/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If Yamauchi was still alive today running Nintendo, how differently

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 11

File: yamauchi.jpg (20KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
yamauchi.jpg
20KB, 480x360px
If Yamauchi was still alive today running Nintendo, how differently do you think things will be going.
>>
>>4070196
Probably be out of business or bought up by Sony.
>>
>>4070214
Thats a fucking huge claim to make.
>>
>>4070216
Not really. You need multi media support for a modern console to be successful. Nintendo was against that or not willing to make the investment.
>>
>>4070218
Not unless it was considered successful, which Sony and Microsoft proved eventually.
>>
>>4070216
He was driving the company into the dirt with his unwillingness to change with the times, like picking cartridges Over CD
>>
>>4070219
Factually false. See the GC.
>>
>>4070220
Cartridges was still a good move and did not deter Nintendo's success. CD worked for Sony cause it was a better sacrifice for the cinematic experiences they wanted to pursue. And that DVD player really helped them in the end, something Nintendo couldn't do cause licenses.
>>
>>4070226
>Cartridges was still a good move and did not deter Nintendo's success.
Man I'm a Nintendo fanboy but I'm not that retarded. The N64 was a fuckup.
>CD worked for Sony cause it was a better sacrifice for the cinematic experiences they wanted to pursue
What the living fuck are you talking about, kid? PS1 and cinematic experience? Do you know what the launch games for the PS1 were? Practically all arcade games. Unless you're one of those people that consider all FMV to be cinematic.
>>
>>4070227
>the N64 was a fuckup

Strange considering its one of the top consoles of video game history. Unless you believe that just because the PS1 sold more, it immediately makes the N64 be a failure. You know, the console that is the benchmark of the turn of the century of video gaming in general.
>>
>>4070229
>Strange considering its one of the top consoles of video game history.
It's ranked to 20 in the top selling consoles if you're talking sales. Massive flop coming off the SNES.
>Unless you believe that just because the PS1 sold more, it immediately makes the N64 be a failure.
That's on the reasons. Your competition outselling you is generally considered a loss.
>You know, the console that is the benchmark of the turn of the century of video gaming in general.
What does that even mean?
>>
Someone post the oni pasta
>>
>>4070236
So now we're stating the N64 was a failure? You sound very underage.
>>
>>4070241
When you fail to meet the sales figures of you past consoles by that much and your competition outsells you by that much then yes. Pretty basic sales figures. Think even a kid can comprehend that.

N64's 32mill vs SNES 50mill and PS1's 102mill. It failed.
>>
>>4070250
You're underestimating how much of a success that is. You're not even including Nintendo's first party sales, which were the bulk of the N64's success to begin with.

>oh the competition sold more, so we're going bankrupt

You're a dumbass. Nintendo made bank during the N64.
>>
>>4070254
So in your kid logic all that matters is you made money or broke even? Fuck that your competition is blowing your console the fuck out in sales and making more money?
>>
File: welp.png (124KB, 640x768px) Image search: [Google]
welp.png
124KB, 640x768px
>>4070250
>>4070241
>>4070254
>>4070236

Alright to add to this discussion here's an infograph that shows revenue during the N64 years.

As you guys can see, Nintendo was clearly doing just fine even if the N64 wasn't as strong as the NES or the SNES. The only people doomsaying Nintendo back then were quite literally the same people that do it now: fans of Sony.

The N64 did not "fail". The Virtual Boy failed. The Sega 32X failed. The Dreamcast failed, and arguably the Saturn failed too. To say that the N64 failed is to say that 2nd place is for losers, and I guess to a degree that might be right but when Nintendo is still in the green financially I don't see the issue.
>>
>>4070259
Sony wasn't even competing with Nintendo. Sony just happened to claim a larger market. There was still a crossover of people who played Nintendo and PS1 games. I was one of them. People who werent video gamers before became one due to the PS1's appeal to "realistic graphics." It was a market Nintendo wasn't going to touch regardless. So where ever this notion is of the N64 having lost or whatever despite still being a video game success makes me wonder where your history twisting is coming from.
>>
>>4070263
Now subtract gameboy.
>>
>>4070259

>kid logic

You're the one using childish logic here, my dude. Just because they got beat by Playstation and weren't Number 1 anymore didn't mean that they "failed". Get a grip anon.
>>
>>4070264
>Sony wasn't even competing with Nintendo.
We're done kiddo. You are clearly underage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTi5EaocGaY
>>
>>4070265

>Now subtract Gameboy

Why? We already know from context that the N64 was still a success. Nintendo has never sold hardware at a loss, unlike Sony.
>>
>>4070267
>my dude
We're done kiddo.
>>
>>4070269
I was there when that commercial happened. It was all in good fun. Neither of these companies show hate to one another, even during conferences. In the end, they all know its just a contest to see who gets the most money. And all of them are richer than either of us ever will be. So there's really no reason to be fanboying for anyone.
>>
>>4070270
>Why
Gee I don't know?
>>
>>4070272
Stop, I really don't give a single fuck about what you have to say after making that ignorant of a comment. Let alone that PS1 only exists because Nintendo was incompetent.
>>
>>4070276
This has went off a tangent.

Your claim was that cartridges was a retarded concept. But clearly as history has shown, Nintendo had many benefits with using it compared to a CD. The load times were smaller and the physical copy lasted longer than a CD. So I think they made a good decision with using cartridges, since it didn't stop the sales of the N64.
>>
>>4070271

>kiddo

I'm 27. If you can't handle low-tier bantz like that you're really something else.

>>4070274

Well that was riveting.

>>4070276

The PS1 exists not because of Nintendo's incompetence but because of Sony being jewish. What else is new?
>>
>>4070280
>>4070282
What part of what I said don't you understand? No one should take anything you kids have to say seriously after making that ignorant of a statement. Sony not in competition with Nintendo? Sony and Nintendo being on good terms? Holy shit you kids need to fuck off back to your containment board. Summer is here.
>>
>>4070287

I literally never said any of that, anon. Show me where I did.

All I did was jump into the discussion and post an infographic that shows Nintendo wasn't worried during those days. Nintendo has almost always done what they wanted and ignored what the competition has done, and for the most part its worked out.

I think you have autism.
>>
>>4070295
>Neither of these companies show hate to one another
>Sony wasn't even competing with Nintendo
Inb4 that wasn't me. I honestly don't give enough of a fuck. You posted in that chain. If you are a separate guy that posted that sales chart that included gameboy and N64 you're just as bad.
>>
File: 1461046842997.jpg (34KB, 479x317px) Image search: [Google]
1461046842997.jpg
34KB, 479x317px
>>4070297

It wasn't me and you really should calm down.

>you're just as bad

Why? Because I posted evidence that showed the N64 wasn't a failure? Hardware and software sales data show that the N64 was still strong. It was 2nd place. Calling it a failure is short-sighted and missing the big picture.

If you really didn't give a fuck you wouldn't be so buttflustered, it is almost like you're a Sony fanboy that just can't handle the truth that while Sony got the most console sales that generation they had to eat major losses at first. Even without the Gameboy, Nintendo would've been fine. Worse off, but fine.
>>
>>4070307
Nintendo has been reliant on gameboy for years.
>>
>>4070314

>Nintendo has been reliant on gameboy for years

You obviously mean "handhelds". Not "gameboy". Jeez, am I talking with a pajeet?

Anyway, to argue that the success of their handhelds means that they're losing money in the console business is flawed reasoning. You need to think more before you post.
>>
N64 was a failure for N64 owners. The underageb& here don't remember the long gaps between game releases for it.
>>
>>4070328
You mean the gaps third parties freely filled for them back when gaming was still thriving.
>>
File: laughing_gook.jpg (121KB, 610x343px) Image search: [Google]
laughing_gook.jpg
121KB, 610x343px
>>4070330
>N64
>third party
>>
>>4070334
history says otherwise so I dont know what you getting with that post.
>>
>>4070334
>>4070328

I don't know what you're talking about. There were droughts especially at first, but my buds and I were too busy playing all the wrestling games, racing games, and FPS games on it that we didn't give a shit.

>wrestling

Damn right. Those games on N64 were the shit at the time. They were some of the more popular games on the system too. Doesn't matter that you weren't interested, many others were.
>>
>>4070326
>pajeet
This explains your retardation and throwing words in my mouth. Either some dumb kid and or 3rd world.
>>
>>4070362

Never put words in your mouth. You're desperately trying to save face when you were wrong on an anonymous message board. Stop. Go eat some food you like or something.
>>
>>4070518
>Never put words in your mouth.
See above post, retard.
>>
>>4070534

What's your problem?
>>
>>4070539
I'll help you dumbass
>Anyway, to argue that the success of their handhelds means that they're losing money in the console business is flawed reasoning.
I never said that.
>>
>>4070227

The N64 sold more than each SEGA console. It was not a failure by any means, but sony made a good move and earned most of the market. The real reason the ps1 and even ps2 sales were so huge was due to piracy. Third world countries were finally able to afford videogames because of it.
>>
>>4070572
>The N64 sold more than each SEGA console.
What an achievement.
>It was not a failure by any means, but sony made a good move and earned most of the market.
That is a failure... What fucking kid logic is this shit that kids keep spouting?
>The real reason the ps1 and even ps2 sales were so huge was due to piracy
Maybe years after release. The majority of console sales were in America which had near no piracy until the very late 90s.
>>
>>4070579

>What an achievement.

So you're saying Sega always sucked?

>That is a failure... What fucking kid logic is this shit that kids keep spouting?

not it's not. Just because you're not leading it doesn't mean a failure. The n64 made money, kept its fanbase satisfied with the product (having some of the best games ever made) and had sales close to what the xbox one are having nowadays. It's not a failure, but the ps1 was a sucess. There's a difference.

>Maybe years after release. The majority of console sales were in America which had near no piracy until the very late 90s.

you know that by "america" it counts latin america as well, right? There was no oficial sony reprentation in these countries, the console were all brought from the US and resold in other countries. I grew up in one of these third world countries and let me tell you, the ps1 and later ps2 were the first affordable videogames people could have here. Everyone had a playstation but not a single original game. That's acessing a market the size of the USA that was previosly untouched.
>>
>>4070263
>The Virtual Boy failed.
It didn't sell that bad. Actually, it sold pretty well, but as it caused headaches, was quickly discontinued.
>>
>>4070579

see:
>>4070263
>>
>>4070596
>So you're saying Sega always sucked?
SEGA's main interests were never on consoles. Their modus operandi was always focused on arcades, where they reigned supreme until arcades faded away in '00s.
>>
>>4070596
>you know that by "america" it counts latin america as well,
No it doesn't. It means NTSC U/C.
Also see >>4070620 someone who's not an underage retard like you.

Fucking retard.
>>4070617
Retard linking back to the gamyboy shit again. Neat.
>>
>>4070328

I remember, there was no droughts. You could easily buy a decent game every 2 monthes. Don't believe me? check this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronology_of_Nintendo_64_games

It's much better then gaming nowadays where you have to wait for 1 or 2 good games each year all coming out at the same time of the year.
>>
>>4070625

>No it doesn't. It means NTSC U/C.

You clearly don't know what you're talking about. Go inform yourself.
>>
>>4070632
No I actually do dumb fucking kid. What is measured by America is NTSC U/C. This is for all video games.
>>
>>4070620

I don't care about their main insterest. You're saying that Sega always sucked on consoles and they were only worth anything on arcades? Is that it?
>>
>>4070639
Man you are autistic, kid. You have diffulty understanding non absolutes.
>>
>>4070636

oh really? now guess what was the analog system used in games in latin america?
>>
>>4070647
>oh really? now guess what was the analog system used in games in latin america?
Don't know and don't care. I assume you mean the TV standards? They're all over the place in beanerville.
>>
>>4070641

you're the one telling me they produced consoles which they didn't care about because their main focus was on arcades.
>>
>>4070652

see how you don't know what you're talking about?

latin america uses NTSC as well. Consoles at the time were all imported from the US. (even nowadays nintendo consoles come straight from the USA to these countries because they don't have official nintendo representantion in most of them and as such count as US sales)
>>
>>4070656
I'm agreeing with that anon because he's right. You're trying to put more words in peoples mouth.
>>
>>4070659
Listen kid. NTSC and NTSC U/C are completely different things. It's like DVD regions.
>>
>Replies: 61
>Posters: 9
>>
>>4070240
did you know Hiroshi Yamauchi wasn't actually a human being? He was a vessel that enclosed 7 yakuza oni spirits from 7 different regions in Japan. These oni monopolized the gambling in Japan with the hanafuda Nintendo cards and put a spell so that no other company could produce cards, truly evil.

Yamauchi, often referred to as "大魔王 ティラノ天堂" (Great Evil King Tyranotendo), tyranized the video games market with his monopolic practises, it is said that the Master System or the PC Engine didn't actually ever exist, and that they were invented time after so hide the fact that the Famicom was actually the one and only console existing in Japan.
>>
>>4070196
If Yamaguchi were still alive, he would TAKE A GODDAMN FLAMETHROWER TO THIS PLACE
>>
>>4070543

Yeah bud I reread the chain. You're a dipshit. You keep bringing up the gameboy as if Nintendo would have been in the red without it and then act like you're not making this line of reasoning.

You're putting so much energy into N64 hate when everyone that is even remotely aware of what transpired during the era knows you're full of it, its the most pathetic thing I've seen on this board in months.
>>
>>4070662

What part of "Consoles at the time were all imported from the US" you didn't understand? do you think the consoles change region when they cross the border?
>>
>>4071330
Because there's trackers for illegal imports...
>>4071109
You can't read. Shame what common core does to you kids.
>>
>>4071335

>you can't read

I never took common core. You kept bringing up the gameboy. Just shut up already. On my end you look like the biggest dipshit on the board.
>>
>>4071343
I know I do because you lack the mental capacity to see how including the gameboy in a conversion about home consoles skews the data. Believe me I've been dealing with you kids all summer.
>>
>>4071349

>skewing the data

No one said it wasn't skewed you fucking moron. You were specifically told that even if the gameboy was removed, they wouldn't be in the red. You ignored this multiple times.

You're the problem here bud.
>>
>>4071372
You also lack the mental capacity to understand that loosing a ton of market share is bad. And just throw out assumptions.
>>
File: 1474653708486.jpg (41KB, 402x402px) Image search: [Google]
1474653708486.jpg
41KB, 402x402px
>>4071387
>loosing
>>
>>4071392
Damn got me, kid.
>>
File: 1497920708395.jpg (62KB, 435x427px) Image search: [Google]
1497920708395.jpg
62KB, 435x427px
>>4071387

>You also lack the mental capacity to understand losing a ton of market share is bad
>and just throw out assumptions

Really anon? You're the only one here throwing out assumptions. I am not a kid no matter how much you insist I am.

No one even said that they beat Playstation. Not a soul. They got 2nd place. That doesn't make it a failure. This is how this argument began, you're obsessed with the false notion that the N64 was a "failure".

If you want to bitch about "summer", look in the fucking mirror.
>>
>>4071403
Losing over 50% of your market share is a failure. The N64 wasn't aimed for a niche market.
>>
>>4071405

Yet the console still turned a profit. Success is still success, even if it wasn't as good as last time and a competitor beat you. You have no idea what "failure" actually is when it comes to business and likely have the autism.

You really don't know what you're talking about.
>>
>>4071409
You're telling me Nintendo's goal was to lose over 50% of its market share and make most of its profit from software sales?
>>
>>4071335

No, they have no way of tracking those sales. In Brazil alone there were around 30 million ps1 users. Do you know how many of these ps1 were officialy sold by sony? ZERO. Sony was not even allowed to sell the ps1 or ps2 in Brazil due to legal reasons. They were all shipped from the US after being bought there and then resold in Brazil or entered the country through Paraguay in the same way. They are all NTSC consoles that sony could never keep track where they actually went to.
>>
>>4071417
>In Brazil alone there were around 30 million ps1 users.
Source my ass.
>>
>>4071410

I think a goal was to make profit, which they did.

The company made profit? Yes.
The consumers are pleased? Yes.

Then it was not a failure. Move on.
>>
>>4071423
That's a nice way to explain business to elementary students I guess.
>>
>>4071410

You really can't read or infer anything correctly. I did not say anything remotely close to that. You really have some issues, pal.

Sony beat them good and they knew it, but they weren't in the red. They can succeed and not be number 1. Your brain is for some reason incapable of understanding that you can lose market share, turn a profit, and not "fail".

The way you define failure is flawed and all of this shit is more complex than you make it.
>>
File: 1396774885_195466.jpg (8KB, 294x204px) Image search: [Google]
1396774885_195466.jpg
8KB, 294x204px
>>4071428

Not an argument. Fuck off.
>>
>>4071429
You seem incapable of understanding that a failure can still make money. Seems you can only understand absolutes.
>>
File: 1463818362337.gif (4MB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1463818362337.gif
4MB, 320x320px
>>4071432

>this nigga literally thinks that anything that doesn't have 50% market share or more is a failure

You're easily the most insufferable faggot I've ever been in a discussion with on this board. Grats, faggot.
>>
>>4071436
When your goal is to make money it is, kiddo.
>>
>>4071419

source: do you read portuguese? It's about the ps2 but the ps1 was equally popular if not more.

https://jogos.uol.com.br/ultimas-noticias/2012/03/31/segundo-ibope-mais-de-60-milhoes-de-brasileiros-possuem-videogame-em-casa.htm
>>
>>4071439
I can't read that shit and I ain't about to start believing some source from a 3rd world shithole.
>>
>>4071439
sopa de macaco
>>
File: kermitthefrogkermit.jpg (28KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
kermitthefrogkermit.jpg
28KB, 300x400px
>>4071438

>When your goal is to make money it is
>nintendo made a profit off the N64 era
>this faggot is incapable of understanding this

You suck at arguing. Calling me a kid isn't changing anything.
>>
>>4071446
Kid you have some kind of mental defect. This will go on and on because you are incapable of understanding anything but absolutes.
>>
>>4071449

More like this will go on and on because your definition of failure is flawed. Get over yourself. Again, calling me a kid isnt changing anything.

Anyone that knows their shit knows that modest successes arent failures. Youre just a dumbass and to make yourself feel better, you imagine me as a 12 year old. Pathetic.
>>
>>4071462
I was giving you credit in assuming your were underage.
>>
I wonder how many of the morons in this thread who are trying to compete to be older than each other are going to eventually kill themselves.

That'd be really nice, if in addition to post count and poster count, the thread stats would state future suicide count. It'd put things into perspective.
>>
>>4071537
Edgy.
But yeah console warriors were a mistake, and Sony fans take console warring to a whole new level, thankfully /vr/ only has 1 Sony system (apart from the Sony-made MSX)
>>
>>4071537

There was literally only ONE person in this thread that was debating around the topic of age. One.

It was this faggot >>4071465 and like >>4071742 said was clearly a Sony fanboy.

>>4071465

That's a really weird way of admitting you're a fucking dick that can't understand what it means to actually fail in the industry.
>>
>>4070287
>summer is here
look at this fucking faggot!
>>
File: 1495677074262.jpg (74KB, 592x533px) Image search: [Google]
1495677074262.jpg
74KB, 592x533px
>see OP
>"good idea for a thread, hope there's some good conversing going on here"
>entire thread is console war shitposting

You guys fuckin' suck. summerfags get out
>>
>>4072317
>implying it would have been different any other time of the year.
Surely you're not THAT delusional.
>>
>>4070220
you do know that because of CD based games piracy became a huge problem. Almost everyone I know who had a PS1 als had a big binder full of copied games. Same goes for the PS2 and Dreamcast. This was just partially the reason why Nintendo refused to adopt CD's as their new format.
>>
>>4070221
No one cared about multimedia when the GCN was in development, it was only after the PS2 shipped with DVD support that it became a standard, but even then, Nintendo hasn't ever had a console that doss it.
>>
>>4070241
>Im losing an argument because he is presenting number backed arguments and Im spouting some stupid "sign of the millinieum" bullshit
>Ill just call him underage

Just because your 30 and still obsess about old games doesnt mean you know what youre talking about.
>>
>>4072768
>No one cared about multimedia when the GCN was in development
Was a big thing for 6th gen actually, champ.
Thread posts: 104
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.