[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So when did it become standard for arcade machines to take quarters

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: metalslug044.png (58KB, 608x448px) Image search: [Google]
metalslug044.png
58KB, 608x448px
So when did it become standard for arcade machines to take quarters to let you continue from where your game ended?

In the older machines this wasn't the case. A game over in Donkey Kong, Pacman, Frogger, etc. meant you had to put in another quarter to continue, but you'd start over from the beginning of the game. Your progress was gone.

When did arcade games start giving players the ability to continue from where they left off? Anyone know the first game that did this?

This change seems like it would've been a pretty big shift in the way arcade games were played and even designed, but it's a shift I've never really heard of or thought about before. And it seems like one that would've actually been a pretty big turning point in the industry.
>>
Bosconian, 1981.
>>
>>4092753
I knew it had to be some Japanese pleb.
>>
>>4092751
I figure it's just an easier way of getting arcade-goers to put in quarters... As to when it first happened I have no idea. You have to take note, as well, that the games you've listed are endlessly repeating and that if you continued right where you left off.
>>
>>4092751
>Your progress was gone.
Well, Pacman, DK and Frogger are the games with a few levels which quickly start to repeat, so the only thing which changes through the progress is number of points and speed of enemies.
And you lose your points after you put another quarter, by the way. If you're a big hardcore player you don't continue, if you're a casual who wants just to play through the game you choose to put another quarter. I see no problem with this.
>>
>>4092751
>And it seems like one that would've actually been a pretty big turning point in the industry.
I think the advancements in hardware that let you create games that weren't a single board was a bit bigger. Just a little. Idk maybe I'm crazy....
>>
>>4092760
>and that if you continued right where you left off.

My train of thought stopped. If you continued right where you left off in those games then it would make little difference.
>>
>>4092903
Stop posting creepy cartoons.
>>
>>4092904
It's not creepy at all! It's actually the most heart-warming piece of media you'll ever indulge in.
>>
>>4092751
I wanna say it was when beat em ups got popular?

>>4092753
He said "when did it become STANDARD".
>>
>>4092751
I want to know the genius that came up with the 2nd player being able to steal lives when they die.

That shit is never okay.
>>
File: 1453440854220.png (16KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1453440854220.png
16KB, 500x500px
>>4092913
You mean stealing credits? Or are you talking about something like Super Mario World?
>>
Mid to Late 80's. It wasn't in every game, but it was becoming more common. The NES was the driving factor here in the US, since games started shifting away from just getting a high score and more to "finishing" them. Arcade games followed, and thus letting the player continue from where they fell made sense. Beat-em-ups and Shoot-em-ups were some of the earlier recipients of the new system. Wasn't long after that the arcade games started getting final bosses that seemed almost designed solely to milk more quarters.
>>
>>4092751
In late 80s was when continues became a thing, but there were older games with those like >>4092753
>>
>>4093506
>The NES was the driving factor and arcade games followed
Bullshit the early NES games were also infinite looping stuff, games becoming about "beating them" was an universal thing and not something exclusive to the nes
>>
>>4092912
He also asked what the first game was, if you read the entire post.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.