[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys. Just got a game boy for $5 and I'm wondering how

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

File: 20170625_174807.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170625_174807.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
Hey guys. Just got a game boy for $5 and I'm wondering how to get the yellowing off. I heard about hydrogen peroxide gel, but what's your advice? Is the yellowing the same as a snes?
>>
>>4080857
Also sorry about sideways picture. Thought it was fine ¯\_(•_•)_/¯
>>
>>4080857
you can't, it's not a coating, it's part of the plastic.
>>
>>4080865
Shit really?
>>
Indoor smokers are the worst. That shit is the plastic itself yellowed, not some sort of stuck-on crap.

Fortunately, replacement shells are $5 online. Super cheap and easy to replace.
>>
>>4080857
Adam Koralik has done videos on removing yellowing
>>
>>4080871
Yes, apparently it's a flame retardant added to the plastic that causes this. If it really activates your almonds, you can get replacement cases on Amazon or eBay.
>>
>>4080943
>>4080880
>>4080879
Thanks for the help. I'll probably buy a replacement. While on the topic, does anyone know if I can buy screen replacements. It's got lines going through it.
>>
>>4080857
Good deal, but you need to get yourself a Pocket
>>
You can definitely get the yellow out of a GB case. Remove the case completely, dunk it in some peroxide, dry it in the sun and repeat until it's white enough to suit you. If some of the yellowing IS from smoke or other particles, Oxy-clean or similar will brighten it noticeably real fast.

As far as replacing the screen it's not really modular and pretty much is a case of replacing all the innards plus yours is missing the plexi screen cover - unless that (cheap part) is what you mean has "lines" in it but I feel like you mean the display.

So yeah, between yellow case, no plexi and bad guts it's pretty worthless. Maybe make a lamp out of it to trigger /vr/ or something. Put your weed in it.
>>
>>4081031
Yeah it's the actual screen that has lines. Well shit. Now I know why it was $5. I might see if I can get my money back from a used game store.
>>
>>4081031
Or I could turn it into a retropie machine ¯\_(•~•)_/¯
>>
>>4080857
Peroxide gel works fine. But it looks to be in pretty shit shape. Does it even work? How fucked in the screen?
>>
>>4081050
It does work. The only that needs to be fixed is the screen. And obviously the box that goes around the screen. I took some rubbing alcohol to it and it seems to be taking the glue off
>>
I heard retrobrite makes the plastic brittle.
Frankly I don't mind that my snes has gone yellow, its mine from childhood and it tells a story of sorts
>>
>>4081031
I haven't opened it up yet and know almost nothing about the game boy, but isn't it soldered on to the board like other hand helds?
>>
File: 71yXN-pRBEL._AC_SL1500_[1].jpg (178KB, 1500x938px) Image search: [Google]
71yXN-pRBEL._AC_SL1500_[1].jpg
178KB, 1500x938px
>>4081045
Yep definitely an option. You can cut out the part of the PCB with the button contacts on it instead of paying $10 for pic related which I just now discovered even exists, and has capacity for 4 buttons.

That's interesting. Between that and the cheap availability of repro shells you can build a handheld that looks and feels just like a Game Boy without using a single real part.
>>
File: DSC3705[1].jpg (436KB, 1280x851px) Image search: [Google]
DSC3705[1].jpg
436KB, 1280x851px
>>4081137
The screen? There's a ribbon cable but the screen has its own sub-board and I don't see any ebay listings for a replacement. Maybe you can fix it but I dunno why they get the lines.

I dropped my DMG-01 on the floor of my parents' garage when it was brand new (the garage, not the GB so it would have been like 1990) and got the lines. Nintendo did a free warranty repair on it. Service departments were more customer focused back then.
>>
>>4081160
I imagine dead pixels cause the lines
>>
>>4081058
>the screen
Unfortunately 100% of inexperienced people who try to fix this only make it worse requiring a replacement.
>>
>>4081160
Do you think I could replace the screen with an LCD screen that you would find on a retropie console?
>>
>>4081045
Dont gut a working gameboy for that tacky shit.
>>
>>4081191
Dead pixels are usually pixels. Lines seem like some kind of component failure but I dunno what-which.

>>4081195
Nope.
>>
>>4081237
Vertical lines going dead is a common issue; my ancient Game Boy has the same problem. Supposedly it's due to the data ribbon getting loose. You need to re-solder it:

http://www.retrofixes.com/2013/07/fix-vertical-lines-in-gameboy-screens.html
>>
>>4081245
Alright thanks. Now all I need to do is buy a tri wing screwdriver and a replacement screen cover. I already have the soldering iron.
>>
>>4081206
If the screen is fucked the screen is fucked. What makes a difference if he guts it?
>>
>>4081267
He can repair it. Gameboy replacement screens are pretty common.
>>
>>4081275
Oh fuck I just saw >>4081245 post
>>
File: 20170625_212919.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170625_212919.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
Good news is that I finally got all the glue surrounding the screen off. I'll probably order the screwdriver I need and replacement screen cover tomorrow and grab peroxide gel as well.
>>
>>4081337
Cool. At least a cosmetic non-problem that no one would ever see has been sorted.
>>
>>4081116

It makes the surface brittle, and with each use a bit more, but the GB and retro console shells in general are so fuck big that that doesn't really affect stability. There is still so much normal material holding the thing together.
>>
>>4080951
A lot of the info in this thread is wrong, OP. GameBoys are pretty easy to repair most of the time. Only a few things can kill them, and yours doesn't look dead to me. You can find lots of tutorials on YouTube for any of this stuff.

vertical lines of pixels on the screen usually mean that the solder joints on the ribbon cable are damaged. They can be repaired by rubbing the cable with a soldering iron where it meets the main board. Horizontal lines can't be fixed. Scratches can't be fixed.

New screen lenses (the plastic screen protector bit that you're missing) are easy to find. You can get them on eBay, but there are also a few websites dedicated to aftermarket GameBoy parts that have cool custom stuff. You can even get glass ones if you want.

New shells are cheap and easy to find, but they mostly don't feel as good as the original. You can whiten your current case using plain ol perioxide or a peroxide-based hair bleaching gel and some good ol fashioned UV, either from blacklights or the sun. Again, YouTube, Reddit, and Google can tell you which kind to buy. Be warned that this can possibly fade the printed blue text. Some of the yellowing will come back over the course of a year or two, but it'll still look better than it did at first.

Yes you can stuff a retropie in there, but it's kinda involved and expensive and I don't feel like writing up a guide.
>>
>>4080879
it's not from indoor smoking, my SNES is yellow as fuck
>>
>>4082861
You've pretty much described everything I was gonna do lol. But the part I'm missing, it's like an actual protector? I've never had an original gameboy before. That's pretty awesome. I thought it was just there for decoration. I was also worried that the black looked more like blue, but I've played it a lot recently and it seems fine now.
>>
where did you get that from?
>>
>>4085948
Value village
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.