[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's your favourite Castleroid, /vr/? I can't choose

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 11

File: sotn2.jpg (37KB, 338x450px) Image search: [Google]
sotn2.jpg
37KB, 338x450px
What's your favourite Castleroid, /vr/?

I can't choose between SotN and PoR.
>>
OoE for me. It's a bit peculiar, but good.

PoR was my least favourite, the "you need to play as the chick too , you know"-mechanic felt kinda forced. I just wanted to whip things.
>>
File: darkmaria.png (2KB, 128x128px) Image search: [Google]
darkmaria.png
2KB, 128x128px
Reminder:

PSP SOTN > Saturn SOTN > XBLA SOTN > PS SOTN
>>
>>4088862
Yeah, that's why you download a .sav file that already has Richter mode unlocked, the proper way to experience PoR.
>>
1- Circle of the moon had some of the best platforming, and keeps a lot of the gameplay pretty simple, it gives the game more focus on exploring and combat.

2- Order of Ecclesia has a good pace starting with linear small stages and bringing the castle later. Though they admittedly wait a little too long to get to the castle. (and the outfits were cute, shut up.)

3- Sorrow games are just plain good. Soma's abilities and story are a great addition to the series, Julius mode at the end of the DS game is great. mostly what holds it back is the drastic artstyle change.

4- Portrait of Ruin has the best Context for the legion Bossfight. My oppinion on the rest of the game is irrelevant.

5- To eat food in Symphony of the night, you have to equip it like a weapon, throw it in battle, and then walk into it.
There's no denying it's a great game, but the lack of fine tuning it has compared to any of it's sequels can be frustrating, especially when it's considered one of the best games on playstation.
>>
File: superioritytoplebs.png (421KB, 553x827px) Image search: [Google]
superioritytoplebs.png
421KB, 553x827px
SotN > PoR > CotM > OoE > HoD > AoS > DoS
>>
>>4088885
Are you actually serious with that placement of the Saturn SotN? I mean sure, it has some extras, but that doesn't make up for it being an absolutely shitty port job. Good lord how did they fuck up so bad
>>
>>4088885
The PSP version was displayed in windowed mode. On a fucking portable. Unforgivable to have 30% of the screen taken up by a stupid border.
>>
>>4088885
Are those sprites from that scrapped ending or are they just mock-up?
>>
>>4089091
The PSP's screen is wide, SOTN is a 4:3 game.
>>4089098
They're from PSP version of Maria, she uses the same stand attack she had in Rondo.
>>
>>4089104
No, I mean on the Dracula X Chronicles version at least there is a border graphic that limits the game to a tiny portion of the screen, encircling the display entirely. Do the other versions eliminate that?
>>
>>4089116
You could play it on PPSSPP and upscale the graphics.
>>
Aria of sorrow is the truly patrician choiche

>>4089024
Shit taste
>>
>>4089249
>Sorrowfag saying anyone else has shit taste

Go back to grinding for souls, you emo fuck.
>>
>>4089284
>he doesn't know that AoS has the highest drop rate in thw series
Go back playing that normiefest also known as Sotn
>>
>>4089091
The reason they do that is because stretching it to full height would result in rectangular pixels, or require a blurry filter.

PSP = 480x272
PS1 SoTN: 256x208
>>
File: dracula.iso-0000.png (18KB, 280x240px) Image search: [Google]
dracula.iso-0000.png
18KB, 280x240px
>>4089303
>>4089116
I did a bit of research on this recently.
The resolutions are the same, actually, provided you set the options on the PSP version to "full screen" or whatever the wording is. It's just a bit stretched.

Here's the PSX version. It's from a translation of the Japanese version which keeps all the extra features that were nixed from the US release.
>>
File: ULUS10277_00009.jpg (479KB, 1920x1117px) Image search: [Google]
ULUS10277_00009.jpg
479KB, 1920x1117px
>>4089349
...And here's the PSP version.
>>
File: comparison.png (2MB, 1658x680px) Image search: [Google]
comparison.png
2MB, 1658x680px
A comparison.
The resolution is different, but you're not missing anything.
>>
SotN is the worst Castloid. The difficulty level is on the same tier as cell phone gaming.

I'd say Aria is the best in terms of content (collectibles that are worth collecting) and OoE is the best in overall mechanics.
>>
>>4089420
>The difficulty level is on the same tier as cell phone gaming.
That's part of why I like it, though. Sometimes it's nice to just sit back, equip some stupidly OP weapons, explore a spooky castle, and relax.
>>
>>4089473
this.
and to inspect every wall for cracks to find more slightly OP weapons.
>>
AoS => DoS > SotN > OoE > PoR >> CotM >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> HoD

I legitimately love all of them, even Circle of the Moon, except for Harmony. Fuck Harmony.
>>
>>4089502
Harmony was saved with the nifty boss rush mode.

The Sorrow shitshows have no redeeming qualities.
>>
File: 1489954743191.jpg (82KB, 508x720px) Image search: [Google]
1489954743191.jpg
82KB, 508x720px
>>4089513
>>
>>4089502
>cotm second worst
casual detected
>>
>>4089524
I just don't feel like I have the same freedom of playstyle in CotM as I do with the others, and it feels like it lacks content by comparison. Still good.
>>
>>4089513
>boss rush
I wonder why more Castleroids didn't have this feature. The level design is wack in them but the gameplay and bosses are so good, fuck.
>>
>>4088813
I always wanted to see a spinoff where you play as Death. It would be the backstory of how he became Death and why. He starts as a normal human peasant way way long ago when he was just a peasant named... let's say Dennis. Dennis' village is one day raided by mercenaries and, taking up his farming scythe, he attempts to defend his home. He manages to kill a couple but early on he's gravely injured and collapses. On the verge of death, he sees a demon appear before him who asks if he'd give up his soul in exchange for a chance to avenge his people. He accepts, and Dennis is revived, invigorated with a dark half-life and unholy power. He is told that his soul has been ignited by a black flame, granting him immense power, yet not immortality, and if he does not succeed in his vengeance and feed the souls of the raiders to the black flame in enough time it will consume his soul entirely and he will perish.

Dennis hunts down the raiders with his new powers and slaughters them, feeding their souls to the black flame within. Congratulating him, the demon appears once more. This time he tells Dennis that even though the flame is fed, it will eventually burn him away body and soul, and if he wishes to fix this there is a final test to prove his worth; slay Vlad the Impaler.

Dennis accepts, having little choice, and travels off to slay the Impaler, gaining greater power with each soul he harvests on the way until finally he reaches the warlord. The two battle, and Vlad is struck down. The demon appears to reward Dennis, fully igniting the black flame to incinerate his soul and burn away every part of his body except his bones. The flames fall over his form, forming a black cloak, and his scythe is transformed into an unholy weapon of Hell.
>>
>>4089593
Confused, Death feels as if he is now shackled more than ever despite being immortal, and the demon takes its true form. It was Vlad all along, only Vlad's true demonic form Dracula. He had sought a proper servant capable of besting his mortal incarnation and now he'd found one who had willingly forfeited his soul. It had been Vlad who sent the raiders, and Dracula now owned Death. Though Dracula's incarnations may die again and again, Death would always follow, serving each one for eternity.
>>
>>4088813
PoR was lame, especially when you get to the 2nd set of paintings that are a retread of the 1st set, and also the circus levels were a huge pain in the ass. Also Charlotte felt too incomplete compared to Jonathan. At least it had the best alt-character modes.

After all this time my favorite is probably CotM. It's got the closest thing to a perfect mix of classic platforming-whipping action from the old games and the rpg exploration style of the less old games. It was pretty challenging thanks to the small arsenal and the fact that the only way to get anything was through enemy drops, it also had lots of replay value with all the extra modes (a Hugh mode would probably not have been as fun), sick remixes of old tracks, and it had its own beautiful art direction instead of taking assets from previous games. It's kind of amazing how far from being a SotN clone it is, especially considering the following game.
>>
>>4088946
>To eat food in Symphony of the night, you have to equip it like a weapon, throw it in battle, and then walk into it.

Finally someone said it.
This was so idiotic, they messed up Inventory 101 with something so simple as using something.
>>
>>4089641
The circus levels are some of the best levels in Castlevania history. They're fucking awesome.

>>4089662
>eating a peanut

No, but who really used food to heal anyhow? It was just a cute novelty.
>>
>>4089663
This applies to all the other usables as well.
Instead of just outright using them you had to equip them and actually use them in battle.

What the actual fuck.
>>
>>4089701
So? The game is piss easy, maybe they figured it'd increase the challenge slightly. Only food made you throw it out in front and grab it, things like potions would activate instantly.
>>
The only thing the Saturn version did right was add an extra equipment slot for items.
>>
>>4089593
I wanna see a spinoff where you play as Dracula and it's sorta like dungeon keeper except 2D.
>>
>>4089420
Patrician taste
>>
>>4089420

You mean that they throw BS at you once in a while and you're offered the choice to cheat it through it when using real money, and that your number of 1ups is limited and refills with time?

Yeah, I don't think SotN is like that at all either.
>>
File: 1982597-blue_parrot2.jpg (44KB, 300x407px) Image search: [Google]
1982597-blue_parrot2.jpg
44KB, 300x407px
>>4089420
>criticizes difficulty of SotN
>praises AoS and OoE even though they have the same laughable difficulty

Your contrarian opinions are so unique and bold anon, simply ebin
>>
Personally, my favorite is the one that is currently considered the least popular or worst

My least favorite is the one that is currently considered the most popular or best, or that people actually enjoy playing

/thread, go home, you have now experienced every CV thread this board will ever produce
>>
File: maria-turtle.jpg (18KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
maria-turtle.jpg
18KB, 320x320px
>>4089420

If it's so easy, where's your Richter mode all bosses RTA video?
>>
File: spot_the_retard.png (211KB, 1264x653px) Image search: [Google]
spot_the_retard.png
211KB, 1264x653px
For some reason, Harmony of Dissonance
>>
Did that PoR map size count the maps you have to backtrack in?
>>
Classicvania >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Circle of the Moon>Order of Ecclesia> Symphony of the Night (if only for the aesthetics/OST)>>>>the rest>dog shit>Harmony of Dissonance
>>
>>4089397
Except that the PSP version is objectively worse.
>>
File: udderly_disgusting.png (180KB, 308x539px) Image search: [Google]
udderly_disgusting.png
180KB, 308x539px
>liking any RPGvania
>>
>>4090678
>let me shill SotN garbage even more
>>
>>4091028
Only the pyramid level was recycled, the others had completely different layouts.

And yes, it includes everything, and I believe I included Brauner's studio as well
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.