[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

love this game. about to play through it for the first time in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

File: 300px-Papermario.png (136KB, 300x208px) Image search: [Google]
300px-Papermario.png
136KB, 300x208px
love this game. about to play through it for the first time in ages. what do you guys usually cap your hp and fp at? i've never tried it with most of the levels in bp, but I figure that's the best way to make it fun going in as an adult.
>>
>>4087123
Wut?
>>
I usually just up each one every third level. So basically HP at the first level, FP at the second, and BP at the third. Then back to HP.

How do cope with the first hour or so of Paper Mario, it's such a slog. Every time I turn it on to start a new file I get so bored.
>>
I'm playing through now and I'm using badges that let me do more damage when hurt. I'm going to try to finish the game with 15 HP total and put the rest in FP (and fully upgrade badges which I do every playthrough).
>>
>>4087685
Whenever I play a game I always duplicate a save right after the tutorial
>>
>>4087123
is this the best paper mario game?
is it better than any other mario rpg?
>>
>not putting all points in BP until it caps then all points in FP until it caps
>>
>>4087708
I haven't played Paper Mario in a while, but is it possible to max out all badges? I remember the game doesn't let you grind for points, once you're too strong for certain enemies, they will stop giving you exp.
>>
>>4087708
Danger Mario is great in Paper Mario. Not as overpowered as in TTYD, but still good.
>>
>>4087717
Max level is 27
>>
>>4087706
honestly, it's really too different to compare. rpg is more like the m&l series asthetically and as an rpg imo.
>>
>>4087123
Danger Mario all day erry day. If you can stand the annoying beeping, of course.
>>
max out BP desu, no reason not to put points in BP instead of HP/FP when you can always just use HP/FP plus badges for the equivalent amount, plus BP gives you way, way more options for a fun playthrough. after that i'd probably start to split HP and FP a little bit
>>
>>4087706
Well ... most Mario RPGs aren't /vr/-related so I'll spoiler it just in case.
PM:Thousand Year Door is very much like the first Paper Mario so if you love the N64 one then it's right up your alley.
Super Paper Mario is considered to be a disappointment because it's more like a platformer that pays "hommage" to the first Super Mario Bros. constantly. It has an interesting story though.
Haven't played Sticker Star and Color Splash yet but from what I've seen and heard it follows the path Super Paper Mario went in so not sure if you'll like it.
Mario and Luigi: Super Star Saga is very tutorial heavy and so are its sequels (Partners in Time and Bowser's Inside Story) but at least they've got traditional styled turn based battles so if you're into JRPGs in general you might like them.
Haven't played the later M&L games but they don't seem very different gameplay wise.

Super Mario RPG is considered one of the best SNES RPGs because it's so accessible and, like later mario RPGs, is more action based. I think it feels barebones gameplay wise but the music and the visuals are nice so there's that.

If you'd ask me personally, I like Super Paper Mario the most but that's because I'm a bigger Mario than a RPG fan.
>>
>>4087718
>Danger mario for all 100 floors of pit of trials

Just one fuckup and you're dead. I hardly ever feel that tense in any game I play.
>>
>>4090641
I want to just add a little bit onto what you said.

Sticker Star is closer to an RPG than Super Paper Mario, but it's biggest flaw lies in it's Battle system. Mario doesn't gain levels from battling and his attacks use up stickers, which you have to collect. Together, those 2 mechanics make it so the game actually discourages you from fighting regular enemies so you can save all of your stickers for the bosses. Combine that with a mediocre story and the overworked being divided into levels instead of being continuous and you have a recipient for a very mediocre game.
Color Splash, from what I hear, seems to have some pretty good writing, but still suffers in the game mechanics department.
The Mario and Luigi series are all around great. The stories are pretty funny and
the battle systems work well and are a nice change from more traditional JRPGs. I can't speak for anything beyond Bowser's Inside Story, but those first 3 games are great for sure.
>>
>>4091296
>Color Splash, from what I hear, seems to have some pretty good writing
It doesn't, it's gearbox-tier. If it wasn't for how nauseating the writing is (and how tedious the battle system becomes) the game might have been a solid 5/10, too, which sucks.
>>
>>4091709
That's pretty disappointing desu.
>>
>>4090641
>Haven't played the later M&L games but they don't seem very different gameplay wise.
The one where Paper Mario joins the Mario Bros is a fucking masterpiece but GOD, the cardboard battles are a pain in the ass until you get Fire Mario cardboard robot.
>>
i thoight paper mario sucked compared to mario rpg am i wrong?

do u guys love paper mario like u love mario rpg?
>>
>>4090641
Sticker Star was just a horrific insult. It's basically Paper Mario, but without all of the things that make it Paper Mario. Heavily reduced RPG elements, no partners, no badges, no interesting characters, no leveling, etc...it feels like a fangame, but even a fangame would probably do better.

Color Splash is more of the same, from what I've seen.

>>4092297
Is it that good? Everything after the first two games lost my interest due to the attacks becoming overly complex and just taking way too long. The 3rd and 4th games, I got like 30-40% of the way through them before just losing all interest.

Sure, the first couple of times you do the special attacks, they're fun to watch and execute. But having to do that shit all the time gets real tedious real fast.

I loved the shit out of the first game, it was just amazing. The second one was also pretty decent.
>>
>>4092397
I wouldn't say it's a masterpiece, but it is definitely good. I can understand the attacks being overly complex, though, some of them definitely get fucking annoying. You don't really have to do them though, just find the few you nail easy every time and don't bother with the rest.

It's also got a new fucking tutorial every 5 minutes which gets old after a while, but the game's fun when it isn't trying to hold your hand.

You mentioned getting partway through both 3 and 4, to be honest I'd say if you didn't like either then you might not like Paper Jam either, but it does have some different mechanics than bowser's inside story and dream team. I didn't really like dream team either, but mostly because it borrowed every single fucking game mechanic from bowser's inside story, so it felt like it lacked all originality.
>>
>>4092376
I think Paper Mario felt less out of place in the Mario world with it's plot and character designs, but overall, I'm more likely to want to come back and replay SMRPG than any of the Paper Mario games. It's probably nostalgia talking though since SMRPG was my first RPG and I never owned my own copy of Paper Mario until it came to Wii VC.

Real shame they're turning all the Mario RPGs into creatively dead NSMB style games.
>>
I did a 10hp run with double pain badge equipped in TTYD. Been planning on doing a 10hp run for the original the next time I play through it. Or at least keeping it at 10 until BP and FP are maxed.
>>
I max BP and use the HP and FP plus badges when I need them.
>>
>>4095014

This pretty much

You can easily replenish HP and FP with items
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.