[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just ordered pic related off of ebay for 14 bucks. What's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

File: sfc.jpg (12KB, 216x275px) Image search: [Google]
sfc.jpg
12KB, 216x275px
Just ordered pic related off of ebay for 14 bucks. What's the best way to clean up the yellowing? Mind you it doesn't need to be perfect, just want it to look a little nicer.
>>
Take it apart, gently clean with soapy water, dry, apply some form of Retrobrite (following proper application instructions).
>>
>>4094140

A bath of 50/50 water and hydrogen peroxide will brighten up yellowed plastic.
>>
Op listen to
>>4094143
Then listen to
>>4094156

Always disassemble and clean with soapy water first.

Make sure it gets plenty of sun exposure once you've applied the Retrobrite/Hydrogen Peroxide. Ideally you'd use a UV lamp or something but you probably don't have one.
>>
I've looked into this before and it sounds like these de-yellowing procedures make the plastic more brittle and the yellowing will return eventually. I'd love to be wrong however
>>
>>4094243

I don't know about the de-yellowing causing it. I know plastic naturally gets brittle with age, as the oils leak out, drying the plastic and causing it to shrink slightly.
I've heard you can restore the softness of plastic by soaking it in some sort of oil, but I don't know much about that. (If I did, I might not have a classic Thinkpad 701C "Butterfly" with a snapped hinge now)
>>
>>4094140
Clean it with a clean rag and dishwashed/water, rinse it, dry it and then clean it again using lemon juice, put in under the sun and boom, white-ish again.

And no strong chemicals that could screw up the plastic.
>>
Believe it or not, the same chemical that causes it to yellow is found in your urine. If you piss on it, it causes a chemical reaction with the yellowed plastic. A week of once a day pissing will see it looking brand new by the end of the week
>>
>>4094702

That doesn't even make sense in your post, anon. Try harder.
>>
>>4094702
gr8 b8 m8
>>
>>4094207
Not op, but would a blacklight work?
>>
clean it with cm
>>
clean it with cum
>>
>>4095192
Yes. Don't even try using the sun. Wal*Mart sells a ~$5 CFL black light that has been working wonderful for me.
>>
>>4094140
14$ shipped?
I paid 50$ for a non yellowed one shipped w 2 controlers
>>
>>4095212
>>4095214
literally epic
>>
>>4094140
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU7vXMezW_I
>>
How can I clean my yellowing SNES in Finland? We don't have the sun over here
>>
>>4094140
Speaking of cheap ass super famicoms; i am thinking of buying one and I'm just wondering how much success I'll have playing it on my 32 inch Sharp TV with one of those special RGB to scrat leads. Like will the whole 50/60 Hz thing fuck me over? Or will I be good.
>>
>>4097397
If your TV supports 60Hz, no.
If your TV doesn't support 60Hz, yes.
>>
>>4097498
How do I know that ?

(All this SNES related shit is super confusing)
>>
>>4097603

Look up the specs on your TV online?
>>
>>4097603
Plug in a 60Hz device and see what happens I suppose. Alternately, find a PDF of the manual and see what formats it supports.
>>
>>4097609
I'm pretty sure my TV can switch to lower refresh rates when it needs to, like any other monitor I guess?
>>
If a SNES is heavily yellowed, is the plastic already as brittle as it's going to get or would de-yellowing make it even worse?
Is it still best not to bother with retrobrite in this situation?
>>
>>4097603
You can get an NTSC to PAL signal converter pretty cheap online if your tv doesn't support 60hz. Never used one myself so don't know how well they perform.
>>
>>4099280

I've never heard of de-yellowing making the plastic more brittle, apart from that guy upthread.
>>
>>4094702

If that was the case that would make it even MORE yellow.
>>
>>4099303
If you have an old CRT that can handle non standard signals an old converter designed for that works great.
>>
I just sanded it a lil bit and hit it with flat black and some flat clear coat
>>
Most PAL televisions do support 60hz not just NTSC 60hz through Composite or S-Video. Run it through RGB and pretty much every television made after 1984 will run it just fine.
>>
>>4102778
>>
>>4099303
>>4100471
Anon wants to use RGB though so NTSC/PAL doesn't enter the equation.

>>4097397
You'll be good so long as you stick to RGB. There's only a few hundred Hz difference in sync rate between 50 and 60 which your set should handle just fine.
>>
>>4102778
Looks nice anon
>>
>>4094243
not significantly unless you put it in the hot sun.
>>
>>4102778
Very nice.
>>
40 Vol works as well as retrobrite, if you can find it for sale. it'll probably save you money and time from finding strong H2O2 and buying xantham gum or some other thickener
>>
>>4103506
Anon said you can get an NTSC to PAL converter and I offered some advice. Nothing was mentioned about wanting RGB. ESL?
>>
>>4103551
>>4103510
Thanks.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.