[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it not possible to get a regular grey cart? Could you transplant

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 9

File: sd2snes.jpg (35KB, 458x458px) Image search: [Google]
sd2snes.jpg
35KB, 458x458px
Is it not possible to get a regular grey cart?
Could you transplant the guts of it into a grey cart after cutting a hole for the SD card to fit through?
>>
>>4075143
>Could you transplant the guts of it into a grey cart after cutting a hole for the SD card to fit through?
I hardly think it would be worth the effort, but yeah. There is no reason why you couldn't.
>>
>>4075143
When you go to the offical website to order it asks you if you want a American or Euro/Jap shell and what color you'd like. You even get your choice of stickers. Not surprising since they are made to order.

Get the Super Everdrive China Version. SD2SNES supports like, 8 additional official games and costs $150 more
>>
>>4075623
Which additional 8 games?
Doesn't it also have the potential for SFX & SA1 support?
And what about build quality?
>>
>>4075648
Different anon here. It makes you play Cx4 and DSP based games like Super Mario Kart, Pilotwings, Megaman X2 and Megaman X3. Promises have been made by Ikari that it would someday support Super FX and SA-1 as well but I wouldn't count on it if I were you. Fortunately, most Super FX games are still pretty cheap (except for Yoshi's Island). The SA-1 games like the Kirby games and Super Mario RPG are more expensive though so you probably have to pick up original carts of them for now.
I haven't bought one myself but from what I read about the SD2SNES itself it seems to be sturdy and it loads roms faster than a (Chinese) Super Everdrive. Not only that but there's also MSU-1 support which makes it possible to play roms with MP3 music and FMV footage although that's a minor addition. Whether it's worth the extra dollars is up to you.
>>
>>4075705
>>4075648
Super Everdrive also supports DSP games if you put a DSP chip in it.

I bought a Japanese pilotwings and pulled it from there to install in the cart.
Works great.
>>
>>4075648
Just dont turn off the system while it is flashing or youll brick the chinese one. Other than that it is solid.

The games are
>Megaman x2/3
>Metal Combat:Falcons Revenge
>Daikaijuu Monogatari II
>F1 ROC 2
>Super Road Blaster
The following are incompatible with the Super Everdrive v1 and China Version
>Top Gear 3000
>Dungeon Master
>Gundam GX
>Mario Kart
>Sazuka 8 Hours
>Super Air Diver
>Pilot Wings
>Indie Car Challenge
>Lock on
>Ballz 3D
>A few really obscure japanese games
>>
>>4075771
Forgot Super Bases Loaded 2 in the second list.
>>
>>4075143
>Could you transplant the guts of it into a grey cart after cutting a hole for the SD card to fit through?
No, it wont work without that specific cart. There's a ferromagnetic chip embedded in the plastic that activates a reed switch.
>>
>>4075795
>babys first electronics post
>>
>>4075771
Mario Kart? Fuck, how hard is it to put a DSP chip in the China version?

I hear the China version has longer load times compared to SD2SNES. Is it noticeable?

How does build quality compare to SD2SNES?

Can we realistically expect future support for SFX and/or SA1 on SD2SNES?

Do these flashcarts all have batteries that need to be replaced every 10 years or so?

Ultimately I can handle spending more for SD2SNES if answers to the above question significantly favour it
>>
>>4076740
>I hear the China version has longer load times compared to SD2SNES. Is it noticeable?
Definitely noticeable, it can be up to 30 seconds for larger games, versus nearly instant on SD2SNES. Not that big a deal unless you have ADHD.
>How does build quality compare to SD2SNES?
They both have shitty build quality.
>Can we realistically expect future support for SFX and/or SA1 on SD2SNES?
Very low chance for SFX, zero chance for SA1.
>Do these flashcarts all have batteries that need to be replaced every 10 years or so?
Yeah but they're built in a way that it's easy to replace them. No desoldering or anything.
>>
>>4076740
The time it takes to flash games is a bit longer, but still is only a matter of seconds. I dont think they will br able to FPGA SFX or SA1 due to their complexity. kirkzz currently state that he doesnt know if either are possible, but no future hardware updates will be made to accomodate them. It does not need a battery, save games are written to the SD card.

If you are willing to spend more, get an actual Everdrive, not china version. For the OS updates.
>>
>>4076805
Does it have a battery? I never took it apart, but there are definately saves on the sd card.
>>
>>4076805
>They both have shitty build quality.
Interesting to know

>Yeah but they're built in a way that it's easy to replace them.
Is there a way to just save to the SD so you don't have to worry about losing saves?

>Very low chance for SFX
This is almost a non issue for me; I have Yoshi's Island PAL version, but I've heard it might glitch out if played at 60Hz
>>
>>4075143
I got mine from Ali last year and it has a gray SFC style cart with black label. I think they've been banned since then, or at least disappeared, though.

You can buy an overdesigned shell from stone age jew for more money than it's worth.
>>
>>4076815
It needs a battery to save the game initially so you don't lose your save when you shut down the console. The save is then copied to the SD card on power up. That's why a lot of cheaper flash cart designs without an internal battery require you to reset for your games to be saved.
>>
>>4076805
What makes you say SFX is any more likely than SA1? I've written them both off at this point.
>>4076827
not sure if you are referring to Super ED china ver or SD2SNES, but the latter writes saves to SD in real time whenever the sram changes.
>>
>>4076810
>get an actual Everdrive, not china version
Why do OS updates matter? Any other tangible benefits to an actual Everdrive?
>>
>>4076832
>What makes you say SFX is any more likely than SA1? I've written them both off at this point.
Just going off comments Ikari has made in the past. SA1 is a pretty crazy chip, so it makes sense to me.
>not sure if you are referring to Super ED china ver or SD2SNES, but the latter writes saves to SD in real time whenever the sram changes.
I know that's how the SED works. The SD2SNES has an internal battery as well so I assumed it worked the same way, but maybe it's just there as an additional precaution.
>>
Should i get the sd2snes from krizz's website or is it safe to buy the ebay ones? Ones on ebay are ~160 versus 200.
>>
>>4076842
The eBay ones usually have broken MSU1 support if that matters to you.
>>
>>4076852
That's just for cd audio right? Will they load as fast as the krikkzz one?
>>
>>4076842
ebay ones are usually made in china. my understanding of this is that anything with the everdrive brand is closed source, and so the chinese (depending on seller) can fuck it up. sd2snes is an open project and so the chinese versions are typically made to spec even if they may use cheaper parts.

I have a chinese sd2snes and it performs brilliantly with MSU1 games, you just need a fast SD card.

>>4076864
Yes and yes, but there are some FMV in addition. Most people don't care and want the original games anyway.
>>
>>4076864
They should, yes.

>>4076873
>I have a chinese sd2snes and it performs brilliantly with MSU1 games, you just need a fast SD card.
Yeah, it's hit or miss. You might get lucky and get one with working MSU1 support.
>>
>>4076876
Now if only there were MSU1 games worth playing, I really only like the super metroid orchestral ver and MMX2 with genesis FM audio. THat's about it. I haven't tried the BS Zelda with new english voice acting yet though
>>
>>4076876
You type like this affected your cart personally. What are the symptoms? Do you get some audio cut off here and there, or do the games just not play at all?
>>
>>4076885
I'm waiting for someone to port Rondo of Blood to SNES complete with the CD audio soundtrack.
>>
>>4076885
What's the matter, can't beat super road blaster?
>>
>>4076891
Yep, I bought an eBay cart and then returned it after experiencing the problem and got a Krikzz cart instead. The game will play normally and all S-SMP sounds work, but the MSU1 audio won't play. Apparently it's a common issue with the Chinese eBay carts; many of them are missing some component necessary for MSU1 support.

I don't really care that much about MSU1, but I figured if I'm paying that kind of money for a flash cart I want to at least have the option available to me.
>>
>>4076912
based ukraine and germany making super nintendo white again
>>
>>4076698
>being this dumb
>>
>>4076926
>assmad baby is assmad
>>
>>4075708
Fuck off krikzz
>>
>>4076912
sure.
>>
How much is Chinese Super Everdrive usually? $50?
>>
File: LCD_gaming.jpg (599KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
LCD_gaming.jpg
599KB, 2592x1944px
>>4076873
>>4076876
I got my Chinese SD2SNES a couple months ago and it is Revision F, direct from China through a friend's family order from taobao. From what I read, Revision H (most recent I know about) fixes some MSU-1 audio issues. Just want you to be wary that the savings from getting the Chinese one may not be worth it if you want the latest MSU-1 fixes.
>>
File: IMG_20170624_135121.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170624_135121.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
I can't believe you people are buying shitty Everdrives instead of going for the naturally superior option.
>load all the games you want off 3.5 diskettes
>Back up SRAM onto a diskette before you change cart batteries so you don't have to worry about losing your saves
>you don't have to unplug it to load normal cartridges since it has a pass through port
>Great for homebrew development since you can load ROMs over parallel
>>
>>4077278
i can understand the gameboy cart, but the rest just makes me wonder why you wouldn't just buy some ps2 controllers and a usb hook up and play on an emulator at this point.
>>
>>4077278
>super retro advance
just get a gamecube my man. GBP is cheap without the disc, and you don't need the disc anymore. that snes thing is composite video only with wrong AR.

but now that I see you're using an emulator box clone console with a framemeister, I feel like you took this picture just to fuck with people to begin with.
>>
File: Spoonfeed_me.jpg (2MB, 2304x1728px) Image search: [Google]
Spoonfeed_me.jpg
2MB, 2304x1728px
>>4078269
I am just reusing an old image that says the flashcarts do work in that clone console because it is not an emulator box. Also, it is the only picture I took of my Chinese SD2SNES which has a grey shell.

>>4078095
I reformatted my emulation box, and it is now Windows 10 instead of 8.1. I really wish SteamOS took off and supported, or even better if Lakka can have a breakout to Steam Big Picture mode. All so I can have the computer hooked up and navigated by controller alone.
>>
>>4078502
Off topic, but what do you think of the OSSC compared to the Framemeister? I have a Framemeister as well, and I'm considering selling it and getting an OSSC.
>>
>>4078061
>16m
>no floppy emulator
Jesus. I still use these things for what they're good at but that setup is fucking retarded.
>>
File: CRT_support.jpg (477KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
CRT_support.jpg
477KB, 2592x1944px
>>4078505
Both have their advantages and disadvantages. OSSC has no lag, accurate full colors, a VGA in, and less expensive. The negatives of the OSSC may just be my version being an early build without digital audio integrated (they are now), you will have to use a cable/adapter to change from DVI to HDMI (cheap, so not an issue), some monitors/TVs may not support its line 3x/4x/5x modes, only very few capture cards accept video from the OSSC, and there are no composite nor S-video inputs for the device either. I would advise maybe get the OSSC then make the determination if you can part with one, even though I prefer the OSSC but if I were to only have one, I'd probably keep the Framemeister.
>>
>>4078623
Actually, I bumped it up to 32m, here's a guide I wrote on how to do it
http://www.geocities.jp/shicky256/swc/index.html
Also, floppy emulators are a pain in the ass to label (you need to keep a paper with what game corresponds to what virtual floppy instead of just writing on the diskette label), and are restricted to 1.44 megs, so you can only store 8 megabits (actually around 10, but there aren't any 10 megabit games so whatever) per "virtual floppy" as opposed to 12 megabits per real floppy when you format it to 1.6 megabytes using the copier.
>>
Is this any better than the cheaper one they're selling?
>>
>>4078756
Cool mod. I actually don't mind the paper. My image builder generates it for me and it's actually faster to use than the menu on a modern flash cart. I wrote a program for the SNES that displays the list and let you scroll through it. I used to put it in slot 0 so I'd always have it. It's easier to just print a new paper when I loose it.
>>
>>4075623
What is the official store?
Everywhere I've looked is sold out of grey and only has black.
Is it true that the grey ones aren't actually the same grey as the original SNES carts? If so, maybe black will be fine then
>>
>>4079082
>What is the official store?
Krikzz is the official source according to Ikari.

>Is it true that the grey ones aren't actually the same grey as the original SNES carts?
Yes. They're (obviously) repro carts, and don't look or feel quite the same.
>>
>>4079101
>Krikzz
i tried going through the ordering process, but saw no option to change colour, but

>They're (obviously) repro carts
If it's obvious they look different to genuine carts, I'm inclined to go black. I guess it's like the Killer Instinct carts

What's the coolest looking sticker label for these flashcarts?
>>
File: 2017-02-20 21.20.53.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
2017-02-20 21.20.53.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
quality products. i love my everdrive 64 and sd2snes. mmx2 and mmx3 alone cost over $500 so really dont see what the big deal is spending $200 for a flash cart that can play almost everything.
>>
>>4078505
id say get an ossc just based on the fact it doesnt have the 30ms input lag the frammeister inherently has. 30ms combined with ~20ms of input lag even some of the best hdtv's have is a lot of input lag, you'd notice the difference for sure if switching from a crt. most people wont care, but trust me, once you get close to 50ms of input lag, it starts to become noticeable. personally i can tell even around 30ms of input lag.
>>
>>4075795
is this really true?
>>
>>4075143
I have the sd2snes in a gray cart, same one as this one >>4077278 since I bought mine from taobao. I'd love to get another sfc style cart in another color. Grey is boring.
>>
>>4079470
i liked the idea of grey because all my snes carts are grey. Can you tell the difference in greyness between your sd2snes and genuine carts?
>>
File: IMG_20170625_103146245-01.jpg (2MB, 2818x2257px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170625_103146245-01.jpg
2MB, 2818x2257px
>>4079474
Excuse the lighting but the sd2snes definitely is a much lighter grey compared to snes and sfc carts. The feel of the plastic isn't as good as real snes or sfc carts though, but I don't think it'll break or crack either unless I was to purposely abuse it. You could transfer the board inside to a real snes cart, you'll just need to cut out a spot for the SD card.
>>
File: IMG_20170625_103216182-01.jpg (2MB, 3133x2507px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170625_103216182-01.jpg
2MB, 3133x2507px
>>4079474
>>
>>4080005
>>4080007
thanks for the comparison pics
>>
>>4079390
No, OP asked a retarded question and got a retarded bullshit answer in response. This whole thread is retarded. It's like asking if I can transplant my computer from one ATX case into another ATX case.
>>
>>4080697
maybe op thought one of the cases was actually AT

how would u kno by just looking at the case??
>>
>>4080697
also i've had many atx cases which atx board will not fit into
>>
>>4078269
>you don't need the disc
How, outside of modchips? Is there a reliable softmod for GameCube that doesn't cost a lot?
>>
>>4082117
a dell proprietary board isn't atx. if it's atx it's atx and if it doesn't work then someone isn't following the atx standard.
>>
File: bruh.jpg (61KB, 577x1024px) Image search: [Google]
bruh.jpg
61KB, 577x1024px
>>4082117
>>
>>4082117
No you don't. You have many cases of brain damage.
>>
>>4082369
See >>4078502 use the SD Media launcher. The SD card adapter goes into memory card 2 slot. With the action replay disc, launch GBI.DOL, GBI-LL.DOL, or GBI-ULL.DOL depending on your preferences.
>>
>>4088317
>without the disc
>with the action replay disc
Literally retarded
>>
>>4088402 if you want to spend $50+ on a GBP start up disc, no one is stopping you
>>
is it true that sd2snes gets discounted on black friday? how much by?
>>
>>4088449
I was the guy who originally asked. Can you permanently install it in such a way that you don't need the AR any more? Likewise, can you run backups from the SD card?
>>
>>4076810
Krikzz has abandoned all his flashcarts except whatever he's currently trying to sell, OS updates are moot
>>4076837
It's extremely unlikely that there will ever be anymore OS updates, and the Chinese ones are literally $54. Don't pay the Ukrainian tax, the only advantage is you get a warranty with the official ones.
>>
>>4088659
I actually found some info myself. Just to make sure, all you really need are: some kind of SD card reader, some kind of Action Replay or similar datel disc, a 4gb SD card because datel's shit can't see more than that, and then just go to town, right?
>>
>>4088449
>if you want to spend $50+ on an AR disc, no one is stopping you
kek
>>
I just emulate on a Wii over component, I don't see a good reason to jump through the extra hoops of a real SNES.
>>
>>4088848
I worked this out last year, if you have a compatible game you actually don't need the AR at all, but it takes a bit longer to boot. You will need the SD to GC reader yes, but those are like $4. SD media launcher is expensive / hard to find.
http://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.php?title=Booting_Homebrew

this is the one I use:
http://www.gc-forever.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=3311
requires two START presses before booting, it but works on unmodded GC
>>
>>4089586
Just buy a $3 modchip. Even a monkey can install it.
>>
>>4089721
>I've never worked on a Q
That much is obvious. It's the best solution for a standard GC though.
>>
>>4089839
I've never even seen a Panasonic Q in person. Are they that much harder to work on? The normal GameCube install is piss easy.
>>
>£120 on ebay vs £150 from kikrzz
too good to be true?
>>
>>4089964
A fucking nightmare. I did it once. Never again. But it's not like I actually play on my Qs. I only haul one out if someone actually does want to see one in person. It is something to see. Pics don't really do it justice.
>>
>>4090110
To elaborate on this, apparently the black friday sales that kirkzz has are 20% off.

That means a £150 SD2SNES would go down to £120, i.e. exactly what one from eBay would cost right now. Is there much risk of an eBay one being fake or something?
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.