[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does someone learn about electronics and components? I have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_2365.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2365.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
How does someone learn about electronics and components? I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing with my arcade cabinets except aesthetically fixing them.
>>
>>4070592
cabinets themselves are dead simple.
the whole point of a JAMMA connector is that a line (like coin, or test, etc) is grounded to "activate".

Same for buttons and directions on the joystick.

Almost everything not video or audio related will have 2 wires connected to it
the data wire (P1 button 1, Test, coin 1, etc)
and a ground wire. A properly wired cab will use a single ground loop that daisy-chains all the ground points together into the power supply's ground terminal.

As far as repairing PCBs, electrical theory and some youtube videos on electrical engineering, soldering, how to use a multimeter, logic probe, oscilloscope, etc will teach you a lot.
>>
>>4070592
Coin slots like in your pic are almost entirely mechanical, not electronic. Tear a broken one apart. There's a little balance that makes sure it doesn't weigh to much or too little and then possibly a magnet that makes sure its not ferrous. As far as the pcbs go learn to read electronics schematics like with a 100-in-1 electronics projects kit. Then you can step up to considering the discrete logic at work.
>>
I bought an arcade machine more than a decade ago with zero experience. It showed up broken, so I was forced to teach myself how to get it back in working order. Today I fix machines for a living.

No matter how old or new, arcades are essentially oversized computers: there's a power source, something that runs the game, input (buttons/joystick), and output (image/lights/sound). A basic fundamental understanding of circuitry can get you 80-90% of the way there.

I look at arcades as giant Lego or Erector sets, just be sure you ask why it's called a "flyback" before you touch it.
>>
>>4070592
>>4070627
>had never touched a soldering iron in my life
>managed to recap my Neo-Geo MVS to fix the sound

It's not so bad. Modding is pretty fun and satisfying. It's great to have a little know-how because you can pretty easily get shit that's "broken" and do a quick fix to have it in working order.
>>
Bumping for interest

OP, is that a Xybots cabinet?
>>
File: 50-5618-00_xv[1].jpg (61KB, 617x800px) Image search: [Google]
50-5618-00_xv[1].jpg
61KB, 617x800px
>>4072052
Damn Anon good eye. I would have never noticed that and I love Xybots. Guess OP will want this.
>>
File: IMG_2358.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2358.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>4072052
Decently surprised that you guessed that, Xybots isn't the most common game
>>4072094
That's actually really useful. I'm having some trouble with the joystick currently where it sticks forward. I'm fairly sure it's the metal prongs touching, so I can probably toss a very small amount electrical tape in there to add some resistance for the pressure

Pic related
>>
Watch Randy Fromm's videos like this one on monitor repair: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsZ5PJB-w2s

Fromm is the guy who taught arcade technicians back in the day, and has some of his old instructional videos online.

There's alot more by this guy floating around but you have to dig for it (old VHS tapes, torrents?) as he's protective of his IP.
>>
>>4072308
Found the fucking torrent!: https://thepiratebay.org/torrent/6633991/Randy_Fromm_Arcade_School

There's even a fucking video on how to fix vector (XY) monitors...how nuts is that for esoteric knowledge? I'd say go through this classic 80's course and you will be a god tier arcade tech at the end.
>>
>>4072308
>>4072320
Good find.
>>
>>4072203
You just need to bend it back a bit
>>
>>4072597
Thank you! Works great now
>>
>>4074768
Yeah that spring steel works its way in the direction it's sprung sometimes. It IS pretty brittle though so just visualize like if it was an aluminum soup can you can bend it a bit but if you went so far that soup can metal were to fold, the spring metal will just break.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.