[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How bad was the "Classic NES Series" on the Game

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 9

How bad was the "Classic NES Series" on the Game Boy Advance?
>>
I only had a few and they were good but really most of the good NES games were remade for the GBA so why bother?
>>
>>4080418
Not bad at all, barring super-autism about the inevitable resolution difference

>>4080434
What a dumb thing to say
>>
File: IMG_4131.jpg (55KB, 480x306px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4131.jpg
55KB, 480x306px
>>4080434
Imagine being the piece of shit who thought that looked better than this.
>>
>>4080418
They're good
>>
>>4080459
Tell me why you would rather go replay the classic NES gba version of Metroid when you could play Zero Mission?
>>
Pretty good actually
>>
>>4080483
Not him, but maybe because they're not the same 1:1, the NES original is still its own game.
>>
>>4080483
because zero mission is a remake of super
>>
A lot of people in this thread mentioning Zero Mission as a remake and completely forgetting the fact that you could unlock the entire NES Metroid within Zero Mission and it plays exactly like the NES Classic version of Metroid for GBA. Whether or not Zero Mission is faithful or a good remake is totally irrelevant considering you literally get the original version of the game with it.
>>
>>4080418
Hit or miss. Castlevania was a good conversion, but Super Mario Bros was not.
>>
>>4080497
There is that, but I think you have to beat the game first?

Anyhow, it's not so much whether the remake is good or bad, as it is that it's effectively a completely different game that happens to have (mostly) the same plot.
>>
File: 1488458160740.jpg (22KB, 468x357px) Image search: [Google]
1488458160740.jpg
22KB, 468x357px
>>4080492
......Not sure if retarded or autistic.....
>>
>>4080434
>most of the good NES games were remade for the GBA
No they weren't, and of the few NES games that were remade for the GBA, they were all made worse.

>>4080483
Because Zero Mission is at best a reimagining, not a remake.
>>
>>4080483
Dai Grepher: Because Zero Mission is not a remake of Metroid 1, but a prequel. Dai Grepher 06:35, 26 June 2017 (UTC)
>>
File: IMG_0360.jpg (134KB, 660x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0360.jpg
134KB, 660x960px
>>4081451
A prequel? How so?
It's literally a re-telling of Metroid 1, how is this a prequel? Are you mentally disabled? Please be bait
>>
>>4080781
Keep telling yourself that.
>>
>>4081451
>>4080781
>>4080487

You stupid fucks. You unlock the original NES version of Metroid after you beat Zero mission.
>>
>>4082859
Zero Mission is better anyways. I can never go back to Classic Metroid after playing that. The fact you have an actual in game map helps IMMENSELY.

An idea of where to go helps also for newcomers.
>>
>>4082959
>idea of where to go

it's shit
>>
>>4080418
Not bad at all. At the time they dropped, this was one of the easier ways to play NES games on the go. Nowadays they aren't worth it and just collectors items.
>>
A little off-topic here but why did every GBA port of a SNES game have a fatal flaw that killed the experience?

SMB3 with WOOHOO JUST WHAT I NEEDED
A Link to the Past with the zoomed in perspective and OOT screams no one asked for
Yoshi's Island, again with a butchered perspective and more compressed music

And so on. Why was it so hard to just port a SNES game to the GBA 1:1?
>>
>>4082959

I actually used to think this way until recently. I like Zero mission, but it's too much of an on rails experience. I'd rather play the NES original.
>>
>>4080418
In terms of ports they were pretty much perfectly fine all things considered. Their only issue was being a nes game sold at full retail price in fucking 2002 or whenever these came out.
>>
>>4082989
I haven't played many SNES ports on the GBA but Link to the Past was fine. SMW was terrible on the GBA though imo. The button placement just seemed off
>>
>>4082989
If you were 4, you'd like it, and that's who Nintendo had in mind. Other companies did good ports, like Super Ghouls 'n' Ghosts.
>>
>>4083052
Yeah, this was the main thing. Each game was $20, so it didn't seem worth it to me.
>>
>>4083068
>>4083052
Nowadays they're good for flash carts, since they're pretty much guaranteed to be better than emulating.
>>
>>4083062
>Other companies did good ports, like Super Ghouls 'n' Ghosts.
The port of Mega Man and Bass was nearly unplayable though, not that you would have known at the time being that Rockman and Forte was originally exclusive to the SFC and never localized in America or Europe.
>>
>>4082989
>And so on. Why was it so hard to just port a SNES game to the GBA 1:1?
Resolution difference, so if you didn't want to butcher the spritework you had to lower the visible area. Obviously how well that works depends on the game, it's not really a big deal with ALTTP and the FF ports but it makes the platformers almost unplayable.
>>
>>4082859
Yes. After. Because Zero Mission is a prequel.
>>
>>4083453
you dense motherfucker that's not the point

Why would you buy the NES Metroid game for GBA when Zero Mission also has it AND Zero Mission?
>>
>>4082989
>A Link to the Past with the zoomed in perspective and OOT screams no one asked for

I played it and got used to the zoom in, I knew it was a physical hardware restriction, but yeah no the OoT screaming was not welcome.
>>
>>4083474
calm down, he's just trying to bait you. Go have some cocoa and cool off man
>>
>>4080469
whos the girl on the left & why were japs trying to push muh diversity into metroid
>>
>>4083542
Metroid is a grill, anon.
>>
>>4080418
I don't regret it being my first playthrough of Zelda 1.
>>
>>4080418
GBA is not retro
>>
>>4083590
Yes it is. And if it wasn't, NES is.
>>
>>4083590
Remakes and ports on newer hardware is allowed. Zero Mission for the GBA and Samus Returns on the 3DS is as /vr/ related as their original counterparts.

>>4083624
>Yes it is
No, it isn't. GBA is a 6th gen handheld. Only 5th gen or prior hardware is allowed on /vr/, with the exception of the Dreamcast.
>>
>>4083641
/vr/ doesn't dictate what each individual considers retro. The last GBA game is over a decade old; to me, that's retro.
>>
>>4083660
>/vr/ doesn't dictate what each individual considers retro
Who gives a shit what you think? The rules are clear on the topic. No post 5th gen hardware with the exception of the Dreamcast. Your opinion plays no factor in how moderators run this board.

>The last GBA game is over a decade old; to me, that's retro.
Good for you. Take it to /v/ where it belongs, according to the rules stickied on the first page.
>>
>>4083670
Who wiped their smegma in your cereal this morning? The mods aren't your senpai, you don't have to defend them with your life.
>>
>>4082989
You forgot the horrible DKC ports
>>
>>4082989
I've only played Link to the Past on GBA and its one of my fav Zelda games
>>
>>4080483
Because the NES Metroid is actually good.
>>
>>4083474
Because Zero Mission fucking sucks. Why throw money at that shit?
>>
>>4082989
The voices were tolerable in World and SMB3 I felt, just SMB2 was overkill. Also R to spin jump feels way better in World in my opinion.

The DKC ports though, those were messes. Only 3 isn't a total waste of time.
>>
The only port/remakes on the GBA that I found better than the originals were Shining Force 1 and Final Fantasy V.
They did a good job with the quality of music and sound in those too, especially in comparison to most other gba games.
>>
>>4083976
>They did a good job with the quality of music
>FFV
what?

It is a good port otherwise though.
>>
>>4083641
So remakes like FE: Echoes, Samus Returns and Pokemon Heartgold are allowed here?
>>
>>4084010
Yes. It's a little bit strange, but it's entirely allowed to discuss them. Don't let any screeching autist convince you otherwise.

A good handful of anons don't mind bringing up non-/vr/ games either way; just don't go making a thread about them.
>>
Another quality /vr/ thread.
>>
File: Pointmaking_Al.jpg (16KB, 300x222px) Image search: [Google]
Pointmaking_Al.jpg
16KB, 300x222px
>>4084013
So isn't the GBA a retro system then as it's technically a remake of a retro system?
>>
>>4084019
Go to /v/ for about half an hour, you'll come back thankful for threads like this.
>>
>>4084019
Anon #1: "I'm more autistic!"
Anon #2: "No, I'm more autistic!"
>>
File: $_57 (2).jpg (47KB, 500x657px) Image search: [Google]
$_57 (2).jpg
47KB, 500x657px
My dream has always been this release as a classic nes series in the west.
>>
>>4080483
And when NES Metroid was included with Zero Mission for free.
>>
>>4083917

>zero mission sucks

I wonder what its like to be this wrong
>>
>>4080434
Is pic related better than fusion?
>>
>>4084036
Wjy everyone says /v/ is so bad? Never went there cause most of the game posted don't interest me.
>>
>>4084206
Almost everyone, including me, would say so. Fusion is not terrible though.
>>
>>4084216
I read that fusion is a pretty linear game, that's what stopped me the most to play the game.
>>
>defending paying 20 bucks for 1 rom per cartridge

You all are some of the dumbest cucks on the planet.
>>
>>4084036
>Hey guys what do you think about nes classics
>NO, METROID AUTISM

Shove your unwarranted elitism up your pisshole, nigger. This place is /v/ with a limit on how old shit is to talk about.
>>
>>4083826
I don't think it was horrible, but it suffered like all the GBA ports, screen crunch and compressed music
>>
>>4084227
It is quite linear but it's still very good. The horror elements of the game are cool
>>
>>4084227
The linearity of the game lends itself to the horror, as, spoilers if you know absolutely nothing about it, the SA-X, a parasite mimicking your old suit, has all the old powers you used to have, including the ability to navigate the area nonlinear-ly.
>>
>>4084212
It's pretty much /b/ - videogames edition.
It's filled with people who embrace the worst of 4chan culture and won't take anything seriously.
>>
>>4082989
Nintendo usually likes to jump the gun on system ports. The SNES ports would have been better if they were released on the DS instead of the GBA.

Super Mario 64 DS and Diddy Kong Racing DS would've been far better if they were released on the 3DS, like OoT3D and MM3D.
>>
>>4084249
>1 rom per cartridge
I giggled a little
>>
>>4084990
So it's basically a le quirky board?
>>
>>4084990
True, but a lot of people on /vr/ are hyper autistic elitists who take shit way too seriously. Arguably worse than some of the more pretentious leddit communities. The amount of "normies just don't get me" shit that's present here is pretty unbearable at times.
>>
>>4084260
>NO, METROID AUTISM
There's your problem. I don't think you understand how fucking wretched the Metroid fanbase is, regardless of where they crop up or which board they frequent. And even they are worse on /v/, /v/ is a shithole of a board but the Metroid threads there are a special kind of dumpster fire.
>>
>>4085276
They certainly are a dramatic bunch.
>series misses one (1) single console generation
>baawww nintendo haaaates us, series is dead forever

As if the last time it missed a console generation it didn't get fucking give games the following generation.
>>
>>4082996
You can skip bosses and do alternate routes and low % routes. The game is really fucking amazing, especially when you get good at wall jumping and bomb jumping
>>
>>4085286
The real dead series is F-Zero. But nintendo doesn't give a fuck about it.
>>
>>4085241
I know it's a different thing, but I look at some of the autism flare-ups and sperg-outs here the same way I'd get passionate about a game when I had to stand up for it as a kid. If I were still passionate about this stuff I'd devolve to the same banter and be glad to have it returned. I wouldn't shit on /vr/ for giving too much of a shit, even if the arguments are schoolbus tier. It makes sense to me here. Still more fun than /v/
>>
>>4085291

It had like six games in gen six, I think they just burned out on F-zero for a little bit. It'll be back eventually, shiggy can only use so many bullshit excuses before it returns.

A dead series is something like Star Tropics or Adventures of Lolo that hasn't been seen since the NES, and even that's not truly dead if Kid Icarus and Punch Out have taught us anything.
>>
>>4085289
Ntm how so many people overlook the godsend that is
D I A G O N A L
B O M B
J U M P I N G
>>
>>4085028
Was Diddy Kong Racing DS a port? I was under the impression it was a sequel.
>>
>>4083052
Even Nintendo Power didn't give them great scores. IIRC the only one out of the initial lineup they recommended was Zelda.
>>
>>4085331
Punch Out only missed N64 and Gamecube.
>>
>>4085415
Nope. A port. A shitty one at that.
>>
The only one I \'ve played that wasn't worth the money was Donkey Kong, because it was just three levels.
>>
>>4085423
And F-Zero has only missed Wii and Wii U so far
>>
>>4085415
>>4085441
It was a remake, using different models and with some few different characters.
>>
Wolf3d was fucking great on gba, just it gave me headaches after a while
>>
File: Nightmare.png (7KB, 127x146px) Image search: [Google]
Nightmare.png
7KB, 127x146px
>>4084227
I put off playing Fusion for many years due to this sentiment but I was pleasantly surprised when I finally did. The game is more guided than the 2D Metroids that came before it in the sense that it's continually placing markers on your map, but you still need to explore uncharted mazelike sections of the world in order to reach those objectives, so it still feels like a proper Metroid game.

It's got some of the series' best bosses too.
>>
File: SA-X.gif (173KB, 240x160px) Image search: [Google]
SA-X.gif
173KB, 240x160px
>>4086880
Agree, the Nightmare fight in particular was very tough, but memorable.

Back in the day I hated the parts where the SA-X would chase you, but after all those were very exciting and great to set the tone. What the game lacks in freedom of choice gameplay-wise it makes up for with great atmosphere. The franchise was in part inspired by the original Alien movie, and it sure doesn't get more Alien than being stuck on a space ship with and being chased by an uncanny creature you can not defeat.
>>
>>4084990
Serious business
>>
>>4084990
I can't stand /vbecause of how insanely fast the threads move and when a new game is announced or I'm in the mood for a good goddessthread, that's where I'll be.
>>
>>4087079
It doesn't have to be like a corporate business meeting, but most /v/ threads are like a loud school cafeteria with memes.
>>
>>4087068
Yeah. I've been thinking about how they could have improved the replayability of Fusion despite its linearity and the designer's apparent hatred of players going off the beaten path to find their own way through the game (ala Metroid 1, Super & Zero Mission). They should have made the SA-X events random per playthrough with like tons of rooms in the game after a certain point having the ability to have the SA-X show up and fuck your day up, but I guess the "escaping the SA-X mechanic" would have to be different than it was in the final version of the game (can't just escape through doors, having to morph ball up somewhere to hide yourself/lose the attention of the SA-X and then escape).
>>
>>4080469
>shitty tryhard (le art) jamesbondesque profile
>three random ginormous metroids for no reason
>terrible background color that neither goes with the game and uses virtual boy colors on a Nintendo handheld console yet again reminding you to end your life.
>shit grey mud around the corners
>flip the box over and get raped by wordswordswordwordswordsadswordswords as usual with japshit and also gross alien Samus.

The pose is alright though. Put that pose on the American box and we're all good here.
>>
>>4089076
>complaining about retro stryle art on a fucking retro board
>>
>>4086880
>>4087068
I can understand the frustration long time fans had with Fusion, but it was my first metroid experience so I was fine with it and fans didn't know they were going to get Zero mission down the line so it could have seemed like this was just how metroid would be now.

But taking a step back now we have everything laid out, I think its a great game still.

Don't lynch me, but I was actually looking forward to Super Metroid being over when I recently played through the games in story order (but using remakes, so ZM > AM2R > Super > Fusion); I've played Super before, but it being so soon after ZM and especially AM2R, I couldn't hack floaty samus.
>>
>>4085331
F-Zero just doesn't sell that well.
>>
>>4089107

Neither does Metroid. And yet both of them got five or more games in gen six.
>>
>>4089150
F-Zero didn't get five or more gen games in Gen six. Are you high?

Also, every single metroid prime game sold more copies individually than F-Zero GX.
>>
>>4089162
F-Zero Maximum Velocity
F-Zero GX
F-Zero AX
F-Zero GP Legend
F-Zero Climax

All came out within four years.
>>
>>4080418
>How bad was the "Classic NES Series" on the Game Boy Advance?

The only bad thing it's that they charged $20 for a single NES game, Nintendo is just like Disney in the sense they pretend their games/Animated movies are as valuable as gold and they re-released their old stuff in an overpriced and hard to get way cough*NES Classic Mini* cough Diamond Editions *cough
>>
>>4082989
FF6 with butchered music and even more of an easymode

>b-but we fixed the vanish-doom glitch guys!
>>
>>4088461
I redirect you to
>>4084982
>>
>>4089079
>saying anything retro is bad in my safe space
FTFY
Thread posts: 105
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.