[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fire Emblem thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

File: 1417720971480.png (48KB, 512x446px) Image search: [Google]
1417720971480.png
48KB, 512x446px
Fire Emblem is my favourite SRPG series because I really appreciate the level design. Despite the relatively simple game mechanics, the gameplay feels fresh and varied throughout the entire game because of creative maps which pose different specific challenges, and the game offers various tools to overcome these challenges in several different ways. Resource management is another major part of Fire Emblem, as is the medieval fantasy setting, and some people like the later games in the series for the characters.

What's your opinion on the Fire Emblem franchise?
>>
Not an argument sweetie
>>
>>4065619
(lol
>>
>>4065619
Fuck off grandpa cuck
>>
Caeda a best and canon
>>
Never go to the Fire Emblem general on /vg/
>>
>tfw no milf to call me sweetie
>>
@4065619
not even worth a (You)
>>
>>4065645
meant for >>4065619
>>
Somebody posted this thread in /feg/, which is in full shitpost mode right now.
>>
>>4065619
>creative maps which pose different specific challenges
except in Gaiden
>>
File: 1487205992662.jpg (223KB, 480x626px) Image search: [Google]
1487205992662.jpg
223KB, 480x626px
RUKINA!!!
>>
>>4065635
>>4065636
>>4065638
>>4065639
>>4065641
>>4065642
>>4065645
>>4065647
>>4065653
>>4065657

>>4065619
Apologies for these chucklefucks. This rabbid shitposting was the result of a bunch of stupid shit that happened between /feg/ and the moderators there so the cancer is spreading all over after someone linked this thread over there.

I'm quite fond of the Fire Emblem games. Though I started the series with Awakening I've come to enjoy Fire Emblem games both old and new. I'm actually going through a run through of sacred stones at the moment and really enjoying it.
>>
>>4065669
No need for you to apologize.

I actually dislike Fire Emblem Awakening quite a bit. I listed various things I like about FE in the OP and FE:A doesn't really contain these traits. I think the level design is very uninspired and the gameplay mechanics are poorly designed. However, I do understand its appeal. The SRPG genre is somewhat of a spectrum between tactics and character building and FE games traditionally have an emphasis on tactics. FE:A appeals to a different audience because it disregards the tactics aspect and instead allows the player to build their army as they choose, offering more freedom through unlimited grinding and eugenics. I'd group traditional FE games like FE5 alongside other TRPGs like Langrisser and Front Mission while I'd group FE13 alongside Disgaea and FFTA.

>>4065653
That's true, Gaiden was rather lacking in that area. Speaking of which, a Gaiden remake came out recently. Does it make significant improvements on the original?
>>
>>4065681
It makes it faster, tacks on shallow supports and a forging system I'm mixed on, but did nothing to address Gaiden's core design problems in order to preserve the experience. There's also a bullshit postgame dungeon.

You should give Path of Radience, Radiant Dawn and Fates: Conquest a shot if you liked FE5 that much.
>>
>>4065681
>Does it make significant improvements on the original?
If you play Echoes: SoV, expect to play a superb jrpg, but a bad FE game.
>>
>>4065692
Not him but I thought Gaiden's main design problem was that it was slow. I've seen in trailers that the previously completely garbage box-"dungeon" are gone now, too. I've already played Conquest and thought it was okay, but I loved Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn. I loved Radiant Dawn's skill system a lot. I don't know if I should play the Jugdral games though, since a remake for them could come out at any time and I've only played 33% of the remakes released so far. I'll play 11 and Echoes soon, though.
>>
File: tearring saga.jpg (83KB, 615x615px) Image search: [Google]
tearring saga.jpg
83KB, 615x615px
>>4065692
>You should give Path of Radience, Radiant Dawn and Fates: Conquest a shot if you liked FE5 that much.
Oh I have and I like them a lot.

>>4065705
That's an interesting way of putting it. Sounds like it was a good remake. I try to judge games on their own merits rather than faulting them for not matching a preconceived notion.

By the way I'd like to mention Tear Ring Saga. It's essentially a FE game as it's made by the original FE series creator after he jumped ship, and I highly recommend it to anyone who likes FE and FE Gaiden because it takes a lot of notable FE2 features such as lots of monsters, world map with encounters, two protagonists, and TRS improves on those ideas. For example the two protagonists lead their own armies but meet up periodically and the player can choose how to distribute weapons and items. It also merges that stuff with with more traditional FE level design, weapon durability, classes, etc. An excellent fan translation was released recently so check it out if you want something to play.
>>
>>4065713
Gaiden's problems:
>poorly designed maps which are either boring or tedious, example: two open fields split horizontally down the middle by a one tile wide river with a one tile wide bridge
>poor class variety
>poor class balancing
>shallow dungeons
And added to Echoes:
>Mila's Turnwheel: a device that conveniently only activates during battle, never during the narrative, never brought up again after it's introduced that lets you turn back time a turn up to 12 times when it's maxed
>shallow dungeons with terrible controls
>>
>>4065713
>Not him but I thought Gaiden's main design problem was that it was slow.
Echoes addresses that. Animations are much faster than the original and the other 3ds games. The animations in general are great, watching 2 dread fighters miss each other looks like something straight out of DBZ.

Dungeons are fun desu. Never played gaiden but they don't feel like a chore, unless you're intentionally grinding. Fatigue is basically a non issue

>>4065728
Controls aren't that bad, you just shouldn't run nonstop, running in short bursts is much better. Regarding the turnwheel, that's what I had in mind when I posted >>4065705, it kills a lot of the strategic value the game has by just existing, my brain shut off on many occasions but everything went by just fine because "whatever happens, we have got the Mila's turnwheel and they have not". It's still a fun game with good narrative and a lot of heart poured into it, definitely worth a try if you like jrpgs
>>
How likely is it that IS will do a remake of Genealogy or Tharcia? I want to get into them but I'm really bothered by the aged character designs.
>>
>>4065773
Nothing is currently in development but it's fairly likely to happen one day given that FE1-3 have all been remade.

However I don't think the character designs are particularly aged, at least not in FE5, and even if they do get remade the original games will still be good games.

For example, there are DS remakes of the Akaneia games but there are pros and cons for playing them. If someone came along wanting to try the FE series for the first time I'd recommend FE3, not FE11 and 12. Changes such as reclassing and weapon triangle effects are detrimental to the level design whereas mechanics like dismounting improve the maps, and I think the simple calculations of FE3 make it a better introduction.
>>
>>4065795
Wow, makes me want to play FE3 just to see how much has changed. SD was probably my second FE game and I didn't mind it back then but even then, reclassing really felt out of phase with the game.
>>
>>4065810
It's not a bad idea to give FE3 a try if you feel like replaying the Akaneia saga but don't get me wrong, there are also some very important improvements made by Shadow Dragon. The writing is much improved, the difficulty settings are much better (FE1 and FE3 aren't challenging in the least), and the interface is a lot better. Being able to see enemy attack ranges easily is one of the best improvements of the recent FE games.
And FE3 book 1 has its downsides as well; several of the maps from FE1 (and Shadow Dragon) are not included in FE3 book 1. That means that there's also some merit to playing FE1, but I wouldn't really recommend it because I think the remakes are overall better and the famicom era interface is cumbersome.
>>
>>4065619
>What's your opinion on the Fire Emblem franchise?

Better than Final Fantasy Tactics.
>>
>>4065830
I might give those a play sometime in the future. I've been meaning to give New Mystery a playthrough since FEH introduced them earlier this week.

What maps in FE1 aren't brought back in FE3? That game looks super jank as hell so it's pretty low on my list of old FE to get to.
>>
>>4065859
If you've played Shadow Dragon you've already played the missing maps.
You can look at the maps on fireemblemwod.com if you like (but if you spoil yourself you'll ruin some of the fun). A couple notable omissions are the wooden cavalry map which incidentally is completely different in FE1 because ballistae aren't quite ballistae, and that early map with a dragon boss where Jeorge joins (just a filler chapter but I like the map).
>>
>>4065619
That's the level in Thracia I'm stuck on. Go to hell, Cyas.
>>
>>4066430
Isn't he the guy with the gorrilion leadership stars?
>>
>>4066445
Yep
>>
>>4065641
>>4065649
Used to go there until i realized it was full of shitposters
>>
Pretty great. I've played all of them but Thracia. I think I'm just going to wait for a suitable translation before I play it. Hopefully FE Switch isn't Awakening-3.
>>
>>4066430
Post your team and I'll give you some advice if you need it.
>>
How do you think Kaga feels about his old games being remade and the future of the series?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPw1oyumlKE
>>
FUCK OFF RAUL
>>
>>4068061
A new audience can try them?
Someone might look into my work and buy Vestaria Saga?
>>4067774
It's going to take me a while, the game is on my Wii.
>>
I loove FE4, it's my favorite of the series and one of my favorites overall. Those huge maps are great.

I hope it gets a remake or spiritual successor eventually.
>>
>>4069721
>Someone might look into my work and buy Vestaria Saga?
That's freeware buddy, unless you meant Berwick/TearRing
>>
I like all of the ones I've played so far. I've played the newer ones, and I am looking to get into the older ones. I like larger scaled battles, any reccomendations on which ones I should try?
>>
>>4073367
>larger scaled battles

Play Genealogy of The Holy War (FE4)
Has the biggest maps of the series
>>
>>4073367
Like the other guy said, play FE4. It's pretty much the definition of grand.
>>
>>4065705
its more fire emblem than shites ever wishes to be desu
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.