[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does it feel to know you grew in a world in which great games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

File: 830titlescreen[1].png (4KB, 256x240px) Image search: [Google]
830titlescreen[1].png
4KB, 256x240px
How does it feel to know you grew in a world in which great games will be forgotten and disregarded as 'retro', 'old', 'get the remake for iphone'?

Consider this: These games were a great event in their time. Hundreds of thousands played them and enjoyed them like there was nothing better. Discussions, reviews, and new friendships were born under their shadow. Literally they shaped the way we play games today. Yet people will not experience them as a great thing, but rather like old toys, like your dad's wood sword.

How does it make you feel? For me, it removes credibility to videogames. Consider music, films and literature where old creations are regarded as better and unique. No one would think of The Iliad as a "great book for its time but dated".
>>
The fuck dude, Nintendo games are still remembered, a bit overrated and overpriced even. Try being an Atari or Segafag and you'll see what real obsolescence looks like.
>>
>>4070090
Okay, but imagine books were invented less than 50 years ago. Do you think any of the greatest books of all time were written within 50 years of the invention of written language?
>>
>>4070090
>No one would think of The Iliad as a "great book for its time but dated".

most people think that (at least the ones that know what the illiad fucking is), they just won't say it
and I'd argue simple games (AKA ones without stat autism) with unique and addicting gameplay are timeless (tetris, snake, pong, pacman, minesweeper, sokoban etc.)
>>
>>4070090
I highly doubt that sentiment will remain forever. We're hitting a phase where some of the classics of old are still familiar enough to be seen as older versions of modern games rather than something else altogether. There will come a time when these games are placed on a pedestal when modern games are so far divorced from them to be nearly unrecognizable save for a few quirks here and there, and that will be the time that old games will be held as true forefathers of the medium.

Honestly though, I think games like Quake are probably going to be the big ones that hold that title. There was a clear line of development from Wolfenstein/Doom/Quake to modern game engines, and I'd say everything that came before will be seen as a proto-game with id's offering being the first "modern" videogame.
>>
>>4070090
>No one would think of The Iliad as a "great book for its time but dated".

The Iliad literally opens with two men arguing over a sex slave, and one of them is the "hero" of the story. Yes, I think a lot of people would consider the Iliad to be dated.
>>
I do not give a fuck. People can do as they please.
>>
>>4070090
But I love final fantasy. It's my favorite game for PS4.
>>
>>4070090
The current staleness sweeping over the graphics battle that is modern AAA gaming is bringing out the old glory of these titles, which focused on function over form. Fucking shocker, when developers focus on function over form, you get a game rather than some shitty art-house abortion.
>>
>>4070094
I can't get into Atari at all and it bugs me quite a bit. I appreciate the games for their simplicity but can't really be bothered to play them longer than 15-20 minutes. I still think they are historically important but, if we make an analogy with movies, Atari games are Lumiere shorts, while early computer, NES and Master System games are the first feature films.
>>
>>4070090
What are you talking about? Old games are still adored today. FFI has been rereleased on fucking everything.

Also I don't know about you but books and such really do age. I remember in high school reading "The Scarrlet Letter" and thought it was shit. Read it again a few years ago thinking I just didn't get it but no, still boring shit. I'm not saying all books are like that, but to say they don't age is a bit misinformed.
>>4070108
I don't think this argument works. The first 50 years for books probably wasn't that great for the simple fact that people snd society as a whole was less advanced. Videogames have had a better first 50 years then other media like books, music, or film if only because it is the most recent media.
>>4070228
Also this. In general more people are becoming bored with the current trends of gaming. Look at E3, barely anything other then BG&E2 and two new metroids no one even really cared about anything. Before designers had to be smarter, what made a developer good was understanding the limitations of what they were releasing a game for and working. Today there is basically no limits on what you can do with a game, and maybe that made developers a bit lasier. I feel like more then ever people start games and have to cancel them since they had no idea how ambitious thier idea actually was.
>>
>>4070303
>books do age

You just need to get into the headspace of the reader the author had in mind. I'm reading Joyce's Ulysses right now and for the first 100 pages or so I thought I was going to lose my mind out of boredom and not understanding any of the weird references. But eventually it clicks and suddenly I see why it's regarded as a masterpiece.

Old games are like that too. Like art, music, and literature, it's important to sit for a minute and consider the context at the time of games' creation.
>>
>>4070319
I get that but for some stuff it just is difficult. Going back to my example, The Scarlett Letter, I understand the value of it and what it meant at the time of its writing. The twist was probably insane to those that read it at its release, today I find the twist laughably stupid. Even then its main topic, religion, is something more people today kind of ignore or even denounce. Overall I just find something like it can't really be read except for historic value.
>>
>>4070127
Illiad is so cliche. I've heard that stuff a million times by now.
>>
>>4070090
>Yet people will not experience them as a great thing, but rather like old toys, like your dad's wood sword.
Well, I enjoyed dad's wood sword.
Too bad I was given many his toys in retarded age.
>>
>>4070419
>anon gets fucked retarded by his own dad
>>
>>4070090
How do you feel about all the books, movies, music and other forms and art and entertainment that were before your time? Do you endlessly fret over those as well? Because if you do, you should seek professional help.
>>
>>4070108
Gilgamesh is still a 7/10, sadly.
>>
>>4070286
for systems like atari and other consoles at the time you dont need to get as developed in them as you would with more modern games. I love Atari because i can play one game for a few minutes then move onto another one and play that for a few. Its better to have a big list to choose from
>>
>>4070090
One day Undertale will just be some dumb game your dad likes
>>
>>4070090
How many comics, pulp stories and even literature from a century ago will be forgotten forever or only viewed as something vintage? We know Proust, but what else was published that year, off the top of your head?

how many people under 30 do you know who like the Universal monster movies unironically, as in with no air of pretense or as a quirk? This happens with everything.
>>
>>4070303
isn't tale of genji the oldest known book? it's long as fuck and dry, but it's pretty tightly crafted dude
>>
>>4070369
That book is just shit. The top 100 list by TIME or whatever is seriously full of garbage. 20th century lit is nothing like you were taught. Read Pessoa, or Mishima or The Recognitions, not middle brow trash like Vonnegut and other HS tier stuff.
>>
>>4070090
>How does it feel to know you grew in a world in which great games will be forgotten and disregarded as 'retro', 'old', 'get the remake for iphone'?
shrug, shit gets old. including us. i can still play retro vidya if i want. i haven't lost anything.

you know, it seems like a lot of anxiety people talk about on this board has to do with being concerned OTHER PEOPLE won't respect the hobby. people would be a lot happier if they spent more time enjoying the games and less time wringing their hands about who's watching.
>>
>>4070090
It doesn't feel like anything.

Nothing matters in the grand scheme. Everything you care about is worthless. It doesn't matter what you do, the next round of faggots will fuck it up and ruin everything you've ever cared about.

Stop caring about the future. Just worry about yourself, and do what you care about with your shitty ~75 years on this shithole.
>>
>>4071009
Hey don't shit on Vonnegut dude. His work is genuinely admirable in just how fun it actually is to read. Is he a good of writing? No but his stuff is still good for what it is.
>>
File: tylor_1.jpg (21KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
tylor_1.jpg
21KB, 300x225px
>>4070090
I don't care what other people think about my private entertainment. Besides, my two best friends agree that FFVIII is the best FF and that's all that matters.
>>
>>4070286
The issue may not be that it's old, but simply that that sort of game wouldn't have been to your taste even when they were new.

I was born in 1973, and by 1980 have pretty clear memories of playing Atari games, when they were still pretty new, and I didn't care for high-score based gameplay even at the time. My favorite games on the Atari were ones you could finish rather than just play until you lost: Adventure, Superman, Haunted House, Star Master, that sort of thing. (And multi-player things like Combat.)
I did play the standard high-score games like Missile Command and Space Invaders a little bit, but I was never passionate about scores and didn't keep track of them from one day to the next.

Meanwhile in the 21st century, brand new simple high-score games like Fruit Ninja and Flappy Bird still get attention from a lot of people, so some people just like that sort of thing.
>>
>>4071075
This.
But me and my girlfriend think that the best Final Fantasy is Final Fantasy V.
>>
>>4071009
Ohh /vr/ good to see you're as nutty about everything else as you are about video games.
>>
File: maxresdefajljult.jpg (126KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefajljult.jpg
126KB, 1280x720px
>>4071075
If you were my friend, you'd have three best friends (yes, i'm that good) that agree that FFVIII is the best FF
>>
>>4071075
>"I don't care what other people think about my private entertainment"
>4chan is a simple image-based bulletin board where anyone can post comments and share images.
>>
>>4071773
What did ESL-kun mean by this?
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.