[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How long will it take me to beat every level in SMB without using

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7

File: gfs_49519_2_7.jpg (9KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
gfs_49519_2_7.jpg
9KB, 256x224px
How long will it take me to beat every level in SMB without using the pipes? It seems really fucking hard to do this on so few lives.
>>
How would we know. You're presumably bad but it's still a short game so I'd say an hour and a half at the most.
>>
File: 1488939853311.png (48KB, 1024x960px) Image search: [Google]
1488939853311.png
48KB, 1024x960px
>>4059028
over 9000
>>
Not a hard game. Collect all the coins you can.
>>
>>4059093
this, also try to understand the 1ups in every level and go down the secret pipes/vines if you can find them.
>>
>>4059028
No one knows. It's never been done.
>>
I forget. I was 10 years old a loooong time ago.
>>
>>4059028
man up.
>>
>>4059149
I'm willing to bet that few people have actually beaten it without warp pipes, for all the cries of it being really easy. I mean, people complain about Mega Man games which are significantly easier to beat, SMB has no continues.
>>
>>4059197
I did it once. took me about an hour. megaman is way harder. just do the 1up trick
>>
>>4059197
I agree with this.

I actually have conquered SMB1 without savestates or warp pipes, but it was a challenge. it also takes a long enough attention span to get through all 8 worlds in a row, something that is lacking among many millennials.

SMB1 has a really good difficulty curve. it's a smooth gradient from comfy ease in world 1 to taxing difficulty in world 8. as for people who say it's easy, I wonder how many have even played through world 7 and 8.
>>
>>4059197
smb has infinite continues. you just hold select after you die until the title screen comes back up.
>>
SMB is tough. I have the high score on my local arcades VS Super Mario Bros which is essentially a romhack and I almost never make it to the end. Don't feel discouraged when people say it's an easy game because it's not.
Here's a tip: piranha plants and bullet bills have similar behavior. If you are standing on/within one tile of the pipe/cannon, nothing will come out.
>>
>>4059028
About 45 minutes.
>>
>>4059234
It's a cheat, that hardly counts.
>>
>>4059315
its not a cheat if the developers intended
>>
>>4059197
I did it as a kid multiple times over multiple remakes/platforms. It's really not that hard, just takes a little dedication.
>>
I never beat the NES version, the first version I owned was the Deluxe version on GBC. Seeing as you can save, it's not really that much of a feat. But damn was it fun, I spent hours in the You vs. Boo mode. Blew my mind when I found out the Super Mario for Super Players mode that kicked my ass was an altered version of SMB2.
>>
99% of SMB1's difficulty is figuring out how to handle Hammer Bros
>>
>>4059516
this. only difficult part
>>
>>4059389
If they intended it then it would be an option on the game over screen, not some secret code.
>>
>>4059647
>The developers didn't intend to program the cheat codes they programmed into the game and later printed on strategy guides and magazines
Cheats aren't bugs dude.
>>
>>4059028
Only as long as it takes you to get good + the 30 mins or so required for a standard playthrough.
>>
2 hours if you're good and actually use the run button.
>>
>>4059197
> SMB has no continues
So are we all forgetting A+Start? Everyone knew about that, I'm pretty sure it's even in the fucking instruction book. Nobody tries to beat SMB without using continues, what the fuck, they just A+Start if they fuck up and lose all their lives. All Stars even made it there by default.
>>
>>4060131
>Nobody tries to beat SMB without using continues, what the fuck,
Seriously, it would be impossible to do it that way unless you just get lucky
>>
>>4060159
>>4060131
I really hope you guys are trolling, because SMB1 is quite literally the easiest and shortest of the first three SMBs.
>>
>>4060131
>I'm pretty sure it's even in the instruction book
No it isn't.
>>
File: v02fL.jpg (120KB, 450x390px) Image search: [Google]
v02fL.jpg
120KB, 450x390px
>>4059516
+ puzzle castle

I didn't realize as a kid that you have to listen to the sound when you hit the correct passage. Got stuck, and this was back in the late 90s. No internet, nobody had SNES anymore. It took me 10 years to beat the game.
>>
30 minutes to an hour tops.

Sounds dumb, but just enjoy the game and collect as many coins as you can. Knowing coin heaven locations help too.
>>
>>4060535
Original doesn't even have a sound or any other indication of what's going on or why you can't progress

As an adult, I have sense enough to take the most difficult path, sense that will obviously be the right one
>>
>>4059748
They intended to program it for their own testing purposes. They purposely didn't make it a menu option to the public because they didn't want the consumer quarter feeding their way to victory, in a sense.
>>
File: smb7-1.png (8KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
smb7-1.png
8KB, 1024x768px
Well, my best run so far is 7-1. I can pretty much breeze through the first five worlds, it's at 6 where I start to make stupid mistakes. It's a matter of patience, but it's doable.
I'm gonna give myself a break and just practice 6-8 via warps though.
>>
>>4059197
>SMB1 is harder than Mega Man
Never heard someone saying something like that, I mean, if it was the Jap SMB2 then it would be understandable.
Overall SMB is very samey, levels, enemies, boss(es), I think Mega Man is harder to master for being less predictable.
>>
>>4060323
>easiest and shortest
no and yes, respectively

I beat smb2, 3, and world as a kid, but never 1
>>
>>4059197
I've done it about 3 or 4 times

Usually when I play I get up to 8-3 or 8-4, game over, then try again and win with only one or two deaths
>>
I never beat the game as a kid, even with warps.

Did it without warps, continues, or the 1up trick 2 years ago. Took me about 6 or 7 attempts. You can do it OP.
>>
File: 1488153478745.gif (518KB, 500x715px) Image search: [Google]
1488153478745.gif
518KB, 500x715px
>>4059091
That's ok, I don't need my eyes anyways
How do you even fuck up a picture like this?
>>
File: looking sharp.png (211KB, 1024x896px) Image search: [Google]
looking sharp.png
211KB, 1024x896px
>>4062736
Sharpening algorithm. Also looks interesting when the source image has compression artifacts like in OP's.
>>
>>4059094
but he said no pipes
>>
>>4059389
>its not a cheat if the developers intended
The fuck am I reading?
>>
>>4059647
>pushing one button
>secret code
>>
>>4062748
That's a stupid limitation beyond the first world or so. Just don't use warps OP.
>>
>>4060925
Fuck the last level in Mega Man. It's shitty and holy fuck the respawning enemies make it practically impossible to get through the first area without taking out half of your health bar.
>>
>>4059252
VS. Super Mario is a much harder game than the NES version.

I would argue that the NES game is indeed an easy game, especially when compared to some of the other NES games out there like Ninja Gaiden.
>>
>>4062767
It fucking is.
>>
File: stop.jpg (4KB, 208x206px) Image search: [Google]
stop.jpg
4KB, 208x206px
>>4062745
>>4059091
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.