[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I don't have international knowledge of gaming since i grew

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 8

I don't have international knowledge of gaming since i grew up in the USA, but does anyone know if the 1983 gaming crash effected anyone outside of North America? I'm sure it effected them in some way but I am unsure as how much of an impact it had abroad.
>>
Very little impact if any.
>>
>>4089941
The crash literally was a crash of the American market/industry.

Gaming wasn't mainstream in yurop then, so it didn't matter there, and Japan has always been self-sufficient anyway.
>>
>>4089948
Nah bullshit. You owe Nintendo for saving the gaming industry.
>>
File: ps-wanted[1].jpg (145KB, 796x730px) Image search: [Google]
ps-wanted[1].jpg
145KB, 796x730px
This thread again? The 1983 crash is really just the crash of Atari but it went down so spectacularly that it took Colecovision and Intellivision down with it as well as doing significant damage to the arcade scene, leaving a vacuum for the Japanese companies to fill. It didn't really effect the computer gaming scene, even Atari managed to stay relevant there for many more years but...

The computer gaming scene in the 80s was dwarfed by the console and arcade scenes. Dwarfed.

The idea that computer gaming represented anything more than a miniscule fraction of gaming is an appealing fallacy based on our modern perspective of gaming.

Apparently in the 80s, Europeans were playing a lot of computer games despite the fact that they were nearly all terrible. Probably because they were easy to pirate.
>>
Are we going towards a crash of 2023 for similar reasons?

>big studios only create bland AAA games that cost more and more but sell less and less
>small creative developers are all ded
>consoles get all replaced by expensive gaming PCs
>you can also play freemium shovelware on chink smartphones though
>conclusion: people just stop caring and go enjoy the sun outside
>>
>>4089989
Are you stupid?
>>
>>4089996
Absolutely. Other questions?
>>
>>4089989
HAVE YOU TRIED
OH I DON'T KNOW, THIS ONE OLD TRICK?

This is top secret FBI shit, I'm already in trouble for knowing about it.

Play better games, anon, stop putting twibble ayyy on a pedestal, it means big budget, not quality
>>
>>4090010
Should you be letting him in on that? I mean then there'll be fewer good games for us to play. He might start a YouTube channel or something then how would you feel?
>>
>>4089989
Eh a decline. You see many like snk and Konami rarely putting out games. Sega few new stuff not counting ports, capcom only doing new stuff and remasters.
>>
>>4089941
>if the 1983 gaming crash effected anyone outside of North America?
Not at all, because computers became widely available only by 1990.
>>
>>4089941
No, because the US and Japan are the only relevant countries when it comes to vidya.
>>
File: famicom_pulse.png (47KB, 1024x302px) Image search: [Google]
famicom_pulse.png
47KB, 1024x302px
America is full of shovelware? Europeans already like playing shovelware?
Leave it all to Japan.
>>
>>4090098
What was this symbol even supposed to represent?
>>
>>4089941
Latin america got a fuckload of cheap atari 2600 games.
>>
>>4090112
It's always been called the pulseline.
>>
>>4090098
Well, it's japan that shits out shovelware now.
>>
>>4089989
>big studios only create bland AAA games
And here is the problem. At worst they are bland. Have you actually played any bad games before? Not talking about a bland game here, but something offensive in that you cannot believe they thought it was acceptable to release it.
>>
>>4089941
The home gaming industry in Japan didn't even really start until the Famicom came out, and no one cares about Europe. So no, it pretty much only affected North America.
>>
>>4090054
I wonder if arcades were effected at all in North America at least?
>>
>>4089941
>there is now world outside of lolmerica
the thread
>>
>>4089941
It should be pointed out that the crash was caused and only concerned consoles. PCs were unaffected.
>>
>>4089984
>The computer gaming scene in the 80s was dwarfed by the console and arcade scenes. Dwarfed.
>The idea that computer gaming represented anything more than a miniscule fraction of gaming is an appealing fallacy based on our modern perspective of gaming.
>Apparently in the 80s, Europeans were playing a lot of computer games despite the fact that they were nearly all terrible. Probably because they were easy to pirate.

What a load of complete shit.
>>
>>4089984
>The 1983 crash is really just the crash of Atari

Look up industry revenues back then. 1983 and 1984 were a near total implosion compared to the years prior to them.
>>
>>4090190
>>4090195
no u
>>
>>4089989
We more or less already have seen a slow motion mini-crash over the course of this decade. There's been a decline of about 1/3 in total revenues once you adjust for inflation.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Atari_2600_games

I love this page because it paints such a striking picture of how far Atari fell. Sort by date.
>>
>>4089941
> Crash

It was just retailers having cold feet. If you were less than an adult it had practically no impact beyond 'cheap c64 games everywhere you go'.
>>
File: kot_left.png (360KB, 418x451px) Image search: [Google]
kot_left.png
360KB, 418x451px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4iW57DdCTw
>>
>>4090242
>had practically no impact beyond 'cheap c64 games everywhere you go'.

The north american crash actually helped the c64, as a great deal of Atari's developers jumped ship to the platform.
>>
>>4089984
In 1983 you were playing in the ball pit a chuck e cheeze not hanging out in arcades. We got some fucking awesome games that year.
>>
>>4090278
c64 later caused a pricing war which sort of dented the pc industry back then too didn't it? I'm not really up on my pc history.
>>
>>4090305
No, PCs were too expensive to be in direct competition with Commodore.
>>
>>4089941
>does anyone know if the 1983 gaming crash effected anyone outside of North America?
No, not at all really. 1982/3 were huge boom years in Japan and Europe.
>>
>>4090305
>c64 later caused a pricing war which sort of dented the pc industry back then too didn't it? I'm not really up on my pc history.

Depends on what you mean by PC, if your referring to IBM & what became the x86 standard we use today, they had no interest in the home computer market in the early 80's and were obscenely expensive to the average non business consumer until many years later.

The biggest competition commadore had in the home computer market was sinclair, acorn & amstrad in europe/australasia. In japan home computers were dominated by the sega SG1000 & MSX.
>>
>>4090209

>make ridiculous statements about something you clearly know nothing about
>get called out on your bullshit
>best counter argument is 'no u'
>>
>>4090360
It's gramps, he can't handle when people call him out on his bullshit.
>>
>>4090216
>MUH MUNNY ADJUSTMUNT
COD consistently pushes millions and millions of copies with every entry, mobile gaming is a cash cow, and publishing games could not be easier.
>>
>>4089989
I don't think we will see a crash, rather we will see a contraction of the industry. One console developer will leave as the return on investment erodes. Prices will go up by ten to fifteen dollars, fewer games will be developed, and those that do will use more and more recycled assets from previous games. There will be heavy emphasis on DLC, which will be stuff that was left on the cutting room floor simply polished up.
>>
>>4090360
You didn't call me out on shit. Your argument was nothing and so required no rebuttal. Of course the industry figures went to shit because Atari WAS the industry. The collapse of the other consoles and damage to the arcade scene which I alluded to were collateral damage, a result of the loss of console consumer confidence. Consoles were 75% of gaming and Atari was 90% of consoles. I have to assume that's what the initial inarticulate complaint was about.

Feel free to be the one who looks up the hard numbers if it'll make you happy to smugly say "Ackshully console gaming only made up 64% of gaming revenue in 1982 and Atari consoles were only 81% of console sales hurrr hurrr hurrr".
>>
>>4089941
In Spain everyone had a Speccy, Amstrad or C64. Parents bought computers with the idea of combining games with serious programmes because they couldn't afford both so barely any ataris and shit were sold here so we didn't even notice it.
>>
>>4090956
Same in the UK, microcomputers (the BBC Micro especially) were pushed for use in the home and schools as part of a huge computer literacy drive. I had a Speccy, my best mate had a C64.

I've been playing Elite Dangerous which just came out on the PS4 and I remember playing the Speccy version back in the day, although I was a bit too young for a game that serious and in-depth, but it can be seen as a high watermark for what was possible on home computers in that era. Even if the graphics were wire-frame, the scope of the game was massive.
>>
>>4090956
>Speccy, Amstrad
All trolling aside it was probably these two microcomputers that shaped 80s European gaming to be so different than American and Asian gaming. As I understand it they were somewhat comparably priced to the 2600 there and over here there was NEVER a microcomputer that actually competed with consoles in the same market space, not until the 2010s.

It probably didn't hurt that they came out in '82 and '84. In fact, Anon could probably have a pretty successful troll by claiming that they were RESPONSIBLE for the '83 crash.
>>
>>4090995
>All trolling aside it was probably these two microcomputers that shaped 80s European gaming to be so different than American and Asian gaming
Speccy? Probably. CPC? In certain places. The C64 was still the primary gaming computer. Remember, Clive Sinclair didn't even want people playing games on the Spectrum. The Spectrum followed along with the C64, really. Most of the hallmarks of British microcomputer games originated on the C64.
>>
>>4089941
None. While USA was busy with console trash, most of the entire world was busy with the real deal: Computers.
>>
>>4091029
I'm sure C64 was never price competitive though. I sort of assume that the Spectrum was like a gateway drug (and port target) to the C64 in a way that Atari wanted the 2600 to be for the 5200 and the 8-bit line but never really was.
>>
>>4091073
>I'm sure C64 was never price competitive though.
With the Spectrum? No. But it remained very popular, especially for coders. The Spectrum was focused on because it was popular, but the C64 was by far the more interesting hardware to work on.
>>
>>4091059
Computers were also trash in terms of games.
Japan saved this damned industry from the westies' incompetence.
>>
>>4090157
Not him, but to me, the only bad game is a boring game. No matter how "low-quality" a game is, if I can find entertainment out of it, even entertainment unintended by the developers, then it has served its purpose.
>>
File: 20170630_150026.jpg (2MB, 2880x2160px) Image search: [Google]
20170630_150026.jpg
2MB, 2880x2160px
Pic related had a contest in 1983 in the US and they bankrupted and shut down before the game was named.
Jk it's called octopus in Europe and guardians of treasure in America.
But they did go down as a company.
So idk if that counts
>>
>>4091362
Replying to myself, just wiki'd it. Name wound up being going under, named after both the game and the fate of the developing company. Bahahaha
>>
Friendly reminder that it is both good and healthy for consumers for companies to die when they fail to deliver or remain relevant. You are only stifling new blood and fresh ideas if you try to save them.
>>
>>4090195
It was a market bubble. Every company jumped on the bandwaggon trying to make easy money and jumped ship as soon as it became apparent that things weren't so easy after all. And since they dumped their stock along the way they made it harder for the remaining companies to stay afloat.
>>
>>4091435
not true
>>
>>4089948
Gaming wasn't mainstream any where until the PS1. Europe had a bigger home computer seen than the US did. Burgers liked the NES as it's easy to use, Europfags liked the home computer/consoles like the Amiga. Usually were bought for education but then kids got games and fuck education.
>>
>>4090956
>or C64
Third most popular computer was actually MSX. C64 didn't really catch on outside of some regional bubbles. Amiga was relatively big tho, even when it only became afordable in like 89-91 and consoles were already here.
>>
>>4091029
That must be why so many fog breathers think it's a brit machine.
>>
>>4091059
You say that like you can name a single 8bit computer game worth playing that wasn't also on c64 or amiga in the US.
>>
>>4093000

Anybody who thinks that computers were superior for gaming in the early 80's obviously wasn't alive then.

When this topic comes up, Euros always joke about them being "the pc masterrace" back then to the US being console plebs, but early 80's computers were pretty terrible for gaming.

And if the game was on cassette, you got to wait 5 hours for it to load just to play something that looked like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD8SyQ_rQKQ

Great sound chips, obviously.
>>
>>4093017
Don't get me wrong I still nostalgia pretty hard over c64 games loading but there are plenty that think it was a brit machine that we never got or something.
>>
>>4093020
Yet no one got a C64 because of Cinemaware (and I'm being generous naming a relevant American company from that time) or whatever else Americans were pulling of. The core of its library was still mostly European.
>>
>>4093020

Yeah, I remember the machine being everywhere (relatively speaking). At least one family on the block had one. Sales show it at 10-17 million US, a huge number for PC back then.

And Atari (400/800) and Apple moved a lot of units. Not mention pseudo-computers like the Ti-99 and such.
>>
The 1983 gaming crash should more accurately be called the 1983 Console Crash. One of the causes for it was, in fact, the introduction of cheaper home computers.

Commodore cleaned up in the wake of it. And companies that published on the Commodore survived the crash.
>>
>>4093052
Having been alive at the time, I've always taken this stance to be a bit of revisionism. They really were flooding the market with what we'd call "unlicensed" games today, and there were consoles for days all trying to compete in the same space with the same truckloads of shovelware.

Home computers becoming cheaper was a subjective matter. They were still prohibitively expensive for most people I knew, and most of them didn't have an interest in owning one in the first place. That being said, I don't recall anyone who owned anything other than the C64, as the Apple II was almost laughably expensive.
>>
>>4093073
The current state of steam mirrors it similarly. You can't find shit because it's just so much shovelware. The only difference is it was the shop owners having to find what would sell not the consumer finding what they want to buy
>>
>>4093098
Well, as I recall, one of the bigger blunders of the whole thing was the fact that retailers were buying up everything that they possibly could, under the notion that video games were an infallible product. I think by the time that retailers realized they were hosed it was too late.
>>
>>4093017
Nice projecting there kiddo. The C64 and Apple II had fucking awesome games in the early 80s. The NES didn't come out until 85 so exactly what consoles are you comparing those to?
>>
>>4089989
I hope so. Nuke the entire industry and let it be reborn from the ashes.
>>
Italy here, apart from my relatives tales I also have some magazines from back then and people mostly cared about the Commodore and rich kids had Atari, Spectrum had a limited success too, we had an Atari and I still have some cassettes of it, Rocky and some space games.
Mega Drive was moderately successful here because SEGA got good marketing deals with main distribution all over the country and we never really got the NES, eventually the SNES catched up to it but PSX was the first real console success here.
>>
>>4093278
How popular is Mario, the character, in Italy? do you guys like him being italian?
>>
>>4093017
>Speccy
>implying sound chip
>>
>>4089946
This.
>>
>>4093643
128k versions of the Spectrum had the AY-8912 chip, which the MSX, Intellivision, and Vectrex also had.
>>
>>4089954
Wasn't the Master System doing better in Europe than the NES, though?

I'm not going to act like Nintendo's entry never changed anything, but I'm wondering what would have happened in Europe if they didn't.
>>
>>4090282
Our mall had a Showbiz Pizza, ackshully
>>
>>4092998
Nah more like no one gives a fuck about those irrelevant pieces of crap
>>
File: bb_original03.jpg (135KB, 600x435px) Image search: [Google]
bb_original03.jpg
135KB, 600x435px
>>4093716
>gramps first visit to showbiz pizza
>playing cave explorer with pedobears crazy uncle
>rape dungeon explained
>>
>>4089989

I'll take the bait.

>>big studios only create bland AAA games that cost more and more but sell less and less
This is true.

>>small creative developers are all ded
I don't see how this is true at all. If anything there are more than ever.

>>consoles get all replaced by expensive gaming PCs
Hasn't this been true for about two decades?

>>you can also play freemium shovelware on chink smartphones though
"Gamers".

>>conclusion: people just stop caring and go enjoy the sun outside
Yes.
>>
>>4094390
Billy Bob was only a simulated creep by Nolan Bushnell just like any rape in my basement was only simulated by me with kinky girls
>>
>>4090029
Not who you replied to, but I'd rather someone on youtube started talking about something other than Mario and Sonic. Or AAA games.

Granted, its not like I'd watch them anyway, I'd rather play a game than watch someone else play it and talk to you through a screen, but I might actually sit in on more if they were actually reviewing a game not EVERYONE EVER had heard about and were saying why they liked it and why they didn't like it and maybe playing a few pieces of said game so you could see what you were getting into.

So far, I tend to use youtube only for music and maybe a funny video here and there, but I might actually watch something like what I just described. I guess it would take a bunch of Anons from /vr/ to actually make such a channel that would be even semi-enjoyable, though. Like I said, I still don't want to watch someone else play and talk about a game.
>>
>>4095445
Literally every video game ever made has some idiot youtuber prattling on about it.
>>
>>4090157
Not him, but for me it was probably Kakuto Chojin.
>>
>>4093271
Not him, but you're retarded if you think he's comparing to the NES. This whole thread has pretty much been about Atari. Atari games and Arcade games were the bulk of entertainment then. I'm not disagreeing, C64 had some fun games, and so did Apple II, but that wasn't nearly the bulk of games being played or developed for.
That guy is right, PC was nowhere close to console at that point in anything aside from sound quality.
>>
>>4095449
Do they still take up 30 minutes on one title? Because if so, its still not worth it.
I could see maybe 5-10 minutes dropping points about why you do and don't like a game in a video, its not like you're having a conversation, but even after you explain why you do or don't like something, especially over a few clips of gameplay, that's pretty much it. either recommend it or don't, it's not that damn hard. Trying to show people that funny thing you did once is kind of annoying.
>>
>>4095498
Basically they play the game for at LEAST 30 minutes and attempt to do a live, improvised voice over commentary which is fundamentally impossible no matter HOW fucking funny you are. "Good" ones may pad that commentary with Wikipedia/HG101 regurgitation which still will only fill about your ten minute limit, leaving the game play barely scratched.

Personally, I just pick the longest video i.e. 2+ hours those ones usually don't have commentary then I just sort of jump around within it to get a sense of gameplay.

I wonder if you would run into trouble for taking other people's longplays, editing them and inserting commentary. My own diabolical idea was always to have various "nerd girls" actually appear on camera and discuss the games then there to be a portal to a pay site where viewers could see them get naked or more but that sort of channel would probably also get pulled sooner than later
>>
>>4095487
I think he doesn't know what he' comparing to. He's just parroting some words he read on the internet about shit that happened before he was born. The C64 and Apple II were better than and had better games than your 2600.
>>
>>4089989
>big studios only create bland AAA games that cost more and more but sell less and less
nah people will continue to have shit taste and praise crap like the last of us as 10/10 masterpieces
>>
>>4096382
I really enjoyed my playthrough of that game but then I was literally dismayed to learn it had no alternate endings, branching paths or even unlockable items.
>>
>>4089954
Nintendo just didn't had any product working on europe before the SNES, the NES maket share was negligible here.

They didn't save the games industry, they jump started the American one after the crash but Japan and europe markets were totally insolated from each other, except for some companies like commodore, the rest were, regional companies working on their own regions, with their own products.
>>
>>4092989
I would say that reached that point with the megadrive, Sega went full ahead and put a ton of money on advertising and that was the point were videogames went from advertising on related magazines to gamers to have tv spots on prime time, ad's on mainstream press, contracts with football clubs and such.

That was a big game changer and it peaked with the PS1.
>>
>>4095440
Did you tell their simulated parents where the bodies are buried?
>>
>>4098329
I am their simulated father figure
>>
>>4089941
>but does anyone know if the 1983 gaming crash effected anyone outside of North America? I'm sure it effected them in some way but I am unsure as how much of an impact it had abroad.
Nope
Thread posts: 94
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.