[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's your favorite retro city builder, /vr/? I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6

What's your favorite retro city builder, /vr/? I've had a hankering to play some Sim City, but I thought I'd see if anyone else had recommendations for something different, since I've played it to death.
>>
>>4069959
Try Populous.
>>
File: pharaoh.jpg (890KB, 2304x1296px) Image search: [Google]
pharaoh.jpg
890KB, 2304x1296px
The Sierra city building games (Caesar 3, Pharaoh, Zeus, Emperor)
>>
Either Caesar 3 or A-Train
>>
File: Afterlife.png (97KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
Afterlife.png
97KB, 1280x960px
>>4069959
Not cities as such, but I've always had a soft spot for Afterlife
>>
>>4069959
To be honest I could never figure out SimCity 2k. I didn't play it when it came out, and so much of it is obtuse to me now. I feel like the city develops in a semi-random manner that may or may not reflect the changes I make.

>>4069978
These are good suggestions. Caesar has maybe the best music and setting, but Pharaoh takes that and adds some quality of life updates that make it much more playable on the higher difficulties / maps. My girlfriend has almost no interest in games at all, and when I showed her Pharaoh she binged it until 4 am, four nights in a row.

I haven't tried Emperor yet, but Zeus definitely sticks out. It's a classic example of "we did a total overhaul and modernization of the graphics and UI, while casualizing almost all mechanics and dropping the historical realism for cringey tongue-in-cheek humor".
>>
>>4069978
>>4070009
I'll have to try these out, I think I played Caeser a long time ago back when Fileplanet was still a think, but I can't remember.

>>4070000
I thought A-Train was only in Japanese?
>>
>>4069978
>half the city is massive temples and colossal statues

gotta love that game. nice music, too.
>>
>>4070040
Nah there's a DOS version but despite being called A-Train its actually the third game in the series or something. Kind of like what happened with King's Field.
>>
Anno 1602 was a great game.
>>
>>4069959
Lots of great suggestions, though A-Train remains the comfiest. The fact that you're not all powerful but only in charge of trains and invest in real estate, and see the city developing is satisfying.

Settlers 2 and Anno series are great too. Haven't tried a Sierra city game since Caesar 2 and felt pretty overwhelmed at the time. Is Pharaoh the best entry point?
>>
>>4070009
Read the manual. tfw i still have SC2K SE on disk
>>
>>4071783

I'd say say start with Caesar 3.
>>
Settlers and Utopia for me.
>>
File: s3.jpg (127KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
s3.jpg
127KB, 960x720px
Settlers 3 never gets any love. I liked it.
>>
File: kam4.jpg (48KB, 412x500px) Image search: [Google]
kam4.jpg
48KB, 412x500px
>>4069959
knight and merchants
>>
>>4072198
>>4072282

KaM and Settlers are not city building games.
>>
>>4072325
You're a sperg.
>>
>>4069978
Wait what? You can rotate stuff in pharao?
>>
>>4072369
Yee boi, press the "R" key. Also lets you get different variations on things like statues and monuments so they don't all look the same.
>niggas ain't readin' dem manuals

>>4071791
Just realized when I gave it a shot... I didn't read the manual first.
>I'm dat nigga

>>4071783
I haven't played Caesar 2, but Caesar III and Pharaoh are very playable. Pharaoh has quality of life upgrades over Caesar III, but they will make you grumpier if you play Caesar III second. So, start with Caesar, and the skills you pick up will make you a powerful Pharaoh.
>>
>>4070040
http://store.steampowered.com/app/492090/ATrain_PC_Classic__APC/
>>
Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom.

I haven't found one I've enjoyed more thematically and graphically. Gameplay-wise I could live without the walkers.

Shame there's no Edo building sims with beautiful sprite art.
>>
File: ohedotowns.jpg (135KB, 800x480px) Image search: [Google]
ohedotowns.jpg
135KB, 800x480px
>>4072521

There's one for mobile phones. It's actually pretty decent and not p2w.
>>
>>4072282
Knights and Merchants!!! my nigga
>>
>>4072607
It's really not p2w? Is it that shit where you need friends to click on things for you so you can get points needed to expand?
>>
>>4072675

Nope. It's a great game, like all Kairosoft games are.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.