[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what's the first emotion that pops in your head when you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 10

what's the first emotion that pops in your head when you see this image or if i say "marble zone"
>>
File: 1495079494985.png (142KB, 307x220px) Image search: [Google]
1495079494985.png
142KB, 307x220px
>>4064442
The thought of billions upon billions of posts where people describe how Sonic the Hedgehog is a bad franchise because you can't hold right to win in this zone.
>>
i'm confused as why i found it hard as a kid
>>
>>4064451
>hey you know what we should put in our game that has a main selling point on being FAAAAAAAAASSSSTTTTTT
>a slow zone
fuck. you.
>>
>>4064458
The game's selling point was that it was a momentum-based platformer, but thanks for proving my point.
>>
>>4064442
How the "chorus" of Marble Zone is the single best musical moment of Sonic 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43KHCKBORWw (0:30)
>>
>>4064442
I think "man, Starlight Zone will make up for this"
>>
>>4064458

Completely ass-backwards logic, do you think SEGA's marketing department and the developers of the game were the same people or something?
>>
really long waiting sections on the block immediately pop into my mind. that and ancient greek architecture
>>
>>4064442
Anger
>>
>>4064442
I think that Marble was a slow as shit stage and Sanic was overrated.
>>
>>4064442
Marble Zone is so bad they completely skip it in speedruns through a zip glitch.
>>
File: no.jpg (18KB, 510x430px) Image search: [Google]
no.jpg
18KB, 510x430px
>>4064442
>>
>>4064451
>Hey kids, this game is about GOING FAST.
>Green Hill Zone
>I must say, this game is quite fast!
>Marble Zone
>IF IT WASN'T FOR THESE SLOW-MOVING PLATFORMS, I'D BE THE FASTEST THING ALIVE.

MGS has the same problem.

>Training mode.
>Hell yeah, now I'm super stealth soldier.
>Opens with a stealthy room.
>The landing pad area.
>Still being sneaky.
>Now you're going to stand in front of a bunch of soldiers and shoot.
>Buuuut I haven't really shot anyone up until this point.
>Do it anyway! You don't want to be a pussy like Meryl, right?
>Back to stealth.
>Ocelot
>"Hiding won't help youuuu!"
>And later, the escape part where you shoot liquid and he goes AUGH, then comes right back. How many fucking bullets can one guy take?
>Exciting music.

When games change their rules, they're shit.
>>
>>4064463
Yeah nah, that's not what they marketed. At all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8hXYNdlmiE
>>
>>4064515
If you're suggesting they skip it because they don't enjoy it, that's wrong. They skip it because it's faster. Minor correction.
>>
File: marble21.png (8KB, 320x224px) Image search: [Google]
marble21.png
8KB, 320x224px
>>4064525
fair enough they skip it because waiting for the blocks is slow as shit
>>
>>4064523
>>4064458
You can absolutely go fast in Marble Zone if you're good enough.
This guy beat every act in less than 2 minutes apiece:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veOsJy7VQMQ

The entire point of Sonic is speed as a reward for momentum manipulation and good platforming.
>>
>>4064531
In the two areas that look like your screenshot, just jump on the floating squares. You don't need the raft.
>>
>>4064531
You only need to wait for blocks on act 3.
>>
>>4064451
I hate the zone because its slow. not because its not Sonic Advance 2.
>>
>>4064552
A better recorded one
https://youtu.be/Myo6X4oXY-o

>>4064458
>fell for Marble zone is slow meme
>>
nobody knew speedrunning tactics when this game came out.
>>
>>4064578
Nice post.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6gcGpLTWwA
>>
File: 1494539957114.png (856KB, 937x912px) Image search: [Google]
1494539957114.png
856KB, 937x912px
>>4064442
how oddly smooth his animation is compared to all other enemies in the game
>>
>>4064509
oop, that doesn't answer the question. I suppose anxiety. just trying not to get hit every second from the random spikes, ceiling spikes, lava and creatures
>>
>tfw the second zone isn't Bridge Zone
>tfw no Jungle Zone either

Just kill me now desu family
>>
>>4064641
this is also due to the fact that the underground sections don't allow for a lot of free movement. it makes one claustrophobic and your jumps have to be precise compared to other levels.
>>
>>4064578
>its not slow because you can speedrun it.

pacing =/= time it takes to finish.
>>
>>4064442
That one comic where Sonic where he thinks an arrow won't hit him, proceeds to a loop-de-loop, and said arrow impales him in the face.
>>
My thoughts are
>At least it isn't Labirynth Zone

Fuck that shit.
>>
>>4064683
Has no one noticed the pattern:

Green Hill => fast
Marble => slow
Spring Yard => fast
Labyrinth => slow
Star Light => fast
Scrap Brain => slow
>>
Pretty fun level that's way better than many in overrated sequels like Sonic 3.
>>
>>4064670
You could say this for act 3 or Labyrinth Zone.
But the pacing in that video isn't slow. He didn't spend his time on waiting parts or such. He didn't even slowed down.

>>4064696
Scrap Brain is fast. I think people are just unfamiliar with the design. I'd even say it's faster than Spring Yard.
>>
>>4064497
This, I love the marble zone theme so much I don't even mind it being slower because I get to hear it while completely relaxed.
>>
File: Anger.gif (399KB, 488x519px) Image search: [Google]
Anger.gif
399KB, 488x519px
>>4064442
>>
>>4064442

Caterkiller a cute! CUTE!
>>
>>4064458
It takes just over a minute to beat each of the marble zones. If that's not fast enough for you, then you need your adhd treated.
>>
File: matthewlesko021811.jpg (33KB, 500x372px) Image search: [Google]
matthewlesko021811.jpg
33KB, 500x372px
>>4064727
>Scrap Brain is fast. I think people are just unfamiliar with the design. I'd even say it's faster than Spring Yard.
>>
>level is a bit slow and tedious
>but it makes up for it by being aesthetic and having a good tune

I like the framed pictures with the weird designs and faces.
>>
"Well, that was fun." and turn off the game.
>>
>>4064442
Bigger fan of Marble Garden desu.
>>
>>4064524
It was marketed as a normal platformer which it does a poor job of due to the floaty physics
>>
>>4064442
Makes a man feel glad that they owned a snes
>>
I either jump over him or press down.
>>
>>4064675
Odd since that would only happen in Sonic 2's Aquatic Ruin.
>>
>>4065090
They marketed it as a badass attitude mascot that can go faaaaaast
>>
File: 4f0a53afe3f4f_236921b.jpg (147KB, 700x1077px) Image search: [Google]
4f0a53afe3f4f_236921b.jpg
147KB, 700x1077px
>>4065090
>>
>>4064670

Nah, git gud and shut up lad.
>>
>>4065090

Imagine thinking the physics in Sonic are "floaty", you fuckers sorely need to learn how to play the game. The physics are as manipulable and technically solid as any 2D platformer you'll see, there's a reason the later 2D Sonics aren't as celebrated.
>>
I honestly like Marble Zone so I guess happiness. The only zone in Sonic 1 I legitimately hate is Labyrinth Zone.
>>
>>4065175
toxic faggot
>>>/v/
>>
>>4065321

Coming from the guy who thinks two equals signs and a bracket constitute an argument, great. You can't argue that "the level is too slow" and then back down when you're given multiple pieces of proof that it isn't. In a way Sonic was literally designed for speedrunning, Yuji Naka has said a big influence on designing the game was his love of Formula One and the idea of beating your best times - it's in the game's DNA and every little thing from enemy placement to alternate routes are there for the explicit purpose of memorizing and shortening your time through repeated play. If the level was a straight line there would be no challenge in this regard.
>>
>>4064497
Reminds me of based Charles Hamilton

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvcNt4Oo1sA
>>
>>4064442
mild disappointment, disdain
doesn't help that act 3's a bit more of a slog than the rest

>>4065090
>floaty
>Sonic
have you never played a Sonic game
fuck, do you even know what floaty means
>>
>>4064442
this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBb5y8IHAtE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU6T5pb9nhs
>>
Do people really complain that the whole game isn't like Green Hill Zone? Because those levels are way too boring and easy to be the whole game.
>>
>>4064935
Faster than Spring Yard is absurd, but it's a relatively quickly paced stage (other than act 3, which is just Labyrinth act 4). There are some bits that make you slow down quite a bit, unless you just take the hit, but large sections of stage only slow you down if you screw up and fall off.
>>
>>4065374
>You can't argue that "the level is too slow" and then back down when you're given multiple pieces of proof that it isn't.

Not him, but since when was there proof in this thread? Speedrunning a level doesn't suddenly makes its pacing just as fast as any other level in the game. If you ever actually looked at a map of the faster paced levels, and then a map of Marble, you'd notice that the faster paced levels are a lot larger.
>>
>>4065851
platformers are built for speedrunning, you're retarded.
>>
>>4064531
No, they skip it because it is faster to skip it
>>
>>4065920
>reading comprehension
>>
>>4065920
Pretty sure the argument was about level pacing. Not about whether the game is meant to be speedrunned or not.
>>
>>4064670
>pitifully trying to move the goalposts after getting BTFO
post more anon
entertain me :^)
>>
/v/edditor summerfags need to leave
marble zone is hot fucking garbage
it was the first time sonic team shit the bed
>>
>>4066025
If anything, it was you speedrunning faggots who misunderstood the original argument.
>>
>>4064442
Boredom

>game hyped on going fast
>slow ass levels where you just stand around waiting for blocks to come to you so you can ride them even slower across lava
>>
>not ring spilling/grabbing and invuln framing through the lava
>>
>>4064442

Joy.

As I remember buying my MD back in late 91 and greatly enjoying the pack-in Sonic 1.
before that i only gamed on home pc's, and for some reason this game just felt so much more polished.
>>
>>4064442
The only good music of the franchise.
>>
>>4064442
that I still have no clue where exactly the hitbox is on those buggers. Half the time I hit them on the head, even if I use the spin dash, I get hit as well.

It's probably why they self destruct on hit.
>>
>>4067271
You're probably rolling down a hill at them, that can make you hit the spikes before the head. The head is certainly the weak spot.
>>
>>4067271
>using the spin dash
>Sonic 1
>>
>>4067424
Anon probably just means the spin attack from pressing down while running.
>>
i go on youtube and start listening to soundtrack. thats an emotion right ?

>music will never again be as good as 16 bit era
>>
>>4065087
This. Marble Garden is fun. Marble is just meh.
>>
>>4064442
"this stage looks even cooler--wait"
>>
>>4067424
>Spin dash? In *my* Sonic 1?
It's more likely than you think. They put it in a bunch of the remakes.
>>
>>4067271
There's an actual bug that makes you get hit for seemingly no reason by them if you're going too fast.
http://sonicresearch.org/community/index.php?threads/how-to-fix-the-caterkiller-damage-bug.4178/

>>4067743
>Sonic Jam
>Sonic Genesis on GBA
>Sonic 1 on iOS/Android
that's about it, those are all the versions of S1 with spindash

Nearly no one has Jam (and either way it has awful sfx and random slowdown -- it's worst in S2, but it's present in S1 and S3&K to a minor degree). It's a port, so it mightn't have the bug, and I'm too lazy to get up and turn my Saturn on and check it, it's 2am.
Sonic Genesis is a zero-effort rewrite made by absolute incompetents and no one with any level of sense is playing it
and I'm pretty sure Taxman's S1 port fixes that bug anyway because it's a rewrite and this is almost certainly known info to him

"spin dash" is probably just referring to just rolling in that anon's sentence
>>
>>4067761
It's in the 3DS version as well.
>>
>>4067775
oh shit, I forgot that existed, and unlike the others, it's not a rewrite
it might have the bug, since it's emulation with various code patches to integrate with the menus, handle 3D, add the spindash, that sort of thing

still too lazy to go check if the issue actually does happen there, 2am and I'm curled up in bed and all that
>>
>>4067781
okay, just checked with S1 on 3DS, it totally happens when you spindash directly into one, they didn't fix it
>>
>>4064458
>fuck. you.
wow rude
>>
>>4065374
>time attack
man, on that note, the fact that none of the original Sonic games had a time attack mode until Sonic Jam is kind of fucking dumb (also, I'm pretty sure none of them until the Taxman ports
I can understand S1 and 2 not having one because no sram (and at least in S1, the level select is four buttons, so you could really easily go time attack stages manually without too much hassle), but S3 has competition mode times, but no way to do it for the main game, and it has SRAM. And Sonic CD had it. No fucking excuse.

at least S1 and S2 mobile have it (did they ever update S2 mobile to actually work on recent phones), but the lack of any version of S3 other than the Jam version (with all the issues Jam has -- not crippling, but not great) with time attack is fucking ridiculous

>>4068302
also, S1 in Sonic Jam seems to have fixed it (surprisingly, since it's got a handful of other bugs straight from the originals, like Sonic not entering ball state when jumping in S1 sometimes), spindashing at max/near max revs right into one of them hasn't hurt me once
>>
>>4067424
start running and then hold down, moron.
>>
>>4064696
I think that's the point, actually. Breaks up the pace and helps every zone feel different. Makes the fast levels seem really special.
>>
File: download (1).jpg (5KB, 240x196px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
5KB, 240x196px
>>4064442
FUCKING CATERKILLERS
>>
>>4064442
nostalgia
and the tune started playing in my head
>>
>>4064524
>'80s and '90s Mario adverts and cartoons always portray him as a plumber
>Mario games aren't about replacing pipes and cleaning out drains
Fucking bullshit.
>>
>>4068903
agreed. it's called good direction, and it's so subtle it's lost on many people when you point it out, even though the game is better for it
>>
File: sanic.gif (2KB, 100x100px) Image search: [Google]
sanic.gif
2KB, 100x100px
>>4064442
Thread posts: 91
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.