[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just beat megaman 4-6 in the past few days for the first time.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 16

File: mmeshop.jpg (43KB, 520x303px) Image search: [Google]
mmeshop.jpg
43KB, 520x303px
Just beat megaman 4-6 in the past few days for the first time. Now I can list them from my favourite to least favourite

MM3
MM2
MM6
MM5
MM4
MM1

what's your ranking?
>>
>>4071153

exact same, good stuff
>>
>>
File: Mvc2-mega-man.jpg (80KB, 500x900px) Image search: [Google]
Mvc2-mega-man.jpg
80KB, 500x900px
>>4071153
4 > 2 > 6 > 1 > 3 > 5

I really don't get how people say 3 is the best. The doc robots feel imbalanced, the wily levels are terrible, and it overall feels lazy and unfinished. The music is great though, maybe the best but I can't say for sure.
>>
Megaman soccer
>>
>>4071153

>>
>>4071153

>>
File: Protoman9.jpg (107KB, 585x862px) Image search: [Google]
Protoman9.jpg
107KB, 585x862px
>>4071228
That's a pretty good list, mine would be about the same.
4 is very underrated by people who think they know what makes good level design but who barely look at the surface of what 'level design' emcompasses.

As for the rest of the classic series:
9>10
MM&B>8>7
GB games: V>I>IV>III>II
Power Battle>Power Fighters
>>
>>4071153
the first one is the only one that's actually remotely challenging, so I'll pick that as my only favorite of the NES games, fuck the rest of the rehashed shit
>>
>>
6 is criminally underrated and shat on for no reason at all.
And Plant Man design isn't so bad, fuck you if you disagree.
>>
I just got the collection on Steam. I will start with 2 after reading this thread.
>>
File: 61.jpg (2MB, 2432x3504px) Image search: [Google]
61.jpg
2MB, 2432x3504px
>>4071714
>Plant Man
The boss fight itself sucks, but I really like his design. I especially love what they did with him in Power Battle/Fighters and in the Ariga manga.

Anyway there are two ways to make 6 even better than it is, honestly with this the game becomes 100% more fun, for a Rockman 6 rom (doesn't work with MM6):

Lag reduction patch but also speeds up the process of many things, like loading times, scrolling when entering a room, etc:
http://www.geocities.jp/borokobo/zip/Rock6Optimization101.zip
Fixed sliding. In the original MM6, and unlike other MM games, you couldn't jump during a slide, plus there is a small delay, wait time, at the end of a slide. This fixes both:
http://www.geocities.jp/borokobo/zip/Rock6FixSlide2.zip
With both patches applied, RM6 becomes 100% more fun.

As for 3, 4 and 5:

For MM3, there is "Improvement" which gets rid of all lag, fixes a lot of glitches, and also has some other additions/changes which you may or may not like
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/992/

For Rockman 4 (doesn't work with MM4), lag reduction patch, there are two patches, one "standard" lag reduction, and another one which also changes other things like being able to switch weapons on the fly (but also gets rid of the autoscroll sections...)
http://www.geocities.jp/borokobo/zip/Rock4Optimization_v3.zip

For Rockman 5, but these ones also works with MM5. Lag reduction patch:
http://rock5easily.sakura.ne.jp/archive/rock5_lite.zip
Lets you say switch weapons on the fly (select, down+select, select+start):
http://rock5easily.sakura.ne.jp/archive/rock5_weaponselect.zip
>>
3>4>2>7>1>5>6
>>
1 > 2 > 7 = 3 > 8 > 4 > 5 = 6
Though I don't dislike any of them.
>>
9>4>Bass>7>5>10>6>2>1>3>8
>>
>>
>>4071153
OP are you me? My order list is identical.
>>
>>4071714
The only way to have fun with MM6 is to use the power adapter against everything.
>>
>>4071886
I love using the charge fist against bosses. It doesn't actually do more dmg than the non-charged one, but it cancels their attacks. It is a VERY bad idea to do it against Centaur Man, but it's great against bosses like Knight Man, Yamato, or the X Crusher.
>>
File: 18.jpg (3MB, 2550x3510px) Image search: [Google]
18.jpg
3MB, 2550x3510px
>>
File: 19.jpg (3MB, 2405x3501px) Image search: [Google]
19.jpg
3MB, 2405x3501px
Love Ariga's work
>>
Legacy Collection is 50% off on Steam atm.

Turns out their emulator uses a "no sprite limit" so there will be a lot less flicker than when playing on NES. Also slightly less lag in some occasions.

Totally worth it just for the art the collection comes with, some of it I had never seen before and/or not in high res like this.

In case you can't be bothered to buy the collection just for the art, I've packed it all :

http://www52.zippyshare.com/v/9nnhlHrt/file.html
>>
4 > 2 > 3 > 1 > 6 > 5
>>
Holy trinity tier: 2, 3, 4
Underrated gem tier: 6
Not bad but not as good as other games tier: 1
There is technically nothing wrong with it but I just find it somewhat underwhelming tier: 5
>>
>>4075964
>giving shekels to neo-crapcom

fuck off shill, NEVER FORGET LEGENDS 3
>>
there doesn't seem to be a lot of love for the first game
>>
>>4076224
I've always felt like enemies have a bit too much health in MM5. Like if everything just took one less shot to kill it would probably improve the pace a lot.
>>
>>4071153
MM4
MM6
MM3
MM5
MM2
MM1
>>
4>1>6>5>2>3
>>
>>4075964
Thanks a lot for that art.
>>
I love mm2 and mm1.
3 is ok but i do not like 4 5 6
For the truth I love how to use boss guns like electric thunder or Metal Blead to kill multiple enemies in one shot. But I can not do it again in 3 4 5 6 .
>>
File: rm5_productionart_037.png (392KB, 1393x1035px) Image search: [Google]
rm5_productionart_037.png
392KB, 1393x1035px
>>4076240
Are you kidding me? Most things go down from a single charge shot. The charge shot is OP as fuck in 5. Alongside the level design, enemy placement, and enemy design, it's like a stroll through the park and all you have to do is keep unleashing charge shots on your way
>>
4 probably has the best overall set of powers. Nothing's too powerful, almost all of them are useful outside of skull and wire, and the good ones are fun to use instead of being just a replacement for the buster
>>
2 and 3 suck. They both have terrible design. The only reason anybody says this garbage is because it's the 'right' opinion to have. 4-6 are better than 1-3 in every way.
>>
2>6>5=4>3>1
>>
>>4077907
I love and hate the charge shot. It breaks gameplay, no doubt. I always hated charging and jumping and walking later dashing. By the time the zero games came out it was like playing twister and was painful. Especially since bosses and enemies were now designed around the charge shot.

Maybe itd be cooler if you pushed select or something to use the charged version, which would take your health or a ton of weapon power or something.
>>
>>4077952
>t. casualbabby
>>
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nwNWwLGwLjw
>>
I haven't beat them since i had the mega collection back in the day but i still find them fun...

If we include MM7 then thats above 3 for me
>>
powered up is better than any of the shit nes games
>>
>>4071153
This
>>
>>4078430
Not with it's shitty art style.
>>
File: image.jpg (36KB, 284x177px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36KB, 284x177px
>>
File: photo.jpg (91KB, 459x363px) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
91KB, 459x363px
>>4078552
I agree
>>
>>4076232
I love it
I think it might be the best one
>>
>>4071228
>Needle Man theme
It's definitely the best
>>
>>4078328
The problem isn't the charge shot itself, by definition. MM4 has its and it remains quite balanced.

The problem in 5 is that its hit detection size is huge, bigger than in 4 and 6. Also charging is rather short, and then, everything is weak to it. MM4, or even MM6 a little bit, have their moments when you're better off using the regular shots or even something else, but in 5 the charge shot works great against absolutely everything.
>>
I suppose I'll rank them based on my desire to go back and replay each game:

MM4 > MM5 > MM2 > MM3 > MM6 > MM1

Though to be fair I didn't play 6 until the WiiU, when I played through it a few times. 2-5 are very nostalgic from my childhood but I barely remember anything about MM1.
>>
File: Mega Man Cute.png (329KB, 804x670px) Image search: [Google]
Mega Man Cute.png
329KB, 804x670px
Mega Man 4
Mega Man 3
Mega Man 2
Mega Man
Mega Man 5
Mega Man 6
>>
>>4079314

I just beat MegaMan 4 again the other day, and with or without the charge shot its the easiest game in the classic series and doesnt feel that balanced to me. I like 5 and 6 a lot more because of it.

>toad man literally just jumps at you and uses TRain if you miss him, but only if you miss.
>Pharoahman is a joke with or with out BFlasher

Ringmans in particular is great and i like the levels, but I dont see how 4 is more balancd than 5 let alone 6.
>>
File: 53.jpg (2MB, 2392x3488px) Image search: [Google]
53.jpg
2MB, 2392x3488px
>>4079684
Here is the thing, as far as regular enemies, mid bosses, and even bosses themselves are concerned, in 4 the charge shot isn't always the best option. The game is designed so that the charge shot is an adition, but not something that completely replaces the regular shots, and you have to constantly switch between the two depending on the situation. Plus, the charge shot's hit detection isn't that big, so you actually have to aim with it.

In 5 and 6, and especially 5, the entire game is built around the charge shot. There is no reason to use something else. Like, ever. It's made even worse in 5 because of the flat level design/enemy placement and the huge size of the charge shot, so you barely even have to aim.

As for bosses, in 4 there is only one robot master which patterns are a total joke, Toad Man. In 5, every single boss is a joke, and in 6, most of them are.

And to make matters worse, in 5 and 6, bosses have a long invicibility time when they get hit. This was made for a single reason: to avoid charge shot spamming, but as a result, it punishes the player who uses the regular buster, rendering the fight a chore with it. The result is that it locks the player into only one solution: the charge shot, against every single boss, which is not the case in 4. Take for example Dive Man, you have to be smart to safely unload charges against him, because you'll want to use the regular buster to destroy its missiles.

Pic related
>>
>>4079726
At least 6 has a fun set of weapons (and the adapters) to use if you don't feel like charging 24/7. What are you gonna do in MM5? Spend ten hours trying to kill something with Power Stone?
>>
>>4079726

I see what youre saying but ive done buster only runs in 5 and had a great time, its one of my favs.
>>
Can I have opinions about the following statement?

2 and 3 are the best because neither game has a perfect order to do the stages/bosses in.

In 3 there are two weakness cycles
Magnet > Hard > Top > Shadow > Spark > Magnet
Snake > Gemini > Needle > Snake
meaning you are forced to fight at least two bosses without the correct weapon.

While in 2 there kinda is a almost perfect weakness cycle
Quick > Metal > Bubble > Heat > Wood > Air > Crash (IIRC Flash Man is weak against most weapons)
the "correct" weapon isn't always the best one to use. For example you are better off using Air Man's weapon against Wood Man as it can shoot through his shield instead of spending ages to charge up Heat Man's weapon while Wood Man is hiding behind his shield. Also Quick Man is a weird one, his weaknesses include Flash Man's weapon that takes half of his life away and his "true" weakness Crash Bombs is hard to hit him with. Also 2 gives you a dilemma for the order to do the stages in: do I really want to do Heat Man's stage without Item-2 or Quick Man's stage with Time Stopper? I will never understand why latter is considered impossible nowadays NOT having a perfect weakness cycle for bosses or optimal order to do the stages in gives 2 and 3 (especially 2) lots of replay value compared to other games where there is an optimal order to do the stages in. For example in 4 there is little to no reason to not go Toad > Bright > Pharaoh > Ring > Dust > Skull > Dive > Drill which is the best order to do both stages and bosses in.
>>
File: MM5shieldtest158-2.png (11KB, 256x232px) Image search: [Google]
MM5shieldtest158-2.png
11KB, 256x232px
>>4079786
That's a good point. I never really thought about that because I rarely use the weaknesses.

>>4079747
Yeah, 6 is fun for the adaptors and its weapons too. 6 is miles ahead 5 imo, but it still retains some of the flaws of 5.

>>4079763
If 5 is your fav, you should try my romhack:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3343/

I did my best to try and come up with something that feels "classic", that could be an actual MM game. With time I think I failed in some aspects and I want to update it. Some of the bosses patterns, I went a little overboard with the speed values, that I want to change, and I also want to improve the weapons I altered and alter most of the weapons.
I won't be doing this soon though because atm i'm working on bringing Protoman, the way he looks and play sin 9/10, to 5. It's 95% done atm .
>>
>>4079726
It's less the size of the charge shot and more the difference in enemy design. Most of Mega Man 5's enemies are in that 1-3HP range where they're instantly massacred by charge shots. It's the same reason Gravity Hold is the most useful screen nuke despite being the weakest on paper. Minor enemies in 5, not just bosses, have significantly longer invulnerability windows after getting hit, and this kills the lemon. Finally, 5 has the worst set of special weapons out of the NES games by far, so there's less incentive here than anywhere else to experiment with anything besides the charge shot.
4 has many more enemies with 4+ HP, as well as more minibosses. 6 does too, but they take it a step further by stripping the charge shot of its continuous property, so it gets canceled out when it hits something instead of automatically clearing out that row of the screen. 7 fixed the problem by lowering the charge shot's power from 3 to 2.

>>4079786
I agree inasmuch that not having one obvious order through the game is a strong point, but the wonky balance kind of ruins it. Metal Blade is widely understood to be one of the strongest weapons in the series, Shadow Blade invalidates MM3's double loop because five of the other seven are weak to it, and MM3 Rush Jet is MM3 Rush Jet. Once you get any of these, the game falls apart around it and the rest of your choices are inconsequential.
>>
>>4079927
>6 does too, but they take it a step further by stripping the charge shot of its continuous property, so it gets canceled out when it hits something instead of automatically clearing out that row of the screen.

I think that depends on the enemy though, and actually 5 has a line of code for that too. Every time you kill something with the charge shot, it checks which enemy it was, and depending on it, deletes the shot or not. IIRC it's only effective against big enemies like Yudon or the Robo Giant though.

>7 fixed the problem by lowering the charge shot's power from 3 to 2.

IIRC that's only for bosses but I don't know 7 as much as I know the others.
>>
>>4079786
>I will never understand why latter is considered impossible nowadays

Because the timing is so tight that if you fail to take the fastest path through each room immediately after the transition, it's instant death. It's probably not impossible but I can't imagine many players would get through it the first time without dying.

I think people are focusing too much on Toad Man when it comes to MM4. It's obviously the easiest boss fight on a new player's first playthrough since simply shooting at him is all it takes, but once you're familiar with all the patterns, Dive and Dust are almost as easy. Often I start with Ring or Skull because they're the most fun bosses to fight IMO; in fact I tend to leave Toad for last because it's the least interesting one.

I'm not sure what the optimal pattern for MM4 stages (without considering the bosses) would be. I generally stick to the buster and only use the special items in a couple of spots.
>>
File: garbage.jpg (29KB, 480x272px) Image search: [Google]
garbage.jpg
29KB, 480x272px
>>4078430
Wrong
>>4078552
Right
>>
>>4080236

Nothing shitty about this.
>>
1 > 4 > 2 > 6 > 3 > 5

MM1 feels completely different in terms of music, enemies, and level design. It always feels refreshing to play it over any other game in the classic series.
>>
GOD TIER/PEOPLE SHIT ON THESE TO BE CONTRARIANS TIER

GREAT TIER BUT PEOPLE FUCKING SUCK AT VIDEO GAMES SO THEY CRY AND SAY IT SUCKS SINCE THEY CANT BEAT IT

UNDERRATED BECAUSE MUH SPRITE SIZE TIER

OKAY TIER

SHIT TIER
>>
>>4079981
Every robot master in 4 except Pharaoh and Drill is piss easy with the buster. Bright is really tough to do without taking damage but pretty easy to just beat.
>>
>>4081393
>UNDERRATED BECAUSE MUH SPRITE SIZE TIER
Thank god the 8-bit demake exists so I can enjoy MM7 without the bullshit.
>>
People who dislike 6 have no style and tuck their graphic t-shirt into their cargo shorts.
>>
>>4081519
4-6 are too easy desu. Charge buster was a mistake.
>>
>>4075964
Huh. It's not 50% off anymore.

What gives? I thought Steam wasn't doing the "daily deal" thing during the summer sales anymore.
>>
2 > 4 > 3 > 6 > 1 > 5

They're all really good games, mind.
>>
File: guts_of_steel.png (523KB, 749x584px) Image search: [Google]
guts_of_steel.png
523KB, 749x584px
3 > 1 > 2 > 7 > 4 > 6 > 5 > 8
>>
>>4081408
The 8bit demakes did a good job at least as far as the boss fights are concerned, but they're missing too much stuff, and some art isn't great.

Also for 7, the change of scale is really obvious and makes some levels like Freeze Man or Shade Man stage a joke in the demake, while they're fine in the original. They changed the scale, but was the scale like that to begin with, some enemy design and placement would have been different.

Also part of what makes 7 and 8 so good is exactly their art styles.

also
>not a single mention of Rockman & Forte itt

It's a great game. I love it. It has some bullshit moments but the higher difficulty is a welcome change of pace, and Bass is tons of fun to play as.
>>
>>4071517
MM4 definitely doesn't get enough love and I hate seeing MM3 always being ranked higher.
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.