[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Suppose I wanted to play this on Virtual Console; is there anything

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: hqdefault (1).jpg (35KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (1).jpg
35KB, 480x360px
Suppose I wanted to play this on Virtual Console; is there anything particularly wrong with this version? Any obnoxious censorship? Is the translation unacceptably bad?
>>
nah you're fine. Just decide before you go in whether you prefer the snes or gba music
>>
VC version is the Woolsey translation. I personally am fine with that and indeed find it to be the more approachable translation, but weeb purists REEEE hard over it.
>>
>>4069732
SNES version = original version so I'd prefer that by default

>>4069734
As long as the translation properly captures the intended mood of the dialogue I'l be happy with it
>>
I recommend the Ted Woolsey uncensored patch, it retains the majority of his script well cleaning up some of the rougher parts, it removes the censorship, and fixes a shit ton of bugs. http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1386/
>>
>>4071139
what got censored? I'm debating whether to buy the VC version, which I assume can't be patched
>>
>>4071291
When Celes is first shown getting beat up in that dungeon, supposedly there's a line that vaguely implies sexual assault. It doesn't really tho. Some people think this was censored. It wasn't.

Other than that, the usual Nintendo stuff like changing pubs to cafes and removing references to drinking or smoking. One of the summon graphics (Shiva? can't remember) was altered to cover up some 16-bit butt cheeks. I think another boss sprite had nipples covered up, too.
>>
>>4071291
Censored in the original US release:
-Enemy sprites and Esper sprites were covered up. This includes the final battle.
-drinking references
-religious tones in the script (it has to do with the origin of magic in the game)

Also the original script suffers from slight mistranslations in some places because some things don't translate well from Japanese to English audiences. And to top it off, there is a lot of grammar mistakes that weren't fixed because Ted Woolsey didn't have enough time to full proofread it. It's not bad overall and is enjoyable IMO.

The GBA, Mobile, and Steam versions still censor the Esper sprite, but they also censored the scene where Celes is introduced.

Playing the VC version is fine. It IS the original SNES version and it's still a great game. If you can inject a patched version of Ted Woolsey Uncensored Edition into it, I'd say go for it.
>>
>>4069693

If you're emulating, gba. if not, snes (tho the snes version is broken).
>>
>>4074339
How exactly is the SNES version broken? I was under the impression that the GBA version was an interior port.
>>
>>4075465
Different anon, but a few times my inventory has glitched out in rather awesome ways. You'll suddenly get 255 of all sorts of wacky items - usually it's just tinctures & shurikens, but sometimes it's been awesome shit like Genji Gloves and Atma Weapons.
>>
>>4075465
Off the top of my head:
The Sketch ability is glitched. Can be used to get strange results like >>4075661 mentioned.
The Evade stat is useless, Magic Evade is used for everything instead.
Casting Vanish on an enemy makes it so instant death spells always hit, even if they're intended to be immune.
>>
>>4075796
I should mention that these never bothered me much personally, just wanted to point them out. The SNES version is fine.
>>
>>4069693
The censoring isn't obnoxious, mostly just avoiding the word "death" and "killed", any references to religion like names or using the word "God" and taking out any alcohol or references to sexuality, which is only ever used comedically like Cyan being accosted by a lewd bar wench.

>When Celes is first shown getting beat up in that dungeon, supposedly there's a line that vaguely implies sexual assault. It doesn't really tho. Some people think this was censored. It wasn't.

The actual censorship was reference to Celes being executed the next day.

Aside from that Woolsey makes mistakes here and there and sometimes gets a little carried away with how he characterises some of the cast, for example he casts Locke as being insecure and easily ruffled by being called a Thief whereas in the Japanese he's extremely calm and collected.

The only character Woolsey gets completely right is Shadow.

That aside there are only a few small changes for obvious censorship reasons that affect the characters but they're marginal in the grand scheme of things.
>>
>>4075951
I wish someone would have realized that Celes should be named Ceres to pair with Terra
>>
>>4075957
But it is Celes, the names are romajised in the ending credits and that's how it's spelt.

and Terra is actually テイナ but was obviously changed for sounding like a barbie doll. Although a solution would be to use a weird spelling like "Teenah" or "Teana"
>>
>>4075465
Up until PS1 (maybe even then? I'm not very familiar with them past that) almost every initial FF release had several glaring bugs. Not enough to make the game unplayable but bad enough that you have to wonder what the fuck was wrong with the programmers.

For example, entire stats do not work in FF1 and 6. FF1 never uses INT and 6 uses magic evasion for every check, ignoring the physical evasion stat. This means the blind ailment does literally nothing, ever.

I play the rereleases out of principal, if only because everything works as intended.
>>
>>4075994
Somewhat related, I found an interesting interview with Woolsey. Apparently play testers hated the name Tina.
"TW: Sometimes it was legal issues or concerns (as in having characters with the same names as those in, let's say a well-known movie or something), often it was because of comments from play testers. Before we released a product, dozens of people had played it. They were never hesitant to mention their likes and dislikes. They "hated" the name Tina, almost to a person! (I was surprised as well...). In Mario RPG I wanted to name a character "James Bomb" (i.e. The name's Bomb, James Bomb...) but that was nixed."
https://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Bob_Rork_Woolsey_Interview.html
>>
>>4076005
There was always loads of oversight in JRPGs just on the basis that they had a ton of outcomes and not enough Q&A to iron them out.

With FF6 they just never had anyone use vanish and a death spell in combo nation, because they programed invisible enemies to always be hit by spells 100% but didn't realise that this flag would occur before the flag that would tell the script that they were immune to instant death thus skipping the check.

FFVII had simular issues, such as magic defence on armour doing nothing which you can tell because the magic defence value on the status page doesn't change when you put on or take off amour. And similarly the blind status doesn't work right but only when used on enemies.
>>
>>4075951
>he casts Locke as being insecure and easily ruffled by being called a Thief whereas in the Japanese he's extremely calm and collected.

[source needed]
>>
>>4076371
>{ロック}「ど・ろ・ぼ・う?
>俺を呼ぶならトレジャーハンターと
>言ってくれ!
>老人「ハッハッハ!
>同じようなもんじゃろうが!
>{ロック}「ちっちっ!
>大ちがいだぜ!!

>商人「お前は悪名高いドロボウ
>{ロック}だな?
>{ロック}「おっと
>トレジャーハンターと言ってくれ。

Compare this last part to the Woolsey script

>{LOCKE}: Hey!
>Call me a treasure hunter,
>or I'll rip your lungs out!
>>
>>4076443

That's interesting. It's clearly much more stoic --- do you know if the Japanese script still used the surprise animation for when Locke was flustered over being called a thief?
>>
>>4075796
also Blindness status is bugged and doesn't do anything (except the cool shades)
>>
File: goggles.jpg (36KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
goggles.jpg
36KB, 512x384px
>>4076487
That's right. The Blind status was meant to work using the Evade stat, so it ended up being pointless.
>>
>>4076471
Yes the animations are the same, the issue is 2D sprites don't have a lot of subtlety so they have to be overtly expressive sometimes just for comedic effect
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.