[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is "This game is too old" a valid criticism? I don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 3

File: 1427909492196.jpg (104KB, 500x373px) Image search: [Google]
1427909492196.jpg
104KB, 500x373px
Is "This game is too old" a valid criticism?
I don't think so since I've been able to get into older games without much trouble. They might not have the greatest interfaces or controls but they aren't some insurmountable obstacle to getting into the game for me.
>>
>>4092083
>Is "This game is too old" a valid criticism?
Of course not. I do think games can "age", but I don't think that's a valid reason to automatically dismiss them.
>>
No, it's just code for "I have no attention span, I'm not willing to learn how to play, or I'm too casual for this"

I mean I think it's fine if you're any of those things, I just people would say that instead of trying to re-write history with their youtube videos about how game X was never good.
>>
>>4092085
This.

A lot of old games are just too simplistic, short and repetitive. But that's a broad generalization. "Old" is not the reason I don't like them.
>>
It's not. If people could enjoy it then, we can enjoy it now.
>>
>>4092097
Why are you on vr.
>>
>>4092105
I'm talking about 2nd generation games.
>>
Ionno man, I have zero interest in some score based Atari 2600 and Arcade games. But that just me, I respect all games and opinions.
>>
>>4092083
I hate old games that's why ima postan on /vr/ erryday
>>
>>4092085
>I do think games can "age"

Honest question: how? Game design doesn't age. Pac-Man is fun for the same reasons that it was when it released. That applies to all games that are not patched or changed from their release day (obviously something like a multiplayer game's community dying off would cause it to change in a way that affects the design as well).

The only thing that can age are the impressiveness of technology, but if something is only entertaining because of flash in the pan aesthetic innovations, then it wasn't a fun "game" in the first place, it was just coasting on something that is superfluous to the design.
>>
>>4092109
>Pac-Man is fun for the same reasons that it was when it released.

Pac Man has extremely simple controls that are impossible to fuck up. A good example of games that aged badly are very early 3D platformers that feel like you're controlling a walrus and the camera is controlled by an ADHD hummingbird. At the time we didn't have anything better so we enjoyed it, but looking back it was pretty ass.
>>
>>4092107
>>4092106
Leave.
>>>/v/
>>
>>4092109
>Game design doesn't age.
If that were we'd still be playing procedurally generated score based shooting games that only end when the player reaches a kill screen.
>>
>>4092116
Guess what, that's essentially what modern cellphone games are.
>>
>>4092116
Not really an aging thing. I don't think game makers would want to make the same genre for decades.
>>
>>4092109
Rising standards. Controls are the biggest part of it imo.
Would you willingly play a 3D platforming game with tank controls after spending a lifetime playing Mario 64, Spyro, ect.?
>>
>>4092120
Design sensibilities change, mang. If that were true FPSes today would still have maze-ish maps with monster closet style ambushes where the player hunts for switches and key cards.
>>
>>4092109
It applies more to 3D game design than 2D. Especially with the use of the camera.
>>
>>4092123
And games were WAAAAAY better back then when we hunted for key cards.
>>
>>4092123
FPS games becoming very linear and having a greater emphasis on narrative didn't stop older games like Duke 3D and Doom from being enjoyable though.
>>
>>4092135
Your problem is that you think "aging" is an inherently bad thing.
>>
>>4092135
Duke 3D is brilliantly because you can bypass the keycards entirely through tricks and shortcuts. But that's story for another thrad.
>>
>This game aged well
REEEEEEEEEE
>This game was ahead of it's time
*crickets*

They mean the same thing.
>>
>>4092116
>If games didn't age, we'd still be playing old games
That's the idea slugger

>>>/v/
>>
>>4092153
Things change, time passes. So is life.
>>
>>4092138
We'll I made this thread because people use aging as a criticism against older games.
>>
Why do people throw a hissy fit when you say old things are old. Grow up.
>>
Sounds like oldfags have trouble admitting the cool shit from their childhoods ain't considered cool anymore. It's like watching a Dadrock fan having a mental breakdown.
>>
Trends are cyclical, you have weird phenomena such as indies like VVVVV that play exactly like old Commodore 64 metroidvanias with infinite lives cheats and they're considered good. Back in the day people found commodore metroidvanias like Monty In The Run and Jet Set Willy total garbage.
>>
>>4092164
What is aging is relative. Most people are bought up by social comforming and cultural programming. A guy playing call of cuty won't play older stuff because he doesn't have to and might be afraid to branch out.

It's cultural nihilism to just say something aged. It makes more sense to say people have different views groomed by their own life and trends and people around them.
>>
>>4092164
>Dadrock
>this fucking meme
Rock music was dead before your father was born.
>>
>>4092178
Most kids I know are total hipsters and loooove old stuff. They love when they see Donkey Kong references in Mario Odyssey for instance or Doom 1 map remake in NuDoom.
>>
>>4092186
80s hair metal look so ridiculous, it's embarrassing. You could say it AGED badly.
>>
>>4092109
You are right, PacMan is still fun, today. but, that's not because no game ages, its because Pac-Man is a simple, timeless game. just like Chess, and Tag, and Super Mario Bros 3. it does one thing, doesn't need a lot of glitz, and is already perfectly refined.

go play any of the N64 Turok games. now go play Borderlands 2. now, play Turok, again. can't do it, can you? tank controls suck, the draw distance is pathetic, the muddy textures and goofy colors scrape your eyes.

games don't age, our perception of them ages. when you have newer, and better experiences to compare things with, older, poorer experiences feel old and poor. And, when experiences are share similarities based on when they were created, we can place them in history as part of a certain era.

games that dissappoint, and can be placed in a particular point in time, can be called old. yes, the game is the same. it is not worn out, like an old shoe, but the experience can feel worn. we don't play FPSs with tank controls, anymore. we have Keyboard/Mouse (or whatever the current setup is called). Tank controls fucking suck, and any game that uses them is probably old as hell, and probably is a bitch to play.

Except for Jumping Flash. that game does enough other things well, and embodies the best of early Playstation, that its possible to look past the janky controls. that game isn't just dismissed as "old". that game is "Classic"

in my opinion, anyway. Jumping Flash 2 is my childhood
>>
>>4092193
Turok has no tank controls. It's about as close as you can get to a modern twin stick configuration on a N64 controller. You just use the c-buttons in place of the right stick.
>>
>>4092083
people have different tolarances for different kinds of discomfort. I cannot play menu driven, turn based RPGs anymore. Every once in a while one pops up and I struggle through it, but Open World action RPGs have ruined me. Those games feel too tired and limited. Especially considering JRPGs kept that format for decades. I never finished Dragon Quest 8, and thanks to Dragon Age Inquisition, I never will. I will buy every Final Fantasy IOS re-master, but I will never beat them.
>>
>>4092193
It's simple, old games like Pac Man are great, new games like Turok are garbage and always were.
>>
>>4092227
Nigger.
>>
File: Star_Trek_text_game.png (1KB, 517x304px) Image search: [Google]
Star_Trek_text_game.png
1KB, 517x304px
>>4092083
No game is ever too old to use your imagination as graphics booster.
>>
>>4092083
I know at least one man who legitimately refuses to play anything older than two years.
>>
>>4092083
Some mechanics get improved over the years and as certain genres evolve older games seem more outdated (or less common) gameplay mechanics. Which is why some people say "this game didn't age well". Is it valid criticism to dislike a game for its archaic mechanics? I'm not sure, but I do disagree with the people (/vr/) who argure this literally, as in, "code doesn't age xD"

Also, an example of this would be opening a menu in an RPG to select the "talk" option, or Super Mario 64 using digital inputs for camera movement, or N64 single stick shooters. Developers now use different input methods for some of those mechanics, because they are ARGUABLY better. And when people go back to those older games they say "this didn't age well".

Opinions can change too btw.
>>
>>4092083
Is "This book is too old" a valid criticism?
Is "This song is too old" a valid criticism?
Is "This movie is too old" a valid criticism?
Is "This car is too old" a valid criticism?
Is "This CTR TV is to old" a valid criticism?

The same answer you give to these questions should also apply to video games.
>>
>>4092394
>Is "This car is too old" a valid criticism?
this is the only one that being too old is valid criticism
>>
>>4092158
This.

Reminds me of the crpg fags bursting into Final Fantasy threads and screaming about their clunky Ultima games.
>>
>>4092121
define 'tank controls'
nintendrones probably hating on grid-locked controls like in Tomb Raider because hurr it's not mario 64
>>
>>4092654
Well when almost every action and platformer ga.e has defaulted to m64 and oot style controls, it's hard to go back to tank.
>>
>>4092792
not really, games with grid movement like TR1, or Abe's Oddysee, or Prince of Persia, all still play fine as they did back in the day

what is so difficult in comprehending a grid?
>>
>>4092193
>go play any of the N64 Turok games. now go play Borderlands 2. now, play Turok, again. can't do it, can you?
Yes I perfectly can. If you can't I honestly think you may have some brain problems.
>>
>>4092083
Usually not, unless it's somehow a 3D game and it has a shitty camera. That seemed prevalent with PS1 games. But then, it wouldn't really be all that old.
>>
>>4092116
What the hell are you talking about. Just because majority of the games don't fall under that today doesn't mean games back in the early 80's that had that sort of set up aren't still fun to play today. It can be enemy behaviors, level design, the speed at which the game plays at, and possibly others.
>>
>>4092083
Yooka-Laylee's criticism in a nutshell, minus the Jontron bit.
>>
>>4092486
Not necessarily. There are many old cars that still run strong and have been serving their purpose for decades. Pic related is a good example, these fuckers have been on roads since late 70s and to this day are in use especially in third world countries where they still use them as taxis and even the ones in more developed countries are still in use. If a car is build this well and still serves it's purpose I don't see it being "too old" even if it is slow as fuck and obviously lacks some features if you compare it with modern standards.
>>
>>4092202
Were you even truly interested in those RPGs in the first place?
>>
>>4092083
I don't think you can recommend an Atari 2600 game to an unprepared player and hope they will be having fun. Games this old are only enjoyable for nostalgia or historic study. Therefore, it is a valid criticism.
>>
>>4094253
I know you're kidding, but even most of /vr/ wouldn't enjoy the 2600 hundred. /vr/ is the most casual retro community out there.
>>
I dunno, Pole Position and Yar's Revenge looked sort of cool.
>>
>>4094267
I'm not kidding, the only 2600 game I really enjoy is Enduro. I started with NES as a kid.
Ok, maybe Breakout can still be fun for anyone, but it's one very rare example.
>>4094272
>2600 Pole Position
Pure trash.
>>
I only discovered the 2600 existed because of Youtube by the way.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.