[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Vehicular Combat General? Just got my "twisted metal"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 619HVSGQN4L.jpg (76KB, 500x486px) Image search: [Google]
619HVSGQN4L.jpg
76KB, 500x486px
Vehicular Combat General? Just got my "twisted metal" cherry popped

Cars feel a little too fast and the physics make absolutely no sense sometimes, but 4 is still fairly serviceable
>>
Vigilante 8 will forever be my favorite game of this genre.

The SW and 70s themes combine well with car combat, the music is pretty badass, and the weapons give a huge range of options when dealing with enemies with each standard weapon having two special uses.
Good replay value with stuff to unlock, and scoring combos with finishing moves adds even more badassery to an already awesome game.

IMO, better than TM2, but objectively, I can only say it's that game's equal.

V8 and TM2 are both pretty much as perfect as car combat can get in their day.
Only graphical and sound enhancements using modern tech could improve upon them. As far as gameplay goes, there is nothing more to do.

Also, I'll give a nod to Battletanx. Not as refined, but still good, and it had tanks. Nuff said.
>>
>>4090584
>and the weapons give a huge range of options when dealing with enemies with each standard weapon having two special uses.
Weren't all weapons useless, aside from straight rockets and cannon? You can't hit anything with mortar and interceptor missiles, and they do shit damage.
>>
>>4090597
It's all about range. Different gear has different range. Of course you can't hit anything accurately from half a map away. That would make things too easy.

Sticky mines are great when you're being chased by some pimply cunt in a school bus, and the mortar is awesome for whammies and totals.
>>
>>4090606
I don't think interceptor and mortar is usefull from any range. Mortar is good when you do crater atack, but IF it connects. Interceptor missiles is just good for using them as turbo and nothing else. Even the slowest cars can outrun those crappy weapons, its a waste of time. That was the biggest flaw of the game for me. If your car special is shit, you are narrowed to using 3 out of 5 weapons. Not much variety. Also second offence was shit, altough it did have better modes like 2coop.
>>
>>4090612
It's all about play style, which weapons are best.
I personally found the seekers better than standard missiles, because I liked to tango with opponents rather than run and gun. Circling them, firing weapons off.
I only used the mines for the sticky mine trick as a getaway option, but run and gun players could easily use them for an effective weapon to be dropped right in front of an opponent by driving across their path.

One great thing about standard missiles, they're awesome for blowing shit up and finding other weapons/specials crates.
>>
>>4090658
The thing I consistently noticed about v8 since it's release is that fans go out of their way to sing it's praises, over explaining every little detail like this. I've tried, but just can't enjoy the games though. Fine, right? Wrong. Because some fan will continue to over explain things in an attempt to undermine e every opinion I, or anyone else, has against their game.

If I think the weapons all suck, they get into 40 freaking explantations about play styles, alternative uses, and etc to try and prove me wrong.

Thing is every vehicle combat game is like that. Power missiles are all but useless in tm1, but in the hands of a skilled player, they're fucking awesome. So what? People are still allowed to not like tm1. and they are allowed to use the power missiles as an excuse if they want.

Sorry for the rant. I guess...
>>
File: Outlaw.jpg (37KB, 316x276px) Image search: [Google]
Outlaw.jpg
37KB, 316x276px
>>4090706
Nah it's alright.
I don't mind people ballbreaking games myself, unless they're ballbreaking ALttP.
That is the only game ever that cannot be critiqued. It's as flawless as a videogame can possibly be in practice.
>but it has faults! slowdown!
No shit. Nothing made by man is without fault. That's why I said "in practice".

But yeah, go ahead and be my guest. Any other game, including V8, is fair game for critique.
>>
>>4090706
>Power missiles are all but useless in tm1
Nobody plays tm1. Your opinions on tm2?

>>4090658
I see. Maybe I undervalued mortat and seekers.
>mines
I used the mines all the time, just forgot about them in my earlier post. I use mines, rockets, sometimes seekers, that cannon that looks like vaccum, and flamer in 2nd vigilante.

Would you explain to me how to use mortar? I found no use for it, especially in human opponents match. As long as you drive, no mortar will ever hit you. Even as Convoy or Bus.
>>
>>4090840
Mortars are the best standard weapon for a whammy/total. Especially the crater maker.

And if you play by driving circles around an opponent while firing, they're more accurate. Tricky to use that way however. Friendly fire.
>>
>>4090869
Thx. How do you do that whammy thing? Total is just fatality, right?
>>
>>4090878
Whammies are when two weapons hit at once. The combo does extra damage.
With the mortar, the damage is pretty extreme. It's a neat trick, if you have a tougher ride like Convoy, to ram front-to-front into an opponent, after firing a simple mortar shot, switching quick to another weapon(cannon) and hitting said opponent with the mortar and a cannon shot(cow puncher) at the same time. By running into the enemy, you stop it allowing the mortar shot to hit. It takes timing and practice, but the resulting whammy is a killer.

A total is blowing up a wrecked car. Using a whammy to total an annoying little shit is one of those sweet joys of PSX-era gaming.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.