[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>200mhz CPU >16MB RAM >8MB VRAM How did they ever put

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3

File: dc_1257.jpg (197KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
dc_1257.jpg
197KB, 1200x800px
>200mhz CPU
>16MB RAM
>8MB VRAM
How did they ever put a working PS1 emulator on hardware that weak?
>>
I don't know but it was amazing. To this day I've only ever beaten MGS on a Dreamcast, and it was such an improved experience.
>>
By ignoring accuracy.
>>
>>4068184
I had a PSX emulator on my 2000 PC. It worked fine.
>>
>>4068184
The DC uses a RISC based processor, 10 times faster(roughly) than the PSX's RISC based processor. While they might not have been able to do a 1:1 port of the environment, they probably were able to get pretty close. Makes me wonder how many system calls they could do natively.
>>
Dreamcast and PSX both used a MIPS I compatible 32 Bit RISC CPU.

PSX: R3000A
Dreamcast: SuperH

Both had a similar vector floating point unit on die. Very little needed to be emulated on the CPU side.

PSX's GPU was also a very rudimentary thing, easily emulated by the Dreamcast's PowerVR GPU.
>>
>>4068204
Had one on my G3 B&W Mac in 1999
>>
File: image.png (211KB, 500x361px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
211KB, 500x361px
>>4068184
>Bleemcast will never be released with the full list of compatibility they promoted
>only ever for three games

Granted, those games are excellent, but it still feels bad man
>>
>>4068184
>Cowboy Bebop
Wow, didn't realise that was a thing
>>
>>4068221
Bleempak A, B and C exist in the wild now, offering compatibility for 300 games.

They leaked in 2008.
>>
>>4068224
Wat

Where?
>>
>>4068184
When the Dreamcast came out it had stronger hardware than practically any high-end PC at that time.
>>
>>4068237
No it didn't. There were PCs four to five times as beefy.
>>
>>4068225
this this this.

All mentions of the pak are dated from like 2003. The betas are nowhere near the comparability you are reporting here.
>>
>>4068218
Virtual Game Station was incredible
>>
>>4068315
I had a PSX, but my parents forbade me from playing it outside of vacations, not even on weekends. I could freely use my PC, though, since it was "educational", but it had no internet connection, and the only PC games I had were educational crap. But then my cousin installed some emulators, including the VGS. Imagine my excitement when I found out I could just put my PSX games on the CD drive and play. Since I was playing on PC, it fell in a loophole and my parents let me (they weren't exactly tech literate)
>>
>>4068341
That's pretty rad, anon. My parents wouldn't buy me video games until the N64 came out (I was born in 88), so I played my much older sibling's old Atari 2600 for most of my younger years, so I can (kind of) relate. Even after that I had to buy most everything myself, which lead me to buying 'retro' stuff because it was very cheap at the time. It worked out in the end, now I can afford whatever games I want and I love retro games. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>>
>>4068237
You're and idiot.
>>
>>4068184
>working
>at those specs
>or any specs

I was there, and it ran like shit with twice those requirements thrown at it with shitty compatibility and glitches.

VGS was half decent, but it didn't have any memey acceleration or filtering going on.
>>
>>4068352
Except we're talking about the dreamcast version, not PC.
>>
>>4068221
I mean technically who still cares. Bleemcast is pretty impressive but these days there are way better PS1 emulators
>>
>>4068363
Oh I know, but the novelty of playing Sony's exclusives on Sega hardware is magnificent. I just wish we got more than a cobbled together selection of one-offs
>>
As I recall, in order to bypass using the SONY bios so they wouldn't get sued, they reprogrammed the emulator from the ground up in assembly. It was a pretty impressive emulator.
>>
>>4068382
https://dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=29658&start=100
>>
>>4068297

Yeah, he's talking out of his ass. The beta that leaked in 2003 can barely play anything, who knows if the later revisions are even out there - the Bleem devs probably deleted them in case they got out and Sony decided to take them back to court for round 2.
>>
>>4068429
I think that poster is confused by the upload date of the beta disc on theisozone which what put up in 2008.
>>
I forgot about this. Does it have any nice perks like playing playstation backups?
>>
>>4068221
>overrated shit like MGS
>excellent

your taste blows, m8
>>
>>4068618
Yeah there's no copy protection whatsoever.

This is the reason Sony wanted to take it down. Nothing to do with the emulation per se.
>>
>>4068618
Yes indeed, I found a MGS bleemcast disc a few years ago that I had bought for $1 or something at an Electronics Boutique when the DC was going extinct. I burned a copy of MGS from emuparadise or whatever and it booted right up, it was rad.
>>
>>4068620
>le contrarian opinion
epic bro, simply epic
>>
>>4068204
>2000 PC
2000 was 600mhz age

>>4068223
>Cowboy Bebop
theres just half an hour or something worth of cutscenes, apparently it happens between a coupe of anime episodes, you can find a compilation of all cutscsnes
>>
>>4068184

also that corn emulator was pure sorcery. I remember playing Mario64 from beginning to end without a hitch on a K6-2.

Sadly I think it only worked with Mario64
>>
>>4068184
>How did they ever put a working PS1 emulator on hardware that weak?
People actually knew how to program and utilize resources back then. They squeezed everything they could out of those little chips, the end result wasn't always great but you get the idea. It might seem like I'm putting them on the pedestal but you can't ignore the feats they accomplished

Now we're frivolous with memory and CPU because it's abundant and things are better now.
>>
>>4068184
>200mhz CPU
That's basically a Pentium II, and they can barely emulate PS1 on a PC, so why not a console with more optimised hardware?
>>
>>4069428
You don't know much about computers, do you?
>>
>>4068221
>>only ever for three games
I played Intelligent Qube using the beta and it was near perfect. So you can make that at least four games.
>>
>>4068184
RIP
>>
>>4069334
I'd like to think it was because an industry brainiac was working with a single spec system more so than "people were better back then before this nu generation showed up" or something like that. People who work on P64, ePSXe, or whatever are probably just college students with a hobby for reverse engineering.
>>
>>4071272
Yeah these people were obviously seasoned professionals playing around after work
>>
File: 1450088380-00.jpg (39KB, 300x394px) Image search: [Google]
1450088380-00.jpg
39KB, 300x394px
Let it go guys.

Bleem is dead and buried.
>>
>>4069428
>Thinking that a Pentium II is the same as the SuperH SH-4 CPU

Bet he adds all his cores together to say he has a XX.XXGHz machine.
>>
>>4068632
>Nothing to do with the emulation per se.
Yeah why would Sony get mad about people who do not own their console potentially playing their games on a competitor's instead?
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.