[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thinking of picking up a PSP Go for SNES/PS1/etc. emulation.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 5

Thinking of picking up a PSP Go for SNES/PS1/etc. emulation. What advantages does this have towards using a 3DS?
>>
Ds has two screens which makes it trash automatically for me

Though my handheld of choice is the gcw zero (for autistic reasons), the go is also one of the top choices. It's up there with the gpd xd
>>
>>4080041
Composite out to TV with a Bluetooth dualshock. Some snes games are rough, but not bad overall. Ps1 is perfect. It's pretty great.
>>
>>4080068
I was hoping to use a 3DS because I was gonna buy a new one anyway and didn't want to waste extra money on this. Literally everything about it looks good for emulation though and I can play FFT: WotL on it. Win win.
>>
>>4080041

SNES emulation is not great on the PSP. But I have not tried a new emulator for it in up to 3-5 years.
>>
>>4080089
Well I'd prefer to use it as a handheld. I already have a Wii U and a PC as a home emulator.
>>
>>4080102
Retroarch for 3ds is pretty developed and if you're going to play retro games once it a while it's acceptable, but as a dedicated retro game player I wouldn't recommend it
>>
>>4080041
>Not playing real thing on crt
>>
>>4080041
Well since you are buying a PSP Go, you get a Dualshock hook up and the usual component out.
>>
File: IMG_5949.png (436KB, 1242x2208px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5949.png
436KB, 1242x2208px
This a good deal or should I look for a cheaper one elsewhere?
>>
>>4080103
its still shit
>>
>>4080103
I tried it on my Vita TV and it's still pretty bad
>>
Mod a PSP to have an snes d-pad for maximum comfort. And for best PSX emulation.

Use an N3DS or N2DS for comfy 240p screen.

There's
>>
Don't get the 1000 whatever you do. Mine has a garbage screen and the battery is fucking dog shit.
>>
I would suggest getting a PSP 2000 or 3000 instead
>>
>>4080068
What are these autistic reasons?
>>
>>4080103

it's been a while since I've emulated on PSP and last I remember SNES was awful
>>
>>4080159

that's actually a steal, especially the fact that it's refurbished. go for it. however unless it comes with custom firmware, make sure you know how to install some or else it's useless
>>
>>4080294
1000 is great for two reasons:
IR Blaster and the possibility of the SNES d-pad mod.
>>
>>4080041
The only advantage a PSP has over a N3DS is the ability to play PS1 games. Other than that emulators run a hell of a lot better on N3DS and it play's GBA games natively.
>>
>>4080041
Most people despise the pspgo, but in fact, it is the best portable gaming hardware before PSV.
Smallest, light ,vivid LCD screen,High quality speeker,slide to on off,standby 3 month.
>>
>>4080320
>muh gnu/linux
>emulators available for unpopular and unknown platforms
>good retro PC emulation
>>
>>4080041
PSP sucks for SNES emulation. It was acceptable like 10 years ago but many games you'll have to run at frameskip +2 or +3 without sound.

A N3DS is great at SNES emulation but can't do PSX emulation playably.

Maybe a Vita? I don't know what's going on in that scene really.

A GPD XD or Win will be able to emulate psx and SNES well.>>4080068
>>
>>4080340
I know it's not retro but can PSP Go run GBA games decently?
>>
>>4080428
GBA emulation is pretty good, better than SNES.
>>
>>4080041
>advantages
You can set frame skip to 0 in your snes emulator to play in slow motion to get past hard parts in games. kek
>>
I know it's not quite the same, but what do you dudes think of the Revo K101+ as a portable games machine? I mainly am looking for GBA+GB shit.
>>
>>4080041
Slightly related, is there a way to turn off the bilinear filtering on injected GBC VC games on the 3DS? Besides doing the 1:1 pixel mode, which even on an XL is just a bit too small for my tastes. I've been trying to play MG Ghost Babel but the filtering makes it look like ass.
>>
>>4080336
>SNES d-pad mod.
It's actually easier to do on the 2000 and 3000.
>>
i have a vita. i love it. snes is emu is amazing but issues with mode 5-7 as usual
>>
>>4080329
GameStop probably factory resets it
>>
File: 6xy2Yzl.jpg (105KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
6xy2Yzl.jpg
105KB, 1080x1080px
The PSP is probably the best portable device you can get your hands on to run retro games.
>Large library
>Support for PSX natively
>RetroArch can run GB/GBC/GBA/SEGA/MAME/NES
>SNES emulation is game dependent, but with few tweaks you can get 90% of the game to work
>N64/DS emulation is proof of concept
>You can get MicroSD card adapter and have up to 64GB of storage
>Several homebrews, effectively turning it into e-reader/ portable audio player
>can run GNU/Linux or even Windows
Sadly many ROMs have gone.
>>
>>4081787
How are you playing IHNMAIMS?
>>
>>4081883
Smoothly, the analog stick works for the point and X for click.
It's an old game and the PSP can run it perfectly.
>>
>>4080103
Haha as if there was anything new in the last 3-5 years. You can pretty much forget about SNES emulation. If you are lucky those games also exist on GBA and you are better off playing the GBA rom on your PSP which will work just fine (like Zelda where the intro with the triforce is killing my PSP almost ).
>>
Get a GPD XD or an Nvidia Shield handheld don't get a PSP those are old the Nvidia Shield or GPD XD are way better and newer and can do Dreamcast N64 PlayStation Etc
>>
>>4081919
>GPD XD
It's abandonware. Stuck on KitKat android with poor battery life and lagging. If it had official 6+ support it would be fine.
>>
What other options besides a PSP is there? My PSP is starting to age, and while I get tons of use out of the thing between emulation, PSX, and PSP games, I feel like there's got to be something better after 10 years, at least in the non PSX department.

Has anyone tried any of those chinese devices with sticks/pad and buttons?
>>
>>4081983

Just get an Android phone.
>>
>>4081983
>>4082002 This
A Xiaomi Redmi 4X will be fine. It's cheap enough and has a large battery. Just get a proper controller and you're fine. If you want a gigantic af battery get Oukitel K10000 Pro instead. It has a similar price tag.
If you want to wait and spend more, GPD WIN 2 will be released somewhere in 2018. So you get your console emulation as well as PC games.
>>
>>4081883
probably SCUMMVM
>>
>>4081983
PSP is still perfect for PS1, no smartphone or Android "console" is that close to perfection.
>>
>>4080336
>SNES d-pad mod
links?
>>
>>4082002
>>4082026
While Android phones certainly fit the bill and are pretty cheap, I'm hoping to find something in a more compact form factor. It was one of the pluses I had with PSP, a single piece of hardware that struck a good balance between a large screen, weight, and compact casing. It's also the reason I pass on using DSes or 3DSes, they're just too bulky with a second screen that's going unused for the majority of games I'd play.

It'd be real nice if I could find something like the GBA, the tiny size was wonderful since it took up virtually no room in my pocket.
>>
>>4082086
Look into GPD WIN or get PS Vita with an older firmware.
>>
>>4082058
>>4082086

Try and find a Vita slim with 3.60 firmware. There's a full PSP emulator that was made for it and it's continually being supported; plays all PSP emulators, PS1 and of course PSP games. There's an added benefit of having filters for all those, making games look SEXY as hell. You'll also have the benefit of having Vita-side emulators, which are progressing smoothly but not all there yet.

Only issue is how expensive this will cost you, as the memory card prices for Vita are bullshit.
>>
>>4081983
Android phone + controller I guess.
You can try VITA.

But the sad truth there won't be a device like PSP any more, and chink emulators are overpriced deprecated pieces of hardware.
Maybe I'll look into creating emulation machine with RPi3, if I can find suitable touch screen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGHx3jnaU-4
>>
>>4082198
That looks kind of neat, sort of like one of those Pandora Linux things.

>>4082225
I'll check out a Vita I guess, I don't mind the expense so much just because I get so much use out of a portable emulator.
>>
>>4081951
Wrong, retard
>>
>>4082410
>wrong
Nope. It's stuck on 4.4 unless you manually hack around and install a custom ROM.
>>
>>4082454
>with poor battery life and lagging
This is where you're wrong, idiot. My XD is still running as great as it did when I first got it.
>>
>>4080336
>IR Blaster
Who cares? What would you use it for?
>>
>>4082026
Or just get a ZeroLemon 10,000 mah battery for any popular Android or iPhone

Normal use my phone lasts a week or so per charge
>>
>>4082514
Fuck with traffic lights.
>>
>>4082506
It would run much better if your OS wasn't outdated. I experienced the change from 4 to 6 first hand on my phone. The battery life is much better and my device never hangs like it used to sometimes. Obviously you'd notice that less on a device with no telephony software, but even it would run much better if it weren't outdated. You're 3 versions behind in android, this is equivalent of using WinXP.
Your anecdotal evidence of "works on my device! IDIOT!!!" is objectively incorrect and irrelevant since you have no idea what you're talking about nor did you ever get an update to prove you right.
>>
>>4082594
Yeah, I'm sure Windows 10 would run great on a Pentium 4 - much better than XP.
You're the one who has no clue what you're talking about.

>Your anecdotal evidence
>I experienced the change from 4 to 6 first hand on my phone
Nice anecdotal evidence, you fucking twat. It ain't even the same device yet you feel you have the right to claim you're making an objective evaluation. You don't own an XD and are basing its performance on your fucking phone. YOUR "evidence" isn't relevant in the slightest.
>>
>>4082643
Neither is yours, fag. But it's an objective fact that android got a much better battery and resource management after KitKat. Android older than marshmallow is garbage, so are all devices stuck on it.
>>
>>4082198
>GPD WIN
Great idea bad execution.
>>4082594
>OS wasn't outdated
That depends on your device hardware, you shouldn't update your OS if your device hardware can't keep up,
>>4082643
>I'm sure Windows 10 would run great on a Pentium 4
It does, you'd need more RAM though, and drivers can be a tricky thing.
>>
>>4080041
You can use a PSP Go with a CRT using their proprietary component cables and it supports a DS3 unlike the previous models.
>>
>>4080041
>What advantages does this have towards using a 3DS?

Playing ps1 games, and thats it. A n3ds is better in every other way, significantly
>>
>>4080041
>tfw Vita
>can do everything the PSP can as well as play roms of Vita games
>nicer screen
>>
>>4081787
>Sadly many ROMs have gone.
What do you mean?
>>
>>4082992
Still cant do ps1 games
>>
>>4084007
Yes it can.
Through Retroarch or PSP emulator.
>>
>>4082060
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLxfY2Cpzos
>>
>>4082523
Got any good tutorials for that?
>>
>>4080041
It can connect to sd/hdtv with composite or component cable and use a ds3 for the 2nd player so you can bring it to a friends and play co-op/vs. Ps1 games look and run great on it.
>>
NEOGEO on it is top notch too.
>>
>>4083896
May romsites that have hosted first party Nintendo games from the Nes era up to the DS era have had their roms taken down by Nintendo in the last week as Nintendo does not want piracy impacting the sales of their NES and SNES mini classic console releases, as well as their virtual console re-release for the Switch, which is coming out in January.
>>
>>4085119
Oh, I thought he was talking about PSP roms (well, isos actually but whatever).
>>
>>4081787
The homebrew of the PSP it's outstanding and almost complete I even emulated X6800 on it.
>>
>>4085119
IMO that's just a way to keep copyrights and attempt to squeeze any money from old systems library.
Only gullible would fall for "RETRO GAMES WITH UHD".
Either way the new mini classic console, will fail mainly because most of todays gamers care more about graphic > game play > plot, Hipsters may fall for it.
Some people may get it for nostalgia, But I doubt you'd get teens to sit through some of S/NES games level difficulty.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDOZbvE01Fk

And a sad attempt to inflate the SWITCH non-existing library.
>>
>>4084294
huh, easy? worth doing?
>>
File: 1497466376980.jpg (94KB, 826x700px) Image search: [Google]
1497466376980.jpg
94KB, 826x700px
>>4086001
Are you in the right forum?
Have you seen retro game resale prices lately?
Did you see how normies and nostalgia fags ate up the NES Classic?
Retro prices were absurd before but shot up after the Wreck it Ralph movie. I have no doubt the Spielberg adaptation of Ready Player One is going to make things even worse.
>>
>>4086105
And that's why I said gullible.
It's just over priced NES emulation device.
While it's true, it can be made to run all of the NES library, You can get more using RPi0, https://howchoo.com/g/zdqxnzblmzm/gamepad-zero-a-raspberry-pi-retro-gaming-rig-in-an-nes-controller
>>
>>4085119
I only saw it happen to a single site (emuparadise). Everything seems to be on coolrom and other sites. So I just downloaded as many good games as I could before those sites are also censured.
But none of this stops torrenting, which is a superior way of filesharing anyway.
>>
>>4086140
>>4085119
This. the whole NES library is less than 4 GB including hacked ROMS.
There's a magnet link that contain all of it.
>>
>>4080041
just get a 3.60 Vita instead, it can do all of the same shit as PSP but has a much better D-pad, and dual analog
>>
>>4086340
How do I know the VITA have the 3.60 firmware before I buy it?
>>
>>4086140
>censured
kek
>>
does anyone know which is better between using the component cables or using CFW & USB to output video?
I'm looking to stream PSP games on the go & want to know which is better
>>
>>4080159
They sell on eBay for at least $80 all day, that's a great deal. PSP GO is fantastic for emulating 8 and some 16 bit games with, PS1 goes without saying. Like the other anon said, component out and Bluetooth Dualshock 3 and you're set.
>>
>>4080041
http://wololo.net/emulators-for-the-psp-ps-vita-the-ultimate-download-list/
>>
>>4080406
>>4081919
>>4081951
>>4082410
>>4082454
>>4082506
>>4082594
>>4082643
>>4082660
Interesting debate. To put it to a close for future readers and those interested into buying android consoles:

Difference between android 4.4 and android 5.0 is huge. Prior to 5.0, android apps were actually run in a virtual machine via dalvik, while from 5.0 and afterwards the apps are compiled into native code via ART. The performance is thus significantly improved and input lag is reduced. Google promised 4x performance improvement, but I'd say it's not that big but still very significant. It became even better after 7.0 and starting with 8.0 android will have an even better battery management and faster boot times.
Also, you can't compare android versions to windows versions... especially XP vs 10 which are created 14 years apart, when compared to android 4.4 and 7 which are made 3 years apart.

In conclusion, never buy android handheld devices with older android versions (anything less than 5.0). It would actually be better if you bought a phone and used a controller. Like >>4082002 and >>4082026 said. Or just get a Vita.
>>
>>4086336
Where can I find this link and other nintendo rom links?
>>
>>4090670
google.com
>>
how is the Nintendo DSi for emulation?
>>
>>4080041
Vita is the way to go
>>
>>4090936
Sadly it's very hard to find one with 3.60 firmware.
>>
>>4090881
I use a DS fat (dat clicky D-pad) because it gives me access to GBA games through flashcarts.
GameGear, GB and GBC run well and you can even play with Super Gameboy features and full color at the same time.
SMS and NES on the other hand suffer from the smaller resolution, for some games it's not a deal breaker but it's noticeable
And that's pretty much it, it's underpowered but can be turned into the perfect Game Boy machine using 2 flashcarts (one for GBA and the other one for DS games and emus). I saw no need for my other GB consoles and started selling them after realising this.
>>
>>4091003
Can vouch for this, just rigged up my R4 last nite for my 2DS. gameyob has improved immensely since the last time I used it and Super GB support along with whatever other custom borders you want is super rad. It's pretty much perfect for GB/C stuff and you can play whatever cool original DS games you want too.
>>
>>4090963
You have to find a new one, Europe or America. They come with exactly that fw.
Thread posts: 92
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.