[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I was 99% sure it was bullshit but part of me was worried. Don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 8

File: Y2k4c.jpg (30KB, 660x550px) Image search: [Google]
Y2k4c.jpg
30KB, 660x550px
I was 99% sure it was bullshit but part of me was worried. Don't lie, you set your dates to 2000 and later to see what would happen.
>>
>>4075031
Userbase is too young to remember.
>>
>>4075054
>>4075057
Thanks for you sharing your 3rd world and underage viewpoint about the subject.
>>
I remember I was begging my parents for a computer in 1999 and they wouldn't get me one because "they are all going to die in a year anyway so what's the point"?

On the actual night of Y2K everybody gathered in the house and waited for airplanes to start falling out of the sky but disappointingly nothing happened.

I enjoyed my Dell Dimension though.
>>
>>4075031
you're a fucking retard
>>
>>4075031
even at age 11 I thought it seemed like a dumb fear, but I still unplugged my pc on New Year's Eve just in case.
>>
In all likelihood, nothing would have stopped functioning, you'd just get weird dates at worst.
>>
its funny cause from what i remember none of the kids in school were falling for this shit. All the kids thought the y2k shit was a joke. I think I was still in middle school when the y2k stuff was big on the news.
>>
It's very real.
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-earthquakesa-earthquake-68-quake-strikes-near-isla-vista-calif-jyhw-htmlstory.html
>>
>>4075087
You don't know what "third world" even means.
>>
>>4075089
post sounds like the background story to the dell dude
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJxTHMygpDY
>>
>>4075238
Don't bother anon.

They won't listen, just like they didn't listen in school where they would have learned the correct definition.
>>
>>4075368
>>4075238
>tfw public education
>>
>>4075374
>>4075368
>>4075238
You kids trolling or do you not know that parts of Europe are 3rd world?
>>
>>4075374
ily mavis beacon

i wonder where she is today
>>
>>4075031
>Don't lie, you set your dates to 2000 and later to see what would happen.
I didn't, because I was even minimally technologically literate and knew how to spot fearmongering.
>>
>>4075381
There is no third world anymore because the cold war is over.
>>
>>4075658
That's why you add "shit hole" at the end.
>>
>>4075031
I made a program that used two digits year so I had to fix it. Was quite tedious because I used integer. But that's about it.
>>
Y2K problem didn't happen because precautions were taken, it wasn't bullshit.
>>
File: 1475549083176_1.jpg (27KB, 386x386px) Image search: [Google]
1475549083176_1.jpg
27KB, 386x386px
>>4075659
Did you know that according to the accepted definition Switzerland is 3rd World?

I'd hardly call that a "Shit hole" you uneducated hillbilly.
>>
>>4075031
It wasn't complete bullshit, but man did some people get rich from it. Most consumer PC's didn't have issues as they on average get upgraded more frequently/were easily tested/don't run important stuff.

It was mostly big companies/governments who didn't know what kind of systems they had running and what would happen. Like the recent Windows 3.11 issue at the French airport, shit that didn't get upgraded in years because it would cost money. ATM's, military systems, etc.

So they had some influencial people lobby their way to millions. Funds were raised, projects started, millions spent and we had no major issues. But how those millions where exactly spent, nobody knows.
>>
>>4075694
They weren't militarily attached to NATO or the US but they were a democratic market economy.
Finland might be a better pic due to their ties with the Soviets.
>>
Setting the date to far in the future was like the second thing I did in the 80s after I discovered the "date" command in DOS.
>>
>>4075793
>But how those millions where exactly spent, nobody knows.
Hiring/training COBOL programmers.
I wonder how 2038 will turn out. You can't just switch embedded systems to 64 bit.
>>
>>4076075
What was the first, try to set up a date with Kelly LeBrock?
>>
>>4075031
>>4075215
Read up on Y2K and you'll see that there would have been problems but people sorted them out long before Y2K.
>>
>>4075031
Of course I did. I was sure it wasn't an issue but managing hundreds of systems it would have been negligent not to. Not a single problem.
>>
I did think shit was gonna go down but I was like 11 years old when y2k happened. There were news reports of people hoarding toilet paper and canned food but my parents didn't care or believe any of it.
>>
>>4076167
only for networked computers really, your old 286 that didn't even have a modem was fine
>>
>>4075031
I was changing the date on my computer well before the y2k scare. Even after the y2k shit started picking up speed I'd do it in front of my mom and her boyfriend to prove the point that it wouldn't do shit.
>>
>>4075431
You mean the actress that played her? Hopefully back in Haiti
>>
>>4076458

wtf... I didn't know until today that Mavis Beacon was just an actress. My whole life is a lie.
>>
>>4076458
>Haiti
So died from aids long ago?
>>
>>4075031
I was 100% sure it was bullshit. The given explanation made no sense, and I was already a programmer when Y2K hit.
The whole thing was just exploiting occident's fear of machines and automation for shits and giggles.
>>
America capitalizing on its citizens fears yet again.
>>
>>4075031
This was pants on head retarded. Why the fuck would a wrong date cause things to crash?!
>>
>>4077323
HACK THE PLANET
aka old baby boomers didnt understand computers until facebook came out. I could maybe see how the wrong dates could fuck some financial things but it wouldnt shut down entire cities. People freak out over dumb shit the fake news hypes up. One reason why Pokemon was so popular was because parents and the news thought it was satanic.
>>
>>4077330
>I could maybe see how the wrong dates could fuck some financial things
All systems that mattered, like Unix and OpenVMS had already fixed it though.
>>
>>4077336
you're telling me the military and economic sectors didnt used win95 for security?
>>
>>4077323
Why would a spaceprobe keep rebooting after it's clock overran?
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/09/130920-deep-impact-ends-comet-mission-nasa-jpl/

>>4077336
Some important systems were older than Unix or OpenVMS. And Unix is heading for a crash in 21 years.
>>
>>4077391
>Unix is heading for a crash in 21 years
Not too sure about that. At least 64-bit versions of Linux have had this fixed for years.
>>
>>4077403
Do you know how many 8 and 16 bit systems are still in operation?
>>
>>4077407
Zero.
>>
>>4075793
>Like the recent Windows 3.11 issue at the French airport, shit that didn't get upgraded in years because it would cost money.
It wasn't Windows 3.1 it was Windows NT 3.51. And it didn't get upgraded cause you don't upgrade a fully working airport meteo system that has been tailored for said airport's needs for no reason. Upgrading shit for the sake of upgrading is the worst thing that a company could do
>Funds were raised, projects started, millions spent and we had no major issues. But how those millions where exactly spent, nobody knows.
It was spent into pushing universities to teach COBOL again (for a short time though) so that there would be people able to fix all of that.
>>4077407
Many. mostly integrated and industrial stuff, but many are still being operated nowadays.
>>
>>4077407
An irrelevantly small number. 32-bit ones I'd understand.

Still, fuck people who do this bullshit.
Fuck them with a 5 meter long, nail-covered, Vietnamese dildo just like the retards got a through probing for using XP years after it became officially deprecated with WannaCry.

Are you flying a spaceship several light units away from Earth?
No? Then fucking stop using hardware and software that is objectively not worth a pence for anything that is remotely critical.

Hardware gets deprecated all the time, we should have pushed for laws that disallow this sort of shit happening just like you can't ride cars that poison people who inhale the fumes, how sprays had to be replaced for killing the atmosphere, how...
Keeping old hardware software out of absolute greediness is the next Chernobyl (know what else is running shit that will kick the bucket on UNIX timeline end? ICBM silos, those archaic nuclear reactors,... Fun stuff) waiting to happen and almost no one gives a fuck.
>>
I remember I set my Dreamcast to a minute just before the new millennium and waited to see what would happen. Nothing happened, I was relieved.
>>
File: durstcast.jpg (4KB, 128x189px) Image search: [Google]
durstcast.jpg
4KB, 128x189px
>>4077483
you dont know it yet... But the Dreamcast failed because of a Y 2K NBA BUG time paradox this is why ps2 came out on 9/11
>>
File: IMG_0177.png (299KB, 587x528px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0177.png
299KB, 587x528px
>>4077490
That file name
My sides
>>
File: simpnerds.jpg (68KB, 580x391px) Image search: [Google]
simpnerds.jpg
68KB, 580x391px
I remember when media was fussing about the Y2K, and it made no sense to me even though I was a gullible kid. My older brothers who were all computer geeks explained it to me, and it made even less sense. I guess it was the time when computers and internet were becoming mainstream, so of course there had to be that mandatory "everything new is scary" habbening.

Remember how from mid-90s to early 00s pretty much all media was foaming over hackers who could do literally _anything_ with their computers?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3qHepWxn-k
>>
>>4077542
That video seems reasonable. It's just social engineering, something people should have been advised against since long before computers.
>>
>>4077117
nah man it had the potential to cause problems since the 19 in the date was hardcoded into older computers it could have caused issues when networked with computers with newer hardware that didnt have hardcoded dates
>>
>>4077482
>>4077482

Developed/developing has some issues but is still a far more up-to-date replacement for the outdated "first world/second world/third world" metric.
>>
>>4077467
>Upgrading shit for the sake of upgrading is the worst thing that a company could do

This. We still have a couple of CNC machines at the shop with, iirc, 486/ISA based controller boxes running over parallel. They do exactly what they're supposed to do flawlessly. Even if we thought replacing them was a good idea, the replacements would probably wind up being less reliable.
>>
And /pol/ ruins yet another promising thread. Shame.
>>
File: youdontunderstand.jpg (671KB, 1920x1078px) Image search: [Google]
youdontunderstand.jpg
671KB, 1920x1078px
>>4075031
In Germany, one of the biggest "Newspapers" called BILD (PICTURE) does propagade this big-time. Plus ALOT, like ALOT documentarys about and how it will fuck us all in in the ass on all TV Stations. fuck this shit.
>>
>>4081556
german media does alot of propaganda bs overall. "Reichsbuerger" and "killer games" are common topics for non related content.
>>
File: 1496236723026.jpg (88KB, 630x612px) Image search: [Google]
1496236723026.jpg
88KB, 630x612px
>>4081569
Well, it's the Fault of REICHSBÜRGER when they call themself REICHSBÜRGER and are batshit crazy about the Third Reich n all. Ever Seen them in action? Like Axel Stoll´and other retardos?
>>
>>4077323
Leonard Nimoy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEhEQEG43RU
>>
>>4075089
Your parents sound kind of dumb, no offense.

Did anyone really think major airlines would send up planes that night if they really thought there was even a minuscule chance that they could just suddenly stop working? A single plane is millions of dollars. To suddenly lose half your fleet would nearly bankrupt you. I'm sure they did tests a hundred times over to confirm nothing would actually happen.
>>
>>4077542
The video is quite melodramatic but it's not that far fetched, specially for the 90s. Social engineering is not uncommon, but instead of going inside the building with a yellow plastic box you call customer support or send emails. I remember an article from some years ago where some guy's accounts (Twitter, Gmail, Amazon, iCloud) got hacked and he managed to ask the hackers how they did it. Fundamentally it was a series of calls to customer support. With the information one customer support service gave to them, they could obtain more information with another one. Then they had enough information to be able to recover a password and from there they got into all his accounts.
Sometimes you dont even need to bother that much. There's people who use really unsafe passwords such as password, 1234, their username or, in the case of administration logins for pieces of software such as fileservers or webcams, they leave the default generic password that can be found with a Google search.
And there's a lot of other stuff that could get your passwords/systems compromised, but these are the most painfully obvious. Not everything is about complex NSA exploits, sometimes it's the silly things, and it's more common that you'd imagine.
>>
>>4075031
I was almost sure nothing was going to happen, but you never knew for sure.
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.