[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I keep reading on /vr/ and other in the know places that the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

File: 68-181-037-22.jpg (26KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
68-181-037-22.jpg
26KB, 640x480px
I keep reading on /vr/ and other in the know places that the Retron 5 is bad. What exactly is bad about it?

Not trolling, seriously want to know.
>>
File: Retrofacts.jpg (982KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
Retrofacts.jpg
982KB, 1680x1050px
TL;DR it has no value.

>But it plays all my old games
It's running a stolen retroarch so it's no better than just running a retro pie
>But it uses original cartridges
It dumps the rom and runs a copy of your game making it no different than downloading the rom and running it on some shitty emulator for your phone.
>But it's nifty and cool!
It has a fuckload of input lag and the controller has even more lag than a retropi that isn't overclocking.
>B-But it's cool!
You're a faggot.
>>
>>4086096
>$100 for a raspberry pi

Even in Australia they don't cost that much
>>
>>4086054
>I keep reading but I don't know why it's bad
Reading comprehension problems?
>>
>>4086130

If you just get barebones sure.

But with decent accessories including a not-shit gamepad that wasn't made with cheap chinese budget-o-matic that's about right.
>>
>>4086096
>TL;DR it has no value
It makes for good shitposting.
>>
Saw one set up at a store, tryed playing it, there were all sorts of controller issues, movement bugs, delayed inputs, visual glitchs it was disgusting, gave me and a friend a good kek and walked away
>>
>>4086054
buy a retrofreak, if you want emulation. faggot
>>
>>4086180
see image in
>>4086096
>>
>>4086054
Just collect the individual consoles hunt for the cheap deals and catch them all before the market booms and skyrockets out of control (already happened for certain games)
Don't you want to own the original consoles?
Don't you like games?
Don't you have your entire life to build a godtier collection?

>Protip
Unplug everything when your finished playing EVERY time, the ancient units capacitors are notorious for failing or leaking this will alleviate wear and tear
>>
>>4086204
Don't tell her what to do.
>>
>>4086096
You should probably have the 'Wii' option on that chart, since it's basically cheaper than all the alternatives, and people are fairly likely to have one already.
>>
>>4086096
What's the deal with input lag? Can you explain it to me?
>>
>>4086424
It's essentially a sub-second measured delay between your 'input' (button presses), and the corresponding action taking place on screen. On original hardware paired with a CRT, input lag is essentially a non-issue. Emulators introduce an additional amount of lag that varies with the quality of the emulator, but the biggest issue in >current year is that LCD/modern HDTV technology inherently has a great magnitude more input lag, or what is probably more accurately described as 'output lag' as the screens process and display information far more slowly than an analog CRT television. That's why devices like Framemesiters are so expensive, they take the processing portion away from your TV set and perform it in the box, and while they significantly reduce the lag, it's still more than an analog setup would have. For a lot of games, it's not a huge deal; I play almost everything on a hacked Wii with a wiimote/classic controller wireless combo, but if I switch back to my Famicom and CRT, I can feel how the lag impacts a game I know very well, like Super Mario Bros. for example. It's not 'game-breaking' for many games, and most folks can easily adapt to the altered 'feel', but for games with frame-specific timing (Punch-Out!! is usually trotted out as the main example), it can make the game far more difficult. That's why speed-runners and exploiters often use original hardware and CRTs, since it's the only way to accurately pull-off some of the more advanced techniques required for their exploits. Exceptions exist of course, and since it has a lot to do with 'fee' it can impact different people in different ways, but that's kind of a broad overview.
>>
>>4086451
Thanks for the long explanation. But I don't notice that much of a lag even when I am using emulators on my lcd screen.
>>
>>4086458
Yeah, there's a million different variables that can affect it, and a lot of it depends on the person too. I have a hacked Wii hooked to a CRT in my room, and another one with with an HDMI adapter for my HDTV in the living room. I also have a shit-ton of real hardware and flashcarts, but since I live in a one-bedroom apartment, emulation is convenient and takes up less space while I store all my real stuff in the closet for now. It's all about what works for you at any given time, as long as you're enjoying the games, who cares?
>>
>>4086304
FUCK YOU I WILL DO WHAT HE TELLS ME
>>
>>4086096

Needs a box for the Wii, almost everybody has one and it's one of the best solutions for CRT/LCD alike as it has no inherent input lag on its own, unlike the Pi.
>>
>>4086476
>as long as you're enjoying the games, who cares?
Man, I wish more people think that way.
>>
>>4086572
I love my original hardware, it's just not always practical. At the end of the day, I just want to play a game. If I had everything I own set up in one room ready to go, sure I'd prefer the real deal, but with my current situation (lack of space), nothing beats the convenience of the Wii, and I can still get a legit CRT experience from it too. 13" CRT in the bedroom, 32" HDTV (small I know) in the living room, and a 24" low-lag 'gaming' monitor on my desk that's wired into an HDMI splitter with the TV setup. it's not a bad rig, and my Wii consoles were like $10 or less each. I've started just picking them up when I see them, might rig some up as gifts for friends.
>>
File: 65465.png (853KB, 1085x800px) Image search: [Google]
65465.png
853KB, 1085x800px
>>4086180
>Unironically recommending retro freak
>>
>>4086054
If you want one, get one OP it does. If you can buy the original controllers so input lag will be reduced and make sure to keep the damn firm-ware updated.
>>
File: 62957852.png (123KB, 634x354px) Image search: [Google]
62957852.png
123KB, 634x354px
>>4086451
Fukken quality post
>>
>>4087124
why thank you, anon
>>
Quick question:

I use a VGA CRT monitor with my emulator PC, but I still notice input lag; in fact, it seems about the same as when I use an LCD monitor. It's a noticeably difference between that an a real console and television.

Is this pretty much all coming from the emulators (e.g. FECUX and BSNES, running in Windows 7)?
>>
>>4086458
Depending on the LCD, the lag can be as little as 20ms, or as high as 125ms.

i had a particularly bad vizio LCD with 80ms lag.
That means it took almost a FULL SECOND for my actions to appear on screen.

I tried to make due with it, but several games were unplayable.

I used up getting a plasma with 6-12ms of lag and I've had it for almost 6 years now.
>>
>>4087247

Heh, never mind; fucking Nvidia settings had scaling on as default. Turned that off and now there's no trace of any lag.
>>
>>4086174
>Chinks churn out billions of useless gadgets that have literally no value regarding intended use
>Only value comes from meta discussion, shitposting and maymays on a tibetan sand mandala enthusiast discussion board
>People buy these pieces of shit just to be ironic

Wew, what a time to be alive
>>
>>4088131
I doubt they are being ironic, just ignorant.

Most people do not understand that software emulation consoles do not offer any legit difference between running a rom and emulator on your PC. They just assume it's more authentic because they have to use real game cartridges and have no comprehension of the inner workings.

That's what people say when they claim retron has "no value". It offers nothing that you can't get for free. Contrary to OG hardware or acceptable clones like the trio, which offer an analog signal through a CRT so that games can be played without input lag which is what the developers at the time intended. Any clone system that does not do this is a worthless piece of trash and you might as well just play shit on a hacked PSP or whatever.
>>
>>4088131
>People buy these pieces of shit just to be ironic
At this rate I'm convinced the majority of sales for these things are just people doing reviews for them on youtube.
>>
>>4089013

Knowing these crazy times, you are probably correct. I feel like I'm living in the realm of the insane half the time.
>>
So is there a reason why I can't apply IPS patches to ROMs and play them from a flash cart on real hardware?

>>4089013
These fuckers say the Retron5 is a translation machine:
https://youtu.be/eh3N2Msdmgc

It seems like the blame for stolen emulators and frontends were the fault of the previous engineers, yet they still sell this machine to this day (interview at 17:51):
https://youtu.be/w-G5AV0cwYQ?t=17m51s
>>
I have used a Retron 5 everyday at work to demo games since they came out, and ultimately I am a very big fan of them. I don't emulate games, so this is perfect for when I don't feel like plugging in my actual consoles. The wireless controller it comes with is garbage, but you can buy a genesis controller for five bucks and that fixes any lag you might have. The upscaling on it works great and looks better than any other similar machine.
>>
>>4086451
excpet that original hardware has all the same ~3 frame input lag that you can get on accurate emu+good LCD.

Measured by the same guy that did initial research into input lag, using the same methods.

If you have non-shit LCD, and know how to setup an emulator, input lag won't be an issue.
>>
File: CtZJ7XPUAAArEZQ.jpg (60KB, 840x1200px) Image search: [Google]
CtZJ7XPUAAArEZQ.jpg
60KB, 840x1200px
>>4086054
I don't mind it. I haven't had serious issues and its good for casually playing my collection when I don't want to wrestle with cables and tvs...
>>
The Retron 5 is a fantastic machine for backing up cartridge saves.

Running the games? Not so much.
>>
>>4086096
Retro Pi has tons of lag.
>>
>>4090129
>I have used a Retron 5 everyday
>I don't emulate games

Hue
>>
>>4086096
The RetroFreak isn't cartridge-dependent, you can just load the SD card and it will play downloaded ROMs, unlike the Retron 5. Also you can use any USB controller with it.

Not that I'm advocating its use, but just making it clear for the sake of a true comparison with the fucking Retron.
>>
>>4090328
Zero sense or zero brains
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.