[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>So how would you like these levels designed? >Hold the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 10

File: IMG_4109.png (612KB, 1024x500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4109.png
612KB, 1024x500px
>So how would you like these levels designed?
>Hold the control key, click on an object, then press the V key until the level is full.
>Got it.
>>
>OP can't into time traveling
>>
>>4066613
He's talking about the strange all-over-the-place level design.
I kinda like it, myself. Makes it stand out, even though it's weird as fuck.
>>
Stardust Speedway > Quartz Quadrant > Palmtree Panic > Collision Chaos > Metallic Madness > Tidal Tempest > Wacky Workbench
>>
>>4066637
>He's talking about the strange all-over-the-place level design.
The level structure changes with each time zone, that's why some things seem "all over the place", but it makes sense if you explore the zones in their different timelines.
>>
>>4066675
That's true, but then why don't those 'out of place' items appear to the correct time zone? I agree that it does make the levels stand out (although I could put random blocks and coins in a SMW hack and consider it standing out) but perhaps it could've been avoided.
>>
>>4066683
>but then why don't those 'out of place' items appear to the correct time zone?
They're there in all time zones so you know that you can go there in another time zone and collect those rings you see inside the wall.
>>
Sonic CD is for people who enjoy platforming and exploration. The 'random' and incomplete looking level elements are there to show you that there's something of interest there in another time zone. Since you're meant to backtrack and explore the stages repeatedly in order to find all the objects you need, it helps to have points of reference when things change between time zones.

All that being said, if you're someone who prefers holding right on the dpad and timing spins and jumps to get across a zone, CD is NOT for you. 2 is the highlight of the series of you prefer speed and timing over careful platforming.
>>
>>4066664
Good taste
>>
>>4066898
>2 is the highlight of the series of you prefer speed and timing over careful platforming
2 forces you to slow down and think if you want to reach the higher paths and star posts for maximum enjoyment and 100% completion. Sonic CD feels like a bunch of shit scattered everywhere with minimal cohesion.
>>
>>4066898

It is more than just holding down right, simpleton. It's the sense of speed. If I wanted to play a platformer, I would play anything else.
>>
>>4069279
>>4069301
>2 babbies getting butthurt when someone insinuates that their game can be brute forced

Every time.
>>
>>4066898
did you even play 2
>>
>>4066898
I like exploration in my games, but CD is not a good example of an exploration based platformer. The level design lacks any real details to get me interested in exploring them. Its too gamey for me.
>>
>>4066898
There's no "careful platforming" in CD. Forcing you to go slow doesn't mean it's good
>>
The only good things about CD were the cutscenes (including music) and introduction of Metal Sonic. The level design and implementation of new mechanics and features was poor.

CD was basically a fangame that managed to convince a fancy studio to make them some animations.
>>
eh
It just needed a little more incentive to explore different time zones. Good game is good.
>>
File: sonic.jpg (11KB, 200x285px) Image search: [Google]
sonic.jpg
11KB, 200x285px
>>4073157
Sonic 2 created metal sonic though.
>>
>>4073157
>second game developed by the team that worked on Sonic 1
>fangame
>>
>>4066580
ass blasted casual detected
>>
File: Mecha_Sonic_(8-bit).png (650KB, 859x859px) Image search: [Google]
Mecha_Sonic_(8-bit).png
650KB, 859x859px
>>4075225
that /m/echa sonic
>>
People don't get Sonic CD because the levels aren't branching paths that go from left to right, instead they're all huge rectangles that you have to chill out in. If you don't want to chill out you're not going to have a good time.
>>
>>4066675
>but it makes sense if you explore the zones in their different timelines.
explain.
>>
File: s2-cpz-summaryimg.png (7KB, 320x224px) Image search: [Google]
s2-cpz-summaryimg.png
7KB, 320x224px
Good level design: varied and branching paths, yet coherently laid out. Good balance between vertical and horizontal, greater importance placed on horizontal. Graphics not a cluttered mess. No seemingly random placement of objects.
>>
File: Sspresent.png (10KB, 320x224px) Image search: [Google]
Sspresent.png
10KB, 320x224px
>>4075883
Shit level design: far too many paths. Unfocused design. Game bounces you back and forth between paths too often. Completely random placement of springs. Cluttered graphical design. Complex for complexities' sake. Utterly no balance between density and openness. Just all dense. Places too much importance on moving vertically over horizontally. Designed by baby brains.
>>
>>4075883
enjoy getting stuck on the slowly moving platforms after falling into the purple water and drowning.
>>
>>4075916
>babby doesn't know how to platform
>>
>>4075225
no that's silver sonic
and cd was made before sonic 2
>>
>>4075920
it's stage 2.
>>
>>4076061
What's your point? That's even worse. Complaining about some minor platforming challenges on the second stage of the game. You're just a emubabby who has to savescum to get through Sonic motherfucking 2.
>>
>>4076059
>no that's silver sonic
Doesn't matter. The concept of a roboticized Sonic was introduced with 2.

>and cd was made before sonic 2
Wrong.

>Sonic 2 release date: Nov 21st, 1992
>Sonic CD release date: Sep 23rd, 1993
>>
>>4076143
>minor
>>
>>4075916
Enjoy your non-argument.
>>
File: metal.jpg (147KB, 478x508px) Image search: [Google]
metal.jpg
147KB, 478x508px
>>4075225
yeah but that one is fugly

CD Metal a cute
>>
>>4075916
>being this garbage at Sonic games that you struggle at one small section of water.
>>
>>4076156
>six fingers
>>
>>4075916
>Struggling with Chemical Plant

I'm surprised you have the motor skills to even use a computer.
>>
>>4077325
>>4076884
>>4076152
>>4076143
>>4075920
https://youtu.be/WYDsz1NFBJw?t=112
>>
>>4077837
Not an argument. Also,
>thinking aids moby's opinion is worth anything.
>>
>>4077865
I tend to think Sonic fans have the biggest set of nostalgia glasses on known to man. If the Sonic games are worth anything beyond nostalgia, respond to that video's central point. If you don't, there's no reason to take your opinion as anything more than falling for a meme.
>>
>>4077871
I'm not watching the video lol
>>
>>4077875
Then your argument isn't reasonable. If you don't want to be reasonable, that's fine, but don't pretend you're being anything other than unreasonable.
>>
>>4077871
>fell for the eceleb meme
Can you form an opinion without some faggots telling you what to think? No. You can't.
>>
>>4077883
Can you form an opinion without nostalgia?
>>
>>4077886
>muh nostalgia
Not an argument.
>>
>>4077889
Not an argument.
>>
>>4077894
You literally just copy and pasted someone else's argument. Go watch your ecelebs and begone bitch.
>>
>>4077898
>This mad about Sonic.
>>
>>4077901
Enjoy your summer off
>>
>>4077904
What game should I play
>>
>>4077908
Sonic 2
>>
>>4077915
Shit levels
>>
>>4077321

Hello, my name is Sonic Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die
>>
The only people who still think Sonic is a well-designed games are people who haven't given it a second thought and have emotional hooks in it they can't or won't get rid of, even for a second. This probably explains why the worst possible people happen to be Sonic fans: low-intelligence people whose sole security is the good, but eroded, feelings they get from Sega's old marketing.
>>
>>4066898

No, it's for people who are too pretentious and contrarian to admit the more popular main series games are better.
>>
>>4077939
not an argument
>>
>>4077865
I like how these guys slam sonic for the same reason the fat guy likes Vanquish, because you have to git gut to get it.
>>
What is the go to way of playing sonic CD outside of sega CD or emulating? It isn't on sonic jam or any dreamcast compilation unless I'm forgetting something. And I assume people don't want to crack out gamecubes to play with that d pad. Is it a really hard game to emulate right? because it is always left out of sonic emulations despite being the most elusive classic game
>>
>>4079395
The recent-ish port that's on PC, 360, PS3, etc.
It's the best way to play it and features a proper spindash option and Tails.
Plus its widescreen and has the choice of JP/US soundtracks.
>>
Sonic CD is the best in the series if you're an autist about the momentum and physics of 2D Sonic, since the levels are basically just giant playgrounds to show the different mechanical aspects of the game and you need to manage your speed to reach new time zones. Additionally, CD has some of the best music in all of the classic series and the visuals to match, as well as super peel out, which gives superior speed over the regular spin dash if you're not a retard and know how to protect yourself during it.
>>
>>4079395
It got a re-release of sorts a few years ago iirc, so just check on steam or psn.
>>
sonic cd should and does feel like a random jumble of shit since each level was made by a group of completely different people
>>
>>4079438
I played that, on and off, drunk

I never did figure out what the point of time traveling was but I mashed buttons and got most of the way (?) through the game, 45 minutes or so in still haven't continued

yay Sonic, the hardcore arcade-like platformer for master gamers
>>
File: 1496509319312.png (9KB, 300x310px) Image search: [Google]
1496509319312.png
9KB, 300x310px
>>4077321
>>
>>4077837
>Letting other people form an opinion on your behalf

Fag
>>
File: 1443925441832.jpg (71KB, 579x647px) Image search: [Google]
1443925441832.jpg
71KB, 579x647px
>>4077837
>judge a game based on how similar it is to how commercials made by people who likely never played the game describe it
>HOLD FORWARD TO WIN GOTTA GO FAST RITE???
>cherrypick instances where you ran into obstacles like a dipshit and act like it's the game's fault for not playing itself

nice argument fagtron
>>
Can we all agree that Sonic CD is the weakest 16-bit entry and that 2 is the real sequel instead with this never existing?
>>
>>4077837
>two faggots spend 16 minutes making excuses for why a children's video game is to difficult for them
>>
What always keeps me on the side against Sonic CD is the memory that when I played stardust speedway for the first time, I actually stopped the game to look up a walkthrough video just to make sure my game wasn't bugged and causing levels to be randomly generated/broken. The level design for Sonic CD is so bad I sincerely mistook it for being randomly generated or just buggy.

Obviously not trying to form an actual argument here, just posting my experience.
>>
The only level I had trouble with was Metallic Madness Act 2.

That shit made no sense whatsoever.
>>
>>4085862
Its just one big maze. I actually enjoyed it, despite getting frustrated with it.

Wacky Workbench on the other hand...
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.