARUB solved everything? Nice boy I am proud you didnt had to grind items or stock up 99 potions for every quest. I bet you didnt had to grind money to get spells, you had it all right?

>You want all challenge to be trivialized because you simply don't have the patience to actually play the game to learn how to play by its rules, to learn from your mistakes
Yet I am. Making a thread here isnt going to change the game's coding. Its still slow as it gets.

>Next time you see someone bring up FF1 it's likely you'll brush it off as "grindy" and "archaic" because you didn't have the insight to learn how to actually take it on.
Do you play RPGs just to beat it in a smart and economic way? Don't you ever want to see how a high leveled up character looks like? Don't you want to check all the game spells? I grind to buy spells.

>You're wasting your time and you're wasting everybody else's. Do this board a service and find another game to whine about.
No, you're wasting yours reading what you want, fuckface.

pic related, take a deep breath and chill.
>>
File: monsters strike first.png (13KB, 1024x224px) Image search: [Google]
monsters strike first.png
13KB, 1024x224px
>>4095360
>>
I practically never buy consumables. I rather sell them when they take up place in the inventory.
In FF1 I had to retreat from the Lich's doorstep because my white mage got petrified and I was too cheap to even carry gold needles.
>>
>>4096810
Oh yeah those 6 spell charges are gonna be real helpful
>>
>>4096769
Sounds like you just have a shitty unfun life now, anon. Why are you even posting here?
>>
Aren't there like three items that let you cast heal for free? Why are your mages not doing that every turn?
>>
File: Amano_Monsters_FFII.jpg (2MB, 1367x1018px) Image search: [Google]
Amano_Monsters_FFII.jpg
2MB, 1367x1018px
>>4095990
>>4096216
This guy here.

I'm only two hours in and already kind of dreading this a bit. I'm only in Elfheim and each spell for my black and white mage cost 4,000 gil. Do I man the fuck and grind this shit or do I realize I'm a weak will fuck? After just finishing chrono trigger I think I have spoiled myself but I really don't know if I'm ready for a grind fest.
>>
>>4100413
Buy Fast, Ice2 and Pure. The rest can wait. Also stock up on antidotes.
>>
>>4100413
You can grind out some cash on ogres or you could try taking on the peninsula of power. You'll want Pure ASAP or you'll be chugging antidotes every time you encounter snakes.
Do you have a black belt? If so and you're near or past level 10 it's time to get rid of the 'chucks and let him fight barehanded. He will soon become a single-target rape machine.
>>
>>4100413
Managed to gather enough patience to finish the game. Not that its hard or boring, just slow.

I'll not go into details (to avoid spoiling) but theres some good gold farming areas (Ogres for example but there are more). I found myself really weak at this point of the game and did most of the grind there, maybe not the best idea but I could definitely do more grinding through the game as I went to beat the last bosses without enough level to use Nuke.

>>4100791
BB start real lame and awkwardly becomes the ultimate killer.
>>
>>4100448
>>4100791
Thanks. My team is a fighter, monk, white mage, and black mage. They're all at level 7, hoping this grinding gets them into or at least close to the double digits.

On one hand I like how a single battle can fuck my shit up as it keeps me on my toes. Right now the grinding is just annoying as in Elfheim I keep encountering wolves or tarantulas which barely drop any gil. Maybe I wouldn't be as pissed if it was consistently ogres but this is just tedious as fuck.

I'm giving it some more time. I don't mind grinding, I love classic DQ games, but here it feels like even after grinding I'm barely getting stronger. So far I feel like little to no progress with my party has been made.
>>
>>4100816
I'll take your word for it. I know it isn't far but I just wish there was even a little sense of "wow, my characters have got a bit stronger now". I'm also too moral to fast forward, I know once I go down that path I'll never come back.
>>
>>4095317
what was anyone thinking going back to play FF1 in 2017

the sliding puzzle is literally the most fun part of the entire game
>>
>>4100817
Grind at finger point. If you run into frost wolves, use fire2, if you run into minotaur zombies, use fire2 and harm2. If you run into anything else, run away. You may or may not die, but it's much quicker.
>>
>>4100819
In the early stages what saved the party was my fighter and most grinding I did was to equip him. Fire2, Ice2 and Lit2 are decent AOE that will help a lot when you manage to get them, as well Harm from white mage (deals damage to undead).
Eventually you'll feel that your characters are getting stronger but the turning point is after the test of courage.

>>4100331
I found them after I created this thread. Those are indeed useful.
>>
>>4100817
The plains east of Elfheim always seemed to have more ogre/creep encounters than the forests in my experience. Alternatively the peninsula of power is all the way east and north of Pravoka. Bring some lube for your asshole and save often.

Elfheim was always the grindiest part of the game for me. Beyond that point though my Fighter has a silver sword and my Black Belt is level 9-10 so they start reliably wrecking face and I have access to giant alley in the Earth Cave soon after for mad gains.
>>
>>4100830
>>4100831
Thanks guys, appreciate the help and advice.
>>
>>4100830
>I found them after I created this thread. Those are indeed useful.

Yeah if you use those things carefully you can get basically infinite health out of them in many cases. It just takes a while. They are a game-breaking feature, which of course is a normal thing in an RPG.

I loved this game as a kid and didn't care about any of its flaws then, not even the bugs (none of which I noticed)... except the inability to buy multiple potions simultaneously. Even then, that was irritating. And yeah there's no reason why they couldn't have put in some higher-level healing potions just to let you batch your purchasing operations and your potion-drinking operations. That doesn't even make the game easier.

Oh well, it's old and rough, you just gotta deal with it
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.