[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you recommend skipping the MSX Metal Gear games and starting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: metal gear.jpg (148KB, 1464x920px) Image search: [Google]
metal gear.jpg
148KB, 1464x920px
Do you recommend skipping the MSX Metal Gear games and starting with MGS1 for someone who wants to play the Metal Gear series for the first time?
>>
>>4059567
MGS1 to 3 is great. Terrible after that unless you like modern gaming style run and gun.

Also watch Escape from New York.
>>
Yes, read the recap in the menu in MGS1, that's sufficient for starters.
Have fun with the series.
>>
>>4059572
>>4059587
Thanks, anons.
>>
The first one isn't bad, but those pits near the end should have never been programmed into the game. And that one building with the maze floor full of poison gas can be shoved right up Kojima's ass. Mind you, I played through the NES version, so I didn't get all the cool boss fights.

The second game gets points for creativity and doing some really neat things, but it's also full of shit that will annoy the holy fuck out of you. I lost any desire to continue playing at the part where you have to follow a solder through the jungle. I hesitated for a split second going to the next screen, and the solder had vanished requiring me to start the long boring sequence all over from the beginning. I turned the game off and haven't touched it since. Still don't feel like I'm missing anything.

If you do start at MGS, you probably won't be able to get into the earlier games.
>>
MG1 can be skipped.
There isn't much to be had there. Watch a playthrough on youtube maybe. MSX/MGS3 version. NES was bad.

MG2 is worth playing. It's lightyears ahead of MG1, and you will see a LOT of things in MG2 ported into MGS1 almost directly. It's really cool to see that.

There are some low points though. The soldier following segment near the beginning is tedious, but you only need to do it once if you do it right.
The swamp is fucking bullshit, just use a map online for it.

The first boss is harder than most of the other bosses due to your low health and that you can only carry 1 ration and your only option for offense is a pea shooter.

The big unforgivable sin of MG2 is the backtracking.
You will be traversing multiple multi-floor buildings like 6-8 times. You will spend more time traveling between them then actually advancing the plot.
>>
>>4059567
>Do you recommend skipping metal gear?
Yes stay away from this garbage
>>
>>4059618
>The first one isn't bad

It's certainly not good either. If it did not do things other games were not doing at the time, it would be forgettable.
>>
I don't feel like you're missing out on much by playing Metal Gear Solid first. MG1 was forgettable, and MG2 was, while ahead of its time, also filled with unfun obscure horseshit. Nobody in this thread who claims to have beaten MG2 without consulting a guide at least once is telling the truth. Nobody.
>>
>>4059593

Take >>4059572 with a grain of salt, as only MGS 1 and 3 are great.
>>
File: 1365097154266.jpg (75KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1365097154266.jpg
75KB, 500x500px
>>4059804
>only MGS 1 and 3 are great.
>>
>>4059642
I actually feel like I got more out of MG2 having played MGS1 dozens of times in my life, seeing all the cool shit like the elevator fight, the stairway, Hind D, and Gray Fox in a "minefield" while knowing they have recurring context was really fun.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.