[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT Games that aren't actually as good as you remember

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4

File: 2483712-diddy_kong_racing.jpg (76KB, 600x414px) Image search: [Google]
2483712-diddy_kong_racing.jpg
76KB, 600x414px
ITT

Games that aren't actually as good as you remember them being.
>>
I really liked this game. I still do. I suppose DK 64 comes to mind.
>>
>>4066626

Spyro 1
>>
I dunnae dudeski, DKR is pretty legit. It's more apparent to me now how much of it wasn't finished, sure, but it's still solid stuff.
>>
Sunset Riders and Joe & Mac.
>>
>>4066631
I'm emulating it right now. While I loved it as a kid there are some pretty big issues, most with adventure mode.

>16 tracks
>have to repeat the tracks with coins and for the trophy race
>very limited amount of items

It's still mechanically a great game, but man is it hollow. Still love the game to death.
>>
>>4066651
>man is it hollow
did you ever fucking play Sonic R which came out in the same year?
>>
>>4066656
What's wrong with Sonic R?
>>
>>4066665
DKR has like 50 times the content of Sonic R
>>
>>4066630
This is true. Spyro 2 is still great though.
>>
>>4066668
padding content in a racing game is pointless if the actual gameplay isn't fun.
>>
>>4066651
>16 tracks
Back then, isn't that great? MK64 had 16 tracks, and I think many racing games had less.

>have to repeat tracks in new modes
I understand this being "mandatory" for adventure mode is a bad thing, but it gives single player more variety. Sonic Racing Transformed did the same thing recently and is praised for how much single player content it had

>Very limited items
ya

You barely said anything about the game itself being bad, and you start this off asa "Games that arent actually as good as you remember them being" thread?
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (21KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
21KB, 480x360px
>>4066673
>You barely said anything about the game itself being bad

Never implied that it was bad, just not as good as I thought it was.

>Back then, isn't that great?
I guess it's not so bad. I will say that tracks are all pretty fucking nice. The "bosses" still feel unnecessary if you ask me though. Plus I forgot about the battle tracks. So technically there's 24.

On a side note, fuck this guy.
>>
>>4066672
I found the silver coin challenges plenty fun in DKR, but that might be because I enjoy a game that offers a challenge instead of one that just rolls over like a modern game.
>>
>>4066680
I wouldn't disagree with you if you said "There should be a grand prix mode"
But I really like DKR story mode, and Sonic Racing Transformed single player mode. I wish Mario kart would do shit like this
but they should also keep grand prix mode
>>
Perfect Dark. I swear I couldn't remember it being so laggy.
>>
>>4066697
stop trying to play it in high-res mode
>>
>>4066680
>So technically there's 24

I keep forgetting shit. Plus the space levels and the two races against Wizpig. So I think that puts it at 30.
>>
>>4066629
Agreed. Even when I was younger DK 64 didn't seem that good to me.
>>
...Most JRPGs. Now that I'm older, the characters, plot, and overall writing of most JRPGs I used to love is just yawn inducing and/or cringe worthy. The ones with good gameplay mechanics are still very fun for me, but those are few and far between.
>>
>>4066823
This is me.
Try diving into the wonderful world of WRPGs instead, if you haven't already. So much more freedom and actual character development.
>>
>>4066680
>"ALCOHOL!"
>>
>>4066831
So true. I have a lot of fun with all the good WRPGs I missed growing up. I get all the fun of min/maxing and tweaking party setup, with story and dialog I don't have to groan through.

They just tend to not be as comfy as a good JRPG.
>>
>>4066823
Jrpg is not a genre
>>
>>4066961
Can you recommend me one? I have literally never played a WRPG.
>>
>>4066626
Final Fantasy VIII.
>>
>>4066708
How about the adventure overworld? That would make 31.
Not to mention all the inaccessible track data left over from development

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLAHZXj3Ol8
>>
File: ulya.jpg (45KB, 300x452px) Image search: [Google]
ulya.jpg
45KB, 300x452px
>>4066986
Yes it is

Characteristics of the JRPG include

>Made in Japan
>Cringe inducing plots
>Copying old computer rpg's but completely missing what made them fun
>Menus
>Awful character design (excluding DQ)
>Boring Menu Combat
>>
>>4066626
Games don't age. Fuck off.
>>
>>4066704
How do I turn that off? Is it in settings?
>>
>>4067142
Mario 64 is 21 years old soon.
Used to only be 1 year old.
>>
>>4067172
No, fuck you, you are the one who aged.
>>
>>4067181
In the context of the thread, you're 100% right. Game's dont age, gamer's perspective age and realize some games they only liked because they were a dumb kid or didn't know better

But I just wanted to clarify games do age, simply because time moves on. Not regarding quality.
>>
>>4066629
I've thinking that was a bad game despites the fact I'vrs really enjoyed B&K.

Fun fact I've always thinking M64 wasn't that great, it was like coming back to SMB1 with really few enemies. It was probably done in purpose to adapt people to 3D but I've though Mario was encaged in a small area despites he was able to travel into the world in Mario 3 or Mario World.
>>
File: IMG_8272.jpg (117KB, 640x447px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8272.jpg
117KB, 640x447px
>>
>>4067146
yes
>>
>>4067260
Pleb detected
>>
>>4067258
Mario 64 is still pretty great honestly one of the best 3d platformers ever.
>Mario was encaged in a small area despites he was able to travel into the world in Mario 3 or Mario World
The stages in mario 3 are quite small. Its a notable diffrence between it and the other 2d marios.You've got a point that world had big levels.

Notably most of the complaints you can level at mario 64 are notably addressed by its sequels (which aren't /vr/) . 64 does manage to beat the rest of the catalog of them on the n64 for me. Banjo and kazzoie is great, but its controls aren't nearly as tight.
>>
>>4067695
Shenmue did a lot of things right. Gameplay wasn't one of them.
>>
>>4067841
Sounds like you got rekt in the free battles.
>>
>>4067856
Regardless, they're not fun to play.
>>
>>4067863
I found them very fun and rewarding. Then again, I'm not a button-mashing mongoloid.
>>
>>4066989
Daggerfall, geneforge, divine divinity, might and magic.
>>
>>4067868
You can't convince me all the moves you can do have a unique purpose with strategic depth. The fight scenes are minor parts of the game, just like in a movie. Just beat em up dead and then move on to the next scene. Shenmue is the Virtua Fighter equivalent of Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero.
>>
>>4066639
WRONG
>>
>>4066651

>16 tracks

It's 20 excluding the 6 boss tracks (unavailable outside of boss races)

Also 3 overworld races, lol.
>>
>>4068025
Also the 4 battle arenas.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.